Sign in to follow this  
swirvenirvin

Chiefs to release LJ

http://www.sbnation.com/2009/10/27/1103259...release-johnson

REPORT : CHIEFS WAIVE LARRY JOHNSON

Real GM’s Jeff Ridson has the story: According to a team source, the Chiefs are planning to cut ties with Larry Johnson for good. Johnson was previously suspended for freaking out at his head coach and making homophobic slurs in the meantime. Now, it appears the Chiefs are completely fed up.

Sadly I can see the Pats or Seahawks signing him. I dont know why but i suppose they could.

bye bye LJ

he has to have more value on another team, so may not be bad. I mean he was a fantasy wasteland.

Patriots maybe?

he has to have more value on another team, so may not be bad. I mean he was a fantasy wasteland.

Patriots maybe?

does not matter........he has limited talent now. charles will instantly produce at a higher level than LJ did. the chiefs suck, but LJ also had a part in his sucking

does not matter........he has limited talent now. charles will instantly produce at a higher level than LJ did. the chiefs suck, but LJ also had a part in his sucking

Yeah if Charles is available decent pickup for a RB4 or flex or something. No team really in need for a RB, but I bet he gets picked up soon.

I can picture Johnson in a tri-cornered hat already. Belichick likes to demonstrate his genius by picking up retreads and reviving their careers. He also likes to rehabilitate bad apples by teaching them his Team Concept. As a bad apple has-been, Johnson would have double appeal for Belichick, who would sign Hitler if he thought Der Fuehrer would make a good change-of-pace back.

What do you guys think of Charles' value now... Worth a pick up?

Everyone will be sorry when they pick up charles and see kolbe smith take over, Kolbe runs much harder

Were all forgetting that there is the possibility ( probabale) that ehre is a league mndataed suspension. they league is investigating him. the outcome is probally a game or two suspension.

Everyone will be sorry when they pick up charles and see kolbe smith take over, Kolbe runs much harder

Is he coming off the PUP list anytime soon?

How much has LJ's poor running been a result of his own deterioration vs bad OL in Kansas? He is on a ww in one of my leagues, and if he still has what it takes with a good OL, then he would be a great add.

I seriously doubt Kolby Smith will be the better pick-up. Smith is a journeyman RB who runs very siimlar to today's L J, not the L J of 5 years ago when he had power AND speed. About the best that can be said for Smith is that he runs with determination. He lacks instincts, vision or any second gear. Over his two years as a back-up KC RB, he has gained 507 yards on 147 rushing attempts. I believe that figures out to around 3.4 YPC - and that was behind a better KC line than they have right now. Nor will Smith contribute much as a receiver - he's a capable pass catcher out of the backfield, but lacks big play explosiveness after the catch.

On the other hand, Jamaal Charles, for his faults as a dancer and a fumbler, is dynamic. He can sometimes make something out of nothing, and that is just about what the K C O-line will give him - not a hole, NOTHING. KC will be playing from behind a lot, and Charles is FAR superior to Smith as a receiver because of his big play ability. Running or receiving, anytime he does get past the LOS, Charles is a threat to go the distance.

That said, Kolby WILL get some short yardage work, will relieve Charles who is not built to be an every down back, and will vulture some off the few goal line TDs that K C might get. Both Charles and Kolby are 5'11, but Smith at just shy of 220 is 20 lbs heavier. Kolby will get his chance if Charles puts the ball on the ground too much. But otherwise the job of primary RB in KC is Charles' to lose.

I seriously doubt Kolby Smith will be the better pick-up. Smith is a journeyman RB who runs very siimlar to today's L J, not the L J of 5 years ago when he had power AND speed. About the best that can be said for Smith is that he runs with determination. He lacks instincts, vision or any second gear. Over his two years as a back-up KC RB, he has gained 507 yards on 147 rushing attempts. I believe that figures out to around 3.4 YPC - and that was behind a better KC line than they have right now. Nor will Smith contribute much as a receiver - he's a capable pass catcher out of the backfield, but lacks big play explosiveness after the catch.

On the other hand, Jamaal Charles, for his faults as a dancer and a fumbler, is dynamic. He can sometimes make something out of nothing, and that is just about what the K C O-line will give him - not a hole, NOTHING. KC will be playing from behind a lot, and Charles is FAR superior to Smith as a receiver because of his big play ability. Running or receiving, anytime he does get past the LOS, Charles is a threat to go the distance.

That said, Kolby WILL get some short yardage work, will relieve Charles who is not built to be an every down back, and will vulture some off the few goal line TDs that K C might get. Both Charles and Kolby are 5'11, but Smith at just shy of 220 is 20 lbs heavier. Kolby will get his chance if Charles puts the ball on the ground too much. But otherwise the job of primary RB in KC is Charles' to lose.

Isn't Smith still on the PUP list? Wasn't available until week 9 at jacksonville?

Write it down LJ will be a Texan if he is released. He's just what they are looking for an older RB that seems to have lost a step.

Write it down LJ will be a Texan if he is released. He's just what they are looking for an older RB that seems to have lost a step.

:blink:

You might be tempted to draw Benson comparisons but LJ has so many more carries under his belt. That being said, he will make a contribution elsewhere.

Expect a team that was planning to use a high draft pick on an RB in '10 to give him more than a long look. In that sense, the Bengal/Benson comparison holds up.

I can picture Johnson in a tri-cornered hat already. Belichick likes to demonstrate his genius by picking up retreads and reviving their careers. He also likes to rehabilitate bad apples by teaching them his Team Concept. As a bad apple has-been, Johnson would have double appeal for Belichick, who would sign Hitler if he thought Der Fuehrer would make a good change-of-pace back.

I was hoping that they would have worked something out to get him with the Vrable trade. I still think Johnson can be an asset for the Patriots, look what Dillon was able to do for them.

He's not too many years away from when he was a monster force for the Chiefs, I think he needs to just get out of there and go to a team that that has good senior leadership in the locker room.

Bleah, I finally worked up the nerve to cut him last night. If I knew the chiefs had cut him I'd maybe have hung on. But good riddance I suppose.

Bleah, I finally worked up the nerve to cut him last night. If I knew the chiefs had cut him I'd maybe have hung on. But good riddance I suppose.

I dropped him for Charles this morning too. Dependant on which team (if at any at all) picks him up I might look to re-aquire. But I think it's a longshot he is relevant this season. But we will see.

I will avoid the chiefs rbs and try to get Greene of Wells.

I was thinking of grabbing the Duke of York

I don't see anything that says they have cut him. ESPN hasn't reported it yet.

Would be smarter for them to give him the TO treatment and cut him at the end of the year.

Does anyone think the Eagles could be a destination? They don't have a short yardage back (though LJ doesn't run with much power these days anyway) and you would think they could use some depth with Westbrook hurt and McCoy probably not being ready to carry a full load just yet. Plus he is a local boy (played at Penn State) so he might have an easier time being accepted by the fans there. The Eagles have shown in the past that they are willing to take chances on players with off the field issues. Anyone think this is a realistic scenario?

Does anyone think the Eagles could be a destination? They don't have a short yardage back (though LJ doesn't run with much power these days anyway) and you would think they could use some depth with Westbrook hurt and McCoy probably not being ready to carry a full load just yet. Plus he is a local boy (played at Penn State) so he might have an easier time being accepted by the fans there. The Eagles have shown in the past that they are willing to take chances on players with off the field issues. Anyone think this is a realistic scenario?

Possible with the injury to Westy. However I don't understand why the Eagles don't use L.Weaver more. He's a young fullback that can run short yardage and has pretty good hands. I really think they are underutilizing him.

I don't see anything that says they have cut him. ESPN hasn't reported it yet.

Would be smarter for them to give him the TO treatment and cut him at the end of the year.

The T.O. rule that the players union insisted on after his Philly debacle is you can only suspend a player for four games.

The T.O. rule that the players union insisted on after his Philly debacle is you can only suspend a player for four games.

ahh, did not know that.

So is there any truth to him being cut or is it all rumors at this point?

LT should be next in line.....

how does it work for the nfl?....who can claim this hot garbage first?

Suspended 2 games , seems like a way to keep him on the team so he does not join any other teams. Looks like hes done for this year unless every RB in KC gets hurt and they need him to play.

Chiefs suspend troubled Johnson for 2 weeks Larry Johnson - RB - KC - Oct. 28 - 8:24 p.m. ET Chiefs suspended RB Larry Johnson two weeks for conduct detrimental to the team.

Johnson may only miss one game because the Chiefs are currently on a bye. He does lose two game checks worth roughly $660K. The Chiefs probably didn't release Johnson because doing so would've satisfied his wish to get out of Kansas City. Instead, they'll evaluate L.J.'s response to the punishment in two weeks while considering Jamaal Charles' play in the meantime. We still wouldn't bet on seeing Johnson in a Chiefs uniform again.

Suspended 2 games , seems like a way to keep him on the team so he does not join any other teams. Looks like hes done for this year unless every RB in KC gets hurt and they need him to play.

Chiefs suspend troubled Johnson for 2 weeks Larry Johnson - RB - KC - Oct. 28 - 8:24 p.m. ET Chiefs suspended RB Larry Johnson two weeks for conduct detrimental to the team.

Johnson may only miss one game because the Chiefs are currently on a bye. He does lose two game checks worth roughly $660K. The Chiefs probably didn't release Johnson because doing so would've satisfied his wish to get out of Kansas City. Instead, they'll evaluate L.J.'s response to the punishment in two weeks while considering Jamaal Charles' play in the meantime. We still wouldn't bet on seeing Johnson in a Chiefs uniform again.

Pretty weak IMO, 2 weeks but really only one game.