Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

For those that bashed Wade Phillips...

...as a head coach, you were justified.

But, as a defensive coordinator, he is absolutely the best in the business. Houston has the #1 defense in the NFL this year after being one of, if not the worst defense in the league last year.

The transformation isn't getting enough press. It's been astounding. Kudos to Phillips...

Best? No.

Good? Yes.

Best? No.

Good? Yes.

Who would you say is better? I don't know anyone else who could have transformed a defense from worst to first in one year. ###### LeBeau comes to mind as probably the most respected DC in the league, but I don't think he could have done it.

Vic Fangio deserves mention here and would get my vote if you're doing some kind of "most improvement in defense from a 1st year defense coordinator" contest. Doughboy knows what he's doing which helps, but he's also playing with a solid team long built on defense and with a quality offense. Fangio is doing more with less.

He's just one of those coaches that's really good at his niche and is a fish out of water when put in a more prominent role. I'd love to have Wade Phillips as the D coordinator on my team, would HATE for him to be head coach. I wouldn't be upset if Norv Turner was hired by my team as the new offensive coordinator...if he was hired as head coach, however, I'd probably cry. If Nick Saban took over my favorite college program great. Just keep him away from my favorite NFL team.

As a recovering Cowboy fan who suffered through Camp Cupcake,...this surprises me.

I'm happy for him though,...nice guy too.

Ditto.

I actually love Rob Ryan's defensive philosophy. Unfortunately he doesn't have the kind of corners needed to make it work.

...as a head coach, you were justified.

But, as a defensive coordinator, he is absolutely the best in the business. Houston has the #1 defense in the NFL this year after being one of, if not the worst defense in the league last year.

The transformation isn't getting enough press. It's been astounding. Kudos to Phillips...

wow, it couldn't have anything to do with spending nothing but pretty high first round draft picks on the defense for like 6 yrs running, right? Or a particularly soft schedule due to their weak ass division. Not having to face Peyton Manning twice and getting to face 1/2 a Chris Johnson is a nice bonus, no? I'm not saying he hasn't done a good job, and I'm pretty sure that nobody said he sucked as a DC. But beware, because the Curse of Flutie has already taken hold in Houston.

He's just one of those coaches that's really good at his niche and is a fish out of water when put in a more prominent role. I'd love to have Wade Phillips as the D coordinator on my team, would HATE for him to be head coach. I wouldn't be upset if Norv Turner was hired by my team as the new offensive coordinator...if he was hired as head coach, however, I'd probably cry. If Nick Saban took over my favorite college program great. Just keep him away from my favorite NFL team.

Turner is a GREAT example of the same principle. One of the best O-coordinators of all-time, but not a strong head coach. Solid analogy.