Sign in to follow this  
Casual Observer

Benghazi attack was a planned inside job

Apparently one of the Americans killed in the attack on our consulate in Benghazi was a member of an online gaming community. A snippet of information he posted before his death suggests that this was a planned and premiditated attack that occurred with the help of an insider.

"On Tuesday, Sean Smith, a Foreign Service Information Management Officer assigned to the American consulate in Benghazi, Libya, typed a message to the director of his online gaming guild: ”Assuming we don’t die tonight. We saw one of our ‘police’ that guard the compound taking pictures.” The consulate was under siege, and within hours, a mob would attack, killing Smith along with three others, including the U.S. ambassador.

In his professional and personal life, Smith was a husband and father of two, an Air Force veteran, and a 10-year veteran of the Foreign Service who had served in Baghdad, Pretoria, Montreal and The Hague. But when gaming with EVE Online guild Goonswarm, he was a popular figure known as “Vile Rat,” and alternately as “Vilerat” while volunteering as a moderator at the internet community Something Awful. Smith’s death was confirmed on Wednesday morning by the State Department and reported widely in the news media. But the first people to report Smith’s death were his friends. Their reaction was shock and mourning.

“My people, I have greivous [sic] news. Vile Rat has been confirmed to be KIA in Benghazi; his family has been informed and the news is likely to break out on the wire services soon,” wrote Goonswarm director Alex Gianturco in a message mirrored to Something Awful at 11:21 EST. “Needless to say, we are in shock, have no words, and have nothing but sympathy for his family and children. I have known Vile Rat since 2006, he was one of the oldest of old-guard goons and one of the best and most effective diplomats this game has ever seen.”

According to his friends, Smith had emerged as a key leader for the community, and was known as a senior guild diplomat who helped engineer the destruction of Goonswarm’s chief rival, the Band of Brothers. He let his guildmates design his tattoo. On Wednesday, Gianturco posted an obituary for his friend of more than six years. “He was on jabber when it happened, that’s the most ###### up thing,” Gianturco wrote. “In Baghdad the same kind of thing happened – incoming sirens, he’d vanish, we’d freak out and he’d come back ok after a bit. This time he said ‘######’ and ‘GUNFIRE’ and then disconnected and never returned.”

So he was like our very own edjr around here. :(

except ed killed his kid and he's still alive. <_<

Don't want to be a d1ck, but if you're on a security detail and see something happening, your first instinct is to post about it on a gaming site? It sounds like those moms who have updates on Facebook like "Help me! The baby is choking!"

I only get my information from the mainstream media and according to them this is no longer news. Did Romney's dog do anything today?

Don't want to be a d1ck, but if you're on a security detail and see something happening, your first instinct is to post about it on a gaming site? It sounds like those moms who have updates on Facebook like "Help me! The baby is choking!"

Where did it say it was his 1st instinct?

Where did it say it was his 1st instinct?

I guess it didn't, even when I was deployed we saw some ######, I didn't come post about it, just take care of it

I guess it didn't, even when I was deployed we saw some ######, I didn't come post about it, just take care of it

The dude was a diplomat who was relying on "security". Who could he call? How could he take care of it? Killing him, the Ambassador and the rest was shooting fish in barrel.

The dude was a diplomat who was relying on "security". Who could he call? How could he take care of it? Killing him, the Ambassador and the rest was shooting fish in barrel.

He could have taken the camera..

He could have taken the camera..

Or reported the picture-taking to his superiors. You raise good points. Where this guy had an inkling that the native security force might not be legit, why not get out of there?

Or reported the picture-taking to his superiors. You raise good points. Where this guy had an inkling that the native security force might not be legit, why not get out of there?

How do we know he did not do all of the above?

It's hard to tell from the story, but it reads as though he was online when the attack started.

Well, he's offline now. :wave: