Sign in to follow this  
Antiramie

Nate Washington

Anyone confident in him this week against Pitt D, who gives up the least pts to WRs so far? He is the #1 in Tenn, but does that mean anything this Sunday?

I'm benching Nate in favor of Pierre Garcon this week. I just don't like the matchup even though Pittsburgh doesn't seem quite as formidable as in previous years. I'm probably making the wrong decision, so you should probably start Washington.

As a Steelers fan, it hurts me to say this...but the #1 ranking against the pass is a fallacy. They're only ranked #1 because their run defense leaks like a sieve. They can be passed on. I'm not expecting huge #'s out of Washington, but he and Hass seem to have good chemistry working and the Steelers are gonna sell out to stop Johnson because their arse is still sore from the previous RB encounters they've had.

The last 3 QBs the Steelers have faced were Tavaris Jackson (without Sidney Rice), Kerry Collins/Painter, and Matt Schaub without Andre Johnson. So don't be fooled by any inflated ranking. Their already meager pass rush will be nonexistent this week with Harrison out. And they are suddenly vulnerable to the run also, which is almost unheard of for the Steelers. I expect good games from both Hasselbeck passing and Chris Johnson on the ground. Start Washington if you normally would.

The last 3 QBs the Steelers have faced were Tavaris Jackson (without Sidney Rice), Kerry Collins/Painter, and Matt Schaub without Andre Johnson. So don't be fooled by any inflated ranking. Their already meager pass rush will be nonexistent this week with Harrison out. And they are suddenly vulnerable to the run also, which is almost unheard of for the Steelers. I expect good games from both Hasselbeck passing and Chris Johnson on the ground. Start Washington if you normally would.

i'm a steelers fan and agree with the sentiments herein that the defense is not one to be feared. however, i expect the pass rush to possibly get better with harrison out. back in the day harrison would have been someone they would have let go to another team for big money and they would have another younger, hungrier player ready to go. hopefully worilds, or other, will be that next guy

A comment and a question since there seems to be a fair amount of Steelers fans in the house.

Comment: Washington will likely draw Ike Taylor most of the day. While Taylor may not be able to keep a handle on the ball when he's got it in his hands, he is a shadow CB by all accounts and is certainly an above-average CB, if not better.

Question: I keep hearing all this noise about the Steelers getting old. While I don't discount that (Aaron Smith, Farrior, Hampton to name a few), I can't believe EVERYONE has fallen off a cliff thus far. In past years, Steeler LBs lived in the backfield. I've seen at least two of their games this year and I see virtually no aggressiveness in their play or play-calling. When a big play is being made, it is Polamalu timing up the snap count. Anyway, the question...are they too old now, Steeler homers?

I'm starting him with confidence.

By confidence, I mean that due to injurys, I have no choice.

A comment and a question since there seems to be a fair amount of Steelers fans in the house.

Comment: Washington will likely draw Ike Taylor most of the day. While Taylor may not be able to keep a handle on the ball when he's got it in his hands, he is a shadow CB by all accounts and is certainly an above-average CB, if not better.

Question: I keep hearing all this noise about the Steelers getting old. While I don't discount that (Aaron Smith, Farrior, Hampton to name a few), I can't believe EVERYONE has fallen off a cliff thus far. In past years, Steeler LBs lived in the backfield. I've seen at least two of their games this year and I see virtually no aggressiveness in their play or play-calling. When a big play is being made, it is Polamalu timing up the snap count. Anyway, the question...are they too old now, Steeler homers?

It's a combination of things, and honestly, the biggest issue the defense has right now is the damned offense. It actually bugged the crap out of me that Hines Ward came out and said that the offense needs to carry the defense right now when a large part of it is because the offense. Pittsburgh leads the league in turnovers and it's not even close. They're -10 in 4 games. That's mainly for 2 reasons, the offensive line and Ben. Arians needs to realize that Ben doesn't have the luxury of 4 seconds to hold the ball and go to a short passing/ball control game until the line gels a little. Force the defense to back off Ben a bit and hopefully give the defense a chance to rest. Old defensed like the Steelers don't do well when they get about 2 plays to rest then have to go in because their dumbass QB put the ball on the ground again or into a DB's hands.

From what I have seen, the slow recovery and now injury for Harrison is having an effect, as offenses haven't had to double him or bring in TE help. That allows them to devote more attention to Woodley on the other side. Also, I'm seeing the age now in Hampton and Farrior, as the interior of the defense has been getting gashed. I honestly think they'll get it together as the schedule softens in the next few games, but they may never be back to what we're used to.

I don't want to hijack the thread here, but I'm wrestling with dropping the Steelers defense in my biggest money league. I saw them get blown off the ball by Baltimore and Indy, but can't bring myself to do it with the fantasy playoff schedule they have. Then again, I have Houston and Tennessee for the same reason too and both of them are producing now.

Now getting to your reply, jgcrawfish. The offense - from the two games I've seen - certainly needs to take its fair share of the blame and that -10 TO margin isn't doing the old guys on the defense any favors. But in both games, the Ravens and Texans were both running the ball against the defense early in the first half as well. I just can't bring myself to believe a LeBeau-coached defense won't find the answer. I've seen Harrison dominate at times and look like a complete liability a few plays later. I can't remember seeing a d-lineman beat his block in either game to redirect the RB. With that said, the only game in which they couldn't keep the opposing offense off the scoreboard (for the most part) was the Ravens game. So, for one of the few times in recent years, I really don't know what I think about a fantasy player/defense.

As a Steelers fan, it hurts me to say this...but the #1 ranking against the pass is a fallacy. They're only ranked #1 because their run defense leaks like a sieve. They can be passed on. I'm not expecting huge #'s out of Washington, but he and Hass seem to have good chemistry working and the Steelers are gonna sell out to stop Johnson because their arse is still sore from the previous RB encounters they've had.

As another Steelers fan, I totally agree that the #1 pass d is a joke. But that said, Ike is still good enough to take Washington out of this game.

Titans leading receiver today will be Cook. Steelers have had trouble with TEs this year (Dickson - 5 for 59, 1 TD; Daniels - 5 for 69, 1 TD), and Cook is a better athlete than either of them.

I'm going with Washington in both of my leagues. In one as a WR2, in the other as a FLEX (over I. Redman???). :shocking:

I agree with some of the other posters, that PIT DEF's ranking is influenced by who they've played so far in 2011. And, I think Washington will have "extra incentive" this week to play well against his old team. :pointstosky:

Update: Okay, everyone is reporting that Mendenhall is basically OUT for Wk 5. I HATE doing last-minute roster changes, but I just dropped out Washington for Redman at my FLEX spot. :unsure:

I'm going with Washington in both of my leagues. In one as a WR2, in the other as a FLEX (over I. Redman???). :shocking:

I agree with some of the other posters, that PIT DEF's ranking is influenced by who they've played so far in 2011. And, I think Washington will have "extra incentive" this week to play well against his old team. :pointstosky:

Ike Taylor is a good player, but I would be careful about overrating him. In the two games where the Steelers faced legit NFL QBs, Boldin went for 74 and a score in week 1, and Andre Johnson was well on his way to an 8 catch game last week before he pulled up lame. The Steelers have no pass rush and the Titans have done a good job protecting Hass anyway. And, as has been stated, Washington will have extra incentive against his former team. I have no trouble seeing 70+ and a possible score for Nate. Nothing spectacular, but a solid #3 option.

Ike Taylor is a good player, but I would be careful about overrating him. In the two games where the Steelers faced legit NFL QBs, Boldin went for 74 and a score in week 1, and Andre Johnson was well on his way to an 8 catch game last week before he pulled up lame. The Steelers have no pass rush and the Titans have done a good job protecting Hass anyway. And, as has been stated, Washington will have extra incentive against his former team. I have no trouble seeing 70+ and a possible score for Nate. Nothing spectacular, but a solid #3 option.

Taylor wasn't on Boldin in Week 1, Bryant McFadden was. Taylor was on Lee Evans, who had 0 receptions for 0 yards and 0 TD. As for Andre....well, unless you're Revis or Asomugha, chances are Johnson's going to get the better of you.

I also wouldn't even try to put Washington in the class of Andre or even Boldin. He's an okay #2 receiver forced into the #1 role, and a good cover corner (which Taylor is) will limit his production severely.

As for incentive, Washington has already played against his former team. Twice.

2009, Week 1 - 1 rec for 8 yards

2010, Week 2 - 4 rec for 34 yards, 1 TD

But I'm sure he'll really be trying to get some revenge on the third try.

Taylor wasn't on Boldin in Week 1, Bryant McFadden was. Taylor was on Lee Evans, who had 0 receptions for 0 yards and 0 TD. As for Andre....well, unless you're Revis or Asomugha, chances are Johnson's going to get the better of you.

I also wouldn't even try to put Washington in the class of Andre or even Boldin. He's an okay #2 receiver forced into the #1 role, and a good cover corner (which Taylor is) will limit his production severely.

As for incentive, Washington has already played against his former team. Twice.

2009, Week 1 - 1 rec for 8 yards

2010, Week 2 - 4 rec for 34 yards, 1 TD

But I'm sure he'll really be trying to get some revenge on the third try.

Okay, I'll take these in reverse:

1) You're quoting stats from games with crappy Vince Young or Kerry Collins at QB, not Hasselbeck. Also games from before Washington was the clear #1 WR on that team. Irrelevant numbers.

2) Washington is certainly in a class ability-wise with Boldin at this point in his career. You may have noticed that Boldin is not the same player he was 3 or 4 years ago.

3) The point is that the Steelers have no particular track record of disappearing #1 WRs with good QBs this year.

For the record I don't dislike Washington. He's on the bench in a lot of my leagues and depending on the matchups he'll have some good games this year. I just don't have high expectations for this one.

Had to start Washington do to bye-weeks and think is a better play than Knox. Washington also knows that the Steelers which may give him an edge.

He was about 6 inches away from a monster game. Had a TD catch broken up on a nice play by Polamolu on the opening drive, got tackled at the 1 prior to Johnson's TD, and had Hass throw a brick when he was open by 15 yards in the endzone in the 4th. 5/69, pretty respectable considering a less than stellar game by Hass or anyone else on the Titans. Still well on pace for a 1,000 yard season.

He was about 6 inches away from a monster game. Had a TD catch broken up on a nice play by Polamolu on the opening drive, got tackled at the 1 prior to Johnson's TD, and had Hass throw a brick when he was open by 15 yards in the endzone in the 4th. 5/69, pretty respectable considering a less than stellar game by Hass or anyone else on the Titans. Still well on pace for a 1,000 yard season.

That play absolutely killed me as CJ punched it in next play and I'm facing him. Nothing worse than two plays like that as a fantasy owner. :thumbsdown:

That play absolutely killed me as CJ punched it in next play and I'm facing him. Nothing worse than two plays like that as a fantasy owner. :thumbsdown:

Worse still is I had Washington ANd Hasslebeck on my team this week due to Romo bye. If those 3 missed TDs become TDs it's a 36 point swing for me. As it stands now I'll likely lose this week :/