Sign in to follow this  
Super Cubs

Foster agree to new deal with Texans

I don't follow the Texans a whole lot, but I would think that $18 million base salary this year would be better served paying Mario Williams. To be an entirely honest, there really doesn't seem, to me, to be a lot of difference than Foster and Tate, and Tate is super cheap. Throw in the fact that there have been plenty of RBs to put up numbers in that zone blocking scheme... See: Steve Slaton 1500 total yards 10 td in 2008, Ron Dayne @ 29 and 30 averaged 4 YPC in 2006 and 2007 :bandana: , and Domanick Williams has had multiple thousand yard seasons in the mid 2000s. Then again I guess there wasn't much difference between Williams and Connor Barwin, and rush LBs seem to be a dime a dozen as well. You'd just think someone with two multiple sack games in the first five while learning a new position would mean there is a bit of potential there. Wouldn't mind the Pats giving him a shot if the price is right.

Wouldn't mind the Pats giving him a shot if the price is right.

I'm guessing the most expensive FA in history if that's what you mean by if the price is right.

It's almost never a good idea to tie up a ton of money in a running back. Maybe Foster ends up being the exception but I think Houston made a mistake.

It's almost never a good idea to tie up a ton of money in a running back. Maybe Foster ends up being the exception but I think Houston made a mistake.

So do the Titans. :lol:

Its actually OK since those that have to play against him in FF can breathe a sigh of relief. He'll either get hurt badly by week 3 or just suck. Fine with me. :clap:

Houston has a LOT of needs, like Wrs that can stay healthy and better pass coverage. 9-7 forever.

So do the Titans. :lol:

Its actually OK since those that have to play against him in FF can breathe a sigh of relief. He'll either get hurt badly by week 3 or just suck. Fine with me. :clap:

Houston has a LOT of needs, like Wrs that can stay healthy and better pass coverage. 9-7 forever.

WRs I agree with but pass coverage not so sure. Third best passing defense in the league

is something I will take any time.

Locking up the best RB in the league for less than over the top money. I just don't see the problem here.

People have had blinders on when it comes to Foster for 2 years now. Tate is not Foster, it's not close. It amazes me that people say that. I don't know if it is a lack of actually watching the team play or just a overall lack of knowledge about football..

Mario's tag is just too high, working out a deal is still possible but, not likely. The team played fine without him.

Locking up the best RB in the league for less than over the top money. I just don't see the problem here.

People have had blinders on when it comes to Foster for 2 years now. Tate is not Foster, it's not close. It amazes me that people say that. I don't know if it is a lack of actually watching the team play or just a overall lack of knowledge about football..

Mario's tag is just too high, working out a deal is still possible but, not likely. The team played fine without him.

Is Tate 17.5 million dollars worse than Foster? He was plugged in what was essentially his rookie year, and was ridiculously productive.

The team played fine when Foster was hurt as well. I just think this money was best put elsewhere.

Is Tate 17.5 million dollars worse than Foster? He was plugged in what was essentially his rookie year, and was ridiculously productive.

The team played fine when Foster was hurt as well. I just think this money was best put elsewhere.

The Texans, who see both players everyday, disagree.

This is a bit odd to say, but Arian Foster is rapidly becoming my favorite player in the NFL. He's a guy who gets it, is educated and is well spoken. Different kind of cat...

http://www.foxsportshouston.com/03/06/12/New-deal-emotional-for-Foster/msn_landing.html?blockID=681128&feedID=3716

Foster is great and he deserves this payday, but...

...everyone is looking at that zone blocking scheme and points to the history of tremendous RB performance out of it. Hell it wasn't that long ago Steve Slaton looked like a big star in this system, never mind all those years Denver churned out 1000yd no name rushers. Why wouldn't you leverage that competitive advantage and pay your RB's less for good performance and spend the money elsewhere. Like say the young semi-stud pass rushing DE you sucked an entire season for the privledge of drafting 1st overall.

Call me jaded but I have seen this dance before, a team overpays a player after the heady success of the recent playoffs and cripples its chances of truly competing for the Superbowl in the next couple years. I hope I am wrong, because if anyone deserves some success its Foster and the Houston fans. Nothing would please me more than Houston winning a superbowl and the news of it killing Bud Adams (Titans Owner).

You have used $18 million as what they are paying Foster twice now. I think that is misleading. While that is the dollars he will receive in 2012 if he plays all 16 games, his cap hit is only $8 million in 2012. The breakout of payments vs. Cap hit is as follows:

Payments:

2012 $18,000,000

2013 $5,750,000

2014 $6,250,000

2015 $6.500,000

2016 $7,000,000

Cap Hit:

2012 $8,000,000

2013 $8,250,000

2014 $8,750,000

2015 $9,000,000

2016 $9,500,000

So Foster is really a $9 million a year player and not an $18 million a year player. They did not overpay for him. Signing Mario Williams to a minimum $15 million a year contract is overpaying for someone.