Sign in to follow this  
jocstrap

2nd round pick to match up with CJ2k at 1.6

I have a draft coming up middle of May. I get to keep CJ2k for my 1.6 keeper as my first round pick. 12 team ppr, must start 3 wr's, 2rb's and 1 flex.

Who do you like to match up with CJ2K in the 2nd round at 2.7?

QB - anybody except Brees or Manning should still be available. Brady or Rogers here? There are very few QB's that look good to me on paper this year. After my top 7, it's a focking crap shoot who will lead that pack.

RB - all sorts of names I think will be here, but can they beat out a top WR? RB's that I think will be available at 2.7 McCoy, Matthews, Spiller, Charles, Benson, Forte, Grant, Pierre Thomas, any of Dallas'.

Close call Rb's available - Beanie, Moreno, Greene, Stewart, Mendy (and a couple of these names, the owners might keep - 1 keeper league)

NOTE: If a couple of names fall in the RB department I'm all over them.

WR - - I think AJ, Fitz, Wayne, Calvin will be gone or kept. I think Jennings, Marshall, Moss, White, Colston, and Desean are here this pick, but all gone by the time it comes back around to me at 3.6. Do I pull the trigger now?

If Andre Johnson is there I would not hesitate to pick him. That will give you the top rb and top receiver out of the gate. Good luck!!

I guess I should have read better. I thought you said AJ would be available. Either way take the top receiver that is available. Receivers will win it for you.

I think you have to take Moss if he's available, but if not I would lean toward White with Rodgers close behind (6 pts for all TD's?).

If Rodgers is available, snag him up - IMO, there are 3 elite, sure-fire QB's (Rodgers, Brees, & Manning), and another 4-5 solid, but not "league-winners" in Romo, Rivers, Schaub, Brady, Favre (?).

If Rodgers isn't there, I'd definitely look to snag either Mendy, Greene, or Wells (in that order), if they are available...although I'd be a bit hesitant to take Wells in the 2nd.

Assuming you get either Rodgers or one of those 3 RB's, there'll still be a handfull of solid WR's to choose from with your next few picks (Jennings, DeSean, Austin, S. Rice, White - 1 will be available in Round 3).

I think ideally you'd go CJ24 (1), Rodgers (2), Austin/White/Jennings (3), and then draft best available RB/WR for the next 4 rounds, unless a tremendous value at TE falls.

WR

WR

QB

from the first three responses. Where did the days of drafting rb 1st, rb 2nd, then rb/wr 3rd go?

What's wrong with a CJ2K, Benson, and a Dallas RB to start off your first three rounds? Especially if you're having to start 2 running backs with an additional flex? A RB can get just as many receptions as a WR, then you have the actual handoffs making a rb more valuable in a ppr.

I'll fill the rest of my lineup with 6 of the 100 possible remaining WR's, a crap shoot of 2 QB's in that 12-20 range, and I know I'll find a rb#4 and rb#5 gem in the 8th-16th round (kicker and defense always last two picks).

WR

WR

QB

from the first three responses. Where did the days of drafting rb 1st, rb 2nd, then rb/wr 3rd go?

What's wrong with a CJ2K, Benson, and a Dallas RB to start off your first three rounds? Especially if you're having to start 2 running backs with an additional flex? A RB can get just as many receptions as a WR, then you have the actual handoffs making a rb more valuable in a ppr.

I'll fill the rest of my lineup with 6 of the 100 possible remaining WR's, a crap shoot of 2 QB's in that 12-20 range, and I know I'll find a rb#4 and rb#5 gem in the 8th-16th round (kicker and defense always last two picks).

Seriously? This is too easy...

Benson? big question mark - Dallas RB?? I'd almost rather a Denver RB.

2 RB's with an additional flex, starting 3 WR's in a PPR league??? I'd be tempted to start 4 WR's and 2 RB's, not 3 & 3.

A RB can get just as many receptions as a WR???? Since when? What RB gets as many catches as a starting WR???

A Crapshoot at QB? If you wait till Round 6+...you are likely starting McNabb, Ryan, Flacco, Eli, etc. while your competitors are starting Manning, Brees, Rodgers, Rivers, Brady.

If you're going to find a RB #4 or 5 to pair with Chris Johnson as a starter, why not draft WR's & a QB in rounds 2-5? According to you, you could have Rodgers, Roddy White, S. Rice, Steve Smith, CJ24, and another solid RB.

Of course, that's only the case if you draft the exact opposite as you just described...

Seriously? This is too easy...

Benson? big question mark - 1362 total yards with no competition to lose carries on an improving team is a question mark? Dallas RB?? 1153 total yards from MBIII last year with 250 touches, and Jones is the starter this year - -he could have great numbers if he touches the ball 250 times - he was already over 800 yards with only 135 touches. I'd almost rather a Denver RB. I'd take Moreno all day long at 2.7 with Chris Johnson

2 RB's with an additional flex, starting 3 WR's in a PPR league??? I'd be tempted to start 4 WR's and 2 RB's, not 3 & 3. RB's get tons of points with those receptions out of the backfield. 4 WR is destined to fail

A RB can get just as many receptions as a WR???? Since when? What RB gets as many catches as a starting WR???

Ray Rice had more receptions last year then Desean Jackson, Vincent Jackson, Marques Colston, #85, Derrick Mason, Donald Driver, Steve Smith (car), Greg Jennings and Calvin Johnson.

Tim Freakin' Hightower had more receptions then Mechem, Harvin, Nicks, TO, Manningham, Cotchery, Maclin, Garcon, and the same as Mike Sims Walker and Nate Burleson

A Crapshoot at QB? If you wait till Round 6+...you are likely starting McNabb, Ryan, Flacco, Eli, etc. while your competitors are starting Manning, Brees, Rodgers, Rivers, Brady. - - - Yes, I agree here

If you're going to find a RB #4 or 5 to pair with Chris Johnson as a starter, why not draft WR's & a QB in rounds 2-5? According to you, you could have Rodgers, Roddy White, S. Rice, Steve Smith, CJ24, and another solid RB. I'm not 100% sold that White, Rice, SS, could outproduce my #2 running back from the 2nd round. I will take my chances finding a wr later in the draft that could put up similar numbers to White, Rice, and SS ala Vincent, Steve Smith (NYG), and Austin's of last year.

Of course, that's only the case if you draft the exact opposite as you just described...

A stud QB in the 2nd is an option. I would much rather be starting a Rogers over an Eli or McCrapster.

I'm just not sure of the WR pool this year. There are only a couple of superstuds IMO that I am comfortable with. My WR's ranked 4-25 could all end up with the highest stats by years end. I guess this is why I prefer a RB pick vs a WR pick. I can find my WR's in later rounds - at least I hope.

A stud QB in the 2nd is an option. I would much rather be starting a Rogers over an Eli or McCrapster.

I'm just not sure of the WR pool this year. There are only a couple of superstuds IMO that I am comfortable with. My WR's ranked 4-25 could all end up with the highest stats by years end. I guess this is why I prefer a RB pick vs a WR pick. I can find my WR's in later rounds - at least I hope.

Cedric Benson doesn't catch passes though. He only had 17 catches last season. He finished the season with 189 points in standard PPR leagues. Just by a quick count, there were OVER 30 WR's and TE's that outscored Cedric Benson in PPR leagues last season. He also has a less than stellar history, tends to miss some games, and is in a contract dispute. I wouldn't go anywhere near him in the 2nd round of a PPR league. He is one of those RB's who takes quite a hit in PPR leagues versus standard scoring leagues.

I agree Felix Jones could be a very nice player this year. But I can't see him getting 250 touches with Barber and Choice still there. 200+ is possible though if he can stay healthy. I just can't project him as more than a 4th round pick this season, considering he has had some injury problems as well.

In PPR leagues, you want an elite pass catching back, but beyond that, wide Receivers do much of your heavy lifting over a good amount of RB's. As seen in the first statement, over 30 WR's/TE's outscored the 189 points put up by Cedric Benson last season. There are a few very good pass catching RB's, as you mentioned Ray Rice is one of them (along with MJD, CJ, Gore, Addai, Sjax, even Hightower, etc). But in general, many WR's will outscore RB's in PPR. Starting a 4th WR at flex is often a better choice than starting a 3rd RB. You want to avoid RB's that catch less than 20 passes per season in PPR. Unless they put up a Michael Turner in 2008 type season, they will not be your highest scorers in this format.

Agree with both your thoughts on QB. I tend to wait on QB's in most of my drafts, but if you can get Aaron Rodgers in the 2nd round, I think you almost have to do it.

My point was the Dallas backfield is a mess - and if you're going to draft Cedric Benson thinking he's a sure thing....well keep your fingers crossed.

You mention Rice, he'll be gone. Hightower will lose time to Wells and won't come close to those reception totals next year with Leinart at QB. PPR tends to overvalue 2 types of players - WR's, and pass-catching RB's. Most pass-catching RB's are gone in the first round and a half (Rice, MJD, Gore, SJax, etc)...Guys like Benson, Greene, Wells, who would be available at 2.7, don't catch a lot of passes. That being said, it'd be tough to pass up Mendanhall or Greene at 2.7, but if Miles Austin/Fitzgerald is available at 2.7, I'd jump all over that.

I think there's about 12-15 top WR's to have this year, that will be fairly safe and reliable, and I can only say the same about 4 RB's. It's the nature of the business - RB's come and go, and are much more of a crapshoot from year to year.

Can Gore stay healthy? Can Greene handle the full workload? Can Wells be a full-time starter? Will the Rams offense be good enough for SJAX to produce? Who wins the starting spot in Dallas, and can Felix Jones stay healthy? Will McCoy be the next Westbrook? Can Benson stay motivated/successful? Can Mendanhall find running lanes without Big Ben at QB?

The same can't be said about WR's and QB's. There's a much higher probability that Rodgers, Austin, Fitzgerald, Marshall, DeSean Jackson, Roddy White are steady performers, especially over the likelihood that Wells, Greene, Benson, or the Dallas RB produces consistently.

LAST YEARS SCORING IN THIS LEAGUE

There were 21 running backs in the top 100 - - - Kevin Smith was #100 with 205.3 points

There were 21 wr's in the top 100 - - Greg Jennings was #97 with 209.0 points

Aaron Rogers led this league with 498.8 points. OK, if Rogers is still available (i doubt it), I might have to pull the trigger on a qb in the 2nd round :pointstosky: - - - Totally goes against all my beliefs in fantasy football, but he's the pick if he's still there.

I think I'm going to have to do a few mocks, and see which route I like the best. Thin at the top for superstars in all positions - - - great depth though all over the place.

I think you have to take Moss if he's available, but if not I would lean toward White with Rodgers close behind (6 pts for all TD's?).

Moss would be nice. I'm not too sure what happened last year though in weeks 2,5,&14 - - that's what concerns me about him. Then again you have a decent shot at multiple td weekends with him on your roster.

Cedric Benson doesn't catch passes though. He only had 17 catches last season. He finished the season with 189 points in standard PPR leagues. Just by a quick count, there were OVER 30 WR's and TE's that outscored Cedric Benson in PPR leagues last season. He also has a less than stellar history, tends to miss some games, and is in a contract dispute. I wouldn't go anywhere near him in the 2nd round of a PPR league. He is one of those RB's who takes quite a hit in PPR leagues versus standard scoring leagues.

I agree Felix Jones could be a very nice player this year. But I can't see him getting 250 touches with Barber and Choice still there. 200+ is possible though if he can stay healthy. I just can't project him as more than a 4th round pick this season, considering he has had some injury problems as well. MBIII had 250 touches last year as the starter - there is a chance:) Injuries are my concerns

In PPR leagues, you want an elite pass catching back, but beyond that, wide Receivers do much of your heavy lifting over a good amount of RB's. As seen in the first statement, over 30 WR's/TE's outscored the 189 points put up by Cedric Benson last season. There are a few very good pass catching RB's, as you mentioned Ray Rice is one of them (along with MJD, CJ, Gore, Addai, Sjax, even Hightower, etc). But in general, many WR's will outscore RB's in PPR. Starting a 4th WR at flex is often a better choice than starting a 3rd RB. You want to avoid RB's that catch less than 20 passes per season in PPR. Unless they put up a Michael Turner in 2008 type season, they will not be your highest scorers in this format.

I just posted that 21 running backs and 21 wr's were ranked in the top 100 last year in our league. I wanted to go check out our scoring after I read this. They seem to be about = actually.

Agree with both your thoughts on QB. I tend to wait on QB's in most of my drafts, but if you can get Aaron Rodgers in the 2nd round, I think you almost have to do it.

Last year I was targeting McNaab - - - I took him in the 5th. This year there are 7 qb's I would love to have on my team and I think they will all be gone by the 4th. I might have to draft a qb earlier than I want to

Moss would be nice. I'm not too sure what happened last year though in weeks 2,5,&14 - - that's what concerns me about him. Then again you have a decent shot at multiple td weekends with him on your roster.

In order: Revis, Champ Bailey, and a crappy game (in fact, the one that inspired all the "Moss has quit on his team" chat last year...right before he went for 4 TDs over the next 2 games). Still, I'll take only 3 terrible weeks from my #1 WR, since everyone's spotty from time to time, especially when that WR puts up those devastating 2 and 3 TD performances a few times a year. My concerns about Moss this year are primarily related to Welker; if Welker can't go, that makes covering Moss deep a lot easier, and he could struggle. I've heard a small number of people say they think he could quit if the Patriots take a step back this year, but I'm not worried about that since this is a contract year for him. If it happens, that should balance things out. If he's there at 2.07, I think he's worth taking, unless you'd rather look for youth you can hold onto longer and pursue a guy like Roddy White.

I would make your list and just look for value. In a league where you have to start 3 WRs and can start 4, I would definitely want to come out of the 3rd round with at least one receiver, and the think the idea of grabbing an elite QB if available is smart. Maybe you can wait till the 4th and still grab Romo or Schaub, but if a couple QBs are being kept, you might miss your chance.

Normally, I would grab a WR.

But.........................if Mendy is available I would be all over him at 2.7. Just too much upside and you would end up with a great 1-2 punch at RB. Then a WR in round 3.

just my 2 sense!

But.........................if Mendy is available I would be all over him at 2.7. Just too much upside and you would end up with a great 1-2 punch at RB. Then a WR in round 3.

just my 2 sense!

72.6% chance the owner keeps him - so he says (FamousB the 2X back to back champ). He has no other options on his roster, but he might not keep anybody and take a 1st round pick instead. I just don't think Mendenhall will make it back to me at 2.7.

Like I said, if a targeted RB of mine falls, this won't even be a discussion :thumbsdown:

Mock #1 of through rounds 4.

Drafting position 1.6, 2.7, 3.6, 4.7

1.6 CJ2K - - my keeper and 1.6 is my spot

2.7 Jamaal Charles - eh, not too happy with the two new additions

3.6 Cedric Benson - - eh, very low in the reception category

4.7 OchoCinco - - eh, zero % chance of more than 10 td's on the year. But lots of yards!

5.6 - - I wanted a QB here, and non were left that I'm happy with - so I'm done with this mock

Mock #2 coming soon after looking at that start. But I'm a rb type of ff player, and this is how I start.

There were 21 running backs in the top 100 - - - Kevin Smith was #100 with 205.3 points

Aaron Rogers led this league with 498.8 points. OK, if Rogers is still available (i doubt it), I might have to pull the trigger on a qb in the 2nd round :thumbsup: - - - Totally goes against all my beliefs in fantasy football, but he's the pick if he's still there.

I think I'm going to have to do a few mocks, and see which route I like the best. Thin at the top for superstars in all positions - - - great depth though all over the place.

Your scoring system must be a little different than standard PPR scoring then. Kevin Smith only had 1156 total yards (1 pt per 10 yards), 40 catches, and 5 TD's. This is only 146 points in a standard PPR league. He also had 2 fumbles so it may be more like 142 points. Greg Jennings had 203.30 points in standard PPR leagues last season.

In a standard scoring league, I would say there is a greater pool of WR's that outscored RB's. You will often find a more consistent 4th WR than a 3 RB to start at flex in a standard PPR league.

Now if you leagues scoring is somewhat different, then you obviously have to make adjustments based on your leagues scoring system.

just my 2 sense!

Gotta keep an eye on Jonathan Dwyer here, he could end up being the Steelers goalline back this season.

Aaron Rogers led this league with 498.8 points. OK, if Rogers is still available (i doubt it), I might have to pull the trigger on a qb in the 2nd round :overhead: - - - Totally goes against all my beliefs in fantasy football, but he's the pick if he's still there.

this is one of my favorite discussion in all of fantasy football.

the fact that Aaron Rodgers led the league with 498.8 points does not matter unless your league allows you to start a QB in the flex spot. If not, what you really want to be looking at when deciding on when to draft a QB is the disparity between Rodgers and the next best QB since each team can only start 1.

If there is a huge dropoff in points between a RB you can select in round 2 and one you think will be there in round 3 but only a small dropoff between Rodgers and a QB you can get in round 3, you are best off taking the RB in round 2. If the bigger dropoff exists among the QB's, then you take Rodgers.

im not saying dont draft Aaron Rodgers, Im saying don't do it just because he led the league in scoring.

if u r starting a fantasy roster with an elite player like a chris johnson, it leaves you open to risk on selecting a home run/strikeout player thereafter.

yet, if a guy like aaron rodgers is available, u have to select him. he is indeed in the ultra elite top3 at his position, and has a very high% chance of distancing himself from the next guy behind him on the end of yr qb list, in addition to leading it himself.

obviously, relative values and position marginal utility plays a role here, but overall, on face value of the names you are mentioning, i'd go with brandon marshall----with a rifle-armed henne and a poised fins team and offense ready for breakout, marshall seems ready to follow up and augment his first 10TD season and continue his 100rec counts.

I would grab a RB in the 2nd, Charles, Mendenhall or Mathews if possible

then in the 3rd I would go Schaub, Rivers or Romo.

Wide Receivers are getting deeper by the year it seems, Id much rather have 2 solid non committee RB's and piece together some WR's they are plenty deep. Every team has a 1k + reciever, and alot of teams have 2

how many 1k RB's you think there will be?

Id lean towards Mathews in the 2nd, he could easily eclipes LT's 12 tds last year, and Im pretty positive he will have more yards

I would grab a RB in the 2nd, Charles, Mendenhall or Mathews if possible

then in the 3rd I would go Schaub, Rivers or Romo.

Wide Receivers are getting deeper by the year it seems, Id much rather have 2 solid non committee RB's and piece together some WR's they are plenty deep. Every team has a 1k + reciever, and alot of teams have 2

how many 1k RB's you think there will be?

Id lean towards Mathews in the 2nd, he could easily eclipes LT's 12 tds last year, and Im pretty positive he will have more yards

I was burned a long time ago taking a rookie rb in the 2nd round - - the great MICHAEL BENNETT :doublethumbsup:

I was burned a long time ago taking a rookie rb in the 2nd round - - the great MICHAEL BENNETT :shocking:

Bennett had a couple decent early years, but he wasnt a up the gut short yardage type back like Mathews can be. I also dont think the Vikings offense at that time matched the Chargers currently

Bennett had a couple decent early years, but he wasnt a up the gut short yardage type back like Mathews can be. I also dont think the Vikings offense at that time matched the Chargers currently

No doubt - I also believe the rookies get more playing time now. There are a lot of rbbc's where the rook's are a huge part of the equation.

I've only watched a couple minutes of highlights on youtube. Never really kept up with the guy making my decision harder on him. I actually have to read and learn from the good posts from this site, and come up with a final opinion.

this is one of my favorite discussion in all of fantasy football.

the fact that Aaron Rodgers led the league with 498.8 points does not matter unless your league allows you to start a QB in the flex spot. If not, what you really want to be looking at when deciding on when to draft a QB is the disparity between Rodgers and the next best QB since each team can only start 1.

If there is a huge dropoff in points between a RB you can select in round 2 and one you think will be there in round 3 but only a small dropoff between Rodgers and a QB you can get in round 3, you are best off taking the RB in round 2. If the bigger dropoff exists among the QB's, then you take Rodgers.

im not saying dont draft Aaron Rodgers, Im saying don't do it just because he led the league in scoring.

You like talking about VBD.... VBD has its flaws as well...