Sign in to follow this  
CornKobb

The Law Firm BenJarvus Green Ellis

How does he play tonight despite a terrible matchup.

I think he is a fair start tonight with Bernard Scott out at rb.

70 rush, 1 td, 3-14 rec.

thoughts.

I think your guess might be pretty close. Either that or Baltimore will swallow him up and he'll have something closer to Chris Johnson's performance. Have him on one of my teams so I'm hoping he has a decent day.

I am not optimistic about BJGE.

70 yards and a TD running? not unreasonable but I also don't know that he'll catch 15 passes all year, nevermind 3 tonight.

I see him mentioned, with the cool "Law Firm" nickname and honestly, I wonder how many people really watched him play VS. reading the fantasy stats and writeups?

Not pointing fingers towards anyone in particluar here, especially the OP, but BJGE isn't a very exciting player. He runs really hard for 3 or 4 yards, goes down, and does not fumble. That's what he is. You don't build an offensive gameplan around him. You don't pile up yardage and catches with him.

If his team gets to the goal line, he can punch it in (3 or 4 yards, and not fumble).

IMO, this means that BJGE makes a fantasy living by racking up TDs on a high scoring offense (NE) and unless those goal line opportunities are there frequently, his fantasy value drops off greatly.

I just don't believe CIN will be that high scoring and subsequently don't believe the Green Ellis will make many owners happy this year.

The reason I don't want anything to do with him is because he's a Bengal, and not a Patriot. It's the same reason I own Ridley now, except Ridley has a couple more skills beyond 3/4 yards without fumbling.

The reason I don't want anything to do with him is because he's a Bengal, and not a Patriot. It's the same reason I own Ridley now, except Ridley has a couple more skills beyond 3/4 yards without fumbling.

:thumbsup: EXACTLY.

How does he play tonight despite a terrible matchup.

I think he is a fair start tonight with Bernard Scott out at rb.

70 rush, 1 td, 3-14 rec.

thoughts.

I tried to start this thread a while ago but failed. I had the same questions drafting him but he was best available at the time. I knew his numbers were inflated because of all the red zone opportunities he had in NE but I also thought they may have been limited because of Belichick's revolving door of offensive weapons. Between Woodhead, Faulk, and whoever else was there you never knew who would get the touches. Couple that with their pass first offense I thought the decline in red zone attempts would be offset by him having more opportunities and being the ONLY featured back (Bernard Scott is a joke, won't/can't stay healthy and isnt that good even if he is). I was hoping for the second coming of cedric benson (the version of him 3 years ago). Solid, but nothing that will wow you.

The problem was I never payed enough attention to the Pats backfield to see if he had any talent.

I tried to start this thread a while ago but failed. I had the same questions drafting him but he was best available at the time. I knew his numbers were inflated because of all the red zone opportunities he had in NE but I also thought they may have been limited because of Belichick's revolving door of offensive weapons. Between Woodhead, Faulk, and whoever else was there you never knew who would get the touches. Couple that with their pass first offense I thought the decline in red zone attempts would be offset by him having more opportunities and being the ONLY featured back (Bernard Scott is a joke, won't/can't stay healthy and isnt that good even if he is). I was hoping for the second coming of cedric benson (the version of him 3 years ago). Solid, but nothing that will wow you.

The problem was I never payed enough attention to the Pats backfield to see if he had any talent.

I'm not trying to bash BJGE or anyone who drafted him. I hope he does well for you and for himself - he's another one of those guys that has worked his tail off to get to the NFL (undrafted FA).

He's good for your football team: he works hard, runs hard, and does what the team asks of him, he's one of those guys that still just happy to be there and expects nothing, no prima-donna stuff.

But you can go back and search my posts from the last 2 - 3 years, BJGE isn't a great running back and the revolving door in NE was b/c no RB there could be an every down RB - it was a bunch of pass catching midgets with one power back Green Ellis who, really, is pretty slow and doesn't catch the ball.

BJGEs success will be tied directly to Andy Dalton, AJ Green, and that Bengal's offense. If they get down inside the 5, chalk up 6 points for BJGE. And from the small samples I have seen of B. Scott, he seems like the perfect compliment to BJGE (i.e. speedy, pass catcher, change of pace RB)?

I think BJGE may very well suck tonight, even though I actually really like his prospects on the season.

I like them for the same reason everyone else seems to hate him. He IS dull. He IS a plodder. But he's really freaking good and consistent at plodding and then not fumbling. You CAN build an offense around that...teams did it for most of the last century.

AND, Marvin Lewis in particular seems to enjoy this methodology. I've never been less inspired by a fantasy running back than I was with Rudi Johnson when he was in Marvin's O, unless it was by Cedric Benson when he was. But they both put up borderline top 10 RB seasons with surprising regularity.

I think Marvin knew what he wanted, and he went out and got it, to the combined yawns and so-whats of fantasy footballers everywhere. And I think people have BJGE's limitations dead on...but seem to forget that 3.9 yards and a cloud of dust (but no fumble) adds up if you have a coach and a gameplan that lets you keep doing it all year long, even when you go through rough patches.

I see a lot of ho-hum but ultimately useful 90/1 days in BJGE's season. I just don't think tonight is one of them. BAL feasts on stuff like that. Oh well.

I'm already kind of mentally shaping plans to make an offer for BJGE if he lays a turd tonight. Which I think he will. Something like 15 runs for 40 yards and no paydirt wouldn't shock me.

I think BJGE may very well suck tonight, even though I actually really like his prospects on the season.

I like them for the same reason everyone else seems to hate him. He IS dull. He IS a plodder. But he's really freaking good and consistent at plodding and then not fumbling. You CAN build an offense around that...teams did it for most of the last century.

AND, Marvin Lewis in particular seems to enjoy this methodology. I've never been less inspired by a fantasy running back than I was with Rudi Johnson when he was in Marvin's O, unless it was by Cedric Benson when he was.

I think Marvin knew what he wanted, and he went out and got it, to the combined yawns and so-whats of fantasy footballers everywhere. And I think people have BJGE's limitations dead on...but seem to forget that 3.9 yards and a cloud of dust (but no fumble) adds up if you have a coach and a gameplan that lets you keep doing it all year long, even when you go through rough patches.

I see a lot of ho-hum but ultimately useful 90/1 days in BJGE's season. I just don't think tonight is one of them. BAL feasts on stuff like that. Oh well.

I'm already kind of mentally shaping plans to make an offer for BJGE if he lays a turd tonight. Which I think he will. Something like 15 runs for 40 yards and no paydirt wouldn't shock me.

Marvin Lewis has AJ Green as his only weapon on offense. He's the only guy teams really need to pay extra attention to. That doesn't do much for BJGE's style at all.

Marvin Lewis has AJ Green as his only weapon on offense. He's the only guy teams really need to pay extra attention to. That doesn't do much for BJGE's style at all.

I don't know that I agree with this at all.

I just don't think Marvin Lewis is that kind of modern, whiz-bang gameplanner, and I feel this thinking is looking at the way old school guys like him coach and turning it inside out.

These guys are BASING their offensive gameplan on feeding a plodder into the meat grinder over and over, knowing that if the guy can continue to churn out anywhere near the neighborhood of 4 YPC, the defense eventually has to commit to stopping it, and that opens up the pass. Kind of opposite of how most OC's approach the game these days...but it does have a pedigree.

As I try to think back to non-Marvin examples of coaches running gameplans this way without particularly impressive arrays of aerial weaponry, I think of Jeff Fisher's Eddie George Titan teams.

Eddie absolutely hoarded carries on those teams, and often did it at a sub-4.0 ypc clip. And the leading receivers on those teams were guys like Frank Wycheck and Derrick Mason. I think with AJ and Gresham, Marvin's got at least that caliber of weaponry to work with. He's planning to let BJ do his mediocre thing as often as need be to churn out wins, play the field position game, let his above-average defense and turnover-free running game wear down opponents, and strike downfield when it presents itself.

I dunno. I guess just chalk it up to my being a believer in this match, and your not-believing. We'll see how it plays out over the course of a year, but I think this is going to be a great marriage, and I still think CIN has what it takes to end on the plus side of .500 with this unit.

Ive never seen THIS BenJarvus, that dude out there for the Bengals looks fast, strong and mean. I dont own him on any teams, but this guy looks legit. His ADP was WAAAAYYYY too high for me to even follow him in preseason, so I dont know if he looked like this during the preseason

I am not optimistic about BJGE.

70 yards and a TD running? not unreasonable but I also don't know that he'll catch 15 passes all year, nevermind 3 tonight.

I see him mentioned, with the cool "Law Firm" nickname and honestly, I wonder how many people really watched him play VS. reading the fantasy stats and writeups?

Not pointing fingers towards anyone in particluar here, especially the OP, but BJGE isn't a very exciting player. He runs really hard for 3 or 4 yards, goes down, and does not fumble. That's what he is. You don't build an offensive gameplan around him. You don't pile up yardage and catches with him.

If his team gets to the goal line, he can punch it in (3 or 4 yards, and not fumble).

IMO, this means that BJGE makes a fantasy living by racking up TDs on a high scoring offense (NE) and unless those goal line opportunities are there frequently, his fantasy value drops off greatly.

I just don't believe CIN will be that high scoring and subsequently don't believe the Green Ellis will make many owners happy this year.

wouldn't that make him Ced Benson II ?

Ive never seen THIS BenJarvus, that dude out there for the Bengals looks fast, strong and mean. I dont own him on any teams, but this guy looks legit. His ADP was WAAAAYYYY too high for me to even follow him in preseason, so I dont know if he looked like this during the preseason

He was injured after the 1st preseason game. Guy is ballin right now. Love to see a running back in stripes that doesn't get stood up & go down on first contact. Legs are constantly moving forward, great effort on the TD.

Don't miss Benson one bit.

The Marvin Lewis gameplan still seems very much in effect, but I seem to have underestimated how BJGE would perform against the Ratbirds. Maybe I was just overestimating BAL's defense? I keep thinking age has to catch them one of these years...

The Marvin Lewis gameplan still seems very much in effect, but I seem to have underestimated how BJGE would perform against the Ratbirds. Maybe I was just overestimating BAL's defense? I keep thinking age has to catch them one of these years...

BJE is gonna get Dalton killed though. He can't pick up the blitz for squat :nono:

BJE is gonna get Dalton killed though. He can't pick up the blitz for squat :nono:

Actually he was known in NE for his blocking. Gruden even made a remark how he was going to be an asset in pass blocking. Yea I know Gruden says a lot, but still it's something.

I liked what I saw out of BGE in the running game but he looked like a rookie out there in pass protection. Ladarrius Webb had several easy lanes to Dalton's blind side that BGE should've picked up but he wasn't aware. Baltimore did do a good job of disguising the CB blitz but it happened several times. He'll get his was chewed in the film room this week.

He was pretty solid.

yup. he looked good... it was a bit of "bizarro BJGE" to me... he missed some block, caught a pass, and had a bit more "burst"... he always ran hard, but there was an extra bit of speed or burst to him last night (and not that he's fast, just had some extra zip driving thru the holes).

I'd be pretty optimistic if I owned him. CIN was pretty much blown out. BAL made it a fast paced passing game but BJGE still got his touches/points.

Any updated thoughts on BJGE after week 2? 166 yards on 39 carries through 2 games is pretty nice, can he maintain 20ish carries per game through the season?

Is Scott a threat at all?

Do any of you play him at the flex in 10 team leagues?

I'm not at all worried about his TDs. To me, the value of BJGE is in his consistent yardage so I want to keep a close eye on his opportunity.

Any updated thoughts on BJGE after week 2? 166 yards on 39 carries through 2 games is pretty nice, can he maintain 20ish carries per game through the season?

Is Scott a threat at all?

Do any of you play him at the flex in 10 team leagues?

I'm not at all worried about his TDs. To me, the value of BJGE is in his consistent yardage so I want to keep a close eye on his opportunity.

Yes I have played him as my flex the first two weeks. This week he may be my RB2 depending on what the satus of S Jackson is with his groin or R Mathews if I get him in a trade for Jackson. I think what you have seen will be the norm most weeks and in my ppr league that has been around 12 to 13 points. I like that score line at my flex postion.

What you've seen is what you get.

I am surprised at how good he looks. He isnt spectacular by any means but he has been very solid. I dont see him performing much better than he is now though. 11-13 point non ppr average is about what you will get.