Sign in to follow this  
Recliner Pilot

Small Business Friendly Rank: Texas A+, California F

Small business is where the bulk of jobs are created. See how your state ranks on "friendliness" of opening and running a small business.

Survey: Which States Are Small-Business-Friendly?

Posted by Walter Olson

As Tad has noted, Thumbtack.com in cooperation with the excellent Kauffman Foundation of Kansas City has produced this attractive, clickable map of the 50 states displaying the results of a survey of small-business friendliness. It’s worth checking out your state’s standing, as well as that of states with which it competes for new business.

Story:

http://www.cato-at-liberty.org/survey-which-states-are-small-business-friendly/#utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Cato-at-liberty+%28Cato+at+Liberty%29&utm_content=Google+Reader

Link to map. click on your state:

http://www.thumbtack.com/survey

Small business is where the bulk of jobs are created.

Link?

Interesting map, thanks. Arizona gets a C, but if you click into the state, you see the region comprising Phoenix (conservative) gets an A, and the Tucson (liberal) an F. North Arizona gets a C, probably because it is irrelevant. :dunno:

Small businesses employ about half of U.S. workers. Of 120.6 million nonfarm private sector workers in 2007, small firms employed 59.9 million and large firms employed 60.7 million.

Link

Good for you. Does that negate his post?

Good. Now go fetch New Jobs Created and get back to us. :rolleyes:

Do you have anything on the quality of these small business jobs? Texor leads the nation in highest % of minimum wage workers, so small businesses hiring a bunch of Messican landscapers isn't that impressive.

Do you have anything on the quality of these small business jobs? Texor leads the nation in highest % of minimum wage workers, so small businesses hiring a bunch of Messican landscapers isn't that impressive.

:dunno:

Interesting map, thanks. Arizona gets a C, but if you click into the state, you see the region comprising Phoenix (conservative) gets an A, and the Tucson (liberal) an F. North Arizona gets a C, probably because it is irrelevant. :dunno:

From what I have looked at, this seems to be a trend.

This came out before Cali announced they now have a whopping $16 Billion budget deficit. I wonder if they will be downgraded to F-

You kind of proved his point, sheesh

Haha.

I didn't even click on his link. Apparently he didn't read it. :doh:

Small firms:

• Represent 99.7 percent of all employer firms.

• Employ half of all private sector employees.

• Pay 44 percent of total U.S. private payroll.

• Generated 65 percent of net new jobs over the past 17 years.

• Create more than half of the nonfarm private GDP.

• Hire 43 percent of high tech workers ( scientists, engineers, computer programmers, and others).

• Are 52 percent home-based and 2 percent franchises.

• Made up 97.5 percent of all identified exporters and produced 31 percent of export value in FY 2008.

• Produce 13 times more patents per employee than large patenting firms.

Haha.

I didn't even click on his link. Apparently he didn't read it. :doh:

Any info on the quality of these jobs or a point?

I can't wait. :cheers:

Any info on the quality of these jobs or a point?

I can't wait. :cheers:

The point was to throw out there a ranking of the states as it relates to the business climate. Since you are the only one obsessed over the quality of the jobs created I will leave that research up to you.

At least you have been educated on who creates most of the jobs in this country. Over a decade late, but at least you now know. :thumbsup:

The point was to throw out there a ranking of the states as it relates to the business climate. Since you are the only one obsessed over the quality of the jobs created I will leave that research up to you.

At least you have been educated on who creates most of the jobs in this country. Over a decade late, but at least you now know. :thumbsup:

And yet they only account for half of jobs, and the state that leads in small business growth also has the highest % of minimum wage jobs.

Interesting, thanks for the link. ;)

Thank God for Manuel's Lawn Care and Hector's Lansdscaping companies.

You PA folks shouldn't get mad at Texas for being so good, do something with your POS "C" state to improve yourselves.

Envy isn't a pretty thing. :thumbsup:

You PA folks shouldn't get mad at Texas for being so good, do something with your POS "C" state to improve yourselves.

Envy isn't a pretty thing. :thumbsup:

Anytime I feel like moving to Beaumont Texor I'll buy the Mayor's mansion and sit out by the pool while your wife and mom feed me grapes and fan me with giant leaves, Bubba. :lol:

PA gets a "C", Philly is the armpit of PA. :doh:

Some of the key findings for Philadelphia include:

Philadelphia small businesses were the third-least optimistic nationwide about their economic prospects over the coming year.

Metro Philadelphia's small businesses rank as Pennsylvania's slowest growing.

Anytime I feel like moving to Beaumont Texor I'll buy the Mayor's mansion and sit out by the pool while your wife and mom feed me grapes and fan me with giant leaves, Bubba. :lol:

You are arguing against yourself. Earlier you argued that the jobs in Texas don't pay well. Now you are arguing that you can get a nice house for cheap. If the cost of living is low, you don't need high wages to live well. HTH.

You are arguing against yourself. Earlier you argued that the jobs in Texas don't pay well. Now you are arguing that you can get a nice house for cheap. If the cost of living is low, you don't need high wages to live well. HTH.

I didn't say that jobs in Texas don't pay well, I questioned the point of this thread. If these small business jobs are mostly landscaping and close to minimum wage, who cares if there are lots of them?

I'd argue that the cost of living in Texas is low because most people don't want to live in a polluted desert full of dumb, fat rednecks and illegal immigrants. Austin is about the only liveable place in the entire state.

Not surprisingly it's the one liberal oasis, go figure. :lol:

Thank God for Manuel's Lawn Care and Hector's Lansdscaping companies.

Wouldn't that also mean that there are people here doing well enough to employ a lawn care service?

I didn't say that jobs in Texas don't pay well, I questioned the point of this thread. If these small business jobs are mostly landscaping and close to minimum wage, who cares if there are lots of them?

:wacko:

I didn't say that jobs in Texas don't pay well

Prolly shoulda stayed out of this thread altogether, Moron. :thumbsup:

:wacko:

Asking whether these news jobs are quality, living wage jobs isn't the same thing as saying they aren't. Recliner is too dumb to get that distinction. I thought you were smarter than that.

Asking whether these news jobs are quality, living wage jobs isn't the same thing as saying they aren't. Recliner is too dumb to get that distinction. I thought you were smarter than that.

Texor leads the nation in highest % of minimum wage workers, so small businesses hiring a bunch of Messican landscapers isn't that impressive

Yeah, I'm the dumb one. :rolleyes:

Keep posting, this is fun. :thumbsup:

So what you're saying is that you have no info on the quality of these jobs and they may very well be landscaping gigs or other low to minimum wage gigs? Since Texor has one of the highest poverty rates in the US.

That's OK though, you can be proud of those jobs. :lol:

I used to have a landscaper -- Oswaldo. Oswaldo's company wasn't very good, but it was cheap and I felt a certain loyalty to him and his people. Due to economic issues I had to negotiate down his price even further, and eventually get rid of him altogether. As Mungwater stated, the health of landscaping is directly tied to the economic viability of customers to retain such services.

Besides, I thought most of Texas was a barren desert shiothole. What is there to landscape?

I think you are making some wild presumptions, unless you posted some link I missed documenting the percentage of minimum-wage landscaping jobs in Texas.

Mostly though, I was pointing out that it was dumb to say what you said. :dunno:

So what you're saying is that you have no info on the quality of these jobs

Nope.

I'm saying since you are obsessed with it I will leave it up to you to research and prove your position, or continue to make wild-ass assumptions about landscapers.

I used to have a landscaper -- Oswaldo. Oswaldo's company wasn't very good, but it was cheap and I felt a certain loyalty to him and his people. Due to economic issues I had to negotiate down his price even further, and eventually get rid of him altogether. As Mungwater stated, the health of landscaping is directly tied to the economic viability of customers to retain such services.

Besides, I thought most of Texas was a barren desert shiothole. What is there to landscape?

I think you are making some wild presumptions, unless you posted some link I missed documenting the percentage of minimum-wage landscaping jobs in Texas.

Mostly though, I was pointing out that it was dumb to say what you said. :dunno:

What's dumb is to throw up these grades on small businesses, clearly using Texas vs. California as your bait to start a political pissing match, without any context whatsoever. What's even dumber is to completely fall for this type of fishing expedition and to treat Welchy Pilot like he's anything but a sad old troll.

That's pretty dumb. :cheers:

Once again the lefties ignore the subject by making incorrect inferences and attack the messenger in an attempt to change the subject. These are people who absolutely need the government to take care of them and could not survive on their own. Leave them alone they aren't very smart.

There you go man, keep as cool as you can.

Face piles

And piles

Of trials

With smiles.

It riles them to believe

that you perceive

the web they weave

And keep on thinking free.

- Graeme Edge

What's dumb is to throw up these grades on small businesses, clearly using Texas vs. California as your bait to start a political pissing match, without any context whatsoever. What's even dumber is to completely fall for this type of fishing expedition and to treat Welchy Pilot like he's anything but a sad old troll.

WTF did Jerry fall for? He went to the link, looked at his own state, and commented on it.

You are the only one trying to turn this into a political p!ssing match, and you got your ass handed to you numerous times in the process.

The study seems like a quite comprehensive analysis. Lots of good info down to the intra-state level on multiple criteria. I've looked at AZ, we've looked at PA, others have surely checked out their own state. What is the context you want? Sure, Texas vs. California is a bit of a troll, but those two states have been compared quite a bit in the news recently -- some Cali legislators have gone to Texas to learn what they do, others have abandoned Cali for Texas altogether.

I'm sorry you don't like the results. :(

These are people who absolutely need the government to take care of them and could not survive on their own.

Says the guy who's living off his wife's pension! :overhead:

I'm sorry you don't like the results. :(

Why would I care about the results? They don't mean anything. Based on the results I don't know if these are living wage jobs or how Texas stacks up against the rest of the country in overall job growth. Mostly this is trolling.

You should stick to the things I say instead of questioning my motives like a common FFT fockwit. :cheers:

Says the guy who's living off his wife's pension! :overhead:

OOps you did it again.

Once again the lefties ignore the subject by making incorrect inferences and attack the messenger in an attempt to change the subject.

Now get to work you slacker!

Why would I care about the results? They don't mean anything. Based on the results I don't know if these are living wage jobs or how Texas stacks up against the rest of the country in overall job growth. Mostly this is trolling.

You should stick to the things I say instead of questioning my motives like a common FFT fockwit. :cheers:

The map documents "small business friendliness" using a variety of criteria. You are myopically focused on "living wage jobs," and provide no substance to defend your position.

If we stuck with what you said, we can try to unravel "I'm not talking about low wages. I'm talking about low wages." :dunno: