Sign in to follow this  
Matt Mueller

Who are your auction targets

Does anyone prepare for auctions? Do you target players?

Dude, of course...Otherwise you'll get dragged into a spending spree and blow your allocated monies...

I like Rice and Stafford on your list... though Rice will likely get bid up I'm guessing.

You go in with your regular sheet of tiered players. That way you can throw out names around the players. If you want a top tier 1 at a position, get his name out as soon as possible. at QB - you like Brees - say brees asap. That way youll set the market with him and people will be less aggressive as others are left. In my draft Vick was announced first went for 25. Brees was last announced $29. Supply and Demand. At WR andre Johsnons announced first 20.50.. Jennings announced 6th - 22.50.. You wont get deals for top players but dont have oyur top guy be last top tier guy announced.

I would make a team with conservative values. That way if you get a guy for less shift that money to a player who might go for more. If oyu miss out on a guy - you should have 2 or 3 guys next to him you would sub in.. Almost like a family tree..

10 team 15 roster , 200 budget. These are the players i am targeting. Mocks have been falling in that range for bids.

1 PT PPR , 4pt TD

Ray Rice $45 to $50

Hillis $25 to $28

Forte $23 to $26

Felix $14 to $20

Reggie Bush $6 to $8

Ronnie Brown $2

Hardesty $1

Ben Tate $1 to $3

Marshall $25 to $28

Santana $5 to $9 (80+ receptions)

Britt $15 to $20

Amendola $12 to $15

Lance Moore $4

Witten $15 to $20

Gronokowski $5 to $8

Olsen $2 to $4

Matt Ryan $13 to $16

Eli $10 to $12

Bradford $6 to $10

Stafford $6 to $10

Some Def $1

Some Kicker $1

I'll be taking part in the SOFA Auction League draft tomorrow night. It's my third year in the league, with playoff appearances in the first two and a loss in the title game last season. Same $200 limit with PPR scoring and four points/passing TD. Twelve teams with 18-man rosters and 11 starters required.

Very sound advice above, so I'll just add that I'll post a link to the draft results here if you would like following the draft tomorrow night. After applying the "one stud at every position" theory last season, I'm going in with a bit more of an open mind this year. At the moment, I have my eyes set on the lowest-ranked QB1 that I believe can join the elite class this season and a likely RB3 who I think will play like a solid RB2. I don't expect to pay more than $25 for the pair (based on league history and such), so if I can land another value at TE - of which I believe there are many - I should have somewhere around $150 to spend on six spots (three RBs and three WRs hopefully).

It's important to "set the market" with a player in the tier of the player you really like, because savings at any position tends to mean a better player on another part of your roster. In closing, every auction will present value in an unexpected place, just like in a snake draft. The main difference is that if you play your cards right in an auction and show more patience than your fellow owners, you can come away with 10 players who should be drafted in the first 6-7 rounds of a snake draft.

Does anyone prepare for auctions? Do you target players?

Beware of targeting players! I tend to have "Tiers" of players I like and target positions. Generally I split my budget about 70/30 for Offense and Defense (if you are doing an IDP league as I do) and then set % to spend on positions. Usually RB is about half of the O budget. Don't be afraid of spending early but don't get carried away just because your target player is on the board. If they go overvalue, let them go and grab your #2 or #3

i have to disagree with whoever said to nominate the players you are interested.

i have always found that nominating top talent that you have NO interest in will get others spending their budget and leave them strapped much later one when you want some of your middle tier guys with upside.

definitely target some cheaper values.

if this is PPR i would consider Santana Moss and maybe even Percy Harvin as very good value plays. Felix Jones before his pricetag is thru the roof. Greg Olsen

i would grab 2 studs and then alot of these types of guys.

Alot of this depends on the number of teams in the league and scoring format too. My league was only 8 teams (hate small leagues) with a short bench so I knew I could overspend for a handful of elite players and have a ton of options on the WW.

The tiers of players is what I did and it worked out suprisingly well for me. Last year was my first auction and I went the value route, I had a solid team that made the playoffs but lost in first round. This year I went Studs and Scrubs route, with a few elite players and the rest what I could find. I blew 85% of my budget in the first 3 rounds and then did not add another player till very late.

Make sure you breakdown your budget to each position and have that sheet near by to reference. I went with 130 (3)RB /30 (1) QB/ 30 (2)WR/rest on TE. Don't beat yourself up if you go over a bit either, I ended up spending 146 at RB/40 at QB and ignored WR and TE. It sounds bad but everyone ran out of money, and I actually ended up with the most cash for the last 5 rounds and could cherry pick the sleepers for $2 bucks a pop since my oponents were limited to $1bids by their budget.

QB Vick36

RB A.Peterson59/Mendenhall49/MJD33 (we start 2RB and a Flex)

WR Marshall 2/S.Johnson 2

TE Winslow 1

K Rackers 2 (I know but I had spare cash)

Def Chargers 2

Bench Best3/Romo4/Wells2 (I saved $23 bucks for end of draft and everyone ran out of cash, this only worked due to small league size)

I actually had $5 bucks left over. Your right I am showing off I am proud of this squad. But you can see the downfall of this strategy if this had been a 10 or 12 team draft, I would have had no one at WR or on the bench.

A.Peterson was the most expensive player in the draft. I had been targeting 2 of the 3 RB's Peterson/Rice/Mendenhall.

Alot of this depends on the number of teams in the league and scoring format too. My league was only 8 teams (hate small leagues) with a short bench so I knew I could overspend for a handful of elite players and have a ton of options on the WW.

The tiers of players is what I did and it worked out suprisingly well for me. Last year was my first auction and I went the value route, I had a solid team that made the playoffs but lost in first round. This year I went Studs and Scrubs route, with a few elite players and the rest what I could find. I blew 85% of my budget in the first 3 rounds and then did not add another player till very late.

Make sure you breakdown your budget to each position and have that sheet near by to reference. I went with 130 (3)RB /30 (1) QB/ 30 (2)WR/rest on TE. Don't beat yourself up if you go over a bit either, I ended up spending 146 at RB/40 at QB and ignored WR and TE. It sounds bad but everyone ran out of money, and I actually ended up with the most cash for the last 5 rounds and could cherry pick the sleepers for $2 bucks a pop since my oponents were limited to $1bids by their budget.

QB Vick36

RB A.Peterson59/Mendenhall49/MJD33 (we start 2RB and a Flex)

WR Marshall 2/S.Johnson 2

TE Winslow 1

K Rackers 2 (I know but I had spare cash)

Def Chargers 2

Bench Best3/Romo4/Wells2 (I saved $23 bucks for end of draft and everyone ran out of cash, this only worked due to small league size)

I actually had $5 bucks left over. Your right I am showing off I am proud of this squad. But you can see the downfall of this strategy if this had been a 10 or 12 team draft, I would have had no one at WR or on the bench.

A.Peterson was the most expensive player in the draft. I had been targeting 2 of the 3 RB's Peterson/Rice/Mendenhall.

That's a nice looking team, but in my friend's 8-team league, everyone has amazing looking teams. He has Peyton Manning/Chris Johnson/Adrian Peterson/Roddy White and a bunch of scrubs.

I agree with whoever said to nominate players you are NOT interested in - especially early - you'll get your competition spending their dough while you hold onto yours for who you want.

I was 'targeting' Rice and Romo in a recent auction as well. Rice was the 7th player nominated (not by me) and got bid up to $54 (which is what I spent to get him). Converesly I got Romo as the 34th player nominated for $17 after people had spent $25-45 on Vick/Rodgers/Brees/Brady. Some of auctioning is the luck of when the player you want comes up for bid, but the rest of it how you manage your money.

My team from that auction:

Rice

Greene

F jackson

M Lynch

Romo

Kolb

Hicks

R White

M Thomas

Ammedola

AJ Green

J Finley

M Lewis

L Tines

NYG Def

Probably 60-65% of my total cap was spent on my top 5 players. I'm happy with this team.

i have to disagree with whoever said to nominate the players you are interested.

i have always found that nominating top talent that you have NO interest in will get others spending their budget and leave them strapped much later one when you want some of your middle tier guys with upside.

definitely target some cheaper values.

if this is PPR i would consider Santana Moss and maybe even Percy Harvin as very good value plays. Felix Jones before his pricetag is thru the roof. Greg Olsen

i would grab 2 studs and then alot of these types of guys.

:thumbsup:

what i was thinking.

This is a mock draft for a 12 team league that I did from the 4 spot that I really like.

Would I be able to target and build a team similar? What prices would I put at these players?

1. Rice

2. Forte

3. Wallace

4. F. Jones

5. Dez Bryant

6. S. Holmes

7. O. Daniels

8 P. Thomas

9. K. Winslow

10. Joe Flacco

11. M. Bush

12. Nate Burelson

13. R. Jennings

14. D

15. K

This is a mock draft for a 12 team league that I did from the 4 spot that I really like.

Would I be able to target and build a team similar? What prices would I put at these players?

1. Rice

2. Forte

3. Wallace

4. F. Jones

5. Dez Bryant

6. S. Holmes

7. O. Daniels

8 P. Thomas

9. K. Winslow

10. Joe Flacco

11. M. Bush

12. Nate Burelson

13. R. Jennings

14. D

15. K

It really all depends on the auction. You could get a team with those guys. OR you could run into another owner who wants some of those same players, as badly as you do. If that happens, for example, Rice could for for $60 or more, when he had typically been going for around the $45-$50 range. Every auction is different.

I try to set budgets by position....and have a few players in tiers, by $$ amount. That way I can be flexible and change along with the changing patterns of the auction. Good luck...hope this helps.

My auction team is in my sig. 40 dollar cap, and we draft 24 players which includes IDP. Either way you shake it out, 40,100,200 dollar cap it all comes down to what your willing to spend and which players you kept from previous year(we can keep up to 10 3yr contracts).

Like others said, throw top players out that you aren't interested in. Gotta get money off the board.

Have a solid core your willing to target, and keep it to yourself, owners will bid jack you if they know.

Remember not all "top" players will be drafter, always that gem on the ww you can find. So if your spread pretty thin at a position watch the 1st week and go on your instinct.

and last but not least...STAY SOBER! :thumbsup:

I am all for overspending to get your guys too. It can set a tone too, you dont want to bid against that guy he is crazy, just watch out that other players don't start bidding you up.

If you do happen to blow your budget early, save 25ish for the later rounds. You can still find some value this way and round out your squad.

Nominate players you dont want UNTIL your budget starts to fall to last 15%ish. If you throw out a silly name late and everyone else is low on funds your going to get stuck with them. So once everyones budget is lower and your at the tail end of the draft you can and should start throwing out names of players you want, best case you get them for a buck worst case 3-5.

Guys, here is what I was able to do in the SOFA Auction League draft tonight. Four points/passing TD, 2 RB-3 WR-TE-Flex setup with PPR scoring.

To say I am pleased would be an understatement. I was shocked that most of my studs were all at least $5 cheaper than I expected. Anyway...

http://games.espn.go.com/ffl/tools/draftrecap?leagueId=458329

I have really started to :wub: Matt Ryan over the past week simply because everything seems to be coming together for him with playmakers at every position. I didn't realize I also nabbed both of his wideouts until a few minutes after getting Jones. I can't believe I landed Lewis for $2 so late either. Collie was my one gift to myself for being more selective this year. I still very much like Best, but I couldn't pass up both Hillis and Forte in the 20s.