Sign in to follow this  
fugoondo

Heap, McGahee, and Derrick Mason

I wonder if Mason will be re-signed. I know the Ravens drafted Torrey Smith but it's not like they're stacked at the position. :dunno:

The almighty Housh and Boldin!

Ed Dickson TE1 in Bal? Championshippppppppppppp

How about the effect to Flacco? Just took 2 of his most comfortable targets away.

Report: Heap, Mason, McGahee to be cut loose by Ravens

NFL.com

Published: July 25, 2011 at 08:56 p.m.

Updated: July 25, 2011 at 09:32 p.m.

Liked: 4 | Comments: 48

The Baltimore Ravens wasted no time executing a plan to gain salary cap relief for free agency, informing tight end Todd Heap and wide receiver Derrick Mason that they will be released Thursday, The Baltimore Sun reported on Monday, citing league sources.

Heap and Mason have been stalwarts of Baltimore's offense, combining for 10,467 receiving yards and 70 touchdowns with the Ravens. Both players are still productive, but are vulnerable due to high salary figures. Jettisoning the veterans creates $9.1 million in cap room.

Free agency tracker

Will Brett Favre come out of retirement for the third time? Is Ahmad Bradshaw bound for Miami? Find out where players might end up in NFL.com's free agency tracker. More...

Mason -- who rose to prominence with the Titans before signing with the Ravens in 2005 -- is Baltimore's all-team leader in catches (471) and receiving yards (5,777). Heap, the club's first-round pick following their Super Bowl victory in 2001, owns all-time club marks in touchdown receptions (41), and is second behind Mason in catches (467) and yards (5,492).

"It's part of the business," center Matt Birk told The Sun. "You're surprised, but you're not. It happens every year to guys. It's part of our game that is unfortunate for a lot of reasons. But the salary cap is a big reason why our game is so competitive and popular. Hopefully, the Ravens can find a way to re-sign them, but all of those guys will land on their feet somewhere."

It remains possible the Ravens could bring back one or both players at a lesser price during the free agency period that begins Friday. Heap was due $4.6 million, while Mason was in line for $4.5 million.

The Sun has also learned via sources the Ravens will release tackle Kelly Gregg ($3.5 million) and running back Willis McGahee ($6 million). In total, the Ravens will clear $18.6 million off their cap.

"Oh my God, I'm shocked," linebacker Jarret Johnson said. "Kelly and Heap are some of my best friends on the team. Derrick and Willis have been such big contributors. No one is immune to it. That's all I can say."

The biggest thing I see that this does.. is make Ray Rice's value immediately go up... with the "other" go to guys in the offense leaving.. it seems to me Flacco will be checking down a lot more to his star RB... the other thing this does.. which is still not certain is make his chances to get the goal line touches go up... we'll have to pay closer attention to this one.. but we all know how much the Ravens love to run the ball... Rice could have a career year this year

steps back as the crowd throws tomatoes

I I would imagine that the Ravens would like to resign them, but if they can't, it does significantly change the Ravens offense.

:doh:

Bet the Bengals kick the tires on McGahee with Benson's recent issues.

First reports I'm hearing is he'll be in Denver.

bam, ravens immediately cut a trio of big names/yearly fantasy contributors. this is going to be an awesome couple weeks.

they should do this lockout/last minute thing every year!!

Obviously adds some value to Ray Rice although he only had 5 TD's last year. Hopefully some of those carries go towards Rice since I'm drafting 6th and he's very much in play for me.

They needed to immediately make cuts to secure cap space.

They released them to also allow them the chance to sign on with another team and get their max value; this doe snot preclude the Raven's resigning them, that is also very likely, once the market sets their value.

Mason could very well retire, and really wanted to last year too.

Heap is good for a game or two, but disappears too easily, or gets hurt.

Gregg is likely done, with the rooks they have recently drafted expected to step in.

Does this hurt or help Ray Rice? He will be THE option which means defenses can key on him, but he may get more touches. With his increased touches, he may get hurt.

stay away

Does this hurt or help Ray Rice? He will be THE option which means defenses can key on him, but he may get more touches. With his increased touches, he may get hurt.

stay away

This helps Rice considerably. He will emerge with more touches as a result, and his PPR value just shot up dramatically.

But.....keep and eye on whether or not they are able to keep Yanda, if not, it will be more difficult for Rice to avoid being a blocker on passing downs.

This helps Rice considerably. He will emerge with more touches as a result, and his PPR value just shot up dramatically.

But.....keep and eye on whether or not they are able to keep Yanda, if not, it will be more difficult for Rice to avoid being a blocker on passing downs.

how good of an offense will they be without heap/mason though? bad offenses dont produce good running backs. I guess we will have to wait and see who the replacements are.

how good of an offense will they be without heap/mason though? bad offenses dont produce good running backs. I guess we will have to wait and see who the replacements are.

Heap was a factor in some games, and a non-factor most of the time. Mason will be missed, but it mainly means more opportunity for Boldin, and others.

Mason was reliable, but limited, mainly due to Flacco himself.

Keep en eye on Ronnie Brown, if they pick him up as a FA, I think he will ensure Rice's productivity......

Heap was a factor in some games, and a non-factor most of the time. Mason will be missed, but it mainly means more opportunity for Boldin, and others.

Mason was reliable, but limited, mainly due to Flacco himself.

Keep en eye on Ronnie Brown, if they pick him up as a FA, I think he will ensure Rice's productivity......

I guess my point is that there is uncertainty in the ravens offense, and from an FF perspective, do you want to spend a high 1st round pick on an uncertain situation?

WHY HEAP AND MASON?

If your gonna cut one keep the other. TE is always a favourite of the QB and mason became Joe's favourite over Boldin by the end of season. Hes gonna retire son anyways you jerks let it happen in Balt.

I guess my point is that there is uncertainty in the ravens offense, and from an FF perspective, do you want to spend a high 1st round pick on an uncertain situation?

How about we wait until all the FA's have signed before we get carried away with uncertainties. Things are going to change dramatically in the next few days

WHY HEAP AND MASON?

If your gonna cut one keep the other. TE is always a favourite of the QB and mason became Joe's favourite over Boldin by the end of season. Hes gonna retire son anyways you jerks let it happen in Balt.

Probably going to re-sign them...but if they can't you have the rook WR, other FA options at WR and you have 2 young pass catching TE's on your roster right now. Ed Dickson and Pita both can produce at TE. Raven's seem to be making smart moves....

Heap was always hurt. They'll be fine without him.

Mason on the other hand...that guy was a gamer.