Sign in to follow this  
KC Deuce

The phantom TRIP

Helped me a ton. Was playing against the Rice owner . . . TD called back. We were about even scoring when this occurred.

Then, my Pittsburgh D scored two TDs instead . . . put me over the edge. Held off Carney, Witten and the Bears D (ouch).

Killed me in both ways. Obviously cost the Vikings momentum in the game and very well could have cost them the game. And in one of my games I started Rice and lost by 3. That call was a serious pile of hot garbage.

I've yet to hear a single commentator agree with the call. :music_guitarred:

Whatever. The Vikes shoulda punched it in from the one earlier in the game when they had the chance.

Ive heard several agree with the call.

The lineman went low...his leg came up.

Intent or not, it was a trip.

Honestly, try going low for a block without having your feet come off the ground...certainly possible, but at the speed that they play with, it's bound to happen. I don't know the verbatim in the rulebook, but I'm guessing they are trying to prevent players from "throwing" their legs up with intent to trip the other player...which CLEARLY was not the case on this play. It's not even like his legs were the difference in blocking him and missing the block.

The NFL rules are getting ridiculous, referees no longer have ANY judgement as to the intent of certain plays, and it's really changing the game in a negative way.

Personally I don't think "intent" should have anything to do with a call on the field. Way too subjective. Penalty or no penalty, trying to determine the intent is ludicrous.

The player called for tripping was knocked down by the defensive lineman and subsequently rolled into the other players legs causing him to trip! His back was to the tripped the player the entire time...

That cost the Vikings the game...the momentum would have swung in the Vikes favor as the Steelers couldn't do squat with the ball at that point...

Oh well...knew we'd lose one of these next 2, glad it was this one and not against the Packers...no way they lose 2 in a row after that game...

I've yet to hear a single commentator agree with the call. :thumbsdown:

Whatever. The Vikes shoulda punched it in from the one earlier in the game when they had the chance.

Cause commentators really have shown their knowledge of the rules in the past, right? :overhead:

The player called for tripping was knocked down by the defensive lineman and subsequently rolled into the other players legs causing him to trip! His back was to the tripped the player the entire time...

That cost the Vikings the game...the momentum would have swung in the Vikes favor as the Steelers couldn't do squat with the ball at that point...

Oh well...knew we'd lose one of these next 2, glad it was this one and not against the Packers...no way they lose 2 in a row after that game...

The guy was not knocked down by anyone.

Watch the play...I linked it.

he dove low...then whipped his legs up.

Tripping is sticking your leg(s) out with the intention of, well, tripping another player.

Dugan went low to block, Harrison tried to go around the block and ended up being taken down Dugan's legs.

That's why long passes when the receiver and the defender get their legs caught up in each others' aren't called as pass interference or tripping. It's incidental contact, not intentionally taking the other player down.

Would someone explain to me how you can trip someone when you NEVAH touch him! :overhead:

Would someone explain to me how you can trip someone when you NEVAH touch him! :overhead:

Seriously...jsut stop...never touched him?

Watch the clip...its right there. Its obvious why it was called...and its obvious it was the correct call.

Cause commentators really have shown their knowledge of the rules in the past, right? :overhead:

Considering the overwhelming majority of commentators are ex-players, yeah, they have a certain knowledge of the game. To put it another way, you obviously know a lot about paint, it would be foolish of me to question your knowledge of paint....that's why you're the PaintGuru.

And by commentator, I mean anyone talking/writing/commentating on the game. Still haven't run across anyone who says that was the right call. I've heard the term tickytack used often......which means yeah, it could be seen as tripping, but it happens with such regularity that officials let it slide and focus on more egregious transgressions.

It wasn't a horrible call....but it wasn't the right call either.

Tripping is sticking your leg(s) out with the intention of, well, tripping another player.

Dugan went low to block, Harrison tried to go around the block and ended up being taken down Dugan's legs.

That's why long passes when the receiver and the defender get their legs caught up in each others' aren't called as pass interference or tripping. It's incidental contact, not intentionally taking the other player down.

Official NFL rule

"Section 40 Tripping

Tripping is the use of the leg or foot in obstructing any opponent (including a runner)

(12-1-5 c)."

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...ost&id=2387

Considering the overwhelming majority of commentators are ex-players, yeah, they have a certain knowledge of the game. To put it another way, you obviously know a lot about paint, it would be foolish of me to question your knowledge of paint....that's why you're the PaintGuru.

And by commentator, I mean anyone talking/writing/commentating on the game. Still haven't run across anyone who says that was the right call. I've heard the term tickytack used often......which means yeah, it could be seen as tripping, but it happens with such regularity that officials let it slide and focus on more egregious transgressions.

It wasn't a horrible call....but it wasn't the right call either.

Watch the clip I posted...if you have not run across anyone who said it was the right call, you have only been listening to Minny people.

And yes, it was the right call.

Looking over the play at extremely slow motion, it looks like Harrison's left knee hits Dugan's ass, and the right leg never touches Dugan's leg. :overhead:

Official NFL rule

"Section 40 Tripping

Tripping is the use of the leg or foot in obstructing any opponent (including a runner)

(12-1-5 c)."

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...ost&id=2387

Again, it goes to intent. Pass interference isn't called when players legs get tangled. I've seen trips by OLs not called (don't ask me when) because they were blocking someone else and the 2nd defender tripped over the feet.

Looking over the play at extremely slow motion, it looks like Harrison's left knee hits Dugan's ass, and the right leg never touches Dugan's leg. :thumbsdown:

So the refs should have set their bionic eyes to slo-mo? Gotcha. The Vikes lost, get over it already.

So the refs should have set their bionic eyes to slo-mo? Gotcha. The Vikes lost, get over it already.

Of course not. But the video was at a bad angle to see what happened, so I used whatever I could to make out what happened.

Did the Vikings lose? Yes. I'm not too broken up about it because I expected them to lose the game.

Was it a bad call? Yes. Should the refs been able to tell that it wasn't tripping? Maybe, maybe not.

Watch the clip I posted...if you have not run across anyone who said it was the right call, you have only been listening to Minny people.

And yes, it was the right call.

Actually, listening to ESPN....hell, Merrill Hoge, the biggest Steeler homer ever even said it was a questionable call.....and the FOX crew....Moose Johnston and Fatty Siragusa also said it wasn't the right call.

And it's all very convenient for you to find a clip, and find a rule definition and say there you have it. Except you don't. The play in question happens a lot in the NFL.....and yet tripping is never called....and that is why it wasn't the right call.

I remember watching the Dallas/NYG game earlier in the year. Andre Gurode tripped Justin Tuck twice.......and those were blatant tripping calls.....dude was beat, on the ground, and obviously tried to trip the defender.

If refs are gonna start splitting hairs and follow every rule by the letter of the law, then the game is going to be mired by penalties. And that's the reason it was not the right call. Let the players play.

Watching it again... he tripped him. No room for subjectivity or evaluating the intent. That's why the rules are written in a book to be followed by the letter. My 2 cents.

Watching it again... he tripped him. No room for subjectivity or evaluating the intent. That's why the rules are written in a book to be followed by the letter. My 2 cents.

Again, watch Harrison's left leg. It hits Dugan in the ass, that's what upends him. You can't be completely sure due to the camera angle, but it looks like Harrison's right leg never touches Dugan.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlig...ings-highlights

2:20 in...sorry, that will be called a trip nearly every single time people.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Mooch seems to question it...repeatedly calling it a cross body block. Neon says it's a good call.....and we all know he's pretty much an idiot.

:dunno:

What a bunch of whiners! Watch the clip; he attempted to trip him and brought him down with his left leg. It is very obvious.

For the record, here's a clip that can be downloaded and scrolled through slowly.

Dugan goes for a cut block, perfectly legal. Harrison jukes to his right to avoid it. Just after the 3 second mark, you can clearly see Harrison's left leg being jerked back, due to it hitting Dugan's ass (or maybe lower back). Perfectly legal.

Does Dugan's right leg hit Harrison's right? Possibly, you can't definitively tell due to the camera angle. But it looks to me it was the momentum of Harrison's left leg pulling Harrison back that caused him to go down. Dugan's left leg definitely never touched Harrison.

Let me start by saying that I don't care either way so I'm totally unbiased. That play straight up was a whiff on a cut block. I don't think that was a trip at all.

Let me start by saying that I don't care either way so I'm totally unbiased. That play straight up was a whiff on a cut block. I don't think that was a trip at all.

I agree with you on that. It's just not very often I CATCH a break in Fantasy Football! :music_guitarred:

Maybe the refs just wanted to even up the bogus call that negated the Steelers TD. Go STEELERS :music_guitarred: