Sign in to follow this  
The Moz

Why would the Colts CUT Manning?

For those wanting the Colts to take Griffin III; Are you serious? I swear people have no memory sometimes. Comparing Edge to Ricky Williams is just as bad. Ricky Williams in an offense with Peyton Manning would produce just as well as James. Ricky played with some horrible QB's and behind some insanely terrible offensive lines. Let's just start throwing out crazy comparisons. I personally believe Rudy was as good as Jerry Rice.

I just thought it was an interesting article. Frankly, I think the Colts would be smart to trade out of the pick entirely and use the extra picks to draft a plausible future QB in later rounds to sit behind Manning for the next 3-5 years and also upgrade at a lot of positions where guys are getting older. Some team will be willing to mortgage tons of picks to get Luck. The NFL is about winning now and the key is the QB. Luck is still years away from being in the same class as Manning, Rodgers, Brees etc. and there is no guarantee he ever gets there. Maybe he is the next Manning. Maybe he is the next David Carr.

As far as Ricky Williams, it would not matter what system you put him in. His talent has never been in doubt, but his first love is the weed and he was such a head case coming out of college that I doubt he would have been great anywhere.

They won't cut him. They won't trade him either and they shouldn't. Seems pretty obvious they need both a healthy Peyton Manning and a quality backup (Luck). ESPN is retarded. Don't listen to or watch ESPN. I'm getting really tired of the stupid opinions on managing an NFL team by an entertainment network.

I support this post. It's all hype. I can't see Indy cutting Manning in a million focking years. At the same time... I'm not sure he will be back at all. I think there's a big chance he is done. And if he is, he will be an integral part of the Colts organization.

I just thought it was an interesting article. Frankly, I think the Colts would be smart to trade out of the pick entirely and use the extra picks to draft a plausible future QB in later rounds to sit behind Manning for the next 3-5 years and also upgrade at a lot of positions where guys are getting older. Some team will be willing to mortgage tons of picks to get Luck. The NFL is about winning now and the key is the QB. Luck is still years away from being in the same class as Manning, Rodgers, Brees etc. and there is no guarantee he ever gets there. Maybe he is the next Manning. Maybe he is the next David Carr.

As far as Ricky Williams, it would not matter what system you put him in. His talent has never been in doubt, but his first love is the weed and he was such a head case coming out of college that I doubt he would have been great anywhere.

I think you are drastically wrong on that assertion.

By all accounts, we'll hear an answer to this question next week. Sorry, Colts fans.

Maybe....Who knows, they might take it all the way to March. The media is putting way to much stuff out there and trying to disect everything both Irsay and Manning says, and trying to get anyone to say anything.

So, sorry if I'm late to the game on this, but I just read the other day that the Colts have the OPTION to pay Manning that $28 million bonus in March, and if they don't take that option then Manning becomes an unrestricted free agent.

Is that accurate?

If so, then the Colts don't have to cut Manning at all. Obviously they will want to get something for him, but if they don't pay him that bonus then he's free to go anywhere.

So, sorry if I'm late to the game on this, but I just read the other day that the Colts have the OPTION to pay Manning that $28 million bonus in March, and if they don't take that option then Manning becomes an unrestricted free agent.

Is that accurate?

If so, then the Colts don't have to cut Manning at all. Obviously they will want to get something for him, but if they don't pay him that bonus then he's free to go anywhere.

The problem is that they can't trade him before the deadline. They owe him the money before the beginning of the league year, and trades can't take place before the league year begins. So they'd end up taking a significant cap hit for a player not on their roster, which isn't going to happen.

We don't need another thread about Manning, so I will post this here.

Reports are coming out that two doctors, one being the last one to do a surgery on Manning, have medically cleared him to play. We don't know his arm strength, but his neck is officially not an issue anymore in terms of playing.

Manning is pretty much leaving everything in Irsay's hands on what he does.

I can think of 28 million reasons.

Thats what I was thinking! :thumbsup:

Interesting article (think on ESPN) that Colts really should be considering Griffin III. Would sit behind Manning until retirement but has Cam Newton potential and Cam may be the QB prototype of the future: strong pocket passer that can 'dazzle' with his legs. They are saying Griffin III throws the most accurate deep ball of any college QB and has absolute freaky speed and athleticism. Could be an Edgerin James instead of Ricky Williams move that could pay huge down the road and you take the pressure off the Manning/Luck tug of war.

Assuming Manning is 100% healthy, would make sense for the Colts to trade out of number 1 but make sure they can still nab Griffin III and add another pick or two.

Or they can trade Manning to Oakland for Oakland's next 10 years worth of draft picks.

Where have I heard this before... oh yeah, Steve McNair, Donovan McNabb, Dante Cullpepper, Akili Smith, Vince Young, Michael Vick...

We'll see. None of these "gonna revolutionize the position guys" ever did. The ones that have had much success at all did it by morphing into a pocket passer, like McNabb and McNair.

The problem is that they can't trade him before the deadline. They owe him the money before the beginning of the league year, and trades can't take place before the league year begins. So they'd end up taking a significant cap hit for a player not on their roster, which isn't going to happen.

So if they don't pay him the 28 million dollar bonus and Manning becomes a free agent, that 28 million still counts under the cap? :unsure:

What is soo stupid if Peyton is healthy and can play 3 more years at this level -- you can drastically upgrade your entire team around him. Trade down to 1.2 and get Blackmon and you still get a ton more as well as the Rams would do it just so they could trade Luck and get a kings ransom for him.

What is soo stupid if Peyton is healthy and can play 3 more years at this level -- you can drastically upgrade your entire team around him. Trade down to 1.2 and get Blackmon and you still get a ton more as well as the Rams would do it just so they could trade Luck and get a kings ransom for him.

What indications do you have that this is the case? Even if he is cleared by doctors, that does not mean that his arm strength is where it needs to be for him to play again. That is a huge risk ($28M) to take without even seeing him play.

So if they don't pay him the 28 million dollar bonus and Manning becomes a free agent, that 28 million still counts under the cap? :unsure:

Here are the various scenarios:

1. Cut Manning now, owe him nothing and get nothing for him.

2. Decide to trade Manning. This can't happen until *after* he is payed his $28 million roster bonus, which comes due before the league allows trades. That money comes from the Colts and counts towards the cap (it's split over 2 years, but it still counts).

3. Decide to keep Manning. Pay him his $28 million bonus and $10 million base. Now draft Luck and pay him ~$24 million/4 years. The Colts have a ton of other free agents they need to address as well (Saturday, Wayne just to name 2).

Option 2 is clearly a terrible idea and option 3 basically destroys your ability to build a team for the next decade.

2. Decide to trade Manning. This can't happen until *after* he is payed his $28 million roster bonus, which comes due before the league allows trades. That money comes from the Colts and counts towards the cap (it's split over 2 years, but it still counts).

3. Decide to keep Manning. Pay him his $28 million bonus and $10 million base. Now draft Luck and pay him ~$24 million/4 years. The Colts have a ton of other free agents they need to address as well (Saturday, Wayne just to name 2).

Option 2 is clearly a terrible idea and option 3 basically destroys your ability to build a team for the next decade.

Option 1 should be amended as they would like get a compensatory pick (end of 3rd round). Not much, but more than "nothing". :dunno:

The trade kills their cap even more. There's been different reports, but it sounds like Manning will count somewhere between $30-50 million against the cap for the next 3 seasons if he's traded. So that won't happen.

Option 1 should be amended as they would like get a compensatory pick (end of 3rd round). Not much, but more than "nothing". :dunno:

No they won't.

No they won't.

Right--the compensatory pick comes into play if a player leaves as a free agent. Manning would be on the roster and get cut. He *becomes* a free agent under this scenario, but the Colts wouldn't actually get the pick unless they let his contract expire, which can't happen this year.

But, long story short, the only thing that makes any sense for the Colts from a non-sentimental standpoint is cutting Manning.

No they won't.

Right. My bad. Since he is cut, there is no compensation.

What are the possibilities of Manning and the Colts pushing that date back to facilitate a trade? Irsay pays him a small amount (say, $1M) to push the date back and give him a no-trade clause without his approval. They at least would have the option of saving face and buying time.

Right. My bad. Since he is cut, there is no compensation.

What are the possibilities of Manning and the Colts pushing that date back to facilitate a trade? Irsay pays him a small amount (say, $1M) to push the date back and give him a no-trade clause without his approval. They at least would have the option of saving face and buying time.

I don't think it's going to happen. I believe Manning has suggested that he won't push the date back, and wants a decision as quickly as possible.

Also, why would Manning want his future team to give up picks/players to get Manning? Once Manning is cut, he's free to chose where he wants to play. With a great defense/loud mouth coach in New York? Nice Miami weather with a good OLine and some weapons? In Arizona with the best WR in the league? No reason to allow a trade, at least from Manning's point of view.

I would be shocked if Manning agreed to push back the $28 million. First, if someone owes me $28 million on Tuesday, you better believe I'm getting paid on Tuesday. Second, Manning is too smart to pass on the money and toss his fate other teams' doctors by choice. Finally, if/when Manning plays for another team, it's going to be a situation that he exactingly sets up--he's not going to let Irsay gut the team right before he arrives.

I bet Manning will end up agreeing to a settlement on that $28 million. He won't get paid the whole thing (a half? a third?) but instead he'll be traded to a new team with a new contract (and bonus).