Sign in to follow this  
GreenTD

Frustrations of Ben Tate

Just observing his two games thus far, he is incredibly frustrating to own. I started him last week as my flex thinking he'd get some nice garbage yards after Houston got a lead on Miami & he does next to nothing.

Now this week, he rides the pine & scores two touchdowns with decent yardage?!?! I told myself after last week I was only going to start him if Foster was ruled out but then he had a great outing today with Foster scoring as well. Was Kubiak being smart & resting Foster a bit more or is it a case of Tate getting his # called in the perfect situation?

What is everyone else doing with him? Curious to hear how the other Tate & Foster/Tate owners are handling this backfield situation.

I had Tate and Foster last year and it was the same deal for me. You're always tempted to start him after an outing like this, but last year he'd always follow it up with a dud. He ended up being just a handcuff for Foster last year. It could be different this year, but I'd have trouble starting him with confidence if you have other options.

Does this translate into frustrations of Foster at all as well?

What I mean is that my buddy took Rice b/c he knew he was always gonna be the guy and didn't have to carry his backup and use a pick on him. Going RIce might have allowed for the opportunity to pick a more consistent weekly option instead of Tate near his ADP.

for me you just gotta sit on him and wait. Either he is good trade bait after a week like this, in a package deal, you throw him in and it sweetens the pot quite nicely, or you just sit and wait for Foster to get injured. Otherwise just ignore him until it's time. Theres no way you predict when he's gonna get you points or not, unless Foster is out.

Take comfort that you've also prevented an opponent from using him, and you can also rest easy knowing that you won't miss a beat if Foster goes down.

How can people be frustrated with a backup?

:dunno:

:thumbsup:

I drafted Tate knowing if Foster got hurt I owned a stud.

I also drafted Spiller in the hopes he would do well should jackson get hurt.

that is what fantasy football is about, taking chances and getting very lucky. Like poker

If you drafted tate with the thoughts of starting him while foster is still upright, you're not very smart.

Tate should be stashed on the bench for now. Hes still playing behind Foster and he should get the bulk of the carries. However, Tates time will come if Foster goes down and then youll be glad you stashed him.

How can people be frustrated with a backup?

:dunno:

Name me another backup in the NFL that can put up more points in a game where the starter is healthy & getting his share?

Name me another backup in the NFL that can put up more points in a game where the starter is healthy & getting his share?

What once or twice for the year? that worth a start every week?

Good luck picking the correct week.

:thumbsup:

I drafted Tate knowing if Foster got hurt I owned a stud.

I also drafted Spiller in the hopes he would do well should jackson get hurt.

that is what fantasy football is about, taking chances and getting very lucky. Like poker

If you drafted tate with the thoughts of starting him while foster is still upright, you're not very smart.

I acknowledge that I drafted him with the purpose of stashing him in the event that if Foster goes down, I have fantasy gold in my pocket. I was just discussing that on any given day, even in a backup role, he can still put up more fantasy points than a starting running back getting 20+ carries on another NFL team. An outing like yesterday's will then tempt FF owners to start Tate as a RB2 or even a flex role, but then he comes back to Earth & plays like a backup.

Unless my RB situation gets hit by the injury bug or bye weeks conflict with my depth, he'll be stashed in case Foster goes down. It's just disheartening to see a backup RB put up starter #'s on my bench.

Sorry, guess I should've posted this in the FU thread where any complaints are justified.

Good luck picking the correct week.

That was the whole point of the discussion, trying to pick the correct week is frustrating if you attempt to start him.

What once or twice for the year? that worth a start every week?

There's no way I'd start him every week. But starting him in a game where a blowout seems imminent & Foster may be rested late in the game, Tate's opportunity for racking up garbage yards to kill the clock is a situation that may produce a decent stat line.

There's no way I'd start him every week. But starting him in a game where a blowout seems imminent & Foster may be rested late in the game, Tate's opportunity for racking up garbage yards to kill the clock is a situation that may produce a decent stat line.

If any of you watched the game you would have seen that Tate was in the game early and often. Think he had 8-10 touches in the first half and damn near had all 3 rushing TDs. It wasn't mop up duty yet foster still touched the ball 30 times. I personally think Tate is the better runner of the 2 but foster may be more of a complete back yet they are now getting Tate involved in the passing game.

Tate's talent is too difficult to keep on the bench... Kubiak knows Ben can be a special player. He needs to give him 10-15 touches a game to keep foster healthy and use Tate's skills for the benefit of the team. I think it will be the trend this year!!!!

Does this translate into frustrations of Foster at all as well?

What I mean is that my buddy took Rice b/c he knew he was always gonna be the guy and didn't have to carry his backup and use a pick on him. Going RIce might have allowed for the opportunity to pick a more consistent weekly option instead of Tate near his ADP.

Anyone have a comment on this?

Not so much for this year but I just think it's an interesting draft/team building scenario.

All things considered would you rather have Foster/Tate or Rice/? Obviously it depends upon who you landed....if it was Spiller you look like a genius. Ryan Williams not so much.

i have foster and tate, and my plan was just to use tate as my weekly flex... started him last week got burned and benched him this week... got burned again fock !!

guess i will go back to starting both just incase. the good news is even if its just foster that is scoring he is a high scorer

Last year I played them both most weeks and was happy each and every week. No other team in my opinion runs the ball as much as Houston and if I can get all the points from that team then I don't care which RB or a combination of the 2 gets them for me. This year I have both and Spiller so I will probably start Foster and which ever RB has the best match up unless I get a great trade offer for one of the 3.

Anyone have a comment on this?

Not so much for this year but I just think it's an interesting draft/team building scenario.

All things considered would you rather have Foster/Tate or Rice/? Obviously it depends upon who you landed....if it was Spiller you look like a genius. Ryan Williams not so much.

I think you've answered your own question here. If you could land good value instead of Tate at their respective ADPs, then you'd probably go with Rice + Good Value Player. If you whiff, then I'd rather have Foster + Tate.

Rice is awesome. But as a RR owner the past two years, can't tell you how frustrating the trio of Harbaugh, Cam, and Flacco can be. Seems like one of those guys are always screwing with Rice's production. You really can't argue with Rice's numbers so far this year, but how many times has he touched the ball? He surrendered a GL touch to Leach yesterday. Just seems like Cam and Harbaugh are trying to center the offense around Flacco....when all he is is a game manager with upside. Frustrating.

At least with Foster (and Tate) you know you're getting 1500+ total yards and double digit TDs. The yardage might be there with Rice, but historically speaking the TDs haven't.

Also, Glazer reported last Sunday that the Texans will make more of an effort to get Tate involved this season. Didn't see it against Miami as much as we did against JAX. If Tate's workload resembles the JAX game more than the MIA game, he could be an every week flex at the very least. It's nice that Arian is getting 30 touches a game. But if he can't improve upon his 3.5 ypc....gonna be seeing more Tate this year.

That was the whole point of the discussion, trying to pick the correct week is frustrating if you attempt to start him.

It's all a complete guess. Logic dictates Tate would have received half the carries in week 1 - but got pretty much none. This week few would have guess that Tate was going to split and end up worth nearly a dime and two tuddies.

Actually it was 3 tuddies. Tate was ruled out at the 1 yard line on the first and Foster was given the TD on the next play.

anyone else think high heat/humidity played a factor in # of touches Ben Tate got?

Foster still touched the ball 30 times. So no.

Foster still touched the ball 30 times. So no.

Yep, they just decided they weren't going to throw the ball at all. I wish the Texans would let me know when that will be the case so I can start Foster and Tate.