Sign in to follow this  
Phurfur

Obama's Student-Loan Order Saves the Average Grad

My student loan payments are 700 dollars a month, and it is worth every penny.

I read over the description of obama's plan, and it does not save me a single cent. My loans are all through private institutions.

$10 is all it takes to buy a college students vote. ;)

I read over the description of obama's plan, and it does not save me a single cent. My loans are all through private institutions.

Obama is picking the winners again, it makes him feel powerful. This is just one more way to divide the coutry.

Obama is picking the winners again, it makes him feel powerful. This is just one more way to divide the coutry.

In all reality the loan repayment plan should not be helping me anyways. Unless I suffer a catasrophic accident I will have no problems repaying my 50k + in student loan debt.

Unless of course obama bankrupts the oil industry.

In all reality the loan repayment plan should not be helping me anyways. Unless I suffer a catasrophic accident I will have no problems repaying my 50k + in student loan debt.

Unless of course obama bankrupts the oil industry.

They shouldn't be helping anyone!

Obama isn't interested in coming up with a solution to anything. This is just more smoke and mirrors that gives him a catchy soundbite phrase for the campaign trail so he can fool the Newbies of the country again.

He's a joke.

If you haven't consolidated your student loans through Direct Loans you're doing it wrong. :nono:

My interest rates were cut by 3% when I consolidated earlier this year. My payment went down a lot, so I'm still making the same payment every month but I will pay them off faster.

If you haven't consolidated your student loans through Direct Loans you're doing it wrong. :nono:

My interest rates were cut by 3% when I consolidated earlier this year. My payment went down a lot, so I'm still making the same payment every month but I will pay them off faster.

I will look into it, thanks :cheers:

I finally paid all mine off in June!

The last 3.5 years were brutal. I was giving 20% of every check to pay it off faster. I also gave up my income tax return for the last 5 years. I didn't go any where (no vacations, no weekend trips), no restaurants, Christmas/Birthday gifts were limited, etc....

It was completely worth it. Now = New house, new car, vacations, etc.... but it f'n sucked bad for about 5-6 years.

I finally paid all mine off in June!

The last 3.5 years were brutal. I was giving 20% of every check to pay it off faster. I also gave up my income tax return for the last 5 years. I didn't go any where (no vacations, no weekend trips), no restaurants, Christmas/Birthday gifts were limited, etc....

It was completely worth it. Now = New house, new car, vacations, etc.... but it f'n sucked bad for about 5-6 years.

Good for you :thumbsup:

The problem now a days is that 95% these little fuckchops coming out of college have been living on mommy and daddy's teet for so long they think they are entitled to everything for free. And Obama is trying to give it to them for their vote. :thumbsdown:

The problem now a days is that 95% these little fuckchops coming out of college have been living on mommy and daddy's teet for so long they think they are entitled to everything for free. And Obama is trying to give it to them for their vote. :thumbsdown:

Obummer is really pandering for the wrong vote if he's hitting up college students - 18-24 is by far the lowest turnout in every election.

Obummer is really pandering for the wrong vote if he's hitting up college students - 18-24 is by far the lowest turnout in every election.

And he knows he's going to need every single vote he can buy. ;)

With our tax dollars :mad:

The OP said it would only save the avg american 4-8 dollars a month... How did you twist this into free? :dunno:

Agree with that, but I think most people in the their 30s and 40s don't understand how incredibly bad the job market is for new graduates. Back in the 80s, 90s, even in the early 00s, you graduated and generally found a job in your field within a year, if that. I believe I read something that said something like under 30% of graduates find a job in their field within the first 2 or 3 years.

Basically, you have 2 choices after you graduate now, unless you get lucky of course. 1) Find a lower level job like at starbucks, server, ect or 2) Go to grad school and go further in student loan debt.

I've know dozens of recent graduates, the only ones that found jobs in their field right away are either the computer/tech people, or they had a relative that owned a business or something that got them in right away.

I am 22 and a server at a restaurant and am still working on my undergrad. I work with a lot of people with both undergrad and graduate degrees. They generally say either they couldn't find a job in their field or they actually make more money being a server/bartender/supervisor than they would at the jobs they were offered.

Plus, the education system is terribly flawed. Most are forced to spend way too much money and time on a degree when they don't need or want to take 80% of the classes they take. It's incredibly inefficient and wasteful and it pisses me off that I HAVE to do that it order to get into the career I want and spent many tens of thousands of dollars to do so.

At the risk of sounding like a looooooooooser, can my student loans be forgiven if they were before 1988? I still owe $20,000 and it's been 25 years since I took out the loans.

At the risk of sounding like a looooooooooser, can my student loans be forgiven if they were before 1988? I still owe $20,000 and it's been 25 years since I took out the loans.

Only if you vote for Obama. HTH :thumbsdown:

Agree with that, but I think most people in the their 30s and 40s don't understand how incredibly bad the job market is for new graduates. Back in the 80s, 90s, even in the early 00s, you graduated and generally found a job in your field within a year, if that. I believe I read something that said something like under 30% of graduates find a job in their field within the first 2 or 3 years.

The problem is that college students are choosing more useless degrees than ever before. The job market is pretty good if you choose the right degree.

I've know dozens of recent graduates, the only ones that found jobs in their field right away are either the computer/tech people, or they had a relative that owned a business or something that got them in right away.

Exactly, choose a degree that is demand. It is your fault if you cannot find a job after graduating.

The problem is that college students are choosing more useless degrees than ever before. The job market is pretty good if you choose the right degree.

Exactly, choose a degree that is demand. It is your fault if you cannot find a job after graduating.

Yep, I've never known a motivated person in an in-demand field who remained jobless for long.

Basically, you have 2 choices after you graduate now, unless you get lucky of course. 1) Find a lower level job like at starbucks, server, ect or 2) Go to grad school and go further in student loan debt.

I am 22 and a server at a restaurant and am still working on my undergrad. I work with a lot of people with both undergrad and graduate degrees. They generally say either they couldn't find a job in their field or they actually make more money being a server/bartender/supervisor than they would at the jobs they were offered.

Plus, the education system is terribly flawed. Most are forced to spend way too much money and time on a degree when they don't need or want to take 80% of the classes they take. It's incredibly inefficient and wasteful and it pisses me off that I HAVE to do that it order to get into the career I want and spent many tens of thousands of dollars to do so.

The world needs ditch diggers too.