Sign in to follow this  
mgs316

Alex Green

News: Packers coach Mike McCarthy told reporters Monday that running back Alex Green will remain the "lead running back" for Green Bay in Week 7 at St. Louis. Green earned in first career start in place of the injured Cedric Benson in the Packers' win over the Texans last week and finished with 62 yards rushing on 22 carries. He also caught one pass for eight yards and will now face a Rams defense that is surrendering an average of 100.8 yards per contest on the ground.

Analysis: Green played pretty well in Green Bay's blowout win over Houston last week but he took backseat to the passing game as Aaron Rodgers threw for over 300 yards and scored six times through the air. However, he now has a ringing endorsement from McCarthy as the team's starting back, which means owners should once again expect Green to see a healthy number of carries in Week 7 at St. Louis. Still, the Rams have been very stingy against the run of late and have only allowed one opposing RB to find the end zone on the ground thus far. Fantasy owners should consider Green more of a low-end or flex option next Sunday.

Not like he's the next Dorsey Levens or anything but he's THE lead back now so has some value and can get you a couple points a week.

News: Packers coach Mike McCarthy told reporters Monday that running back Alex Green will remain the "lead running back" for Green Bay in Week 7 at St. Louis. Green earned in first career start in place of the injured Cedric Benson in the Packers' win over the Texans last week and finished with 62 yards rushing on 22 carries. He also caught one pass for eight yards and will now face a Rams defense that is surrendering an average of 100.8 yards per contest on the ground.

Analysis: Green played pretty well in Green Bay's blowout win over Houston last week but he took backseat to the passing game as Aaron Rodgers threw for over 300 yards and scored six times through the air. However, he now has a ringing endorsement from McCarthy as the team's starting back, which means owners should once again expect Green to see a healthy number of carries in Week 7 at St. Louis. Still, the Rams have been very stingy against the run of late and have only allowed one opposing RB to find the end zone on the ground thus far. Fantasy owners should consider Green more of a low-end or flex option next Sunday.

Not like he's the next Dorsey Levens or anything but he's THE lead back now so has some value and can get you a couple points a week.

I think he's WAY better than Ced Benson in terms of speed and agility, so if they are willing to give him the same number of touches that Ced was moving towards, I see decent production.

Dorsey Levens? Really?

I think he's WAY better than Ced Benson in terms of speed and agility, so if they are willing to give him the same number of touches that Ced was moving towards, I see decent production.

Dorsey Levens? Really?

Fine, Edgar Bennett. :headbanger:

He's a marginally talented RB on a team with no running game. Sounds like the recipe for a FF championship to me.

He's a marginally talented RB on a team with no running game. Sounds like the recipe for a FF championship to me.

he got 22 carries last week. i'm paying attention

He's definitely not Samkon Gado. :cheers:

But who is really? That's the rarefied air of Maddox, Pattern, and Davis.

he got 22 carries last week. i'm paying attention

For 65 yards (3.0 YPC). Only Chris Johnson would be jealous of those numbers. Not to mention, they were up 2 TD's for pretty much the entire game.

Obviously, you could do worse. He's got some nice match-up's the next few weeks (STL, Jax, Zona). I'd be looking to move him, before the week 10 bye.

For 65 yards (3.0 YPC). Only Chris Johnson would be jealous of those numbers. Not to mention, they were up 2 TD's for pretty much the entire game.

Obviously, you could do worse. He's got some nice match-up's the next few weeks (STL, Jax, Zona). I'd be looking to move him, before the week 10 bye.

Some of you make these statements in a vacuum. Move him? Move him for what?

Most of us are grabbing him as a #4 or 5 RB with maybe some upside or desperation start in case of bye or injuries. A starting RB this late in the season is a nice get no matter how crappy.

Some of you make these statements in a vacuum. Move him? Move him for what?

Most of us are grabbing him as a #4 or 5 RB with maybe some upside or desperation start in case of bye or injuries. A starting RB this late in the season is a nice get no matter how crappy.

Move him for whatever you need? If you have no other needs, keep him as a RB4/5. My only point is I don't believe his value will be any higher than it will be in the next 1-3 weeks.

Your statement about "a starting RB this late..." is flawed logic. A starting RB in FLEX who scores 6 or 7 points a game, is no better than any other option that scores 6 or 7 points a game. Your statement is only true, if you're counting on Green as a RB1/2. Obviously he would be better than playing nobody at RB.

He was running against the Texans in his first start. I would take a chance on any RB that gets that many carries.

He was running against the Texans in his first start. I would take a chance on any RB that gets that many carries.

And he outperformed Arain Foster by a mile.

i didn't say "he got 22 carries, i'm starting him" i said i'm paying attention. if he's getting opportunities then he has the chance to break out.

sounds like you just missed him on the waiver wire.

If he is the starter then he has value. How much value is yet to be determined, which is the fun part. I have realistic expectations, but think he could be a spot starter for sure through bye weeks and injuries that are upcoming.

sounds like you just missed him on the waiver wire.

I'm just giving my take, based on the play I watched and how GB has used the run game, over the last few years. They're the 23rd ranked rushing team this year. They have been ranked in the 20's for at least the last two seasons. I have no horse in this race. Didn't even put a claim in. HTH.

the RB waiver wire is tough so if you need an RB this guy is at least something. i watched the game, the green bay OL sucks at making holes for the run. the giants couldn't run the ball either for a bit and the oline gelled lately, could happen in GB. if they would just get this guy involved in the check down passing game, that is when he can contribute some numbers. i think he is worth a stash.

Green's ceiling would be if they start incorporating him into the passing game like they were beginning to with Benson. Since he is a shifty, cutback-type back, I would think he'd be dangerous out in the flats. Best case scenerio would be for him to turn into a 15 carries for 75 yards, 5 catches for 35 type of back. Of course, owners would hope he could pop one for a score once in a while.

His TDs would most-likely be longer ones, since Rodgers is pass-first inside the ten, with the few carries going to Kuhn.

Green's ceiling would be if they start incorporating him into the passing game like they were beginning to with Benson. Since he is a shifty, cutback-type back, I would think he'd be dangerous out in the flats. Best case scenerio would be for him to turn into a 15 carries for 75 yards, 5 catches for 35 type of back. Of course, owners would hope he could pop one for a score once in a while.

His TDs would most-likely be longer ones, since Rodgers is pass-first inside the ten, with the few carries going to Kuhn.

Really all you can ask for this late in the game. If you have to start him, other than bye week filler, your season is probably already in the toilet.

Rather have him than Fools Gold Part Deux aka Felix Jones.

Really all you can ask for this late in the game. If you have to start him, other than bye week filler, your season is probably already in the toilet.

Rather have him than Fools Gold Part Deux aka Felix Jones.

he is one of my 3 RB and I may have to start him - but I am 6-0 :)

redraft league, had the first pic. Went with Ray Rice. By the time my next pick rolled around, there was a QB (6 point passtd leage) and RB rush so I went WR - Roddy White and Welker. There still weren't any great RB's by my next two picks, so I went Colston and frickin' Peyton Hillis as my RB2. I drafted Big Ben to be my primary QB (a steal), Carson Palmer late round QB2. Also added in Pierre Thomas, Demarius Moore who fell far. Pettigrew as my TE, Tamme as by TE2.

the play from my WR and Rice and Ben has made me the 2nd leading scorer in the league. My RB situation is dire besides Rice, dropped Hillis, now I have Rice, Green, Pierre. So I may need to start Green, but my team is in good shape :)

Pettigrew has not done much. Dropped Tamme for Dreeson this week. Also added Josh Gordon. Debating putting up Colston to get a nice RB/TE. Eh. doing well enough so far but RB is a worry.

What about his talent is just marginal?

Its not like he is some undrafted rookie (oops...Foster was)...I think he has a bit of talent.

Now, his opportunity is based on what McCarthy will do with him.

They are not the best running team...no doubt.

Of course, the past few years, they also have not kept RBs very healthy.

Benson was at least startable in several games this year prior to the injury...Green offers a bit more than Benson in that he has more speed and is a better pass catching back.

What will hurt him is if he can't block any better and gets yanked constantly on 3rd down...and that they may not like him at the goalline and just throw, use Kuhn, or go for the Rodgers sneak.

There is possible upside to him that should not be ignored.

What about his talent is just marginal?

Its not like he is some undrafted rookie (oops...Foster was)...I think he has a bit of talent.

Now, his opportunity is based on what McCarthy will do with him.

They are not the best running team...no doubt.

Of course, the past few years, they also have not kept RBs very healthy.

Benson was at least startable in several games this year prior to the injury...Green offers a bit more than Benson in that he has more speed and is a better pass catching back.

What will hurt him is if he can't block any better and gets yanked constantly on 3rd down...and that they may not like him at the goalline and just throw, use Kuhn, or go for the Rodgers sneak.

There is possible upside to him that should not be ignored.

Fair enough Sho. I guess the sample size is too small to really say definitively. Hard to say what would have happened in camp and early in the season, if he wasn't coming off injury. And I agree with those saying he's a better option than someone like Felix. I think Felix is more talented RB though. I'd definitely play Felix ahead of Green this week, if Murray is out and I had both on my roster. Long term, Green has more value.

Fair enough Sho. I guess the sample size is too small to really say definitively. Hard to say what would have happened in camp and early in the season, if he wasn't coming off injury. And I agree with those saying he's a better option than someone like Felix. I think Felix is more talented RB though. I'd definitely play Felix ahead of Green this week, if Murray is out and I had both on my roster. Long term, Green has more value.

Agreed with this...Felix is a great play against Carolina this week.

Green is a better PPR back than Benson, albeit less talented overall, but Benson was putting up solid RB2 numbers. You're a fool if you dont roster him, and he'll probably sneak into my flex with some good matchups coming up.