Sign in to follow this  
listen2me 23

UFC 111

The 2nd UFC event out of 3 within 3 weekends. Real solid card Favorites on the left.

Jim Miller vs Mark Bocek - Both sub guys here. Both real solid fighters with good records. Jim has only lost to Gray Maynard and Franky Edgar. Miller is the more experienced guy.

Pick: Miller UD.

Ben Saunders vs Jake Ellenberger - I really like Ben as a prospect. He was overwhelmed by Mike Swick 2 fights ago but his last fight he KO'd a tough Marcus Davis with a knee. Very tall for welterweight at 6'3, has real good knees and some BJJ. Ellenberger is a strong wrestler with 27 fights at only 24 years of age. Don't like the matchup for Saunders. He could catch him with a knee on the way in, but I think Ellenberger gets under him and gets him to the ground where he will GnP him out or control the fight.

Pick: Ellenberger 2nd round TKO.

Thiago Alves vs Jon Fitch - this is a rematch after about 3 or 4 years. Jon won the 1st by an up-kick from the bottom that caught Alves square on the jaw. But he was winning most all of the fight before the flukey KO. Both guys have grown and went on to do quite well in the UFC, both getting shots at GSP but both getting dominated for 5 rounds. Fitch brings his tough chin and great wrestling to the table, he is also a black belt in JJ. Alves brings amazing leg kicks and overall striking to the fight. He is a huge WW usually walking around at 200+ when not fighting. He has looked far more impressive than Fitch in the way of finishing fights. Fitch is one of my favorite fighters so it is hard to pick against him, he has just not looked all that good lately against inferior competition. I see Fitch taking him down at least once or twice, but Alves really working on those legs while standing. In the end it will be hard for Alves to KO Fitch, but his strikes should score more points than Fitch's takedowns. It is really hard to doubt Fitch though, in 12 UFC fights he has only lost to GSP. I will be rooting like hell for Fitch, but I think Alves has improved more as a fighter than Fitch since their last meeting. Alves says he is going to KO Fitch, I won't go that far. Hope I am wrong about the fight though. Alves is a slight favorite on the books.

Pick: Alves UD.

Frank Mir vs Shane Carwin - Another really close fights on the books. I think this comes down to whether or not Carwin catches Mir on the chin or not. He has perhaps the most KO power in the UFC or in the world of MMA. Thing about it is he is ....slooooow. He moves like a mummy. Mir's standup is better than Carwin's however, so Mir may play that game of Russian Roulette. Carwin is also a good wrestler although we haven't seen much of it. Mir since losing to Brock has beefed up to 260-265, so size won't be a factor. Actually many people talk about Carwin's size like he is a Brock Lesnar type, he isn't. Gonzaga isn't a small guy either but he looked bigger than Carwin in their meeting. Mir may actually be the bigger man now. Mir will stand with Carwin for a couple reasons, he may not be able to get it to the ground, and he loves his "new" stand up game, which was proven impressive against Kongo. I think if it hits the ground Mir can submit Carwin especially after round 1, unless he goes down hurt and Carwin follows it up on top. This is kind of tricky to predict exactly what will happen. We have a BJJ/improved striker vs a wrestler with slow but 1 punch KO power. I think Mir stays on his feet early and actually does the job standing up. Remember Carwin is undefeated and no fight has went much past 2 minutes of the 1st. I will keep the trend of it not going past the 1st round.

Pick: Mir 1st round TKO.

GSP vs Dan "The Outlaw" Hardy - If you have watched Primetime on Wednesdays you will know a good deal about this fight. Many people see this fight like the 1st Matt Serra fight. Hardy's only shot is giving GSP a shot to the chin before he can get the takedown. And that is the only way he wins. GSP is superior in all areas. Hardy is a good fighter though, with power in his hands. As seen on the show he is training with Serra in NYC on his ground game and exactly how to get that punch off against GSP. How much it helps, who knows, no one is stopping a GSP takedown. There just isn't much to say about this fight. Would be nice if GSP got into the Anderson role of trying to challenge himself by doing other things, like maybe proving a point and standing with Hardy and finishing him there. That would be kind of stupid but it would be cool. That just isn't GSP. He says however he wants a fast finish rather than a 5 round destruction. I will be rooting for the Brit to pull off the flash KO. I think it would be good for the UFC and would be nice to shake some things up. But in the end that isn't going to happen, GSP by being better in this one.

Pick: GSP 2nd round TKO.

Winner of Carwin-Mir gets Lesnar unless too beat up to go in the summer. And then Cain Velasquez gets it. If they are a go look for JDS vs Cain which would be a GREAT fight.

Winner of Fitch - Alves MAY get a rematch with GSP, yea I know who cares. If not the winner of Paul Daley and Koscheck may get it.

So who ya got?

I like Carwin instead of Mir.

Mir knocked the fock out of Kongo and might be impressed with his new stand up game...but Kong aint no Carwin. Carwin while slow (i admit) is 11-0, wears a size 5xl glove, and no ones made it past the first round with him. I love Mir's new look and I know he's jonesin to fight Lesnar, but I think Carwin catches him with a fist to the mouf.

I read the GSP line was -625.

Due to the one punch factor, I honestly would have never guessed someone would be such a heavy favorite in a UFC main event.

anyone know how much they will be charging to watch the fight at the theaters?

No idea. But I got to hooters and they charge 10 bucks. Good deal if I'm going with a small group.

Bad deal if I'm going with a group of like 10...because we all coulda just paid 5 bucks to have it at home.

No idea. But I got to hooters and they charge 10 bucks. Good deal if I'm going with a small group.

Bad deal if I'm going with a group of like 10...because we all coulda just paid 5 bucks to have it at home.

Hooters in KC it's been free when I've gone. Super packed, which is a minus.

The one good thing is that Hooters puts the A team waitresses on the floor during UFC. You'll never see a Tuesday afternoon Hooters waitress work on UFC night.

:mad:

I like Carwin instead of Mir.

Mir knocked the fock out of Kongo and might be impressed with his new stand up game...but Kong aint no Carwin. Carwin while slow (i admit) is 11-0, wears a size 5xl glove, and no ones made it past the first round with him. I love Mir's new look and I know he's jonesin to fight Lesnar, but I think Carwin catches him with a fist to the mouf.

Ever since Mir went on Lesnar's "diet" I can't wait to see him get back in the ring with Brock and get crushed again.

Hope Carwin wins. I'm tired of Mir getting his ass handed to him by Brock. Unless he catches him, Lesnar is simply too big and powerful. Let someone else have a shot.

Also, Hardy can't touch GSP. No one at that weight can. I'm hoping for another flat-out destruction so that maybe there's some major push for a GSP/Silva (or some other elite fighter from a different weight class) super fight in the future. Unless you want to see GSP sleepwalk through wins against a guy like Koscheck or fight BJ Penn for the 40th time, that's about the only option.

Also, Fitch wins. I know he probably wont, but I'm not gonna pick him to lose because you could hit that guy with a truck and he'd keep coming at you.

:thumbsup:

After a CAT scan Alves cannot fight. Not sure what is wrong, may be career threatening.

Not sure what they do with Fitch.

Greeaaaat...

Is the Ice Man done for good?

The "Ice man" King Parsons has been done for a while!

Also, I didn't know George Gervin could fight...

Hardy upsets GSP with a 2nd round TKO

Carwin round 1 TKO beating Mir

Saunders over Fitch by unanimous decision

Updated Fight Prediction:

Jon Fitch vs Ben Saunders - Saunders was fighting Ellenberger a strong wrestler, not much has changed as Fitch is a strong wrestler but with BJJ and is perhaps the toughest guy in the UFC. Fitch is fighting a guy who brings much more reach than Alves did, and with powerful knees. Saunders won't be as near as strong as Alves and Fitch should be able to take him down easier than he would have Alves.

Pick: Fitch UD. I could see Fitch getting a rear naked choke here.

Hope Carwin wins. I'm tired of Mir getting his ass handed to him by Brock. Unless he catches him, Lesnar is simply too big and powerful. Let someone else have a shot.

Also, Hardy can't touch GSP. No one at that weight can. I'm hoping for another flat-out destruction so that maybe there's some major push for a GSP/Silva (or some other elite fighter from a different weight class) super fight in the future. Unless you want to see GSP sleepwalk through wins against a guy like Koscheck or fight BJ Penn for the 40th time, that's about the only option.

Agree with the GSP opinion.

I think White is going to milk Lesnar for everything he can. At some point, you know they're going to try to sell Lesnar/Mir 3.

Is Velasquez going to fight Dos Santos for the next in line shot (after Carwin/Mir)? That's a fight I'd pay to see. I'm guessing the loser of Carwin/Mir will get either Velasquez or Dos Santos.

Either way, I see Lesnar getting beat sometime in the next couple years.

I have a feeling after tonight we'll be waiting for Mir/Lesnar 3 and he'll get crushed again. There seems to be a big gap between him and the rest of the HW division. Mir obviously went on his "diet" to pack on weight to match him but he simply isn't big enough. Cain is a bit too raw and Dos Santos is too small and not good enough on the mat. I think we'll be waiting until Lashley gains some more experience before we see a legit challenege to Brock.

That was beautiful. Nice to see Mir get his fat focking mouth shut up again. Took the ref an awful long time to stop that one, and I'm not mad about it.

Hardy is unreal, he should have tapped out 3 times. GSP dominated the fight but, I was really impressed with Hardy's ability to not give up. I literally saw him go to his happy place when GSP was hyperextending his elbow.

Hardy is unreal, he should have tapped out 3 times. GSP dominated the fight but, I was really impressed with Hardy's ability to not give up. I literally saw him go to his happy place when GSP was hyperextending his elbow.

He might have gotten worked over the entire fight but he definitely earned a lot of tough cred in my book as well. It amazes me that someone who never wrestled competitively before can work takedowns and ground control like GSP can, he is unbelievable. It's a shame that the LW and WW divisions are cleaned out of challengers and the only option for Penn and GSP is to move up.

He might have gotten worked over the entire fight but he definitely earned a lot of tough cred in my book as well. It amazes me that someone who never wrestled competitively before can work takedowns and ground control like GSP can, he is unbelievable. It's a shame that the LW and WW divisions are cleaned out of challengers and the only option for Penn and GSP is to move up.

Yea, GSP is ridiculous.

I'm guessing he takes on the winner of Paul Daley and Josh Koscheck and then moves up. No one wants to see a Alves or Fitch rematch that bad.

Hardy lost every drop of respect I had for him. Any pro fighter can try to survive 25 minutes in the ring with anyone else.

Hell, most of them can probably try to survive against Carwin for 25 minutes.

Hardy did not even attempt one offensive assault during the fight, all he did was try not to lose the fight.

For a cocky focker like him, talking the whole time about how he was going to try to hit GSP as much as possible, I saw fear in his eyes for the whole 25 minutes. I would have given him credit if every time they stood up, he went balls out trying to KO gsp...but he didn't, he was scared to death of getting taken down.

Carwin was great. Good strategy against someone you can't really have a boxing match or jujitsu match again.

Hardy lost every drop of respect I had for him. Any pro fighter can try to survive 25 minutes in the ring with anyone else.

Odd, about everyone I've heard including myself ended up with the opposite reaction.

GSP makes most look like that.

I'll give GSP credit on a well fought fight. I liked the way Hardy was able to last but I do wish he would have tried to put up more of a fight when standing. Now if GSP could get some trunks and get away from the tights.

Lesnar does such a great job on the mic. He brings the additude that more UFC fighters should bring. The Carwin match should be off the hook.

It sucks when one guy is outclassing the other, and the opponent just decides to try and survive as oppose to taking chances for the win.

I wouldn't say anything dramatic like the sport is dying or whatnot, but it's too bad every fight can't be badass.

Odd, about everyone I've heard including myself ended up with the opposite reaction.

GSP makes most look like that.

You know the fight got out of hand when you and your buddies made it into a drinking game. Everytime hardy got taken down, you took a sip of beer. And at the end of the fight, you all were 6 beers down.

It sucks when one guy is outclassing the other, and the opponent just decides to try and survive as oppose to taking chances for the win.

I wouldn't say anything dramatic like the sport is dying or whatnot, but it's too bad every fight can't be badass.

Wasn't THAT excited for the card. Everyone knew GSP would dominate. But at least we also got toss up of a fight for the Co Main Event. Too bad the Fitch Alves fight couldn't go on as scheduled that would have been a barn burner. There are other fights that spark my interest and that I don't have to shake myself from being half asleep. And there is alos BJ and Anderson Silva on the same card in 2 weeks, Machida-Shogun rematch in a little over a month. Rampage-Rashad. See this Hardy-GSP fight wasn't thought of as a big time fight of the year. There are 3 or 4 matches within 2 months that are more intriguing than this one was...

Trying to steer away from my Bitter Betty posts...Carwin fight one hell of a match. I can't wait until Brock vs Carwin.

Brock really haven't REALLY been hit in the face yet. I'm definitely excited. Carwin will need to work on his takedowns and ground defense if he wants to win.

You know the fight got out of hand when you and your buddies made it into a drinking game. Everytime hardy got taken down, you took a sip of beer. And at the end of the fight, you all were 6 beers down.

Did everyone you were watching with expect different? Did he not take Fitch down a whole bunch when Fitch is a top 3 wrestler in teh division and Hardy isn't really a wrestler at all? Did you or anyone think it would be that hard for GSP to get take downs? GSP was a -800 favorite, it was what it was. Don't get to see many Serra-like KOs. -800 is a rather large number with 4 oz gloves on.

In the end I don't get that excited when GSP, BJ, or Anderson fight at their weight anymore. They are just too good right now. And GSP is the least entertaining when he dominates so I look forward to his fights less than Penn or Anderson destruction's. Will be fun to watch when they all move up a weight.

Did everyone you were watching with expect different? Did he not take Fitch down a whole bunch when Fitch is a top 3 wrestler in teh division and Hardy isn't really a wrestler at all? Did you or anyone think it would be that hard for GSP to get take downs? GSP was a -800 favorite, it was what it was. Don't get to see many Serra-like KOs. -800 is a rather large number with 4 oz gloves on.

In the end I don't get that excited when GSP, BJ, or Anderson fight at their weight anymore. They are just too good right now. And GSP is the least entertaining when he dominates so I look forward to his fights less than Penn or Anderson destruction's. Will be fun to watch when they all move up a weight.

I just expected Hardy to at least fight back...

http://www.fightmetric.com/fights/GSP-Hardy.html

Hardy landed 1 shot in 5 rounds on his feet.

I just expected Hardy to at least fight back...

http://www.fightmetric.com/fights/GSP-Hardy.html

Hardy landed 1 shot in 5 rounds on his feet.

Yea, I expected Hardy to throw, even wildly throw some more punches. Even after the 1st round he should have realized it doesn't matter if he opens himself up for a take down, he would get taken down regardless.

Wish he would of, but like I said in my original post, Hardy has/had nothing more than a Matt Serra punch to win the fight, and that was the only way of winning.

Not sure how the UFC can keep selling GSP fights. I hear they may take the winner of Kos/Paul Daley and put them on TUF with GSP. And I actually would like that. Both guys are talkers, and both are real good fighters. Not that they have much of a chance, but I think it would be a good season and a good way to promote it. I hope they do that and then GSP moves up.

There are some fights at 185 I wouldn't mind seeing even if its not Anderson he is facing. Belfort and Chael Sonnen come to mind. Belfort is a furious striker and Sonnen is just as good of a wrestler at 185 as GSP would be. I think Marquardt would be a great fight as well, but they train together.

If I was Dana I would be pushing the top 3 P4P guys to all move up...and at teh same time. Penn doesn't need to fight GSP again but if he moves up it frees up the LW division and he has some good matchups, Alves, Fitch, Kos, Paul Daley, Hardy. Some strikers in there in which he couldn't just beat up on the feet. GSP moves up, like I said has some interesting match ups. Anderson moves up and any fights becomes very entertaining. Would bring a whole new set of match ups to these guys.