Sign in to follow this  
Derrick

Some overvalued QB's

Overrated QB’s

1. Michael Vick – As much as I want to fall in love with Mike Vick’s high ceiling, I just cannot pull the trigger in any draft. I’d much rather have Matt Ryan, Eli Manning or Tony Romo. Hell, I’d even wait for Rivers to fall and grab him because he’ll be a better value. Vick will be hurt at some point and there’s no denying that (wrote this before tonight’s game, way to make my point) Let someone else be the person to take the risk on Vick.

2. Peyton Manning – He might be the best QB ever, but he comes with even more injury risk than Mr. Pitbull who was first on this list. I have always been a huge fan of Peyton, and I do think he has a chance to do well. The thing that is bothering me is the weapons in Denver are not appealing to me coupled with the fact that one blind side hit and Peyton may be stuck coaching instead of playing. IF he falls and you’re getting him as the tenth QB off the board, then I’d think about it. I cannot justify a 6th round pick on this guy though. People live in the past, so let them keep thinking this is 2007.

3. Robert Griffin III - I love this guy’s talent, demeanor, and general attitude about the game. The problem that I see with him is that Cam Newton set the bar too high. Some people are thinking that this is going to be the same thing. Not so fast my friend (Lee Corso voice), RG3 does most of his damage inside the pocket and isn’t a monster in stature like Cam is. I’m thinking 18-21 TD’s and 15-18 INT’s. Is that really 8th round worthy? I’ll take Cutler who is falling after him.

I don't really view Peyton as an injury list. All he did was play every game in his career for 13 straight years before finally getting knocked out with a nerve damage that made him unable to throw a football. It's not like those are common, and there's no reason to think having nerve damage once makes you more susceptible to it in the future.

Every guy is one backside hit away from coaching. Pretty sure most if not all docs say he isn't any larger risk than any other player.

He is currently going above Eli, Rivers and Cutler....I'd rather any of those guys over Peyton

He is currently going above Eli, Rivers and Cutler....I'd rather any of those guys over Peyton

While I don't agree (I'd take Eli before Peyton but not Rivers or Cutler) I was just commenting on the injury risk label.

I almost put him on here. Tolbert definitely eats in to those tds.

Why Tolbert? They have 2 excellent RB's who can run in the redzone. I don't think Tolbert is going to be much more than a FB.

If you haven't watched any of the Denver preseason games, you might want to watch it before taking Manning.

I noticed his arm strength have deteriorated considerably where you can notice it even on TV. His accuracy is also wayyy off.

The days of Manning slinging it 550+ times a year is over. I think Denver will start off running the ball often early and late.

Why Tolbert? They have 2 excellent RB's who can run in the redzone. I don't think Tolbert is going to be much more than a FB.

Because tolbert has a nose for the endzone. If they want to maximize the career length of cam they will not be desiggning as many plays to run him inside. Why run cam when tokbert is a very affective short yard back?

On a side note i really hate the way carolina is putting their team together. So much wasted money on the rb position. It is the opposite to me of the patriots. I really enjoy the way they build their teams and put stock into the important positions that make the biggest impact.

Josh freeman is so overrated. I wouldnt even draft the clown. I think bradford is a much better backup option for your team.

Because tolbert has a nose for the endzone. If they want to maximize the career length of cam they will not be desiggning as many plays to run him inside. Why run cam when tokbert is a very affective short yard back?

i have to agree here... last year was he rookie season, and his 'breakout party'... the franchise wanted to let the fan base know what newton can do... now if they are smart they won't be letting him do qb sneaks from 1 yard out... it would be a shame if he got tangled up in a big scrum by the goalline

I almost put him on here. Tolbert definitely eats those Big Macs.

Fixed

If you haven't watched any of the Denver preseason games, you might want to watch it before taking Manning.

I noticed his arm strength have deteriorated considerably where you can notice it even on TV. His accuracy is also wayyy off.

The days of Manning slinging it 550+ times a year is over. I think Denver will start off running the ball often early and late.

Don't really agree on this. While I'm concerned about a few wobbly passes, his accuracy and timing have been pretty vintage Manning - and I've watched every game of his of the last 5 years multiple times.

As far as total numbers - Manning threw 23 times in one half - Denver isn't trying to hide him behind some power running game. And in that half against a top5 secondary, in his first extended play in over 19 months, he put up 177 yards and had a wide-open TD dropped. One of his 2 picks was a DLine deflection, not his fault. The other he definitely forced/overthrew. He still has some work to do, sure. But not sure what has you saying his accuracy is "wayyy off".

Fixed

Don't really agree on this. While I'm concerned about a few wobbly passes, his accuracy and timing have been pretty vintage Manning - and I've watched every game of his of the last 5 years multiple times.

As far as total numbers - Manning threw 23 times in one half - Denver isn't trying to hide him behind some power running game. And in that half against a top5 secondary, in his first extended play in over 19 months, he put up 177 yards and had a wide-open TD dropped. One of his 2 picks was a DLine deflection, not his fault. The other he definitely forced/overthrew. He still has some work to do, sure. But not sure what has you saying his accuracy is "wayyy off".

Passes aren't hitting guys where it should be. He's not vintage Peyton Manning. Even Manning have said he's got a lot of work ahead.

The way Ryan keeps trending up (from an average 7.04 pick in late July to 4.10 now), it seems like he is quickly moving from a value pick to simply overvalued.

http://fantasyfootballcalculator.com/adp.php

I think he finish ahead of Cam and Vick this season. Both are drafted before him (Cam at the turn (2) and Vick in early 4th).