Sign in to follow this  
Cleaver08

Tolbert vs Mathews

Are you FOCKING kidding me :wall: I havent been able to check the box score and i look and Tolbert's pathetic ass has 10 carries for 14 but got a dam TD :mad: While Mathews has 5 carries for 22 yards :mad:

12 carries for 11 yards. Fack me if they go with tolberts "hot hand" next week.

I'm off the Mathews bandwagon. Screw this Chargers run game. I haven't been this frustrated with a team's running attack since the Priest Holmes/Larry Johnson mess in KC several years back.

Im tired of trying to figure out who to start the last 2 weeks. Next week it's Lynch for the forseeable future.

Norv Turner is a decent OC, but he is a terrible HC. He can't manage a game, he can't see the big picture, he can't remain composed, he gets completely frazzled and he doesnt know what to do next. The team reflects that. Thus, they lose to the Raiders. Wonder how long good ole AJ will stick with "his" man. Somewhere Marty is laughing his tookus off!

Ryan Mathews expected to retake job 'soon'

Mathews

Ryan Mathews is expected to retake his starting job "soon," perhaps as early as Week 6 against the Rams.

The Chargers want to see Mathews (ankle) make it through a full practice week healthy. He was limited on Friday entering Week 5. "He obviously gives us a burst," said coach Norv Turner after Mathews significantly outproduced Mike Tolbert in a per-carry basis Sunday. "... Ryan will be our lead guy. That’s why he’s here. I look forward to him being our lead guy." Oct. 11 - 12:19 am et

Source: San Diego Union-Tribune

Well when the "starter" Tolbert has -58 yards on 18 carries he better dam well not start anymore. :shocking:

SD rushing is killing me. I'm going to try and trade them both.

SD rushing is killing me. I'm going to try and trade them both.

Don't - too early. Trade Tolbert. Mathews will come on.

Don't - too early. Trade Tolbert. Mathews will come on.

Those of us who drafted Mathews probably have sub-.500 records and can't wait much longer. What looked like one of the few non-RBBCs during fantasy draft season has quickly turned into a murky mess of RB mediocrity.

Heh, I just traded FOR Mathews. Here's hoping things sort themselves out sooner rather than later as he gets healthy.

Those of us who drafted Mathews probably have sub-.500 records and can't wait much longer. What looked like one of the few non-RBBCs during fantasy draft season has quickly turned into a murky mess of RB mediocrity.

speak for yourself, I drafted Mathews and am 8-2 in my 14 teamer with doubleheaders.

Well, I'm 3-2, and within 10 points of the top scoring team in the league. That's ancillary, though. The real point is that I suggested you hold him because I believe you'll do better with him than without him. Tolbert laying an egg yesterday just helped Mathew's cause immeasurably.

You'll see.

speak for yourself, I drafted Mathews and am 8-2 in my 14 teamer with doubleheaders.

Im not 8-2 but i am 5-3 heading into tonight with both games in question so will either be 7-3, 6-4 or 5-5 <_< Just need every pass from Favre to go to Moss :unsure: or Minnesota to get stopped every series and Longwell kick all FGs

2 games a week is one of the greatest fantasy football options ever :doublethumbsup:

Im not 8-2 but i am 5-3 heading into tonight with both games in question so will either be 7-3, 6-4 or 5-5 <_< Just need every pass from Favre to go to Moss :unsure: or Minnesota to get stopped every series and Longwell kick all FGs

2 games a week is one of the greatest fantasy football options ever :doublethumbsup:

yes it is....yes it is...I find it also cuts luck in half on matchups, seems like every year there is a team in the bottom half in total points in the top 4 teams record wise and vice-versa. Since we went to doubleheaders, it seems like the best teams will rise to the top more often.

I suppose signing a pro bowl caliber left tackle could go a long way to help out the running game as well. Just saying.

Drafted Mathews, picked up Tolbert as a handcuff. Traded Tolbert for Brandon Lloyd last week while everyone was going nuts over Tolbert, and feel like a genius doing it.

Tolbert is expected to return to a backup role in the very near future as it appears that Ryan Mathews is fully recovered from his ankle injury, and the rookie is making strides in the other aspects of the game as well, the San Diego Union-Tribune reports.

As I've always thought, Norv Turner wants Mathews to be the future of that franchise, he's said it multiple times. That being said, he wasn't going to run him into the ground after getting hurt, so SD was lucky to have a great backup in Tolbert. I don't know why Mathews owners panicked so much seeing Tolbert get the majority of the carries the last couple of weeks, but that was the obvious decision to keep Mathews healthy and fresh, and NOT re-injure his ankle. Any research showed that this was going to be the likely situation until Mathews was 100%. Like every year, SD blows up in November / December, and having a fresh Mathews going into Fantasy playoffs is a great thing. After Sunday's performance, its apparent where the talent is between Mathews and Tolbert, and that game only shows Turner to put his trust back into Mathews going forward.

Take this as you will, it's just my opinion.

Im starting Mathews this week over Hillis with complete confindence :unsure:

Im starting Mathews this week over Hillis with complete confindence :unsure:

Hey, wait a second. Are you saying you like Mathews( going against a mediocre at best St Louis defense) better than a banged up Hillis(going against a great Pitt defense & the Browns putrid passing attack will be even worse with green ears McCoy under center)? Did you come up with that all by yourself? :thumbsup:

...he wasn't going to run him into the ground after getting hurt, so SD was lucky to have a great backup in Tolbert...that was the obvious decision to keep Mathews healthy and fresh, and NOT re-injure his ankle.

If Mathews is hurt, don't play him at all. Real simple.

Playing RB, Mathews could just as easily aggravate the injury on 5 carries than he can on 20 carries. So this notion of slowly bringing him back into the fold in an effort to "nurse" his injury is absurd.

If Mathews is hurt, don't play him at all. Real simple.

Playing RB, Mathews could just as easily aggravate the injury on 5 carries than he can on 20 carries. So this notion of slowly bringing him back into the fold in an effort to "nurse" his injury is absurd.

Thank you... I've been saying that on other boards, and keep getting thrashed for it. No one has yet come up w/ a good response when I ask why, if Mathews is so valued, he was on the field & getting carries when Billy freaking Volek was on the field @ QB in a blow-out...

I believe it may have something to do with building Mathews confidence. I read things about him getting flustered when he makes mistakes. I think his ankle was a factor, of course, but not the only issue.

wrong. you can protect a guy in practice, but there are no "no contact" jerseys in a game. if he doesn't have a chronic injury (think turf toe), then getting him a limited number of snaps in a game is a good way of keeping him accustomed to game speed (and involved in the scheme) without continuously banging him up.

keeping him in a ballcap when he could be making a contribution and improving himself would actually be counterproductive.

wrong. you can protect a guy in practice, but there are no "no contact" jerseys in a game. if he doesn't have a chronic injury (think turf toe), then getting him a limited number of snaps in a game is a good way of keeping him accustomed to game speed (and involved in the scheme) without continuously banging him up.

keeping him in a ballcap when he could be making a contribution and improving himself would actually be counterproductive.

That's not the point. The point was the coach said Mathews isn't starting/playing because his ankle is hurt. If that were really the case, then why play him in garbage time? And just in case you didnt know, a high ankle sprain is a lingering injury!

Clearly, there is more to his limited role then the ankle. And what's worse is he is clearly the better back too, by a large margin. If he doesnt start and get 20-25 touches this game, then it's not gonna happen, IMO.

That's not the point. The point was the coach said Mathews isn't starting/playing because his ankle is hurt. If that were really the case, then why play him in garbage time? And just in case you didnt know, a high ankle sprain is a lingering injury!

Clearly, there is more to his limited role then the ankle. And what's worse is he is clearly the better back too, by a large margin. If he doesnt start and get 20-25 touches this game, then it's not gonna happen, IMO.

I haven't seen where the coach said "Mathews isn't starting/playing because his ankle is hurt". What I've heard is that they planned to take it easy on him, playing him in a limited fashion, as to be expected. In fact, if it was really a serious high ankle sprain, Mathews would not have looked as explosive as he did the last two weeks with limited touches, so soon after the injury. The injury is obviously not as serious as every hyped it up to be, and coaches are doing the right thing for their star back, limiting him, but getting him involved, which is exactly what a rookie needs to be effective down the stretch. Especially for a team like the Chargers who are notoriously productive down the stretch.

The Chargers want to win a Superbowl, not help our fantasy teams, so you have to read between the lines sometimes and adjust your fantasy lineup accordingly.

This whole Mike Tolbert thing in San Diego has been cute. Although cute might not be the adjective used by fantasy owners to describe the Chargers' backfield committee. Excruciatingly frustrating might be more appropriate. But are the winds of change coming? Norv Turner told reporters on Monday that he would like to get the ball to Ryan Mathews more, intimating that the running back's ankle injury could have been the reason he had a smaller workload in recent weeks. "He's a little bit sore but not to the point where I think he gets on an injury report or anything," Turner said. "I think he made it through the soreness he had Friday and I think he's ready to go. I hope he's ready to go and carry the load or carry more of the load. When he gets an opportunity, he plays awfully well."

Seems like Turner feels us on the Mathews front. The Chargers coach must be as frustrated as we are watching Tolbert fumble away opportunities inside of the 10-yard line, like he did again on Sunday.

"I thought (Tolbert) learned his lesson in Seattle," Turner said, referring to a Tolbert's fumble against the Seahawks in Week 3. "He turned the ball over on the 6-yard line going in (against Seattle). The play … it should never be a fumble. He understands that and he'll understand it better now."

Not sure if that means Mathews will get more attempts when he's fully healthy. But you should certainly take a look to see if any Mathews owners are desperate to move the rookie, especially when you consider how well the Chargers play after annually starting each season 2-3 under Turner. You might be able to get a bargain.

Adam Rank

NFL.com

I haven't seen where the coach said "Mathews isn't starting/playing because his ankle is hurt".

This was two weeks ago...

"Turner cited Mathews' previous high ankle sprain and an elbow injury in Thursday's practice as the primary reasons he didn't start over Tolbert against the Cardinals."

So, the coach says he not gonna start because of his injuries, yet he is in during garbage time, when you should be resting your injured players. :dunno:

This was two weeks ago...

"Turner cited Mathews' previous high ankle sprain and an elbow injury in Thursday's practice as the primary reasons he didn't start over Tolbert against the Cardinals."

So, the coach says he not gonna start because of his injuries, yet he is in during garbage time, when you should be resting your injured players. :dunno:

I stand corrected, I actually do remember this quote. But I also remember his status as iffy going into the Cardinals game anyway.