Sign in to follow this  
The Beer Inspector

Draft Night Date Set Too Early?

So in one of my leagues, the commissioner wants to hold the draft on August 4th. That's pretty much a week before the preseason even starts. I personally think it's WAY too early to have a draft. Just wanted your opinion on the situation and if I should do it or not.

So in one of my leagues, the commissioner wants to hold the draft on August 4th. That's pretty much a week before the preseason even starts. I personally think it's WAY too early to have a draft. Just wanted your opinion on the situation and if I should do it or not.

For a redraft I believe it is way too early. I don't mind having it after the second preseason game but a week before the game even starts can really sink your season if something happens to one of your first picks that could have been avoided by having the draft later. Maybe your commish is really busy and that is the only date he can get everyone together? I tell my wife that the last 2 weekends in Aug are off limits for anything being planned.

If that's the only time everyone can do it, I don't see a huge issue. Sure, someone can get screwed if ______ goes down in camp, but injuries happen. It isn't as though anyone has an advantage due to the draft date.

(Copied from another thread, where I just posted this, but it's more relevant here)

I have a draft this Saturday (26 July). Yeah, I know it's early as hell, but it's our 10th year reunion and we're finally able to get the band back together again for a live draft for the first time since 2003. We're a league comprised of military and military retirees. Three of the guys are now teachers, so that limits availability of a live draft to "before school starts". Early or not, I'll take a live draft in Vegas over a "live" draft on the CPU after the 3rd preseason game 100% of the time.

It's too early for a redraft. If add/drops are allowed after draft day it's going to be chaos until the season begins. And the losers who have nothing better to do but lurk on FF web sites will have a big advantage in improving their rosters prior to the season.

It's too early for a redraft. If add/drops are allowed after draft day it's going to be chaos until the season begins. And the losers who have nothing better to do but lurk on FF web sites will have a big advantage in improving their rosters prior to the season.

I agree. This is too early for a redraft. I usually get in a couple leagues early, but they are always cheap leagues and I use them to guage ADP before heading into my real drafts, which usually begin towards the end of August. This is just my opinion, but I prefer to draft two weeks prior to the season opener in any trade leagues. For the most part, I try to only play in no-trade leagues. The preseason injuries are finished, you have time to set your board and select some "sleepers" based on the preseason and yet you still have ample time to trade before the season begins.

This sounds like the end of the world. You may want to consider sitting this season out, so you can scour the earth, searching for a league that suits your every need and try again next year. Quit making excuses man, it's meant to be fun. If you like the league, and the other owners in the league, who cares?

It's the same for everyone... how can it be an advantage or disadvantage?

"too early" is a personal opinion, not something set in stone...

If that's the only time everyone can do it, I don't see a huge issue. Sure, someone can get screwed if ______ goes down in camp, but injuries happen. It isn't as though anyone has an advantage due to the draft date.

(Copied from another thread, where I just posted this, but it's more relevant here)

I have a draft this Saturday (26 July). Yeah, I know it's early as hell, but it's our 10th year reunion and we're finally able to get the band back together again for a live draft for the first time since 2003. We're a league comprised of military and military retirees. Three of the guys are now teachers, so that limits availability of a live draft to "before school starts". Early or not, I'll take a live draft in Vegas over a "live" draft on the CPU after the 3rd preseason game 100% of the time.

Well that is a little different. Drafting in Vegas would be the shiz.

Though drafting later protects against preseason injuries, it can happen to everyone equally. The later you draft, the more info you have and the better everyone will draft, but it most benefits those who don't know the talent as well, by giving more information and bringing more sleepers to the surface.

Well that is a little different. Drafting in Vegas would be the shiz.

I can hardly wait. A few of us are flying in early and playing golf at Royal Links on Thursday and Desert Pines on Friday.

The draft kicks at 3:00 (bartender to serve drinks and a stripper/dealer for the poker game after the draft will serve as the "draft board manager")

Every year my league's commissioner is super eager to have the draft (can't blame him), so every year our draft is way too damn early. I've gotten over it though--it doesn't really benefit or disadvantage anyone. Everyone has the same risk of drafting a guy who gets hurt in pre-season, or missing out on the dude who blows it up in pre-season and shoots up everyone's draft boards.

I can hardly wait. A few of us are flying in early and playing golf at Royal Links on Thursday and Desert Pines on Friday.

The draft kicks at 3:00 (bartender to serve drinks and a stripper/dealer for the poker game after the draft will serve as the "draft board manager")

Oh man that sounds effing fantastic. Well you and your leaguemates have definitely earned it by serving our country. Maybe I can convince one of my leagues to go this route on draft day. There will have to be a LOT of convincing the wives so I think that would be the hold up.

I always try to have my live draft the last couple weekends in august as most commissioners do ! But this year alot of scheduling conflicts has caused me to have it sunday august 12th . Which is too early for my taste but when you have a league of adults that have families and hopefully jobs it makes it pretty tough to get 12 owners together !

Ditka is right ! Don't let an early draft date spoil your fun !

Goodluck this year !!

Everyone who is on this board should want early drafts. The earlier the draft the bigger the advantage those of us who read this crap every day have. You will see it big time doing mock drafts too. Where a player you might get in rounds 8-10 now starts having great preseason and by time draft comes around everyone is all over him and he gets taken in 6th round.

Everyone who is on this board should want early drafts. The earlier the draft the bigger the advantage those of us who read this crap every day have. You will see it big time doing mock drafts too. Where a player you might get in rounds 8-10 now starts having great preseason and by time draft comes around everyone is all over him and he gets taken in 6th round.

my draft is August 4th because we are all going back to school and stuff so its gotta be early in the summer and honestly this^^^ couldnt be more true.

our draft is Aug 2ND and ive been traveling for work constantly.. and as a writer im busy which has me a bit freaked out.. its a 10 keeper, all i have right now to go on is that drew signed and wallace hasnt.. prolly give up my 3rd for a pick. i dont think fred jacskon is worth the fight and i dont think im gonna need eli. here goes this guessing game. i wish i had another week at least but i guess we cant all win.

I couldn't disagree more. Any advantage you might have being knowledgeable about sleeper/rookie picks could be negated by preseason injuries. So you're astute enough to pick up Kendall Wright before he goes off in a couple of preseason games but your #1 QB and RB tear their ACLs in August. And don't tell me that injuries happen and there's nothing you can do about it. There's nothing you can do about injuries during the regular season, but you can limit their impact during the preseason by having your draft as late as possible. My league has always had our draft the weekend before Labor Day and it's worked out perfectly.

I like drafting earlier because it puts the cheat sheet lovers at a disadvantage, gives the wise guys a leg up. I miss the pre-internet days. :bandana:

It was like that with Arian Foster 2 years ago. I was consistantly getting him on FFC in the 7th or 6th. Then he crept up and I had to take him in the fourth because I just knew he wouldn't be there. When I picked him there were about 4 guys who were like "DAMNIT!"