Sign in to follow this  
Frank   M

I pissed some guys off at my draft last night

12 team serpentine draft, picked 3rd overall.

This year is the first year we combined the TE and WR position. The guy picking 12th took Rivers and Mendenhall at the turn, then when it came back up, said he was taking Gates as his first receiver. Wayne, Colston, Austin, Mike Williams were still out there, so I reminded him that you don't have to take a TE as your first guy unless you want to. Didn't tell him who to pick, or that he shouldn't take Gates, nothing, just reminded him that he was taking a TE as his first wideout. He said, "Oh, you're right", then took Wayne instead. The guy next to him was furious because he wanted Wayne and had to take Bowe instead. Then he was more pissed when I took Gates in the fourth, saying I told the guy picking 12th not to take him so that I could get him.

I don't call it cheating, I call it shrewd drafting.

:thumbsup:

12 team serpentine draft, picked 3rd overall.

This year is the first year we combined the TE and WR position. The guy picking 12th took Rivers and Mendenhall at the turn, then when it came back up, said he was taking Gates as his first receiver. Wayne, Colston, Austin, Mike Williams were still out there, so I reminded him that you don't have to take a TE as your first guy unless you want to. Didn't tell him who to pick, or that he shouldn't take Gates, nothing, just reminded him that he was taking a TE as his first wideout. He said, "Oh, you're right", then took Wayne instead. The guy next to him was furious because he wanted Wayne and had to take Bowe instead. Then he was more pissed when I took Gates in the fourth, saying I told the guy picking 12th not to take him so that I could get him.

I don't call it cheating, I call it shrewd drafting.

:thumbsup:

wow if i was the guy who wanted wayne and couldnt due to you convincing the other team to pick a WR instead I would have punched you right in the face without any hesitation!!! I hope this isnt a money league for your sake.....During my draft NO one can talk to teams about who to pick up..and NO name dropping!!!! Dunno why your raving about your selfishness tactics....Its obviously apparent that you wanted gates from the get go...But other then that..COOL STORY BRO

wow if i was the guy who wanted wayne and couldnt due to you convincing the other team to pick a WR instead I would have punched you right in the face without any hesitation!!! I hope this isnt a money league for your sake.....During my draft NO one can talk to teams about who to pick up..and NO name dropping!!!! Dunno why your raving about your selfishness tactics....Its obviously apparent that you wanted gates from the get go...But other then that..COOL STORY BRO

Alright, you need to chill a bit. The way I read it, this is the first year of the rule change, and the guy was justifiably confused about it. It wasn't that this poster was trying to angle for Gates as much as just making sure that the drafter knew what the new rule change was. If I was the drafter that was mistaken, I would have appreciated the clarification. Sounds to me like the guy that wanted Wayne but had to settle for Bowe is a little b1tch.

Brother - I'd be pissed ....

What kind of league lets someone recant a pick that's already been made??

Let alone picking Gates or R Wayne in the end of rd 1 or beginning of round 2 ?? :(

JMHO...

Dr RB

im going to have to call this a ###### move only because it sounds like he had already selected Gates.

you should have reminded the whole league of the rule change prior to the draft starting if your true intention was to help him out. Otherwise, each owner is respobsible for knowing the leagues rules.

I would be pretty upsef if I were the guy who wanted Wayne and I think he is justified.

Im not saying you "cheated" to get Gates for yourself, but i do think you should have kept your mouth shut.

There are a few different scenarios here:

Frank somewhat implies that this guy made some tabletalk about picking up Gates prior to making his pick, and Frank responded. This is perfectily legit as long as he said it prior to his turn to draft.

The second scenario is that the guy drafted Gates, and then Frank talked him out of the pick. If this is the case, the commish should have immediately announced owner X picks Gates. In that case, it is end of discussion, Gates is off the board.

Perhaps Frank would clarify, but I'm guessing the second scenario is the case and you had a weak commish who just let it go. In that case, the other owners have every right to be pissed off, but the real culprit here would be the commish.

If the second scenario is really what happened AND if Frank is also the Commish, then he should apologize to the league and offer to resign as commish.

However, if Frank was the commish, and was only clarifiying the rule before officially acknowledging the pick and did not suggest anything else, then Frank should still apologize for the confusion, but let the league no that he was clarifying only and in no way suggested the guy should NOT pick Gates or attempted to influence the pick in any way.

There is often a lot of tabletalk that goes on during live drafts, and it is sometimes hard to know if a pick was really made or the guy is just musing (and sometimes joking). During live drafts especially, it is important for the Commissioner to remain firmly in control. In most leagues where there is live drafts, the pick is not official until the Commish formally recognizes the pick.

Alright, you need to chill a bit. The way I read it, this is the first year of the rule change, and the guy was justifiably confused about it. It wasn't that this poster was trying to angle for Gates as much as just making sure that the drafter knew what the new rule change was. If I was the drafter that was mistaken, I would have appreciated the clarification. Sounds to me like the guy that wanted Wayne but had to settle for Bowe is a little b1tch.

Agreed.. that is a little thing I like to call "Good Karma"... help out a friend genuinely.. and be rewarded with A.Gates in the 4th round :overhead:

Until you put the sticker on the board, or make your pick online, you haven't drafted the guy. So, if someone gets up and announces that he's drafting Gates......until he actually puts the sticker on the board, I'll say whatever I want to deter him if he's the player I want.

It's no different than starting a rumor that some player is about to get cut or has some nagging injury.

Until the name is on the board, everything is fair game. Talking smack is the whole point of a live draft.

Well done, OP.

im going to have to call this a ###### move only because it sounds like he had already selected Gates.

you should have reminded the whole league of the rule change prior to the draft starting if your true intention was to help him out. Otherwise, each owner is respobsible for knowing the leagues rules.

I would be pretty upsef if I were the guy who wanted Wayne and I think he is justified.

Im not saying you "cheated" to get Gates for yourself, but i do think you should have kept your mouth shut.

Agree with this. But also, if Gates was actually selected, the commish should of made that pick final and moved on. To let someone change their pick after they made it, can always cause problems, especially if that person then selects someone that the person behind them was targetting.

Talking smack is cool and all but I HATE the folks who throw out names and tell someone to draft. Your sitting there with your intentions on drafting say Stevie Johnson and the guy before you is debating TE's and some dude says "Hey Stevie Johnson is still out there" . Frackin hate that, Should have just let him draft Gates and been quiet. I cant blame the guy that wanted Reggie Wayne. Like the 2nd guy said , Lucky he didnt have a bad temper and punch you in the face in front of your wife and kids (Thats a joke , its a old story , great story if you have been around long enough I am sure you know it. Classic thread)

Bunch a titty babies in this thread. Your all men right? Act like it

who are you?

The voice of reason?

please

ill bet anything if some guy before you called out his pick and another owner convinced him to change his pick and take the guy you wanted and the commish let it happen, you'd be whining like a bitch

:lol:

So telling someone they don't have to draft a tight end is telling them who to draft? No sticker on the board, no pick official yet, just a gentle reminder of the rules.

I bet all the whiners here are the same guys who would veto trades, too.

So telling someone they don't have to draft a tight end is telling them who to draft? No sticker on the board, no pick official yet, just a gentle reminder of the rules.

I bet all the whiners here are the same guys who would veto trades, too.

i would never veto a trade.. that would be influencing someone elses decision... just like telling them something after they pick. :doh:

i would never veto a trade.. that would be influencing someone elses decision... just like telling them something after they pick. :doh:

:dunno:

I helped him make a better pick.

I'm of the firm belief that EVERYONE in the draft either knows the rules of the league or else they can suffer the consequences. Suggestions or tips on who to draft is helping the enemy and that doesn't fly in any league I'm in unless its a free one.

I don't care about the guy after this pick. I care about ALL the other owners. I say keep most suggestions to yourself.

:dunno:

I helped him make a better pick.

let him run his own team... just like veto owners should let those manager run their own teams :dunno:

Until you put the sticker on the board, or make your pick online, you haven't drafted the guy. So, if someone gets up and announces that he's drafting Gates......until he actually puts the sticker on the board, I'll say whatever I want to deter him if he's the player I want.

It's no different than starting a rumor that some player is about to get cut or has some nagging injury.

Many live draft leagues do not use a draft board or "stickers". I've only been in one that did. And I'd hazzard to guess that in very few leagues does an owner have to get up from his chair and physically put the name on the board. If you do use a draft board and the owner must walk up, then I'd say the official draft occurs at the point the owner puts the name on the board. But I doubt that that is the case here. I'd also think that is usually that function is performed by the stripper. :)

In all of my recent live leagues, the commissioner immediately anounces the pick and then it is recorded onto a PC draft program. The printed version of the draft and every team's roster is available soon after the draft. So in my leagus, the pick is in as soon as the guy announces his pick. The commissioner promptly acknowledges it. Done deal.

My point is that whether you use a board, or a stripper or a computer, the commissioner must maintain control of the live draft situation. I don't believe that Frank has told the whole story. He still hasn't clarified the exact sequence or if he was the commish here, but the commissioner should have reviewed any new rule changes before the draft. Then there would have been no reason for Frank to be so 'helpful'.

"I don't call it cheating, I call it shrewd drafting. :thumbsup: "

I'm also guessing that the guy had already called out his pick. And I don't believe that Frank has told the whole story.

Frank-ly the OP sounds a more than a little douchey. To me, Frank is just a little too proud of what he did.

Many live draft leagues do not use a draft board or "stickers". I've only been in one that did. And I'd hazzard to guess that in very few leagues does an owner have to get up from his chair and physically put the name on the board. If you do use a draft board and the owner must walk up, then I'd say the official draft occurs at the point the owner puts the name on the board. But I'd think that usually that function is performed by the stripper. :)

In all of my recent live leagues, the commissioner immediately anounces the pick and then it is recorded onto a PC draft program. The printed version of the draft and every team's roster is available soon after the draft. So in my leagus, the pick is in as soon as the guy announces his pick. The commissioner promptly acknowledges it. Done deal.

My point is that whether you use a board, or a stripper or a computer, the commissioner must maintain control of the live draft ssituation. I still don't know if Frank was the commish here, but the commissioner should have reviewed any new rule changes before the draft. Then there would have been no reason for Frank to be so 'helpful'.

completely agree... even in my league where we use a "draft board" it is commonly accepted that the player declared is the player picked. Sometimes 3 or 4 picks are made before they get officially written on the board. Especially with all the drinking and eating and no one ever wanting to be in charge of writing the names.

its an intense league but casual in the sense that we dont sit there like losers with a stopwatch for picks and demand that each owner write there pick on the board as soon as they make it.

please

ill bet anything if some guy before you called out his pick and another owner convinced him to change his pick and take the guy you wanted and the commish let it happen, you'd be whining like a bitch

Anything? :unsure: That's a bit desperate. :lol: Aaaaaaaaand the above statement confirms my original post. Titty baby :pointstosky:

:popcorn:

Since manning is getting a second surgery, maybe the crybaby should stfu about not getting wayne.

:overhead:

eta: manning seems to be avoiding surgery so the crybaby can resume his whining

anything is fair game until the next guy makes his pick i say. so long as there isn't any collusion.

usually when someone makes an awful pick in my draft the room gets really quiet until the next pick is made so its official and we can all begin ripping on the pick. love those moments.

If no cheating on wives or girlfriends happened, it is fair. Sweep the leg.

WINNER!