Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

2012 No-Hassle June Mock Analysis

Just a reminder that as teams finish up their drafting in the next day or so, I will begin work on my No-Hassle analysis as always. Also, feel free to put your analysis in this thread. Overall, it's been a another very good draft and it's going to be fun to begin breaking down the teams. Again...as teams conclude their draft, I will begin my analysis in terms of how each team should/could stack up in the No-Hassle format. :)

OK, here we go...again this analysis is more about overall team strength in relation to the No-Hassle format as opposed to rating individual picks. With that in mind...

Shovelheadt:

1.01- RB Arian Foster, Hou.

2.12- QB Cam Newton, Car.

3.01- WR Greg Jennings, GB

4.12- RB Shonn Greene, NYJ

5.01- WR Vincent Jackson, TB

6.12- QB Philip Rivers, SD

7.01- WR Robert Meachem, SD

8.12- TE Jermaine Gresham, Cin.

9.01- WR Lance Moore, NO

10.12- RB Bernard Scott, Cin.

11.01- RB David Wilson, NYG

12.12- WR Mohamed Sanu, Cin.

13.01- RB Mikel Leshoure, Det.

14.12- D/ST, Pittsburgh Steelers

15.01- D/ST, Cincinnati Bengals

16.12- K Mike Nugent, Cin.

Analysis: Typically, one way to a build a team right from the start is to select an explosive set of triplets (QB, RB, WR) to form a solid scoring base. Shovel did just that with Foster, Newton, and Jennings and any team with such explosive components is going to have some big weeks. It's the "role" players, if you will, that seem to be the question marks. Both Vincent Jackson and Robert Meachem are playing for new teams and while I don't mind picking a team with one player in transition, picking two is a bit of a risk. Add to that late round selections of two rookies (Wilson, Sanu) and a guy coming off a major injury and facing a suspension by the league (LeShoure) and you have uncertainty. Also, the selection of five Bengals smacks of blatant homerism. Some won't like the pick of Rivers in the sixth, but I would say "How could anyone pass on such value?" Also thought the "safe" pick of Lance Moore was smart given all the other variables.

Key to No-Hassle success: The "big three" are going to do their thing, so I think it comes down to the fourth and fifth round picks of Shonn Greene and Vincent Jackson. Both are getting "new" opportunities to excel, so to speak, but neither inspires tremendous confidence based either on personal ability or situational circumstance. In the end, I don't know if this team's supporting cast can be propped up for 17 weeks by such an excellent trio of top picks. Also, Gresham can't get hurt because there's no one backing him up.

Favorite pick: Greg Jennings. Most of the top WRs have at least a few question marks at QB. Jennings has none. He has the best QB throwing him the ball and getting him in the third borders on absurd.

Least Favorite pick: Cincinnati D/ST. In a format in which you get no points for sacks, turnovers, or points allowed, D/ST is almost a throwaway position. Would have done better to get a backup TE.

Overall outlook: Foster, Newton, and Jennings insure that this team won't be in the bottom third of the league, but I think they'll be wildly inconsistent...netting well over 100 points some weeks and struggling other weeks as the depth and role players on the team struggle to produce week in and week out. If some gambles were to pan out, this team could be better than I think. For example, if Wilson gets a significant role in New York or if Meachem develops a rapport with Rivers. So much is unknown, though, for now and so expectations for this team are modest with the prospect for much more.

RicemanX:

1.02- RB Ray Rice, Bal.

2.11- RB Ahmad Bradshaw, NYG

3.02- WR Wes Welker, NE

4.11- WR Percy Harvin, Min.

5.02- WR Antonio Brown, Pit.

6.11- TE Jason Witten, Dal

7.02- QB Matt Ryan, Atl.

8.11- QB Ben Roethlisberger, Pit.

9.02- TE Dustin Keller, NYJ

10.11- RB Felix Jones, Dal.

11.02- WR Laurent Robinson Jac.

12.11- RB Delone Carter, Ind.

13.02- WR Danny Amendola, Stl.

14.11- D/ST, Baltimore Ravens

15.02- WR Mario Manningham, SF

16.11- K Garrett Hartley, NO

Analysis: This is pretty well balanced team as Rice chose to ignore the QB position for six rounds and stockpile RBs, WRs, and a steady veteran TE instead. The result is a team with less explosiveness than Shovel's team, but possibly more consistency in terms of week-in, week-out scoring. Matt Ryan is probably being undervalued as Roddy White and Julio Jones cannot meet their personal projections without Ryan's projections being raised. Welker and Harvin are both currently unhappy with their contracts, so those selections come with some risk initially, but both situations will likely be smoothed out by August. Like I stated before, this team isn't flashy, but they're going to be in the mix, I think, all year long...never too far from the leaders. It's a luxury nowadays to have an old-school, bellcow of a running back to hang your hat on, and since Ray Rice fits that bill, Riceman has a leg up in that regard.

Key to No-Hassle Success: I think you know what you're getting with guys like Rice, Bradshaw, Ryan, and Witten...but I wonder what will become of Wes Welker's role in New England with the changes there and if Percy Harvin can function without drama on a fairly poor Minnesota team. Even though Riceman grabbed six WRs ultimately, if Welker and Harvin disappoint, there's not much to fall back on at the position in terms of proven reliability. If Welker and Harvin shine, however, there's enough scoring around them to create a No-Hassle title contender.

Favorite pick: Matt Ryan. For reasons noted above. These won't be your older brother's Falcons...they're going to throw more and throw deep down the field. In the end, Ryan's stats should put him amongst the elite in terms of fantasy production to my way of thinking.

Least Favorite pick: Dustin Keller. Keller tends to start out each year with 2-3 good games and then fall off the face of the earth. With Witten already onboard, it was too soon to reach for such an inconsistent TE. WR depth could have used a boost instead.

Overall outlook: I'm impressed by this team. I don't think they'll lead the league in scoring on any single week this year, but could score between 90-100 points a week a dozen time or so, which keeps you in the thick of things overall. There is a balance to this team that resembles many other successful No-Hassle teams from the past and the overall approach to team consruction seems sound. Do I expect this team to win the league? No. Do I expect them to finish in the top six? Absolutely. Good solid effort, especially for a No-Hassle rookie.

Fumbleweed:

1.03- RB LeSean McCoy, Phi.

2.10- QB Drew Brees, NO

3.03- WR Larry Fitzgerald, Ari.

4.10- RB Doug Martin, TB

5.03- WR Demaryius Thomas, Den.

6.10- RB Willis McGahee, Den.

7.03- WR Kenny Britt, Ten.

8.10- WR Malcom Floyd, SD

9.03- TE Fred Davis, Was.

10.10- RB LeGarrette Blount, TB

11.03- QB Carson Palmer, Oak.

12.10- TE Brent Celek, Phi.

13.03- WR Austin Collie, Ind.

14.10- RB Rashard Mendenhall, Pit.

15.03- K Mason Crosby, GB

16.10- D/ST, Buffalo Bills

Analysis: Another "triplet" team built upon three stars from three different positions. I tried to put together a nice blend of youth and experience after that with youth springing forth from guys like Doug Martin and Demaryius Thomas and experience coming from the Willis McGahees, Malcom Floyds, and Carson Palmers of the world. The big wild card in the middle of all of this is Kenny Britt as he has the potential to explode or flop depending upon the status of his recovery from injury come August. Overall, I think this team is the right mix of guys to compete for a No-Hassle championship, but of course I would think that- after all, it's my team. I will say this: Drafting from the three spot was far less work this year than drafting from late in this draft. Getting to build off of McCoy is far more desireable than trying to build off of a top QB or WR. I am comfortable with this team and cautiously optimistic going in.

Key to No-Hassle success: It would be easy to cite Britt again here, but I'm going to go with Fitzgerald oddly enough. Fitzgerald is easily the second best WR in the league right now behind Calvin Johnson, but Arizona must find a QB who can get him the ball consistently. If Fitzgerald is a top-five WR this year fantasy-wise, this team should excel. If not (and that's a distinct possibility), this team may fall just short of expectations. There are enough safeguards built in at RB to keep that position consistent, so it's about the WRs here.

Favorite pick: Drew Brees. Not sure why he fell so far, but I was thrilled to get him, McCoy, and Fitz on the same team. I would put that threesome up against anyone and Brees was the guy I was most excited about acquiring.

Least Favorite pick: No real regrets, but the pick of Austin Collie never really got me very excited. Who knows how involved he will or won't be. I hope I didn't waste a pick there.

Overall outlook: I'm pretty excited about the construction of this team. I have gotten turned around and outright lost in this draft more than once, so to have a team I feel this good about after the draft is refreshing. Anything can happen, but I would expect to contend unless my wide receivers don't live up to their capabilities. Tight end isn't a position of real strength, either, and that could put more pressure on Brees and McCoy to match last year's numbers or at least get close to them.

Dan:

1.04- RB Ryan Mathews, SD

2.09- WR Roddy White, Atl.

3.04- WR Victor Cruz, NYG

4.09- RB Roy Helu, Was.

5.04- QB Peyton Manning, Den.

6.09- WR Eric Decker, Den.

7.04- TE Brandon Pettigrew, Det.

8.09- RB Daniel Thomas, Mia.

9.04- WR Greg Little, Cle.

10.09- WR Brian Quick, Stl.

11.04- K Stephen Gostkowski, NE

12.09- TE Heath Miller, Pit.

13.04- QB Matt Flynn, Sea.

14.09- QB Tim Tebow, NYJ

15.04- D/ST, Green Bay Packers

16.09- RB Anthony Allen, Bal.

Analysis: Upon initial inspection, there's a lot to like about this team: stud RB, two dynamic WRs, and a Hall of Fame QB to boot. My primary concern, though, is the depth at the RB position where Daniel Thomas and Anthony Allen are the only thing Dan has behind Mathews and Helu, who I believe to be a largely unproven commodity at this point. Manning certainly comes with some risk also and Flynn is no sure thing backing him up. In the end, it is probably the WRs that make up the strength of this team and Dan has to hope that two guys on very bad teams (Little, Quick) mature quickly into being productive receivers. Injuries would flat-out bring this team to its knees as there's too many suspect pieces beyond the initial starting eight, which is solid. After a safe, solid start to this draft, I thought Dan veered off the road a little bit into some strange and suspect territory.

Key to No-Hassle success: Certainly, Manning could be a brilliant pick if he returns to top five status with his new team. I think getting something from guys like Little, Quick, Thomas, and Allen, though is the key for this team to be successful. If they don't step up (and none of them have proven that they will or can yet), it places enormous pressure on guys like Mathews, White, and Cruz to bring it every single week. Helu must also seize the starting job in Washington and make a dent via that progression. So, the key to No-Hassle success is a bunch of picks building on what is currently just potential.

Favorite pick: Eric Decker. Seems like a pretty good fit for what Manning will be trying to do with the passing game. As a #3 WR, it looks like an ideal fit. I think the chemistry that will exist amongst Dan's primary three WRs will be excellent from a week-in, week out scoring perspective.

Least Favorite pick: Roy Helu. I thought he was a reach in the fourth round. Can anybody really trust what Shanahan is going to do from week to week at that position? After Mathews, Dan has really serious question marks at RB.

Overall outlook: This isn't one of my favorite teams, but there's no question that if Dan can get more hits than misses out of his higher risk picks, the squad could be really good. With the exception of Helu, it's hard to fault what he did in the early rounds- I would just feel more comfortable with this team in a traditional format than the No-Hassle's best ball scoring system. It will be very interesting to follow this team and track their development. They could be significantly better during the second half of the season than they are during the first half.

Ray Lewis' Limo Driver:

1.05- WR Calvin Johnson, Det.

2.08- RB Jamaal Charles, KC

3.05- WR Andre Johnson, Hou.

4.08- QB Michael Vick, Phi.

5.05- RB Isaac Redman, Pit.

6.08- RB Reggie Bush, Mia

7.05- TE Jacob Tamme, Den

8.08- WR Anquan Boldin, Bal.

9.05- RB Mark Ingram, NO

10.08- D/ST, San Francisco

11.05- QB Andy Dalton, Cin.

12.08- WR Brandon LaFell, Car.

13.05- RB Kevin Smith, Det.

14.08- K Jason Hanson, Det.

15.05- WR Santana Moss, Was.

16.08- RB Robert Turbin, Sea.

Analysis: This team has explosiveness written all over it with guys like Michael Vick, Jamaal Charels, Calvin Johnson, and Andre Johnson headlining a lineup of players plum full of pop. I love the way Ray swung for the fences early with picks like Charles, Vick, Redman, and Bush and then went conservative with the depth picks of Boldin and Moss. There appear to be so many scoring options on this team that it would surprise me if this team doesn't lead several weeks in total points scored. The only questionable decisions were decisions that Ray makes year after year: One, grabbing a defense early in a scoring system that places no value on the position whatsoever, and, Two, only selecting one tight end. If Tamme were to get hurt, Ray would get a big fat zero every week at that position and in a league as hotly contested as this one, those points could come in pretty handy. Overall, though, I think this team is stacked.

Key to No-Hasssle success: With so much proven talent on the roster, the key is probably Jamaal Charles. Nobody knows how well he'll play coming off a major knee operation and no one knows how much Hillis will cut into his overall production. Ray is going to scores bunches of points from the QB and WR positions, but Charles is a guy he's depending on at RB to return to form. If he does, the sky is probably the limit for this team. If he doesn't, Redman and Bush will have to step up big time...so, Charles is the guy to watch here.

Favorite pick: First four. I don't know how you improve on that. Found myself envious of Ray's team through four rounds and I like my team just fine. I thought he got everybody in the first four rounds at an ideal spot and if I had to pick my favorite of the four, I guess it would be Andre Johnson. Love the Vick pick, though, as well.

Least Favorite pick: Besides the obvious early selection of a D/ST, I'm not high on Kevin Smith. I think he's just in Detroit for insurance purposes and I'm not sure he'll do much to help Ray's team out.

Overall outlook: No-Hassle title contender. I see no way around it. This team has the look and feel of a team that will contend from the opening bell. From my perspective, it is well constructed and represents everything you want coming into a No-Hassle league season. In reality, though, the first four guys picking ahead of Ray all have much more reliable #1 RBs than Ray does and if anything proves to be a negative separation between this team and theirs, that would be it.

Remote Controller:

1.06- QB Aaron Rodgers, GB

2.07- RB Fred Jackson, Buf.

3.06- WR Brandon Marshall, Chi.

4.07- WR Steve Smith, Car.

5.06- RB Beanie Wells, Ari.

6.07- TE Jermichael Finley, GB

7.06- RB James Starks, GB

8.07- RB Peyton Hillis, KC

9.06- WR Mike Williams, TB

10.07- TE Tony Gonzalez, Atl.

11.06- QB Ryan Fitzpatrick, Buf.

12.07- WR Michael Floyd, Ari.

13.06- RB Shane Vereen, NE

14.07- K Sebastian Janikowski, Oak.

15.06- D/ST, Chicago Bears

16.07- WR Randall Cobb, GB

Analysis: This team is an example of what happens when you spend a very early pick on a QB. Rodgers is the very best that position has to offer, but in return, remote doesn't have a RB or WR that ranks in my personal top twelve. That's not because he did anything wrong- it's just the price to pay for acquiring Rodgers this year. What this team does have is great depth, particularly at the RB position where four guys are their team's #1 option at the position on Sundays. Tight end is also a position of depth and strength with both Finley and Gonzalez in the fold. All in all, though, this team is going to rely on Aaron Rodgers being every bit of what he was the past two or three seasons. The RBs and WRs are solid, but not in the same class of some of the other teams previously noted. Like I stated earlier, there's plenty to like about this team, but it's fate was sealed in the first round for better or worse with the selection of Rodgers.

Key to No-Hassle success: Two things come to mind. First, remote needs his RBs to out-perform the guys that are chomping at the bit to take their jobs. By that, I mean Fred Jackson (Spiller looking over his shoulder), Beanie Wells (Ryan Williams doing the same), and James Starks (could join forces with several other backs). If all three guys become 50/50 split ballcarriers, remote doesn't have enough firepower to compete. Second, he'll need Brandon Marshall to pick up with Jay Cutler right where they left off in Denver. None of these occurences is a sure thing.

Favorite pick: Steve Smith. No one expects Smith to duplicate last year's numbers necessarily, but he's a dangerous threat still and when the matchup is right, he can still put up monster numbers. He was a tremendous value, I felt, in the later stages of the fourth round.

Least Favorite pick: I thought Fred Jackson and Brandon Marshall were taken a round early each, but like both guys. A guy I won't be picking is Beanie Wells given his history and the team he plays for; as such, Wells, even though he went about where he should have gone, was probably my least favorite selection.

Overall outlook: As I noted above, I think Jackson and Marshall were both a bit early for my taste and as such, the skill level of this team is a little off. It looks too much like Aaron Rodgers and his merry men for me at initial glance, but the infusion of youth drafted late may swing things upward as the season wears on. There is something to be said for having Rodgers, though. It's an almost automatic 25-30 points every week and that's something the other scorers on this team can build on. I see this team as middle of the pack at best, but the potential for greater success is evident.

JScott:

1.07- RB Chris Johnson, Ten.

2.06- RB Matt Forte, Chi.

3.07- RB Steven Jackson, Stl.

4.06- WR Marques Colston, Nos.

5.07- WR Jeremy Maclin, Phi.

6.06- WR Stevie Johnson, Buf.

7.07- TE Aaron Hernandez, NE

8.06- RB Jahvid Best, Det.

9.07- WR Sidney Rice, Sea.

10.06- QB Matt Schaub, Hou.

11.07- QB Josh Freeman, TB

12.06- TE Coby Fleener, Ind.

13.07- WR Brian Hartline, Mia.

14.06- K David Akers, SF

15.07- RB Isaiah Pead, Stl.

16.06- D/ST, New England Patriots

Analysis: What stands out with this team right off the bat is the selection of three running backs during the first three rounds. Not an unheard of strategy certainly, but also not something you see every day. What JScott gains from that is a trio of RBs who should gel together in such a way that consistent, even explosive scoring comes from the RB position week in and week out. What is lost is having a reliable QB to depend on and/or a true stud receiver. If Sidney Rice can get healthy, the receiving corps will be deep enough to produce solid numbers certainly, so I think he's got that covered. Can the combo of Schaub and Freeman, however, give this team enough from the QB spot? Dunno. I think that will be the question moving forward as everything else looks pretty solid to me. And, if Chris Johnson rebounds from a disapppointing 2011, this team may have the best rushing attack, if you will, in the whole No-Hassle league. That's definitely within the realm of distinct possibility going in.

Key to No-Hassle success: Matt Forte. No one knows how Forte will be used with Michael Bush now a Bear, but if Forte's role becomes the same as in past years, JScott will have really gotten a steal. If, however, Forte enters into some sort of timeshare and gets pulled at the goal line, it really takes some pop out of this team/lineup. Also, the back-to-back picks of Best and Rice were high risk/high reward by anyone's definition. If JScott were to hit on both guys, it could really propel this team forward.

Favorite pick: Aaron Hernandez at 7.07 just seemed like a huge steal. I liked a number of the picks made by JScott, but that one really stands out. I am certain he was pleased to see the talented Patriots TE still sitting there at such an ideal spot.

Least Favorite pick: Probably Sidney Rice given that he's no guarantee to ever return to anything close to the form he showed early on in Minnesota. Also not a big fan of starting out a season with Schaub and Freeman as my QBs. That's more of a commentary on overall drafting strategy, though, as opposed to looking at an individual pick.

Overall outlook: Despite the criticisms noted above, I actually think this team is going to fare very well in the No-Hassle format. The running game could easily net between 35-40 points a week with the number of carries Johnson, Forte, and Jackson are likely to get (possibly 900 carries combined). I also think there is a positive mix of WRs here even with no real stud to lean on. If Schaub and Freeman can just give this team something solid more weeks than not, this could be a title contending team. It will be fun to see throughout the year if the three-headed monster at RB strategy reaps benefits.

Robb:

1.08- RB Darren McFadden, Oak.

2.05- QB Matthew Stafford, Det.

3.08- WR Mike Wallace, Pit.

4.05- RB Darren Sproles, Nos.

5.08- WR Dwayne Bowe, KC

6.05- WR Torrey Smith, Bal.

7.08- RB Donald Brown, Ind.

8.05- QB Jay Cutler, Chi.

9.08- WR Michael Crabtree, SF

10.05- RB C.J. Spiller, Buf.

11.08- WR Doug Baldwin, Sea.

12.05- TE Greg Olsen, Car.

13.08- RB Jacquizz Rodgers, Atl.

14.05- TE Martellus Bennett, NYG

15.08- D/ST, Houston Texans

16.05- K Matt Bryant, Atl.

Analysis: Robb did the same exact thing I did with his first three picks, that is he went RB-QB-WR. Problem is, he was picking eighth and as a result got Stafford-McFadden-Wallace as opposed to Brees-McCoy-Fitzgerald. What does that say? To me, it says that the #8 spot may not be where you want to be picking this year as the talent tiers seem to fall off right before you come up to bat in those early rounds. Beyond that, I see a lot of my team in what Robb has assmebled with possibly a little less talent due only to his draft position. The later picks also lack a little punch simply because guys like Brown, Crabtree, Spiller, and Rodgers haven't proven themselves yet to be more than occasional producers. What's good about this team is a very strong QB duo that will rack up No-Hassle points and a potential stud at RB in McFadden. That's certainly a foundation that can be built upon.

Key to No-Hassle success: Biggest no-brainer of them all. It's McFadden and it's not close. On a team void of superstars, McFadden stands out as the most dynamic scoring threat. Problem is, he's never made it through a full season. If that trend continues, I'm not sure there's enough firepower on this team to compete with the other teams in the league. The good news is that Matthew Stafford shed the fragile label last year proving it can be done. If both he and McFadden do stay healthy this year, this team could be pretty good. That and if Wallace and Bowe can get happy with their current teams...

Favorite pick: The back-to-back picks of Spiller and Baldwin were pretty good from my standpoint. Both could have outstanding seasons if the pieces fall into place. I thought the potential of this team really improved with those picks.

Least Favorite pick: Thought Torrey Smith went way too early. He's a risky pick given how often he disappeared from the stat lines last year. I thought there were some more reliable options at the point he was taken...some good tight ends, too.

Overall outlook: This team appears to be a step below the more elite teams drafted, but all that could change in a heartbeat if McFadden, Wallace, and Bowe perform as they are capable of doing. This team may be the most capable of great things while at the same time capable of total collapse. The strategy by which this team was formed was seemingly a sound one short of grabbing a better tight end. As such, Robb's bunch is a contender to be sure, but some things definitely need to fall into place.

Matt's Eagles:

1.09- RB Maurice Jones-Drew, Jax.

2.04- TE Jimmy Graham, NO

3.09- WR A.J. Green, Cin.

4.04- RB Frank Gore, SF

5.09- WR DeSean Jackson, Phi.

6.04- RB Jonathan Stewart, Car.

7.09- WR Pierre Garcon, Was.

8.04- QB Robert Griffen III, Was.

9.09- WR Titus Young, Det.

10.04- RB Ryan Williams, Ari.

11.09- WR Jonathan Baldwin, KC

12.04- QB Sam Bradford, Stl.

13.09- TE Owen Daniels, Hou.

14.04- D/ST, Philadelphia Eagles

15.09- K Alex Henery, Phi.

16.04- RB LaMichael James, SF

Analysis: Wow...this team turned out to be a really interesting mix of trusted veterans and young up and coming fantasy superstars. Certainly, Maurice Jones-Drew, Frank Gore, and DeSean Jackson represent the former while Jimmy Graham, A.J. Green, Robert Griffen III, Titus Young, and Ryan Williams help to comprise the latter. In the No-Hassle format, this is a nice way to package your team as budding superstars tend to have more explosive performances while proven vets tend to be more consistent in their production. Much like JScott, Matt waited a long time on the QB position and then pulled the trigger on a rookie as his starter...that's nothing short of gutsy to be sure. But, the overall talent level of the remainder of the roster is high and gives this team a chance to be special if the younger players noted previously take the next (or first) step in their development. I will enjoy watching this team over the course of the No-Hassle season.

Key to No-Hassle success: I think the first few picks are almost sure things from a production standpoint, so I'll point back to Griffen and WR Pierre Garcon as being a key to ultimate success. Even if both fail to meet basic expectations, this team will probably be good enough to contend. If they find what Cam Newton and Steve Smith found last year in Carolina, this team could be a championship squad. It would also be nice if DeSean Jackson could get back to what he used to be a few years ago, but that's not a make it or break it thing for this team.

Favorite pick: A.J. Green and Frank Gore. Got 'em both later than they should have gone and I felt those two selections really set this team apart. If Green and Gore had gone late second/early third, I would have thought nothing of it. Gore is due for another solid, consistent season. Green is set to explode. Terrific combo.

Least Favorite pick: Titus Young/Jonathan Baldwin. Hard to criticize someone for drafting young talent with upside, but neither guy has enough experience to warrant picking them quite so high from my perspective. Nit-picking a bit here, though, and I realize that.

Overall outlook: I really, really like this team and its prospects. I know Griffen is a huge if at QB, but I get the feeling he will have a fairly dynamic rookie season fantasy-wise. I just think you've got some real playmakers on this team and I thought many of the early picks beginning with MJD at 1.09 were big-time value selections. Barring injuries, I can see this team in the top three at season's end. There are scenarios unfolding that would change that, certainly, but I would be optimistic for now.

Vikings4Ever:

1.10- RB Marshawn Lynch, Sea.

2.03- RB DeMarco Murray, Dal.

3.10- WR Julio Jones, Atl.

4.03- WR Jordy Nelson, GB

5.10- TE Vernon Davis, SF

6.03- QB Tony Romo, Dal.

7.10- WR Denarius Moore, Oak.

8.03- RB Michael Bush, Chi.

9.10- RB Stevan Ridley, NE

10.03- WR Randy Moss, SF

11.10- QB Joe Flacco, BAL

12.03- WR Nate Washington, TEN

13.10- TE Kyle Rudolph, Min.

14.03- RB Rashad Jennings, Jax.

15.10- K Matt Prater, Den.

16.03- D/ST, New York Jets

Analysis: From my perspective, you couldn't have done much better than this from the ten spot. Vikes gambled at QB, but made it work by getting Tony Romo in the sixth round. That late addition allowed him to grab two top ten RBs, a couple of in-their-prime, high upside WRs and a tight end that can explode if and when his QB gets him the ball. From that point on, it was all about grabbing depth with upside as all of Vike's picks have a shot to really contribute, as least sporadically, in the No-Hassle format. There really isn't much holding this team back with no position really being neglected all that much. I am not convinced that Randy Moss will ultimately be worth being selected with any pick, but Nate Washington should be a safe guy to get by when the "starting" WRs are on bye. Pretty mistake-free draft from my perspective, particularly when factoring in the best ball format.

Key to No-Hassle success: Just staying healthy. I think the first six picks are near locks to give you exactly what you need and expect, so they just need to stay on the field to make this engine run. There's a pretty steep drop-off in talent between those guys and the backups, as is the case with many teams certainly. As a past Vernon Davis owner, I can tell you that having him on your team can be the most frustrating thing in the world. They don't feed him the ball enough and certainly the 49ers figuring that out for good would make this team even better. We shall see.

Favorite pick: Romo. I really thought a few guys in this draft were waiting a bit long to grab a QB, but Vikes timed it perfectly, it would seem. Grabbing a QB early from the 10 spot can really be a team-killer if you're not careful and V4E avoided that whole dilemma. Great pick.

Least Favorite pick: Randy Moss. Nothing personal. I just think wowing people in practice and doing it on the field are two different things and we're several years removed from a productive season from Mr. Moss.

Overall outlook: I would be pleased with this team if it were mine. RB-RB is almost always the way to go when drafting towards the end of the first round and Vikes didn't stray from that at all here. Like I said, there isn't the depth on this team that some others have, so it's a team that desperately needs to stay healthy in order to thrive. Vikes is nearly always a contender in the No-Hassle league, but has also picked many a team from an early draft position. It will be interesting to see if his adjustment to drafting late pays off as well as it typically does from other spots.

ICEMAN:

1.11- QB Tom Brady, NEP

2.02- TE Rob Gronkowski, NEP

3.11- RB Michael Turner, Atl.

4.02- WR Miles Austin, Dal.

5.11- RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Cin.

6.02- WR Brandon Lloyd, NEP

7.11- WR Santonio Holmes, NYJ

8.02- RB Ben Tate, Hou.

9.11- RB Pierre Thomas, NO

10.02- TE Jared Cook, Ten.

11.11- WR Justin Blackmon, JAC

12.02- QB Matt Cassel, KC

13.11- RB Tim Hightower, Was.

14.02- WR James Jones, GB

15.11- K Dan Bailey, Dal.

16.02- D/ST, New York Giants

Analysis: ICE will not be the only person this summer to use his first two picks on the combo of Tom Brady and Rob Gronkowski. There's nothing at all bad about doing so as you are getting arguably the best 1-2 punch in fantasy football right off the bat on your team. But, what does not drafting a RB or WR until 3.11 get you in terms of an overall roster? The answer to that is subpar personnel in comparison to all the other teams in the No-Hassle league. Michael Turner and Miles Austin as your #1 RB and WR may not be enough to help you win a title even with Brady and Gronk in the fold. Also, if we're going to accuse shovel of homerism, ICE has to be mentioned in the same breath with three Patriots and two former Patriots on the roster. What is worth applauding here is that ICE went away from the conventional in this draft and formed a fairly unique sort of team. Seeing how this bunch stacks up given their extreme strengths and weaknesses should be a lot of fun.

Key to No-Hassle success: In order for this team to be in the top five, I think Michael Turner has to have one more highly productive season. There's little doubt that the tread on Turner's tires is starting to wear thin and as such, his selection as lead back for this team was a risky one. Also, the WRs have to really step it up in terms of meeting or even exceeding expectations. It's not a super strong group, but Lloyd has some upside as does Justin Blackmon. One of those two probably needs to go well above average projections to give ICE some juice in the middle of his lineup.

Favorite pick: Lloyd. Not so much because it was a value pick, but because ICE needed a WR with some upside to get the middle of his lineup jump-started. He's pinned a great deal of success on the Patriots passing attack, but I guess if you're going to bank on one thing like that, it needs to be something dynamic. That's exactly what Brady/Gronkowski/Lloyd are likely to be.

Least Favorite pick: Gronkowski. Not that he's not great...because he is. The pick just left this team behind the 8-ball in terms of filling out the roster with RBs and WRs.

Overall outlook: As I said before, you've got to give ICE credit for doing things in such an unconventional fashion. But, I think he's going to struggle to compete in the league for a title with such mediocre talent being forced into significant roles. On the weeks in which Brady throws for 400+ yards and 3-4 TDs, chances are he'll score well as Gronk and Lloyd will also benefit from that. But, on the weeks where Brady goes for 240 yards and 1-2 TDs, it could be rough. Can anybody else step up and give this team a lift? That's the million dollar question going in this year.

White Wonder:

1.12- RB Trent Richardson, Cle.

2.01- RB Adrian Peterson, Min.

3.12- WR Dez Bryant, Dal.

4.01- WR Hakeem Nicks, NYG

5.12- TE Antonio Gates, SD

6.01- QB Eli Manning, NYG

7.12- WR Darrius Heyward-Bey, Oak.

8.01- WR Reggie Wayne, Ind.

9.12- RB Toby Gerhart, Min.

10.01- RB DeAngelo Williams, Car.

11.12- RB Ronnie Hillman, Den.

12.01- QB Andrew Luck, Ind.

13.12- WR Chad Ochocinco, Mia.

14.01- TE Lance Kendricks, Stl.

15.12- K Rob Bironas, Ten.

16.01- D/ST, Arizona Cardinals

Analysis: Ah, the ultimate go-for-broke draft with two injured players, one rookie, and one mystery case all rolled together into the first four picks. When healthy, Peterson and Nicks make an incredible 1-2 punch, so if their health turns out to be o.k. come September, WW has really pulled something off here. I am not a fan of drafting a rookie RB on a bad team this early, but clearly many feel that the selection is justfied based on Richardson's overwhelming individual talent. I also feel that this team was comprised of some very safe, solid mid-round selections that help to temper the uncertainty of the first four picks just a bit. Guys like Wayne and DeAngelo Williams fit that description a little and guys like Eli Manning and Antonio Gates fit that description a lot. This team will either be great and a title contender or implode royally. I think the former, however, has the better chance of happening.

Key to No-Hassle success: Peterson and Nicks. They would have been mid-first and mid-second round picks in a normal year and if they can produce just 80% of their normal "healthy" numbers, WW has a very good scoring based to build around. Richardson is the obvious second choice as this is the most stock I've seen placed in a rookie RB since Edgerrin James over a decade ago. Richardson will get the carries, so he's not going to bust at least. In the end, it's Peterson and Nicks that no one is sure about.

Favorite pick: Hakeem Nicks and Antonio Gates. I don't care that Nicks has a minor injury...he should have been taken sooner than this. As for Gates, who else is Rivers going to throw to? Just loved the 4th, 5th, and 6th round picks for this team. Those three really boosted the contender status from my perspective.

Least Favorite pick: Richardson for reasons previously stated. I get it, but it's not something I would have ever done.

Overall outlook: After the first two picks, I didn't like this team all that much, but they really grew on me as the draft wore on. After the initial shock from the Richardson pick, I really liked almost everything WW did from that point forward with the exception of wasting a late pick on Chad Ochocinco. I think that more than likely this team is going to be very good...like top four in the league kind of good. There is elite, dynamic talent on the roster from top to bottom and I think that will all come together in a big way come the fall. Drafting from the 12 hole isn't always easy, but WW seemingly made it work...for now.

Analysis: This is pretty well balanced team as Rice chose to ignore the QB position for six rounds and stockpile RBs, WRs, and a steady veteran TE instead. The result is a team with less explosiveness than Shovel's team, but possibly more consistency in terms of week-in, week-out scoring. Matt Ryan is probably being undervalued as Roddy White and Julio Jones cannot meet their personal projections without Ryan's projections being raised. Welker and Harvin are both currently unhappy with their contracts, so those selections come with some risk initially, but both situations will likely be smoothed out by August. Like I stated before, this team isn't flashy, but they're going to be in the mix, I think, all year long...never too far from the leaders. It's a luxury nowadays to have an old-school, bellcow of a running back to hang your hat on, and since Ray Rice fits that bill, Riceman has a leg up in that regard.

Key to No-Hassle Success: I think you know what you're getting with guys like Rice, Bradshaw, Ryan, and Witten...but I wonder what will become of Wes Welker's role in New England with the changes there and if Percy Harvin can function without drama on a fairly poor Minnesota team. Even though Riceman grabbed six WRs ultimately, if Welker and Harvin disappoint, there's not much to fall back on at the position in terms of proven reliability. If Welker and Harvin shine, however, there's enough scoring around them to create a No-Hassle title contender.

Favorite pick: Matt Ryan. For reasons noted above. These won't be your older brother's Falcons...they're going to throw more and throw deep down the field. In the end, Ryan's stats should put him amongst the elite in terms of fantasy production to my way of thinking.

Least Favorite pick: Dustin Keller. Keller tends to start out each year with 2-3 good games and then fall off the face of the earth. With Witten already onboard, it was too soon to reach for such an inconsistent TE. WR depth could have used a boost instead.

Overall outlook: I'm impressed by this team. I don't think they'll lead the league in scoring on any single week this year, but could score between 90-100 points a week a dozen time or so, which keeps you in the thick of things overall. There is a balance to this team that resembles many other successful No-Hassle teams from the past and the overall approach to team consruction seems sound. Do I expect this team to win the league? No. Do I expect them to finish in the top six? Absolutely. Good solid effort, especially for a No-Hassle rookie.

Thank you for the analysis. You pretty much have my drafting strategy figured out pretty well. I want consistent points at every starting position.

I like my Witten pick, I like my Matt Ryan pick.

I agree that the Dustin Keller pick should have been replaced by some wide receiver. I am higher on Harvin and Antonio Brown than others, but I can definitely see how they can bust.

I appreciate this mock draft, it taught me to look closer at my WR 2-3 picks and also work on my round 8-14 picks better to make sure i have solid RB and WR backups.

My draft strategy

maybe no one cares but maybe someone will find it useful if drafting from the 12 hole or the back end in general.

I find it a tough place to be this year. In previous seasons I have enjoyed it but 2012 seems to be a different beast likely due to the changing landscape of RB's and the immense WR depth.

Based on the No hassle format, I wanted to pay particular attention to spreading out my bye weeks and to backing up every position except kicker and defense. Unlike a head to head format where you can afford to punt a week and be at full strength for the others, doing so in this format could put you too far behind the scoring leaders. With 3 flexible draft positions, i felt like it made sense to go RB-WR-TE with them. I obviously wanted to use my last two picks on kicker and defense. Drafting at the back end is nice for taking your kicker as you pick before that last round kicker run. You won't get an Akers or Janikowski but I got a guy I always like (who i think is undervalued for a kicker) in rob Bironas. for defense, just draft a good kick returner and an athletic secondary.

With the depth at WR I wanted to wait on that position, as well as QB due to scoring. Some might go for one of the stud TE's early but I wanted to make sure I had 2 high upside RB's and I think I achieved that. Grabbing Gerhart later made the selection of Peterson much nice in my opinion. I am usually not a handcuff guy. My feeling is that your using a high pick on a guy because you have faith in him, otherwise you shouldnt be drafting him. So to use even a mid round pick on a handcuff is a waste in my personal opinion. but the no hassle format is different. You don't get the option to pick up a replacement player off waivers if something goes wrong. So in this case, owning a "team RB" so to speak, can be a good idea.

As I expected, there were plenty of good WR's available at the 3/4 turn. And I may have even gone QB sooner than I could have but locking down Eli makes me feel comfortable. Gates was a shock to me where I got him.

The only thing that doesn't sit well with me after completing this mock is my lack of a RB3 that I am excited about. My RB3 is DeAngelo Williams who I expect will get touches because of the investment in him, but that situation is just bleh. My WR3 and WR4 are a great combo of youth and potential versus experience and reliability.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Im too lazy to analyze every team so I will simply offer some tidbits.

My top 3 teams

JScott - a lot of great value as well as players I like in this format. Hernandez in the 7th was robbery, CJ is good value at 7. Every position looks solid to me. Great use of the QB late strategy.

Viking4Ever - built almost as a mirror image to my team. RB/RB WR/WR TE/QB. RB2 w/ injury concerns, high upside Oakland WR as his WR3. Eerily similar.

Fumbleweed - An excellent first 3 picks. Better than anyone, imo. Pretty solid depth and Kenny Britt could be a steal in the 7th.

My bottom 3 teams

really everyone did a pretty good job but my 3 least favorite are

RLLD - Those first four picks have explosion written all over them but all the "falling talent" has major ?'s. Only 1 TE and having it be Tamme is perplexing and ofcourse, the infamous d/st in the 10th.

Iceman - Again not a bad team I just think this is what can happen when you go QB/TE early in a non PPR, 4 point passing TD league. I think its a reach for players who belong there in different formats. not loving Turner/BJGE/Tate as a RB trio this year.

Shovel - QB early, drafting 2 defenses, only 1 TE.

ICEMAN:

1.11- QB Tom Brady, NEP

2.02- TE Rob Gronkowski, NEP

3.11- RB Michael Turner, Atl.

4.02- WR Miles Austin, Dal.

5.11- RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Cin.

6.02- WR Brandon Lloyd, NEP

7.11- WR Santonio Holmes, NYJ

8.02- RB Ben Tate, Hou.

9.11- RB Pierre Thomas, NO

10.02- TE Jared Cook, Ten.

11.11- WR Justin Blackmon, JAC

12.02- QB Matt Cassel, KC

13.11- RB Tim Hightower, Was.

14.02- WR James Jones, GB

15.11- K Dan Bailey, Dal.

16.02- D/ST, New York Giants

Analysis: ICE will not be the only person this summer to use his first two picks on the combo of Tom Brady and Rob Gronkowski. There's nothing at all bad about doing so as you are getting arguably the best 1-2 punch in fantasy football right off the bat on your team. But, what does not drafting a RB or WR until 3.11 get you in terms of an overall roster? The answer to that is subpar personnel in comparison to all the other teams in the No-Hassle league. Michael Turner and Miles Austin as your #1 RB and WR may not be enough to help you win a title even with Brady and Gronk in the fold. Also, if we're going to accuse shovel of homerism, ICE has to be mentioned in the same breath with three Patriots and two former Patriots on the roster. What is worth applauding here is that ICE went away from the conventional in this draft and formed a fairly unique sort of team. Seeing how this bunch stacks up given their extreme strengths and weaknesses should be a lot of fun.

Key to No-Hassle success: In order for this team to be in the top five, I think Michael Turner has to have one more highly productive season. There's little doubt that the tread on Turner's tires is starting to wear thin and as such, his selection as lead back for this team was a risky one. Also, the WRs have to really step it up in terms of meeting or even exceeding expectations. It's not a super strong group, but Lloyd has some upside as does Justin Blackmon. One of those two probably needs to go well above average projections to give ICE some juice in the middle of his lineup.

Favorite pick: Lloyd. Not so much because it was a value pick, but because ICE needed a WR with some upside to get the middle of his lineup jump-started. He's pinned a great deal of success on the Patriots passing attack, but I guess if you're going to bank on one thing like that, it needs to be something dynamic. That's exactly what Brady/Gronkowski/Lloyd are likely to be.

Least Favorite pick: Gronkowski. Not that he's not great...because he is. The pick just left this team behind the 8-ball in terms of filling out the roster with RBs and WRs.

Overall outlook: As I said before, you've got to give ICE credit for doing things in such an unconventional fashion. But, I think he's going to struggle to compete in the league for a title with such mediocre talent being forced into significant roles. On the weeks in which Brady throws for 400+ yards and 3-4 TDs, chances are he'll score well as Gronk and Lloyd will also benefit from that. But, on the weeks where Brady goes for 240 yards and 1-2 TDs, it could be rough. Can anybody else step up and give this team a lift? That's the million dollar question going in this year.

****************************************************************************************************************************

I'll say one thing about this Mock Draft. It unfolded in a displeasing manner overall. I thought that I would test out some theories and got burned for the most part on the RB front. I disagree, however, with Fumble with regards to the keys for this teams success. I do think that in order for this team to have success that an RB has to step-up, but I don't think it's Turner. I think that it would probably take an injury to Arian Foster, which in turn would make Ben Tate fantasy gold, in order for this team to have success. I don't expect great things from Turner (not something that you really want to be saying about your 3rd rounder!), but I think that he should be able to provide 1000 yards and 7-9 TD's, even with a lightened workload. I just don't think that even my expectation of his performance this season would enable this team to succeed.

The problem for me was that after taking Gronk (the experimental part of my draft strategery), there was absolutely nothing left as far as viable starting, non-RBBC running backs go. In my mind after Marshawn Lynch, there are some pretty severe warts on every RB that is going to be selected in this years fantasy drafts.

I disagree with a couple of other points that Fumble made about this team as well, but they are entirely subjective things. I believe that the 3 first WR's that I selected (Austin/Lloyd/Holmes) can be a strength of this team. This is mostly due to the second thing that I disagree with with Fumble about. Although I saw it as it was unfolding, this draft was not based on homerism. It was based on the fact that I firmly believe that the Patriots offense is going to re-explode this season with Josh McDaniels back as Offensive Coordinator and Brandon Lloyd on the team. Therefore, my rankings for virtually all Patriots players is waaaay higher than most people's rankings and would cause me to select them higher than most others would and also cause me to have far more of them on my team. I honestly almost drafted Aaron Hernandez as well! The selections of BJGE and Matt Cassel were really just a bizarre anomoly.

We'll see how it all shakes out during the season, but I can tell you one thing...I will not be taking Gronk with my second pick in my money league.

Thanks for the feedback, Fumble. I appreciate your critique, as always.

ICEMAN

****************************************************************************************************************************

Ice...he used the homerism thing on me as well. What he failed to mention is that every last one of them fell right where they were supposed to be, with exception of maybe the Bengals defense.

Gresham - makes the pro bowl last year with a rookie QB, new system and no offseason.

Bernard Scott - A RB3 in an even 50/50 split on carries

Sanu - a WR5 that multiple publications have predicted will lead all rookies

Bengals D/Nugent - my last two picks..whatever

It's all good though. It will be fun to watch the season unfold.

:lol:

Words don't always translate intent very well. Didn't mean to suggest that it was necesarily homerism in some sort of negative light. Just that you guys are optimistic about your teams (as every fan should be) and in accordance with that optimism come higher rankings for players on those teams than what others would have.

I didn't mean you ignored reason simply to draft a Bengal or Patriot. Sorry if it came off that way. B)

:lol:

Words don't always translate intent very well. Didn't mean to suggest that it was necesarily homerism in some sort of negative light. Just that you guys are optimistic about your teams (as every fan should be) and in accordance with that optimism come higher rankings for players on those teams than what others would have.

I didn't mean you ignored reason simply to draft a Bengal or Patriot. Sorry if it came off that way. B)

No offense taken, Fumble. I assure you. B) :cheers: B)

ICEMAN

So................I expected Peterson to lose a game or two due to injury.......

But.....arrested....................in Houston no less!!!!!