Sign in to follow this  
cribdog

Legalize Pot to Save Lives?

Comparing traffic deaths over time in states with and without medical marijuana law changes, the researchers found that fatal car wrecks dropped by 9% in states that legalized medical use — which was largely attributable to a decline in drunk driving. The researchers controlled for other factors like changes in driving laws and the number of miles driven that could affect the results.

Read more: http://healthland.time.com/2011/12/02/why-medical-marijuana-laws-reduce-traffic-deaths/#ixzz1fa8YQVSn

Are you buying it? Legalize pot, people drink less, more drunks off the road, less people die. I can see it. When you drive high, you drive slow and cautious, when you drive drunk, you drive fast and loose.

Who would've thought we need to legalize the weed to save lives? :shocking:

Don't forget rendering Mexican drug cartels moot, relieving our overstrained criminal justice system, raise tax money, create jobs/industry.

You stoners crack me up with your constant defending of your drug of choice. :lol:

Put down the pipe, take a shower and drive sober. It's not that hard.

You stoners crack me up with your constant defending of your drug of choice. :lol:

Sux values the life of cats over the lives of citizens.

:(

Sux values the life of cats over the lives of citizens.

:(

Patially true

But what about the study...do you think that legalizing pot would save lives?

Don't forget rendering Mexican drug cartels moot, relieving our overstrained criminal justice system, raise tax money, create jobs/industry.

Elect Ron Paul!

But what about the study...do you think that legalizing pot would save lives?

I think the exact opposite would happen. Legalizing pot means more people have access to pot meaning more people will drive stoned meaning more accidents will occur meaning more people will die.

Pot doesn't make one a safer driver, it just isn't as bad as driving drunk I guess.

It still slows down your reaction times quite a bit, and in a panic situation the average stoned driver prolly won't be able to make correct decisions on how to react to the situation fast enough.

I think the exact opposite would happen. Legalizing pot means more people have access to pot meaning more people will drive stoned meaning more accidents will occur meaning more people will die.

Pot doesn't make one a safer driver, it just isn't as bad as driving drunk I guess.

It still slows down your reaction times quite a bit, and in a panic situation the average stoned driver prolly won't be able to make correct decisions on how to react to the situation fast enough.

Yeah, but the study suggests that since more people will smoke pot, fewer will drink, and thus fewer drink and drive, so less fatalities. 9% drop is a significant amount.

Or how bout just legalizing weed because it's pretty much less harmful than caffeine, and because it makes me happy?

It also explains your Rookie of the Year stance.

It also explains your Rookie of the Year stance.

Not at all.

My choice of ROY has nothing to do with INTELLIGENCE. It has to do with OPINION. But since you probably get those two mixed up, I'll explain what cannabis does to intelligence too.

When I smoked almost daily last year, I got two As and two Bs.

Now that I moved to a different school in the southern US, my grades are straight Bs and Cs.

Is this cause and effect? It could be.

HTH.

So, you're saying alcohol should be illegal too then? :cheers:

Yeah, but the study suggests that since more people will smoke pot, fewer will drink, and thus fewer drink and drive, so less fatalities. 9% drop is a significant amount.

I could prolly find a study out there that suggests the WR QB cancel out theory is accurate. Would you believe it?

So, you're saying alcohol should be illegal too then? :cheers:

Of course not. We tried that quite a while ago. Didn't work out too well. :doublethumbsup:

You potheads have enough access to your dope. Hell, in Cali just about anyone can get a medical permit for it without any trouble at all.

Of course not. We tried that quite a while ago. Didn't work out too well. :doublethumbsup:

You potheads have enough access to your dope. Hell, in Cali just about anyone can get a medical permit for it without any trouble at all.

Then your whole argument about driving is retarded. You can't have it both ways...

Alcohol is involved in 50 percent of traffic fatalities. Make alcohol illegal and it will make it harder for people to get drunk and cause less accidents. You said it yourself.

Not to mention all of the health problems caused by excessive drinking. The only thing that costs the average US citizen more is cigarette smokers. Thanks to those morons, my health premiums are probably 50% more. Not to mention, they smell like sh!t and look like complete f'ing trailer trash. Make cigs illegal and you're instantly outlawing the one thing responsible for the most death in the USA.

:cheers:

:thumbsup:

Legalizing pot would fix so many issues.

You are a retard. I say that in a loving way.

If you want to buy pot, you can buy pot. Period. It's everywhere. It's much safer than alcohol. Both physically and from a crime perspective. You don't hear about stoner fights where people get killed, unlike drunken bar brawls or domestic abuse.

Driving stoned makes you very cautious and almost laser-focused on driving safely. Driving drunk is the opposite.

I will say I don't really smoke pot anymore. Maybe once a year and I don't like it. But compare to alcohol, pot is the much more benign way to get focked up.

Then your whole argument about driving is retarded. You can't have it both ways...

Alcohol is involved in 50 percent of traffic fatalities. Make alcohol illegal and it will make it harder for people to get drunk and cause less accidents. You said it yourself.

Not to mention all of the health problems caused by excessive drinking. The only thing that costs the average US citizen more is cigarette smokers. Thanks to those morons, my health premiums are probably 50% more. Not to mention, they smell like sh!t and look like complete f'ing trailer trash. Make cigs illegal and you're instantly outlawing the one thing responsible for the most death in the USA.

:cheers:

Smoking is the number one cause of preventable deaths in the US, but I suspect obesity costs us more. Why? Because smokers die a lot earlier than obese people, who tend to have far more than their fair share of medical problems while alive. Also it's hard to know how many deaths might be attributed to marijuana were it legal. You're probably right though; it's really pretty arbitrary that pot is illegal while those other mind and health-altering substances are not.

My whole argument about driving is that one should drive only when sober. See post# 6

How is this retarded? :wacko: