Sign in to follow this  
eaglesfreak

If theres 10 teams in a league how many teams should make playoffs?

I have a 10 team league and the top 2 teams play for the title on week 17

I have a 10 team league and the top 2 teams play for the title on week 17

12 of 32 teams make the NFL playoffs. That's 37.5%. If 4 of 10 teams make it in a fantasy league, that's 40%.

6 of 16 teams in each conference make the NFL playoffs. 37.5% again. If 2 of 5 make it from a fantasy division, that's 40% again.

This is called fantasy, but there are times when it should resemble the real thing. This isn't the NBA or NHL. Not everyone should get a ticket to the dance.

I am commissioner of a ten team league---13 week regular season---top 3 teams are seeded and have automatic berths...week 14 features a play-in game between the #4 and #5 teams...winner moves on to play the #1 seed in week 15, with #2 playing #3...seemed to be a good compromise between too few (4) and too many (6) playoff teams...

I am commissioner of a ten team league---13 week regular season---top 3 teams are seeded and have automatic berths...week 14 features a play-in game between the #4 and #5 teams...winner moves on to play the #1 seed in week 15, with #2 playing #3...seemed to be a good compromise between too few (4) and too many (6) playoff teams...

The correct answer is the number of teams that majority of the league agrees upon. Put it to a vote. Anything else is just meaningless opinion.

The correct answer is the number of teams that majority of the league agrees upon. Put it to a vote. Anything else is just meaningless opinion.

The play-off format is usually incorporated in your bylaws, which should already have been passed or amended by vote. If you do not have well spelled-out bylaws, do so RIGHT NOW. This has to be a new start-up league, right?

The commissioner generally gets the job of drafting the by-laws and puts then out on the site for comment and amendment before a final vote. Generally what you draft regarding play-off format will fly; I think that most commissioners and owners will agree (and a minority would disagree) that owners who don't even finish in the top half of the league should not be eligible for the play-offs, so if I was drafting, I would write it using fantasymind's suggestion which I really like, or that only the top 4 would make the play-offs.

No more than 4, but I'd prefer only the top 2 as well.

Who cares what % of teams make the playoffs in NFL. :blink: I like to give more people the opportunity to make money. In my 12 team league 8 make the playoffs. Its more like hockey than football but i like it that way.

Only the top 2 really would suck. You would have to have a fee for losing thats for dam sure or people would lose interest and not play. So if you have an injury in week 3 or 4 and lose a few games your season is over. I dont see much fun in that.

So in a 10 team league i would do 6 teams make the playoffs. 2 divisions and each division winner gets a bye. :first:

But i agree with the others i would have put it to a vote.

Four teams seems appropriate for this sized league. Weeks 15 and 16 or 16 and 17 should be the playoffs and the format is a semifinal and final (1v4,2v3).

I disagree with having the top two teams making it only unless you have two divisions and can manage the schedule appropriately

As commissioner I cant decide which way to go..Whats everyone else's playoff rules set up to with 10 teams?

My 10 team league has 6 teams make playoffs. Top two seeds get 1st rd byes (week 14). Then #1 seed plays worst seed left in 2nd rd and #2 seed plays other team in week 15. Championship is week 16, if the unimaginable happens and there is a tie, it continues to week 17.

All ten baby! Make it fun... This is fantasy football not football, why are people trying to compare % of nfl playoff teams to % of fantasy playoff teams in a certain league. Do a round robin, or perhaps a lazy susan... make it worth your time.

Just do a play-all toilet bowl for a few scraps and that should satisfy the losers.

While all my leagues are 12 man, we do something similar in the one I run.

Playoffs week 15 - 16

Top 4 adavance

Next 4 play for 5% of the pot

Loser of the remaining 4 has their team renamed by league vote at following years draft

It does a good job of keeping everyone interested and involved

What I do and has worked pretty well, is the top 2 teams of record in each division make the playoffs and there is a wild card winner in each division that is highest overall points of the remaining 3 teams - so total 6 out of 10 make the playoffs.

I dont think the 2nd best record should miss the playoffs nor a team that had a great overall season but got caught with bad matchups.

As commissioner I cant decide which way to go..Whats everyone else's playoff rules set up to with 10 teams?

I really struggled with this when my dynasty league dropped back to 10 teams last year. I went with 6 which I don't like, but you have to have a nice payout for the divisional winners to reward the regular season play. Also, having a bye in the first round for the divisional winners really helps. The real answer is to go to 12 teams, and have 6 go.

What I do and has worked pretty well, is the top 2 teams of record in each division make the playoffs and there is a wild card winner in each division that is highest overall points of the remaining 3 teams - so total 6 out of 10 make the playoffs.

I dont think the 2nd best record should miss the playoffs nor a team that had a great overall season but got caught with bad matchups.

We do this as well.

What I do and has worked pretty well, is the top 2 teams of record in each division make the playoffs and there is a wild card winner in each division that is highest overall points of the remaining 3 teams - so total 6 out of 10 make the playoffs.I dont think the 2nd best record should miss the playoffs nor a team that had a great overall season but got caught with bad matchups.

I like this idea and thought of bring it up for vote before the season. You say you take 2 wild cards one from each division with highest point total. But what happens if the team that has the highest pt total for the wild card tied with another team that is not one of the top 2 teams and the team with the lower pt total won the head to head season series vs the wild card guy with higher pt scorer???

How can you justify giving the wild card to that team???? What happens if that team only out scored him by 5 pts or some low #???? That does not seem very fair at all :dunno: Id be one pissed of SOB if that happened to me