Sign in to follow this  
typhus

Jets WR situation - pre draft

(FFChamps) Rich Cimini of ESPN New York does not think the Jets will target a receiver at pick No. 30 in the Draft even though Santonio Holmes and Braylon Edwards are uncertain to return as free agents and with Jerricho Cotchery recovering from back surgery.

So,, I admit that I have been somewhat withdrawn this off season, due to the current status with the CBA BS.... but didnt the Jets re-sign Santonio? I could have sworn they resigned SH.

Nope. The receiving corps for the Jets could see a shakeup in 2011. While Cotchery is under contract, starting wideouts Santonio Holmes and Braylon Edwards are free agents. Whether the starters and free agent backup Brad Smith are signed will heavily depend on the new CBA.

The Jets WR corps can be safely filed under the USELESS category as far as fantasy football is concerned. Too many targets and no real favorites. Its a different guy each week and the TD's get spread out way too much. Its similar to the Patriots WR situation without Moss and several other teams as well. Heck, The Colts are now uslesss at WR too since Wayne has become a secondary-clearing machine for short white WR's. Fock. :thumbsdown:

The WR pool is somehow deep and really thin at the same time these days. Lots of mediocre, 5-6 TD WRs out there. They are impossible to rely on but hard to sit too. Bleh.

The Jets WR corps can be safely filed under the USELESS category as far as fantasy football is concerned. Too many targets and no real favorites. Its a different guy each week and the TD's get spread out way too much. Its similar to the Patriots WR situation without Moss and several other teams as well. Heck, The Colts are now uslesss at WR too since Wayne has become a secondary-clearing machine for short white WR's. Fock. :thumbsdown:

The WR pool is somehow deep and really thin at the same time these days. Lots of mediocre, 5-6 TD WRs out there. They are impossible to rely on but hard to sit too. Bleh.

You mean the same Santonio Holmes that was on pace for 1000 yards and 8 TD's, had he not missed 4 games, and the Reggie Wayne that had 1350 yards?

I like Holmes as a low end wide reciever #1 next season, I think he bounces back to somewhere in the 1100+ yards and 6-8 TD range.

I also like Cotchery as an 80 catch 800 yard guy next season, which should be a high end #3 wide receiver in ppr leagues. People in leagues that start 4 wide recievers need to keep an eye on him if he does not get competition for the #2 job.

You mean the same Santonio Holmes that was on pace for 1000 yards and 8 TD's, had he not missed 4 games, and the Reggie Wayne that had 1350 yards?

I like Holmes as a low end wide reciever #1 next season, I think he bounces back to somewhere in the 1100+ yards and 6-8 TD range.

I also like Cotchery as an 80 catch 800 yard guy next season, which should be a high end #3 wide receiver in ppr leagues. People in leagues that start 4 wide recievers need to keep an eye on him if he does not get competition for the #2 job.

Yeah, yeah...but he did NOT hit those numbers so no "If my aunt had balls shed be my uncle" stuff. 8 TD's is hardly studly anyways. Wayne was drafted or kept as a Top 3 WR and got outscored badly by many no-name WRs. He was covered in endzone repellant. Once you add in PPR and all those other "welfare" points then I suppose every player is a stud. But Im still in a league that requires the player to score TDs to be a top fantasy player.

Each Jet WR next year will have 650-90 yards and 4-6 TDs. Keller will steal some TDs too. Yuk.

Yeah, yeah...but he did NOT hit those numbers so no "If my aunt had balls shed be my uncle" stuff. 8 TD's is hardly studly anyways. Wayne was drafted or kept as a Top 3 WR and got outscored badly by many no-name WRs. He was covered in endzone repellant. Once you add in PPR and all those other "welfare" points then I suppose every player is a stud. But Im still in a league that requires the player to score TDs to be a top fantasy player.

Each Jet WR next year will have 650-90 yards and 4-6 TDs. Keller will steal some TDs too. Yuk.

Prorating does work, because when Holmes was suspended he was on my bench, and I had a different wide receiver in there getting points. Holmes was drafted as my #3 wide receiver last year in rounds 9-12, and I started him as my #3 wide receiver. He helped me my teams win games in every league that I owned him in.

Most likely Edwards is going to be gone next year, and Holmes is going to be the true #1 wide receiver on the jets. You can avoid drafting him all you want, he will be a target of mine. And like I said before I predict at least 1100 yards, and 8 TD's.

I predict the Jets find a way to keep both.

Holmes was tendered a 1st and 3rd (i understand this may not ultimately matter but it shows the Jets interest level). He'll be back in green and white.

Edwards is the question mark. It likely all depends on if another team is willing to way overpay him.

I think the Jets realize these are two talented WR's who WANT to play for them. And they are crucial in the development of Sanchez. Holmes runs great routes and has clutch hands. Edwards is physical and a good blocker. They each bring things to the table.

I predict the Jets find a way to keep both.

Holmes was tendered a 1st and 3rd (i understand this may not ultimately matter but it shows the Jets interest level). He'll be back in green and white.

Edwards is the question mark. It likely all depends on if another team is willing to way overpay him.

I think the Jets realize these are two talented WR's who WANT to play for them. And they are crucial in the development of Sanchez. Holmes runs great routes and has clutch hands. Edwards is physical and a good blocker. They each bring things to the table.

I agree about Holmes' upside potential as a true number one---and also think he will end up in green and white. But, I think I like him a whole lot more if Edwards goes elsewhere, allowing Santonio to be the Jets true primary passing game focus, with a bit of Keller and Smith/Cotchery thrown in to keep defenses honest. He will certainly be a guy to target if it is clear that he is the show in NY...

I agree about Holmes' upside potential as a true number one---and also think he will end up in green and white. But, I think I like him a whole lot more if Edwards goes elsewhere, allowing Santonio to be the Jets true primary passing game focus, with a bit of Keller and Smith/Cotchery thrown in to keep defenses honest. He will certainly be a guy to target if it is clear that he is the show in NY...

I think Edwards is the best redzone and deep threat they have. I want him as a jet

Nice, RLLD. Nice. :nono: :lol:

I think that they will end up showing Santonio the money and telling Edwards to take a hike. I think that Edwards is a JAG. The man looks great in shorts running routes, but he has anvils for hands. They can find another guy to block and catch 4-6 TD's (i.e. Sims-Walker, Moss, Floyd etc..) at a much more reasonable cost. Honestly, unless he is willing to accept an incentive-laden contract, I don't see any way that this guys is back with the J-E-T-S, Jets, Jets, Jets! Holmes is the Real-Deal and the Jets will make sure that he doesn't go anywhere. They can't afford to lose Sanchez's only legitimate threat. If you think that Sanches in uneven now, wait until he doesn't have a top-shelf WR to throw to. He'll turn into Tim Couch so fast that the Fat Man's head will spin.

ICEMAN

Nice, RLLD. Nice. :nono: :lol:

I think that they will end up showing Santonio the money and telling Edwards to take a hike. I think that Edwards is a JAG. The man looks great in shorts running routes, but he has anvils for hands. They can find another guy to block and catch 4-6 TD's (i.e. Sims-Walker, Moss, Floyd etc..) at a much more reasonable cost. Honestly, unless he is willing to accept an incentive-laden contract, I don't see any way that this guys is back with the J-E-T-S, Jets, Jets, Jets! Holmes is the Real-Deal and the Jets will make sure that he doesn't go anywhere. They can't afford to lose Sanchez's only legitimate threat. If you think that Sanches in uneven now, wait until he doesn't have a top-shelf WR to throw to. He'll turn into Tim Couch so fast that the Fat Man's head will spin.

ICEMAN

:wacko:

You're applying a label to a player based on his career in Cleveland while completely ignoring what he has done as a Jet. In 2010, Edwards had 1 dropped pass.... Holmes? 5 (in 4 less games). In 2009 combined between Cleveland and NY, Edwards dropped 6 balls, far from the league leaders.

Moss is going to come in and block? At a cheaper per-year price tag?

As far as Sanchez not having a "top-shelf" WR, he did not have Mr. Holmes in 2009 and the Jets still made the AFC championship game.

Look, id rather keep Holmes too because i do think he is more clutch and he runs great routes, but I love the aspects Edwards brings and I think the Jets would be wise to keep both is at all possible.

:popcorn:

:wacko:

You're applying a label to a player based on his career in Cleveland while completely ignoring what he has done as a Jet. In 2010, Edwards had 1 dropped pass.... Holmes? 5 (in 4 less games). In 2009 combined between Cleveland and NY, Edwards dropped 6 balls, far from the league leaders.

Moss is going to come in and block? At a cheaper per-year price tag?

As far as Sanchez not having a "top-shelf" WR, he did not have Mr. Holmes in 2009 and the Jets still made the AFC championship game.

Look, id rather keep Holmes too because i do think he is more clutch and he runs great routes, but I love the aspects Edwards brings and I think the Jets would be wise to keep both is at all possible.

WW, I was just saying that I thought Moss was one of the available WR's that would (should) be asking for far less $$$ than Edwards will command and that he would produce approximately the same sort of yardage/TD's in the Jet's system. Obviously, there is a better chance that Moss is going to come back to the huddle and say "Hey guys, I am just getting the ball too much. Let's get some of the other WR's involved." than give you a quality block, but he should be asking for way less money than Edwards will end up getting. I just think that Edwards is an average WR. Nothing special.

ICEMAN

WW, I was just saying that I thought Moss was one of the available WR's that would (should) be asking for far less $$$ than Edwards will command and that he would produce approximately the same sort of yardage/TD's in the Jet's system. Obviously, there is a better chance that Moss is going to come back to the huddle and say "Hey guys, I am just getting the ball too much. Let's get some of the other WR's involved." than give you a quality block, but he should be asking for way less money than Edwards will end up getting. I just think that Edwards is an average WR. Nothing special.

ICEMAN

ok well you listed him as a guy who could block and catch 4-6 TD's. Im not sure Moss offers much more than a guy who can streak down the field on the plays he feels like it. I pray the Jets don't seriously go after him.

As for Edwards, if he costs too much to keep, then you move on but I happen to really like what he brings to the table. Maybe because having seen him play every game the last year and a half, I know his hands have been much better and I know he actually wants to be a Jet. I feel like he is the perfect compliment to Holmes and few guys in the game possess Edwards blend of size, speed and leaping ability.

this may elicit some laughter but i see Edwards physical tools as being up there in the group with AJ, CJ, Marshall, Fitz... big, strong, fast, athletic freaks.