Sign in to follow this  
thesitedoc

Expectations for Big Ben upon is return

During the summer it was noted that the Steelers initially wanted to get back to a run oriented offense. Then it was clarified that instead of wanting to run more they just wanted to run better when they did run.

So what do those who waited patiently for Ben to return expect as a reward for your patience. He was 3rd rated QB last year. DO you think he will do the same this year.

Its hard to gauge who gets more of a boost with Ben's return Mendenhall or Ward. I think both of those two should be rejoicing upon his return as having a legit passing game opens defenses for the run and having a QB improvement means Ward goes from the Cellar to the top floor as a WR. I expect Ward to put up WR1 #s in PPR and WR2 numbers in standard and Wallace to be a weekly threat for a 50+ yard TD.

I think Ben still manages to pass for 3200/20 even with the shortened schedule.

Wallace and Ward have been terribly inconsistant with the backup QBs in there. Blow up one week...tank it with a 1-4 FF point production. Ward went 16-1-12-3 in one league of mine while Wallace was equally all over the place going 8-4-25-4. With Ben in there they will get a much more steady stream of catchable passes. Course Ben will throw a few more TDs than the Batch-Dixon-Lefty collection is capable of. Ben also knows how to find H. Miller who has all but disappeared in the first 1/4 of the season. They will continue to blast Mendy at teams, but they can't help but be better though the air. Own Ward in a league and Wallace and Ward in another.

I have him as a backup to Schaub and I am a Steeler fan. I'm not optimistic with his fantasy value. I have Troy P to thank for that. He had a great year last year because Troy was hurt and the defense suffered when he wasn't there. Couldn't stop anybody so Roth had to throw 40 times a game to keep up. This year Troy is healthy and the defense is thriving. Manage the game through the ground and keep the defense off the field. He'll have his moments, but don't expect too many 375 4 td games this year. 185 2 tds and a pick or two is more like it.

What's the name of the tall WR they drafted in Pitt last year? Supposed to be an endzone target but haven't heard is name since last year I don't think?

You're probably thinking of Limas Sweed, but that was two years ago. He's out for the season with a blowed up achillies injury.

I have him as a backup to Schaub and I am a Steeler fan. I'm not optimistic with his fantasy value. I have Troy P to thank for that. He had a great year last year because Troy was hurt and the defense suffered when he wasn't there. Couldn't stop anybody so Roth had to throw 40 times a game to keep up. This year Troy is healthy and the defense is thriving. Manage the game through the ground and keep the defense off the field. He'll have his moments, but don't expect too many 375 4 td games this year. 185 2 tds and a pick or two is more like it.

Same here and nothing further to add. Exceptional DEF = Limited QB production (generally speaking)

Good post :thumbsup:

Just get me more than 12 points and I'll be estatic. I've made the wrong choice at QB all year switching between Kolb, Campbell, Hasselbeck, and now Hill this week.

That is good insight - I never connected the dots between the injury of Troy and Roth's production. I hope you are wrong because I drafted Ben in the 11th round and assumed he was a steal. I have Flacco and an injured Vick so I have been anxiously awaiting his return.

That is good insight - I never connected the dots between the injury of Troy and Roth's production. I hope you are wrong because I drafted Ben in the 11th round and assumed he was a steal. I have Flacco and an injured Vick so I have been anxiously awaiting his return.

Feeling the same way.. not expecting last years great numbers but a solid matchup QB.. still a steal in 11th round given his exp.

This actually has me a bit worried. I wasn't expecting HUGE numbers, but I held onto him for a reason, and with Flacco and Orton on the roster as well, I'm not sure what his real value is to me. I wonder if the Eli/Cutler owner would want him? Hmm... At the same time, I'm happy to have him there if the injury bug bites. It'd rather be relying on him than than picking up Freeman/Henne/Bradford at the end of the season when I really need a QB.

Do the collective "WE" think he's a top-10 QB from here on out? Or are those numbers just top-end QB2 worthy?

2 rapes and partridge in a pear tree!

Well played sir! I was thinking of a reply along those same lines but you have beaten me to it. I think your predictions are a :lock: