Sign in to follow this  
steelers2101

Ingram will be "heavily involved" in Saints O

"According to the New Orleans Times-Picayune, No. 28 overall pick Mark Ingram is "coming on fast" at Saints camp and is expected to be "heavily involved" in the team's regular offense to open the season.

We'd guessed he would be, but it's notable that Ingram is already working with the first-team offense and getting a large chunk of top tailback reps. The clear-cut No. 1 fantasy rookie in this year's class, Ingram will offer double-digit touchdown potential as New Orleans' likely goal-line back. He also excels in the passing game and could make a serious run at 260-270 touches."

What other RBs do you take him over with this news?

In a redraft? Over Moreno? Mathews? Deangelo? Blount? Hillis? S Jax? Bradshaw? Forte? Greene?

What about in a dynasty/keeper? Over Blount? Bradshaw? Forte? Greene? MJD? Gore? Perhaps it is better to discuss what RBs you would take ahead of him.

"According to the New Orleans Times-Picayune, No. 28 overall pick Mark Ingram is "coming on fast" at Saints camp and is expected to be "heavily involved" in the team's regular offense to open the season.

We'd guessed he would be, but it's notable that Ingram is already working with the first-team offense and getting a large chunk of top tailback reps. The clear-cut No. 1 fantasy rookie in this year's class, Ingram will offer double-digit touchdown potential as New Orleans' likely goal-line back. He also excels in the passing game and could make a serious run at 260-270 touches."

In a redraft? Over Moreno? Mathews? Deangelo? Blount? Hillis? S Jax? Bradshaw? Forte? Greene?

What about in a dynasty/keeper? Over Blount? Bradshaw? Forte? Greene? MJD? Gore? Perhaps it is better to discuss what RBs you would take ahead of him.

I wouldn't take him over sjax, bradshaw, blount or hillis. I like him better than all the others. I can see snagging him early 5th round range. You just never know with peyton what he will do.

Damn. That's 2 RB's now I was hoping to get at a value, Ingram and Greene. Both will probably move up in the rankings before September.

I don't trust Sean Payton. He'll find a way to get Sproles, Pierre, and eventually Ivory some touches throughout the year. Not to mention, Ingram is still an unproven rookie who none of us have seen on a field with other professionals. I'd like to actually see something from him before I start drafting him ahead of some of the more proven backs in the league.

Is he so much better than Pierre and Ivory that he forces himself into 260 touches?

How can he prove it in that offense?

Sproles was brought in for a role.

Ivory could have Goal line role.

Pierre will spell Ingram.

They throw all day.

Wherever Ingram is drafted, it will be too early for his value in that offense. I wish someone other than NO had drafted him.

Is he so much better than Pierre and Ivory that he forces himself into 260 touches? Yes

Sproles was brought in for a role. 3rd down/obvious passing

Ivory could have Goal line role. Lisfranc Surgery/doesn't sound good for beginning of season

Pierre will spell Ingram. Good, keep Ingram fresh

They throw all day. In 2009 (SB year) they were 6th overall for rushing in the NFL

Wherever Ingram is drafted, it will be too early for his value in that offense. I wish someone other than NO had drafted him. I think it's a fantastic situation for him

I second everything JB countered. And I put in 3 more things.

1. Look at what McAllister did when he was the clear cut #1.

2. Look what they gave up for him. They expect him to be the bell cow for years to come. (Look at the contract they DID NOT give Thomas)

3. This kid will give 110% every single time he touches the ball. First one to practice. Last one to leave. On the field, he's got talent, and his feet never stop moving. Putting him on a good team like N.O. isn't a negative, but a positive.

He'll be a top 10 back for the next 10 years.

2. Look what they gave up for him. They expect him to be the bell cow for years to come. (Look at the contract they DID NOT give Thomas)

3. This kid will give 110% every single time he touches the ball. First one to practice. Last one to leave. On the field, he's got talent, and his feet never stop moving. Putting him on a good team like N.O. isn't a negative, but a positive.

Good points.

But....BUT....he's still a rookie who was drafted during a work stoppage. How long will it take him to get acclimated to the speed of the NFL? Pass blocking? Not to mention, he was awesome in 2009, and less than that in 2010....and wasn't that because he was a little dinged up? Can he play effectively through pain?

I think he can be a nice pro, and in keeper/dynasty formats I'd roll the dice with him for the reasons you've outlined. But for this year....I think I might want a more proven commodity. I don't think I'd entertain selecting him until the 5th.....unless during the preseason he looks really good, in which case I'd bump him a round...round and a half.

Is he so much better than Pierre and Ivory that he forces himself into 260 touches?

Sproles was brought in for a role.

Ivory could have Goal line role.

Pierre will spell Ingram.

They throw all day.

Wherever Ingram is drafted, it will be too early for his value in that offense. I wish someone other than NO had drafted him.

Big Saints homer here. I've been listening to reports about training camp since it started this week. I still think it's to early in camp to see what their plans are right now. The first two preseason games will be a good indiactor on Igram as they will play him a lot. Ingram is working with the first unit with Sproles and Thomas. Ivory is still out and they released Hamilton yesterday. Looks like they're set a RB for now. Thomas, Sproles, and Ingram are all good at catching the swing pass. It will be an interesting matchup all year. People are already saying Reggie Who after watching Sproles. He was averaging six yards a carry running off tackle plays during practice yesterday.

Any good info you need about Saints players can be found here.

http://www.saintsreport.com/modules/Jig/index.php

How can he prove it in that offense? How can he not prove it? The Saints have been one of the top two offense the past three years.

Sproles was brought in for a role. His role is to fill Bush's role. Bush got five to ten touches a game. I think he averaged five when all backs were healty. He'll be a good decoy for Peytons offense and he'll be returning punts.

Ivory could have Goal line role. Ivory is a beast. It's been a while since I've seen a RB run with such wreckless abandon. He doesn't stop until the whistle blows and never goes out of bounds. He'll prolly only play eight games this year if he's lucky. He also has lingering foot problems. He's still not on the field.

Pierre will spell Ingram. Yes he will. And that's a good thing. Thomas also has a history of getting nicked up and missing a few games. Most teams have three RB systems. Thomas is the best swing and screen pass catching RB in the league. The swing pass he caught in the SB was average by his standards He will get a few of those every game and a few rushes. .

They throw all day. They threw a lot last year because of the RB injury situation. The year we won the SB they were 55/45 pass+. They also throw a lot of passes to the RB's. Our offensive line just got better with the addition of C Kreutz from Chicago. This offense just got a whole better because of Ingram. .

Deuce was an all purpose superstar coming out of Ole Miss. He did it all. In New Orleans he caught 69 balls his first year as the starter when Ricky left. Deuce ran a 4.4 at the combine.

Ingram is a runner...and not a burner. Ingram ran a 4.6 at the combine.

I'm not convinced he's going to have anything more than a mediocre year. Payton is setting up that RBBC from hell again. Its so far and different from the Deuce era its not even funny.

offensive line just got better with the addition of C Kreutz from Chicago.

The Saints signed Kruetz!? Way to be, Saints!

I just find it hard to believe that the Saints will just let Ingram be a bit part of a maddening, Shanahan-like RBBC because of what they gave up to draft Ingram.

If the Saints were content to just throw anyone out there at RB in a RBBC, they would have just settled for one of the lesser rookie RBs later in the draft to fill Bush's spot, or just stayed with Thomas and Hamilton. But they didn't. They moved up to take Ingram in the first round ahead of guys like Ryan Williams, Mikel LeShoure, Daniel Thomas, etc. I just don't think you would actively move up to take this kid if you were planning to just 50/50 split him with Thomas.

I just think that is a telling sign that they have big plans for this kid in their offense. Sure, Thomas and Sproles will have their roles as well, but if the Saints' offense is as good as we think it can be, there are going to be a bunch of 1-yard rushing TDs to be had, and many opportunities for Ingram to be used to kill the clock in the 4th quarter.

I honestly think he's going to win rookie of the year offensively unless Cam or either AJ Green or Julio Jones lights it up.

I say 255 carries, 1100 yards 9 TDs rushing; 35 receptions 380 yards receiving