Sign in to follow this  
kmbryant09

****Week 4 Power Rankings****

1. Baltimore Ravens - We've always said the Ravens have a great defense but lacked a complimentary offense...Well guess what, they finally have it. Flacco continues to look like a top10 QB, and their running tandem of Rice & McGahee will wear down most teams.

2. New Orleans Saints - They finally showed me they could win a game that wasn't 35-27. Even with Drew Brees not having a big day, their running game and defense proved that they can win a grind-it-out type game.

3. New York Giants - Another impressive win for the Giants, both sides of the ball looked dominant against the Bucs. They get 2 more cakewalks, then face the Saints, Cardinals, Eagles, and Chargers weeks 6-9. Their season may ultimately ride on those 4 games.

4. Indianapolis Colts - One of the most impressive wins in this early season for any team, their defense responded in a huge way. And by the way, Peyton Manning continues to show why he's the best in the game.

5. Minnesota Vikings - Welcome to the team, Brett Favre. That was exactly the reason why the team acquired him in the offseason. However, I think this team needs to stick to the run as their first, second, and third options. But at least we know they have a complete offense.

6. New York Jets - Another solid win for this team, Sanchez continues to prove he's ready to lead this team to the playoffs. This week's matchup against the Saints will test Rex Ryan's defense.

7. San Diego Chargers - The offense finally got going in the 2nd half. With Rivers, Jackson, Gates, and others, this looks to be like an unstoppable pass-offense. Big matchup with the defending champs before 3 division games.

8. New England Patriots - A very impressive win against the Falcons. My biggest concern is Brady seems more like the '02-06 Brady than the '07 Brady, but this team should continue to find ways to win games.

9. Dallas Cowboys - An impressive win Monday night puts this team back on track in the NFC East. Still questions about whether they can win a big game late in the season, but for now, nobody stops the run and runs the ball better than the Cowboys.

10. Philadelphia Eagles - They've beaten a pair of 0-3 teams, and got smashed by their only competitive opponent (Saints). McNabb's return should help, but we don't know a lot about this team. They should get a few more wins before playing the Giants, Cowboys, and Chargers weeks 8-10.

The Bubble - Falcons, 49ers, Bears, Packers, Broncos, Bengals

:pointstosky:

I know this is a stunner, but I think the Bengals belong in the top 10 atm. They are 2-1 and have beaten two good teams, where as some of those other teams in the bottom 10, have either won against the weak teams or barely pulled it off.

I don't know if the Bengals can keep it up, but at this point, after putting down the defending Champs, they deserve a top 10.

19. Dallas Cowboys - An impressive win Monday night puts this team back on track in the NFC East. Still questions about whether they can win a big game late in the season, but for now, nobody stops the run and runs the ball better than the Cowboys.

You were impressed with that win??

They sqeaked by a bad team at home. And I think the whole Cowboys team got hurt.

i think most of those bubble teams should be ahead of the Cowboys and Eagles.

Also how do the Jets win but drop 2 spots? :nono:

I think that after this week, we'll have a pretty clear view of where Minnesota stands. Green Bay will be the first somewhat competent offense they have faced. If they find a way to win, I'll concede their position in these rankings. I would probably rank them: Giants, Ravens, Colts, Jets, Saints; in that order.

i think most of those bubble teams should be ahead of the Cowboys and Eagles.

Also how do the Jets win but drop 2 spots? :thumbsup:

Because they needed 2 dumb turnovers inside the redzone of the Titans (on kicks) to win that game over a winless-Titans team. I'm not saying they didn't look good, or were lucky to win that game, but one of the teams that jumped them were the Colts, who absolutely dismantled a potent Cardinals team (the Colts were actually the underdog in that game, and won by 21). Its a toss-up between the Vikings and the Jets for #5, so take your choice, I was just impressed that the Vikings finally have a QB who can win from behind, unlike Tard Jackson or Gus Ferrote.

As for those anti-Cowboys people...how can you say they barely beat the Panthers?

-Cowboys nearly doubled the Panthers in 1st downs, 24-15.

-Destroyed them in total yards, 449-271, including out-rushing them 212-73.

-They won the T.O.P by nearly 15 minutes (37-22)

-Even after losing the 1st half 7-0, I thought the Cowboys out-played the Panthers, as Carolina gained 87 of their yards on their last possession.

-Cowboys forced 3 Turnovers and sacked Delhomme 3 times.

-Falcons (a team a lot of people have in their top10, or right on the bubble), struggled to beat these Panthers last week.

How can you say the Cowboys "barely" beat the Panthers??? They have 2 convincing wins (over mediocre teams), and lost by 2 points to a top3 team...

Because they needed 2 dumb turnovers inside the redzone of the Titans (on kicks) to win that game over a winless-Titans team. I'm not saying they didn't look good, or were lucky to win that game, but one of the teams that jumped them were the Colts, who absolutely dismantled a potent Cardinals team (the Colts were actually the underdog in that game, and won by 21). Its a toss-up between the Vikings and the Jets for #5, so take your choice, I was just impressed that the Vikings finally have a QB who can win from behind, unlike Tard Jackson or Gus Ferrote.

As for those anti-Cowboys people...how can you say they barely beat the Panthers?

-Cowboys nearly doubled the Panthers in 1st downs, 24-15.

-Destroyed them in total yards, 449-271, including out-rushing them 212-73.

-They won the T.O.P by nearly 15 minutes (37-22)

-Even after losing the 1st half 7-0, I thought the Cowboys out-played the Panthers, as Carolina gained 87 of their yards on their last possession.

-Cowboys forced 3 Turnovers and sacked Delhomme 3 times.

-Falcons (a team a lot of people have in their top10, or right on the bubble), struggled to beat these Panthers last week.

How can you say the Cowboys "barely" beat the Panthers??? They have 2 convincing wins (over mediocre teams), and lost by 2 points to a top3 team...

Carolina and Tampa Bay are "mediocre"?

the funny thing is I thought you might have had the Jets a little high last week.

But taking last weeks rankings into consideration as well as the games this week, I don't see how the Colts and Vikings leap frog them.

The Colts beat a bad Cardinals team. They are 3-0 but I wasn't any more impressed with their win than I was with the Jets holding on against a winless, but still solid Titans team. You can argue that both the Cards and Titans made alot of key mistakes in those games... 2 muffed kick returns and alot of late dropped passes by the Titans... a fumble and interception near the goal-line for the Cards while the game was still close.

I just don't think the Colts win was impressive enough to vault them is all.

As far as the Cowboys, with how putrid they looked against the Giants, I think they needed to blow out a bad Panther team to re-establish a top 10 ranking. Seems still like a classic case of "they are the Cowboys, they have the potential to be X good"

not bad really overall I can justify your rankings

mine

1) Giants

2) Ravens

3) Saints

4) Jets

5) Vikings

6) Colts

7) Chargers

8) Eagles

9) Bengals (should be 3-0 defense looks good)

10) Pats

but for now, nobody stops the run and runs the ball better than the Cowboys.

True, other than the 16 teams ranked higher than them against the run anyway. But they did hold Deangelo to less than six yards per carry last night.

True, other than the 16 teams ranked higher than them against the run anyway. But they did hold Deangelo to less than six yards per carry last night.

Jeez how retarded are you....Two weeks ago they shut down the Giants "prolific running attack" to 95 yards on 25 carries (3.8 ypc, and 40 yards came on 2 carries). This week they shut down DWill and J Stewart 62 yards on 14 carries. And the Cowboys are averaging something like 173 ypc on the ground, 23 ypg more than any other team. So they are BY FAR the best running team in football (even including some major injuries), and have just faced quite possibly 2 of the best running attacks in the game, holding them to a combined 157 yards on 39 carries.

And WhiteWonder - I understand about the Vikings, maybe I shouldnt have them ahead of the Jets, but how can you call the Colts win not impressive...they were the underdogs, coming off a short week where the DEF got torn apart, traveling out west (we all know how that's supposed to work out), and facing a prolific offense. Certainly Arizona turned the ball over twice, but the Colts put up 31 points, and held a very talented offense to 10 points. If you want to call the Titans a talented team at this point (0-3), then the Cardinals are beyond that (1-2, with a close loss to the impressive 49ers and the loss to the Colts). Also, I'd consider the Titans mistakes a bigger gift to the Jets than the mistakes of the Cardinals...the Jets got 14 points on about 40 total yards on the kick return mistakes. If i remember correctly, the Colts turned the fumble into a long TD drive, and the INT came right before half??? So the Titan's turnovers almost all but accounted for 14 of the Jets 24 points, whereas the same cannot be said for the Cardinals/Colts game.

And WhiteWonder - if you call the Cowboys' performance putrid against the Giants, than the Cowboys are one drive away from being a top3 team. They had that game won until their DEF went into prevent mode and allowed the Giants to march down the field to win the game :thumbsdown:

And WhiteWonder - if you call the Cowboys' performance putrid against the Giants, than the Cowboys are one drive away from being a top3 team. They had that game won until their DEF went into prevent mode and allowed the Giants to march down the field to win the game :wall:

You forgot to mention that both Cardinals turnovers happened inside the Colts 10 yard line and at the 1 yard line. those turnovers cost the Cards 14 (at least 6) points. None of the Titan turnovers cost them easy points.

Either way im not debating which win was bigger. I do think the Titans are a better football team than the Cardinals but the main point is, the Colts win didn't impress me enough to jump the Jets (based on your rankings).

As far as the Cowboys, yeah they were putrid against the Giants. Romo was putrid and the defense was putrid. They had a good rushing game but when most of the phases are putrid, its a pretty poor game....

are you a Cowboys fan? I remember when Newbie did weekly rankings last year. It was funny watching him try to justify a top 5 or so spot for the Eagles all year.

Cowboys and Eagles shouldn't be in there (but it seems obvious you are a Cowboy/NFC East fan so that's justifiable I guess). Chargers should be nearer the 10 spot or even a bubble team. I think you don't have enough NFC North love but that's justified at this point.

At the end of the day, someone is going to have a problem with any power ranking. Yours is as good as anyone's.

Mine would be:

1. Ravens

2. Giants

3. Colts

4. Jets

5. Saints

6. Vikings

7. Patriots

8. Bengals

9. Chargers

10. Packers

Bubble teams: Cowboys, Falcons, Bears, 49ers, Broncos (I suppose I have to put Broncos here but I think it will be laughable at years end that they were considered for top 10 after week 3)

interesting......all kinds of smack talk about the Cowboys, the Packers, the Jets.........you might all take a look at the stat that means the most: point differential........who's # 1....... That would be the Saints.......+65. If they beat the Jets this weekend can they finally get some props from you peeps?

interesting......all kinds of smack talk about the Cowboys, the Packers, the Jets.........you might all take a look at the stat that means the most: point differential........who's # 1....... That would be the Saints.......+65. If they beat the Jets this weekend can they finally get some props from you peeps?

They need to win some games in December/January to get much love from me. They welter in later months because of their style of offense/being a dome team. If their run game/defense proves to be for real, then I'll start thinking about them. They beat up on a terrible Lions team at home, a hapless Eagles defense and in the one game that had anything nearing bad conditions the offense looked like crap (aside from a nice second half by Pierre). Reference the NFC Championship game in '06 at Chicago for what I'm talking about.

They definitely have an amazing offense in good conditions, I'm just not sold they are a complete team yet. By the way, point differential means very little after three games...especially given they played the Lions at home for one of those three games. The Jets have faced far superior opponents.

Having said that, I think that's the game of the week. Should be a good one.

They need to win some games in December/January to get much love from me. They welter in later months because of their style of offense/being a dome team. If their run game/defense proves to be for real, then I'll start thinking about them. They beat up on a terrible Lions team at home, a hapless Eagles defense and in the one game that had anything nearing bad conditions the offense looked like crap (aside from a nice second half by Pierre). Reference the NFC Championship game in '06 at Chicago for what I'm talking about.

They definitely have an amazing offense in good conditions, I'm just not sold they are a complete team yet. By the way, point differential means very little after three games...especially given they played the Lions at home for one of those three games. The Jets have faced far superior opponents.

Having said that, I think that's the game of the week. Should be a good one.

Yes.....there were bad conditions I Buffalo......crappy field......high winds. The difference between this game and the '06 game you mentioned is that the Saints are dominating in the 2nd half this year. Last year they lost 5 games in which they had the lead in the fourth quarter. This year they have been amazing in the second half.......putting away games with solid defence and a solid running game. This team bears no resemblence to those also-rand of the past.......give yourself a treat and watch the genius of Peyton and expert execution by Brees.......along with a very underrated D.

Who isnt giving love to the Saints?

How many of the listed teams have played 2 games without their starting QB and 1 of those games without their starting RB? Both players being pro-bowlers.

How do you think any of the other teams would do in the same situation? Indy, Min, Balt........

I'm not saying the Eagles are top 5(yet), but they should be top 10 for sure.

How many of the listed teams have played 2 games without their starting QB and 1 of those games without their starting RB? Both players being pro-bowlers.

How do you think any of the other teams would do in the same situation? Indy, Min, Balt........

I'm not saying the Eagles are top 5(yet), but they should be top 10 for sure.

Jeez how retarded are you....Two weeks ago they shut down the Giants "prolific running attack" to 95 yards on 25 carries (3.8 ypc, and 40 yards came on 2 carries). This week they shut down DWill and J Stewart 62 yards on 14 carries. And the Cowboys are averaging something like 173 ypc on the ground, 23 ypg more than any other team. So they are BY FAR the best running team in football (even including some major injuries), and have just faced quite possibly 2 of the best running attacks in the game, holding them to a combined 157 yards on 39 carries.

Not retarded at all fockface. The Cowboys are rated 17 against the run, that's just a fact. They gave up 174 yards to Tampa Focking Bay week 1. Week two they turned in a nice performance against the Giants but there hasn't been anything particularly "prolific" about that running attack this year. Jacobs is averaging less than 3.4 a carry and based on YPC the Dallas game was actually his best game so far. Bradshaw averaged just over 4, a completely average day. And the only thing that shut Deangelo down Monday was the woeful playcalling by the Carolina sideline. He averaged 5.8 yards per carry.

You forgot to mention that both Cardinals turnovers happened inside the Colts 10 yard line and at the 1 yard line. those turnovers cost the Cards 14 (at least 6) points. None of the Titan turnovers cost them easy points.

Either way im not debating which win was bigger. I do think the Titans are a better football team than the Cardinals but the main point is, the Colts win didn't impress me enough to jump the Jets (based on your rankings).

As far as the Cowboys, yeah they were putrid against the Giants. Romo was putrid and the defense was putrid. They had a good rushing game but when most of the phases are putrid, its a pretty poor game....

are you a Cowboys fan? I remember when Newbie did weekly rankings last year. It was funny watching him try to justify a top 5 or so spot for the Eagles all year.

Well to each his own in regards to the Colts/Jets victories...In all honesty, I am a Colts fan, but I am a realist. I'll be the first to admit that last Monday's win against the Dolphins was downright embarrassing, and Manning was the only reason we won that game. And I was truly impressed with this team Sunday night, not just as a homer...many people may not know this but the Colts have 11 or 12 straight regular season games dating back to last year...but to each his own :first:

To settle the Cowboy/NFC East debate - I absolutely hate the Giants and Eagles, and find myself moderately rooting for the Cowboys ONLY because I grew up in a household where my Father was the biggest Cowboy fan in the world. It go to the point where I'd root for the Cowboys just so that my family would be happy :nono: I do feel, however, that the Cowboys are scrutinized more than any team in the league. The crushed a sh!tty Bucs team, had a 21-7 win over the Panthers (who although winless, are the defending NFC champs with little turnover), and a 2 point loss, yes that's right - A 2 POINT LOSS, to one of the best teams in the league. Putrid performance or not, the Cowboys had a few bad bounces (the one off Witten's foot, and Manningham's drop in the end zone that still fell to him when he rolled over) and hung with a top3 team in this league. I don't know how anyone can debate that :dunno:

And Parrot - I'm not saying Cowboys are #1 against the run and #1 running the ball...but you'd be hard pressed to find a team that has a better run defense IN COMBINATION with a deadly running attack. Cowboys are on par, if not ahead of, the Vikings and Giants.

And Parrot - I'm not saying Cowboys are #1 against the run and #1 running the ball...but you'd be hard pressed to find a team that has a better run defense IN COMBINATION with a deadly running attack. Cowboys are on par, if not ahead of, the Vikings and Giants.

I'll take the Vikings all day but thanks for the clarification.

...many people may not know this but the Colts have 11 or 12 straight regular season games dating back to last year...but to each his own :thumbsdown:

To settle the Cowboy/NFC East debate - I absolutely hate the Giants and Eagles, and find myself moderately rooting for the Cowboys ONLY because I grew up in a household where my Father was the biggest Cowboy fan in the world. It go to the point where I'd root for the Cowboys just so that my family would be happy :overhead: I do feel, however, that the Cowboys are scrutinized more than any team in the league. The crushed a sh!tty Bucs team, had a 21-7 win over the Panthers (who although winless, are the defending NFC champs with little turnover), and a 2 point loss, yes that's right - A 2 POINT LOSS, to one of the best teams in the league. Putrid performance or not, the Cowboys had a few bad bounces (the one off Witten's foot, and Manningham's drop in the end zone that still fell to him when he rolled over) and hung with a top3 team in this league. I don't know how anyone can debate that :dunno:

im not sure what you meant about the Colts.. they have 11 or 12 straight regular season games? Im going to assume you meant won, and no I did not realize that.

as far as the Cowboys, I guess I find it funny that when you come to the defense of them and who they beat, you are more than willing to cite that the Panthers were defending division champs. But when it comes to the Jets, you only want to point out that the Titans were winless. Not that they were defending division champs and in the AFC championship last year :lol:

im not sure what you meant about the Colts.. they have 11 or 12 straight regular season games? Im going to assume you meant won, and no I did not realize that.

as far as the Cowboys, I guess I find it funny that when you come to the defense of them and who they beat, you are more than willing to cite that the Panthers were defending division champs. But when it comes to the Jets, you only want to point out that the Titans were winless. Not that they were defending division champs and in the AFC championship last year :rolleyes:

I believe you did the same, sir...when your first comment cited the "talented Titans" I believe it was....Both the Titans and the Panthers are talented, underachieving, division winners from last year...And yes I meant 12 regular season wins** thanks for the correction.

I still don't get how people can say the Cowboys' performance against the Giants was putrid and justify them not being a top10 team. If they weren't a top10 team, and they played "putrid" against the all-mighty Giants, shouldn't they have gotten blown out instead of nearly winning the game?

I believe you did the same, sir...when your first comment cited the "talented Titans" I believe it was....Both the Titans and the Panthers are talented, underachieving, division winners from last year...And yes I meant 12 regular season wins** thanks for the correction.

I still don't get how people can say the Cowboys' performance against the Giants was putrid and justify them not being a top10 team. If they weren't a top10 team, and they played "putrid" against the all-mighty Giants, shouldn't they have gotten blown out instead of nearly winning the game?

no one said the Giants played well.

Actually, I did not do the same... I never made any mention of the Titans accoplishments from last year. True, I called them a talented team (actually I said "solid team") but you took two similar teams and simply called the Titans 0-2, while citing the Panthers past accomplishments to make the Cowboys win seem more important.

So I guess long story short, if you can use the Panthers division championship from 2008 as a factor in the Cowboys win being more impressive then why not factor in the 2008 accomplishments of the Titans?

hint: neither should count for much.

no one said the Giants played well.

Actually, I did not do the same... I never made any mention of the Titans accoplishments from last year. True, I called them a talented team (actually I said "solid team") but you took two similar teams and simply called the Titans 0-2, while citing the Panthers past accomplishments to make the Cowboys win seem more important.

So I guess long story short, if you can use the Panthers division championship from 2008 as a factor in the Cowboys win being more impressive then why not factor in the 2008 accomplishments of the Titans?

hint: neither should count for much.

In the same post, you said the Colts beat a "bad Cardinals team" and the Jets beat a winless, but still solid Titans, how is that any different... :doublethumbsup:

And my original point between the Jets and Colts (not Cowboys as you keep bringing up), is that the Colts win was more impressive, more convincing than the Jets win, thats all. Not saying the Colts looked unbeatable and the Jets got lucky to win, they are both in my top6, so what's your point?

Eh nevermind.... i was just mentioning how its funny that when defending a team (the cowboys) you brought up past accomplishments of their opponents to strenghten your case. But didn't do the same with the Jets.

it had nothing to do with Jets vs Colts or Jets vs Cowboys

I think the Vikings could be at the bottom of that list if not on it at all. Yes, they are 3-0. But week 1 vs the Browns, they were losing at halftime until AP took over and gave us probably one of the greatest TD runs in history. Week 2, again losing at halftime, beat the Lions who everyone expected to be a complete blowout, and it was far from it until late in the 4th qtr and week 3 won on a miracle TD vs the 49ers with 2 seconds left. Dominant? Powerful? I just dont see it. I think the ranking has more to do with AP being there than an actual "team" ranking. JMO.

Falcons should be in there ahead of the Cowboys, but otherwise its not bad.