Sign in to follow this  
envoy9

HOF QBs if they retired today? you list?

So here's something I've been thinking about... Which QBs would make the HOF if they retired TODAY...

I'm thinking the both Mannings, Brady, Brees, Roethelsberger, Rodgers... not sure about Romo or Palmer... Guys like Stafford and Ryan have not yet put in their time.

Thoughts?

Mannings, Brady and Brees are the only sure bets.

Rodgers is almost there and Ryan could get there.

Romo has the stats if he ever can do anything when it really matters.

Peyton and Brady are the only sure fire guys if today was everyone's last day.

Why not Brees?

I probably should include Brees. He's just a step below the other 2.

Matt Ryan is nowhere near HOF.

Is this a joke?

:thumbsdown:

Brady, Manning, Brees...for sure

Roethlisberger and Eli...very, very likely (both won 2 SB's, ben went to a 3rd)...though winning two SB's is no guarantee (just ask jim plunkett)

No one else would get in, as of today.

Rodgers is on his way, but he's only played 4 seasons. That's nowhere near enough

Romo, Rivers, Vick...not a chance. All have talent, all have had some very good years...none of them can do anything in the playoffs.

Stafford, Ryan, Flacco, Newton...all have had nice starts to their careers, but they're a long way away...

What I'm curious about is if Warner gets in...I'd assume yes, but wouldn't be shocked if he's held out, for some stupid reason.

Roethlisberger and Eli...very, very likely (both won 2 SB's, ben went to a 3rd)...though winning two SB's is no guarantee (just ask jim plunkett)

Rodgers is on his way, but he's only played 4 seasons. That's nowhere near enough

Romo, Rivers, Vick...not a chance. All have talent, all have had some very good years...none of them can do anything in the playoffs.

Stafford, Ryan, Flacco, Newton...all have had nice starts to their careers, but they're a long way away...

What I'm curious about is if Warner gets in...I'd assume yes, but wouldn't be shocked if he's held out, for some stupid reason.

This. And Eli SB performances are >>>>>>>>>>>> than Bens

In my opinion, the HOF locks are (1) Tom Brady, (2) Peyton Manning, (3) Eli Manning, (4) Ben Roethlisberger, & (5) Drew Brees. They could each retire after this season and still make it into the HOF. Rodgers in on the cusp because of the SB win and his big stats for a couple years -- though I think he needs a 2-3 more years of good production (or another SB) to be a lock. I don't see either Romo, Rivers, or Vick making it unless they manage to win a SB (or two) in the next few years.

From the young guys, I think Stafford, Ryan, and Flacco have the best chance -- though they've obviously got quite a ways to go still.

:dunno:

Totally agree with all of this. Far as Warner, he should be in, I'd definitely put him in.

This. And Warner is definitely in....before Big Ben and Eli, in my opinion.

Romo? Seriously with this talk? Romo's terrible. He may one day get chuckled at alongside the Vinny Testaverdes and Kerry Collinses of the world, as guys who seem on the face of it to have compiled HOF level stats over their careers, but are laughable when presented as HOF candidates. But that's about as far as it could go with him. The Cowboys are perennial underachievers, and he's a primetime slouch.

Sure, Warner, but I think the question was more about active QB's. Since Warner CAN'T retire today, having already done so and all that.

Yeah, I'm in agreement with the concensus & believe both Mannings, Brady, Brees Roethlisberger are all getting in. Rodgers will get there eventually also, just way to talented & has the team around him to get another SB.

Ryan & Stafford have the talent but they've got a ways to go.

Brady could have retired a few years back and still would be a lock for the HOF. Peyton and also Brees are locks as they dominated during their era, both have rings and will each be first ballots.

Although both Big Ben and Eli have multiple rings, they didn't quite dominate like the names previously mentioned. They'll probably both get in eventually though.

As for the rest of the QBs, it's way to soon to even discuss them.

PS: Romo should never ever be mentioned with the HOF.

HoF means best of his era which means to me: Manning, Brady, probably Brees now too. Rodgers hasn't the body of work nor anyone else. Rivers will probably end top 10 in some passing stats and he wasn't close to best of his era so it's relative to your peers not previous players stats.

Rings are a team thing, not a HoF requirement.

Lol @ rings don't matter. If you have shitty stats they do. You think Eli and Big Ben are going into the HOF because of their stats?

In all sports, the Hall of Fame should only be ONE nomination. A player is either HOF worthy or he ain't. Careers don't get better with time.

<_<

HoF means best of his era which means to me: Manning, Brady, probably Brees now too. Rodgers hasn't the body of work nor anyone else. Rivers will probably end top 10 in some passing stats and he wasn't close to best of his era so it's relative to your peers not previous players stats.

Rings are a team thing, not a HoF requirement.

I agree with the first part; I think some of these guys are talking about the Hall of Very Good.

Rings -- I don't think are required, but they help. Eli was instrumental in his two rings, so that is a plus in his favor. He's only had one excellent regular season though; nowhere near HOF material yet IMO.

Matt Ryan is nearly a HOF'er.

He has the talent and is off to a good start statistically. He also now has the supporting cast to possibly get a ring in the next few years.

He's far from a lock though.

He has the talent and is off to a good start statistically. He also now has the supporting cast to possibly get a ring in the next few years.

He's far from a lock though.

Yeah, but now somebody has said it, which renders your previous statement demonstrably false. Somebody had to take a grenade for rhetoric's sake.

This guy gets it.

rings are all that matters for the HOF QB's

therefore

Brady, Manning, Brees, Roeth, Sheli will all get in

stats mean nothing

which is why Rivers with better stats then Roeth or Sheli will never get in

rings are all that matters for the HOF QB's

therefore

Brady, Manning, Brees, Roeth, Sheli will all get in

stats mean nothing

which is why Rivers with better stats then Roeth or Sheli will never get in

Dan Marino, Dan Fouts, Fran Tarkenton, Jim Kellly and Warren Moon all say "Hello." :wave: