Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

If the 2013 Draft were today...

Courtesy of ESPN, here is the current order for the first 10 picks of the 2013 Draft...

1. Kansas City Chiefs 	2-10
2. Jacksonville Jaguars 2-10
3. Oakland Raiders 	3-9
4. Philadelphia Eagles 	3-9
5. Carolina Panthers 	3-9
6. San Diego Chargers 	4-8
7. Cleveland Browns 	4-8
8. Detroit Lions 	4-8
9. Arizona Cardinals 	4-8
10. Tennessee Titans 	4-8

Anyone want to take a stab at the top ten players picked?

1. Kansas City Chiefs - QB Geno Smith, W. Virginia

Why can't the Chiefs draft the rights to Johnny Football and just hold on to them until he is ready to come out of college? The NFL blows. They hold kids in college and keep them from millions. Dumb. :thumbsdown:

1. Kansas City Chiefs: Tyler Wilson, QB, Arkansas

In Andy Reid’s first draft with the Philadelphia Eagles in 1999, they selected Donovan McNabb with the No. 2 overall pick. Reid is now the Kansas City Chiefs’ head coach, and unless the Chiefs pursue a veteran quarterback via trade or free agency, his new team will likely take the same strategy in finding their next signal-caller.

Geno Smith is considered by most as the top quarterback in this class, but his stock could be about to fall, due to some serious flaws were exposed in his game over the second half of his senior season. While this class lacks an elite quarterback, the best choice as a No. 1 overall pick would be Arkansas’ Tyler Wilson, who is the most sound all-around downfield pocket passer in the class.

Wilson has the tools to be a very solid starting quarterback at the next level, and looks like the best choice for a new Kansas City regime that must upgrade over Matt Cassel and Brady Quinn under center.

Trade it if you can, although highly unlikely with the crap that is in this draft... They'd be better off taking a lineman then drafting Geno Smith!

They have a good defense, maybe grab the best D player and try to win like the 2000 ravens.

1. Kansas City Chiefs: Tyler Wilson, QB, Arkansas

In Andy Reids first draft with the Philadelphia Eagles in 1999, they selected Donovan McNabb with the No. 2 overall pick. Reid is now the Kansas City Chiefs head coach, and unless the Chiefs pursue a veteran quarterback via trade or free agency, his new team will likely take the same strategy in finding their next signal-caller.

Geno Smith is considered by most as the top quarterback in this class, but his stock could be about to fall, due to some serious flaws were exposed in his game over the second half of his senior season. While this class lacks an elite quarterback, the best choice as a No. 1 overall pick would be Arkansas Tyler Wilson, who is the most sound all-around downfield pocket passer in the class.

Wilson has the tools to be a very solid starting quarterback at the next level, and looks like the best choice for a new Kansas City regime that must upgrade over Matt Cassel and Brady Quinn under center.

I think it's more likely KC trades/signs a QB (Alex Smith? Flynn?) than wasting the #1 overall pick on a guy that's arguably a mid-first round talent. That's all this QB class has to offer. Not saying you might not strike gold with one of them, but it's a lot more likely that the big OT from A&M is a legit stud and anchors your line for the next decade.

McNabb was unanimously considered a Top 3 pick in that draft. None of this years QB are that highly regarded.

In one of the weakest drafts in a while -- go with the can't miss player in Manti Te'o

1. Chiefs - OT Luke Joekel, Texas A&M

2. Jaguars - DE Damontre Moore, Texas A&M

3. Raiders - CB Dee Millner, Alabama

4. Eagles - QB, Geno Smith, WV

5. Lions - Chance Warmack, Alabama

6. Browns - Bjoern Werner, Fla St

7. Cardinals - QB Matt Barkley, USC

8. Bills - LB Alec Ogletree, Georgia

9. Jets - LB Jarvis Jones, Georgia

10. Titans - DE Ezekiel Ansah, BYU

11. Chargers - DE Dion Jordan, Oregon

12. Dolphins - DT Star Lotulelei, Utah

13. Buccaneers - Terrance Williams, Baylor

14. Panthers - OT DJ Fluker, Alabama

15. Saints - SS Kenny Vacaro, Texas

16. Rams - OT Eric Fisher, Cent Mich

17. Steelers - DT Sheldon Richardson, Missou

18. Cowboys - LB Manti Te'o, Notre Dame

20. Bears - RB Eddie Lacey, Alabama

21. Bengals - DE Barkevious Mingo, LSU

22. Rams - WR Keenan Allen, California

23. Vikings - DT Sharrif Floyd, Florida

24. Colts - WR Denadre Hopkins, Clemson

25. Seahawks - TE Zach Ertz, Stanford

26. Packers - CB Johnthan Banks, Miss St

27. Texans - TE Tyler Eifert, Notre Dame

28. Broncos - DT Kawann SHort, Purdue

29. Patriots - DT John Jenkins, Georgia

30. Falcons - DT Johnathan Hankins, Ohio St

31. 49ers - DE Sam Montgomery, LSU

32. Ravens - C Travis Frederick, Wisc

If the Eagles take Geno Smith at #4, I may stop being a fan. That would be an AWFUL pick that high.

I really see absolutely ZERO reason that the Chiefs or any team in the top 5 (or top 10 or top 15) should draft a QB this year. There is no QB that is even close to worthy of that pick. It's a complete crapshoot between Wilson, Smith, Barkley, and maybe even some others.

Teams can take the best player available in the first round and then still land a Barkley, Smith, or Wilson with their 2nd round pick. Or they can trade up to the late 1st round to take one of them if they REALLY like somone.

If the Eagles take Geno Smith at #4, I may stop being a fan. That would be an AWFUL pick that high.

I think he falls, and I think the Iggles fall for him too. I think they look at Kaepernick, Luck, RGIII and Wilson and see the future of the position. They need not run all the time, and RG III in particular needs to be a bit more selective about it. The thing these guys force you to do is account for the QB, defensively this is a horrible task to perform.

Even when you play Brady or Manning, you really do not need to account for them escaping the pocket to run on you. The mere threat of it is enough to justify going with the pick where the Iggles may have it. I think they keep Vick for a bit too, to perform in this role, teach Smith how to work it, and eventually back up the younger guy too.

JMHO

I think he falls, and I think the Iggles fall for him too. I think they look at Kaepernick, Luck, RGIII and Wilson and see the future of the position. They need not run all the time, and RG III in particular needs to be a bit more selective about it. The thing these guys force you to do is account for the QB, defensively this is a horrible task to perform.

Even when you play Brady or Manning, you really do not need to account for them escaping the pocket to run on you. The mere threat of it is enough to justify going with the pick where the Iggles may have it. I think they keep Vick for a bit too, to perform in this role, teach Smith how to work it, and eventually back up the younger guy too.

JMHO

The thing is, all the QB's you mentioned above (Kaep, Wilson, RG3, and even Luck) showed a lot more running ability in college than Geno Smith ever did. That's not to say Geno Smith isn't a good athlete or a mobile QB, but he is a pocket passer first. It seems he will often attempt to force a throw over trying to run the ball at times. He's good at extending plays and avoiding the rush, but I don't know if he really scares defenses with his legs.

I just think that there is no clear cut top QB in this class. I could see Wilson, Smith, Barkley, or even some others turning out to be the best of this class. Smith scares me because he's struggled in poor weather at times (especially the bowl game vs Syracuse). I think you can still get one or more of these guys in the late 1st round or early 2nd round. I think teams would be much better served taking a safer guy in the top 5 (Joekel or Millner for the Eagles) and then trading up in to the late 1st round (or waiting until their 2nd round pick) if they really like a QB there.

I think keeping Vick would be very foolish as well unless he restructures his deal. I don't think he will though because he wants to be the clear cut starter somewhere.

Colts are not taking a WR in the first round. I would actually pass out if they did. Too many other big needs.

The thing is, all the QB's you mentioned above (Kaep, Wilson, RG3, and even Luck) showed a lot more running ability in college than Geno Smith ever did. That's not to say Geno Smith isn't a good athlete or a mobile QB, but he is a pocket passer first. It seems he will often attempt to force a throw over trying to run the ball at times. He's good at extending plays and avoiding the rush, but I don't know if he really scares defenses with his legs.

I just think that there is no clear cut top QB in this class. I could see Wilson, Smith, Barkley, or even some others turning out to be the best of this class. Smith scares me because he's struggled in poor weather at times (especially the bowl game vs Syracuse). I think you can still get one or more of these guys in the late 1st round or early 2nd round. I think teams would be much better served taking a safer guy in the top 5 (Joekel or Millner for the Eagles) and then trading up in to the late 1st round (or waiting until their 2nd round pick) if they really like a QB there.

I think keeping Vick would be very foolish as well unless he restructures his deal. I don't think he will though because he wants to be the clear cut starter somewhere.

I don't think he really needs to be at their level, he needs to only have the threat to do it, the ability to step out of the pocket and run, not as well as the aforementioned QB's, but simply well. If you simply have the threat, it opens options up to the offense.

I don't think he really needs to be at their level, he needs to only have the threat to do it, the ability to step out of the pocket and run, not as well as the aforementioned QB's, but simply well. If you simply have the threat, it opens options up to the offense.

I'll agree with that. I guess I'd secretly (or not so secretly :ninja:) like to see the Eagles continue to build around the QB position, bottom out this season again, and then do whatever it takes to draft Johnny Manziel.

Colts are not taking a WR in the first round. I would actually pass out if they did. Too many other big needs.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them take a WR in Round 1. Wayne is on his last legs, Collie is gone, Avery is a free agent and Hilton is a 2nd year WR so if they can't resign Avery, it wouldn't be a shock to see them go get one at the end of round 1 although they really need to fix their o-line and D 1st.

:lol:

I was on an Eagles forum and all anyone was talking about was that they may take Geno Smith. I told my fiance if that happens I'm abandoning ship and I need to find another team to support. Thinking about Atlanta maybe. I have nothing against Atlanta. Maybe just leave the NFC altogether and get behind the Colts? There is only so much a human can take and if they draft Geno Smith in the number 4 spot, my relationship with the Eagles is over.

:lol:

I'll agree with that. I guess I'd secretly (or not so secretly :ninja:) like to see the Eagles continue to build around the QB position, bottom out this season again, and then do whatever it takes to draft Johnny Manziel.

That's exactly what they need to do. With the amount of rebuilding that is needed, to take a gamble on an OK QB with the 4th pick would be beyond asinine and make Andy Reid look like a draft day genius in hindsight. I realize you posted this a few weeks ago, but especially considering the recent moves, I can't fathom them going for Geno Smith. QB is not exactly the biggest problem the Eagles are facing right now. It's not like they can bring some QB and that is going to be the difference maker. They are not in a position to gamble with their first round pick.

If the Eagles aren't going to gble at 4 I hate to say it but the BAP at 4 will be OG Womack.

If the Eagles aren't going to gble at 4 I hate to say it but the BAP at 4 will be OG Womack.

I honestly would be fine with Warmack. He might be the safest pick in the draft and the most likely to be a perennial pro bowler. The only reason he isn't projected as a top 5 pick very often is because the NFL devalues the Guard position. But he's still being ranked as a top 10 player in the draft, which just shows how good he is/can be. He's massive but also moves very well for his size.

I really don't think they can screw this pick up unless they take a QB at #4 in a draft that may not have a QB that should go in the top 20 or top 30 even.

I'd be fine with Joeckel, Warmack, Millner, E.Fisher, Lotulelei.

I honestly would be fine with Warmack. He might be the safest pick in the draft and the most likely to be a perennial pro bowler. The only reason he isn't projected as a top 5 pick very often is because the NFL devalues the Guard position. But he's still being ranked as a top 10 player in the draft, which just shows how good he is/can be. He's massive but also moves very well for his size.

I really don't think they can screw this pick up unless they take a QB at #4 in a draft that may not have a QB that should go in the top 20 or top 30 even.

I'd be fine with Joeckel, Warmack, Millner, E.Fisher, Lotulelei.

Joeckel or Star top my list. Either one would be great additions. After that I guess Womack.

Milliner would IMO be almost as much of a reach as Geno.

Manti Te'o appears to be headed for another nose dive. 4.8 in the 40?? He's shorter and lighter than advertised and throw in the poor performance against Alabama. If I were him, I'd stay away from Radio City Music Hall...he's a 2nd-3rd rounder at this point. Unless.........Clowny takes him!!

Manti Te'o appears to be headed for another nose dive. 4.8 in the 40?? He's shorter and lighter than advertised and throw in the poor performance against Alabama. If I were him, I'd stay away from Radio City Music Hall...he's a 2nd-3rd rounder at this point. Unless.........Clowny takes him!!

I can't see any way he falls past Baltimore at 32.

I can't see any way he falls past Baltimore at 32.

I hope you're wrong, this could be good television watching him plummett like fellow ND alum Brady Quinn did.

This of all years is the one to TRADE DOWN if you are KC and I mean down to like mid to mid low 1st round for a 1st rounder next year and more picks. Sorry Geno Smith is not nearly as great as people think and was vastly exposed when faced with a solid D.

The Raiders would bite -- I would trade the #1 and my 3rd for the Raiders #3 and the Raiders 1st rounder next year and their 5th this year.

You will get a better player likely this year and a top 10 pick next year

Joeckel or Star top my list. Either one would be great additions. After that I guess Womack.

Milliner would IMO be almost as much of a reach as Geno.

Well Star Lotulelei may be falling now depending how bad his heart condition is.

Joeckel would be an easy pick if he fell to #4, but with it looking like the Chiefs will acquire Alex Smith, I can't see them not taking Joeckel.

As far as Milliner goes, both Scouts Inc and Kiper have him as the 5th best prospect in this draft. I think he is going to be a good pro no matter what. But I think he has room to get even better. I like his physicality and toughness. He played through a shoulder injury this past season that will require surgery. But assuming that is done in early March, and has a two month recovery time, he should be back in plenty of time for training camp. We will see how he does at the combine tomorrow though. Could be a fit for the Eagles assuming Nnamdi and/or DRC are cut/not resigned.

So, we have QB Alex Smith in the fold (assuming the trade occurs on March 12th), WR Dwayne Bowe signed to a 5-year deal and OT Brandon Albert franchised. This gives the Chiefs a lot more flexibility with the No. 1 pick and gives them leverage in case anybody does covet Joeckel or Geno Smith at No. 1. They may still take Joeckel but they don't have to.

Matt Cassel will be released as will DT Tyson Jackson (restructured deal is a possibility for Jackson) clearing roughly $21 million in cap room for the signees and Alex Smith.

Biggest need areas (IMO) include QB, WR, CB, and DL. The tagging of Albert keeps everyone in play from Luke Joeckel, Geno Smith, Dee Milliner and a handful of Defensive Lineman. I personally wouldn't mind them picking Geno Smith or any other QB they think highly of at No. 1. The position is too important. But, trading down and perhaps picking up a second-round pick they will lose for Alex Smith is likely their ideal situation. How about trading down with the Jets in the first round in a deal for CB Darrelle Revis? So many options, but if forced to make the pick at No 1. I'll go out on a limb and say it's CB Dee Milliner... as of right now.

This is gong to make the FFT Draft Contest fun!