Sign in to follow this  
PATSSOX

Malcom Floyd status?

Chargers could be without Mathews, Gates, Floyd and Naanee

By Matt De Lima, Saturday, November 20, 2010 10:10:18 AM CST

According to the San Diego Union-Tribune, the San Diego Chargers could be without running back Ryan Mathews, tight end Antonio Gates and wide receivers Malcom Floyd and Legedu Naanee for their game against the Denver Broncos. Mike Tolbert will likely play for Mathews who is out with a right ankle sprain. Mathews hasn't practiced all week. When asked about Mathews, head coach Norv Turner said, "I doubt a guy can improve enough in two days to be healthy enough to play on a Monday night. If he improves dramatically, I would consider playing him." Gates hasn't practiced all week because of a plantar fascia (foot) injury. Floyd has missed the last three games practiced fully on Thursday but was limited on Friday. Naanee practiced on a limited basis but is still unlikely to play.

Fantasy Analysis:

With a loss this week to the Denver Broncos, the Chargers would put themselves in a very bad position to make the playoffs. The AFC West is still wide open with Kansas City and Oakland sitting at 5-4, San Diego is 4-5 and Denver is 3-6. These divisional games are important to gaining ground in the race for the divisional championship. With all these injuries, San Diego's offense, while still doing relatively well, it's still not going to be able to play to its full potential. Mathews is the least likely guy of this foursome to not play. Naanee, Floyd and Gates have all suffered setbacks with their injuries this week so all four might not play this week on Monday Night Football. It's probably best to passover all these guys as none of them have an optimistic outlook as of today.

Source:

NFL.com

Unless i hear really really really good news on Floyd between now and 12:45 tomorrow he is sitting on my bench :(

Well hell i should have looked at CBS before posting that last one :wall:

Latest News

Chargers WR Malcom Floyd (hamstring) was able to take part in a full practice for San Diego on Saturday in preparation for the Week 11 Monday night game against Denver. Floyd, who had been limited in recent days, is officially listed as probable for the game, report the Denver Post.

(Updated 11/20/2010).

Analysis

Floyd has been excited all week about returning to the lineup Week 11 and the official injury report for the game dictates he'll be ready come Monday. He'll be facing a Denver team that has not fared too well against the pass this season. The Broncos enter Monday's matchup ranked 19th in the NFL in passing defense and have allowed an average of 20.9 Fantasy points to opposing wideouts. If he is active, consider Floyd a No. 3 Fantasy WR or flex option.

Well hell i should have looked at CBS before posting that last one :wall:

I'm not saying that Floyd will or won't play, or will or won't be limited on Monday.

However, in the NFL, friday practices are almost always walk-throughs. They are pad-less, no-contact, and very rarely at full-speed. Since the Chargers are playing on MNF, it would stand to reason that today's practice was of that nature.

I guy with a sore hammy would't have nearly as much trouble participating in a 3/4 effort, "walk-through" as he would in a full-out practice, or game.

Just my 2 cents.

So he had 4 practices this week. They went as follows.

Wednesday: Full participation

Thursday: Full participation

Friday: Limited participation (sore hammy)

Saturday: Full participation

And he is now listed as probable. This after being given 5 weeks off for his hammy. I think things are looking pretty good for him monday night, imho.

That being said, I still picked up tutu in the event he is a pre-game scratch. I just hope he doesn't pull a Torain, where he is "active" but doesn't play, and there is no source that gives this information with enough time to still change lineups for the game.

And he is now listed as probable. This after being given 5 weeks off for his hammy. I think things are looking pretty good for him monday night, imho.

That being said, I still picked up tutu in the event he is a pre-game scratch. I just hope he doesn't pull a Torain, where he is "active" but doesn't play, and there is no source that gives this information with enough time to still change lineups for the game.

I already did that in one smaller league and am probably going to do it in my larger more important league :unsure: I could play Crabtree but i really want him on Monday night <_<

My 2 opponents in that league this week most players done by 4 so if i have big lead ill gamble with Floyd or if im behind may gamble Floyd will go off :unsure:

I already did that in one smaller league and am probably going to do it in my larger more important league :unsure: I could play Crabtree but i really want him on Monday night <_<

In the same boat. Once I heard he practiced fully today I am starting him.

Ive got to chance it with Floyd now :wall: Since focking Kitna refuses to throw the focking ball to him. Had Crabtree in but i need big game probably and not much chance for Crabtree to have big day :doh:

no news is good news...last i heard he practiced in full on saturday.

Im playing him in one league and i need a miracle in one matchup so another 200+ yard 2 TD game would be nice :unsure: Ive already won the other matchup but i need both :wall:

Anyone have an update on Floyd???

I hope he plays. Champ Bailey will cover him and leave Crayton and Tutu to catch bunches of passes.

I hope he plays. Champ Bailey will cover him and leave Crayton and Tutu to catch bunches of passes.

If it was 4 or 5 years ago id be worried about Bailey but not in 2010 :thumbsdown:

Hey all Thanks for the updates.... I have Floyd in the lineup now and have Gaffney on my bench. Not sure which way to go, any suggestions? I mean regarding who to start.

Hey all Thanks for the updates.... I have Floyd in the lineup now and have Gaffney on my bench. Not sure which way to go, any suggestions? I mean regarding who to start.

Depends on how much you need? In one league im down 12 in a PPR and can go with Tolbert or Floyd :unsure: Ive been going back and forth between the 2. In another im down by about 40 so im going with Floyd cause he is capable of a HUGE game but its highly unlikely.

If you need only 6 or 7 pts id go with Gaffney but if you need a big night id go with Floyd. I may be way wrong especially if Floyd tweeks his hammy but its Monday night and Vjax coming back next week he is going to want to mark his territory. :unsure: I hope

Thanks PATSSOX, I'm ahead and he has no one playing so I'm sticking with Floyd.

:wacko:

Thats not fair. I let the guy im playing pick who to play :shocking: If i win i clinch our head to head season series for $75. We play in 4 differ leagues together and im up 4-0 and we have 3 games this week. :banana:

First off, I'd go with Tolbert over Floyd.

Second, I too am struggling with Floyd or Gaffney. Funny how that works out! I agree with the assessment that Gaffney is the "safe" 5-7 points as he has gotten 50+ every week, but one this season whereas Floyd is more of a TD threat. He's also more of a tweeked hammy in Q1 too.

I have a cushion and need to maintain that going against Orton and Prater so I'll probably play it safe of take Jaburgular's 50-some yards.

:pointstosky: TD yes and NO :wall: Guess i cant have my cake and eat it to or whatever that saying is :dunno:

If it was 4 or 5 years ago id be worried about Bailey but not in 2010 :thumbsdown:

2010 or not, he made Floyd his biyatch on that Interception. Floyd went up with weak ass hands and Champ just strong-armed it away from him. He also missed another easily catch-able ball which would have resulted in a long first down. That's why you'll see Vincent Jackson move back to his #1 WR role, among other things.

Mixed reviews - he did score a TD, but that's about it. Maybe he will benefit with VJAX returning - so he won't be the #1.

Malcom Floyd, WR SD

News: The San Diego Union-Tribune reports that Chargers WR Malcom Floyd tweaked his hamstring again in Monday night's win over the Broncos.

Analysis: We're not sure of the severity of Floyd's tweak at the moment, but the chances of him playing in a second straight game in Week 12 appear to be slim unless this was just a very minus setback. If he's healthy for that game with the Colts, Floyd would likely be a No. 3 or flex option, especially with Vincent Jackson expected back. Keep an eye on his progress once practice starts on Wednesday.

I mean dammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :wall:

It really seems like all the pieces are falling into place for VJ to be a dominate force through the fantasy stretch run.

That's why the smart Floyd owners stashed VJax on their bench for so many weeks. Unfortunately I am not one of those and opted for Sidney Rice instead. :wall:

I did manage to grab him in my league where I own Gates though. :banana:

Malcom Floyd-WR-Chargers Nov. 23 - 10:46 pm et

Coach Norv Turner expects Malcom Floyd (hamstring) to be available against the Colts in Week 12.

Floyd aggravated his right hamstring injury, so the Chargers will take it easy on him this week. Turner indicated that Floyd might not return to practice by Friday, but "I would think he would be ready" for Sunday. Vincent Jackson is going to be the superior fantasy option this week, leaving Floyd as a risky WR3 play.

Source: San Diego Union-Tribune

Looks like he is going to play. But im pretty sure im going to avoid him :wall:

That's why the smart Floyd owners stashed VJax on their bench for so many weeks. Unfortunately I am not one of those and opted for Sidney Rice instead. :wall:

I did manage to grab him in my league where I own Gates though. :banana:

Rice got 10 targets last week. You may be alright there :thumbsup: