Sign in to follow this  
Voltaire

Noooooo! Don't do it!

http://www.freep.com/article/20130328/SPORTS01/130328056/Lions-bringing-kicker-David-Akers-visit

Has there been a kicker in the last fifteen years that had a worse season than David Akers 2012? We're going to go from the league's best kicker to it's worst. We just dumped a putrid punter. Stay the fock away.

I've seen some really bad football teams but we've always had a top shelf kicker. Hanson's been around forever. Before him, Eddie Murry was around forever. We never had a QB worth beans until Matt Stafford, but we've always had awesome kickers.

I haven't been this horrified since the Red Wings brought in Mike Keenan to interview for their head coaching job -which thank God- did not happen.

http://www.freep.com/article/20130328/SPORTS01/130328056/Lions-bringing-kicker-David-Akers-visit

Has there been a kicker in the last fifteen years that had a worse season than David Akers 2012? We're going to go from the league's best kicker to it's worst. We just dumped a putrid punter. Stay the fock away.

Mason Crosby had a worse FG % last year.

Hell, I thought this thread was going to be about Darrius Heyward-Bust. I hear he's headed to Motown looking for a deal after being unceremoniously turned away by Indy.

Get him on your team and you'll never even think about complaining about a kicker.

Why'd DET dump old man Hanson? He was pretty good last year iirc.

They didn't dump him. He was contemplating retirement and just recently said he would like to come back. Detroit wants him back, but not at Hanson's asking price. And Akers was injured last year...the year before he was unbelievable.

Hell, I thought this thread was going to be about Darrius Heyward-Bust. I hear he's headed to Motown looking for a deal after being unceremoniously turned away by Indy.

Get him on your team and you'll never even think about complaining about a kicker.

I wouldn't mind him. The guys has four year in and has never broken out. Since he was a #9 overall pick, he's a bust. But that's Oakland's problem. I remember everybody was shocked he went ahead of Crabtree and it seems the general consensus was right on him. What if he had been a 3-5th rounder though? He's good enough. At least he'd come cheap and could at least draw coverage away from CJ with his uber-speed. Plus he doesn't get hurt which is nice since Detroit is a magnet for gimps. The Lions need a WR, one who can take the top off the defense helps. Why not DHB?

Why'd DET dump old man Hanson? He was pretty good last year iirc.

The Lions want him back and he's weighed retirement and decided against it. Why he's not under contract yet is a mystery. I don't know what they're doing with Akers. If you need a camp leg, just get an undrafted 22 y/o. Few college seniors had a worse year than Akers did, take any of them. We plugged in Dave Rayner a few years ago when Hanson got dinged, they just pulled him off the street, he stepped right in and didn't miss a beat. I'd call him in a heartbeat.

Akers use to be good, but he's 38 and royally sucked last year- beyond dismal.

I'll be interested to see how this news affects the next edition of weepaw's kicker rankings.

Every time I read that it just keeps getting funnier. Well played sir. :thumbsup:

Why not DHB?

Because the guy can't catch a cold.

I've seen some really bad football teams but we've always had a top shelf kicker. Hanson's been around forever. Before him, Eddie Murry was around forever. We never had a QB worth beans until Matt Stafford, but we've always had awesome kickers.

I haven't been this horrified since the Red Wings brought in Mike Keenan to interview for their head coaching job -which thank God- did not happen.

Sorry Voltaire, looks like they did it. As a Niner fan I offer my condolences. "Lions agreed to terms with K David Akers, formerly of the 49ers."

i dont see the big deal. wasn't this guy money 2 years ago? and pretty solid his entire career? even if last year means he is now done (especially with being up there in age) i cant imagine this will kill the lions season. sure they will find other ways to do that

Sorry Voltaire, looks like they did it. As a Niner fan I offer my condolences. "Lions agreed to terms with K David Akers, formerly of the 49ers."

:wall: :cry:

Let's hope that pelvis injury is the reason he was putrid last season.

I'm 41, I've no memory of the Lions PK before Eddie Murray. And we transitioned from him directly to Hanson. We've had one of the league's premier kickers my entire lifetime. We're in for a rude awakening. Detroit fans can be brutal to our own when we have sucktastic players in high-profile positions on the hometeam. See Tim Chevadae :mad: and Bob Essenza :mad: as Red Wings goalie and Scott Mitchell :mad: as Lions QB.

FYI...Hanson retired because his heel was still bothering him. He said every time he tried to push it, it started acting up again. Had nothing to do with money or the Lions not wanting him.

I don't understand why DET didn't come back to Hanson with at least a fair offer. Seems to me Hanson probably would've signed for about what Akers took. To think he was 32 of 36 last year with a long of 53 - just doesn't make much sense to me.

EDIT: I did not know this was due to injury

The Lions have a long, long track record of losing games they should have won, but fockups by our kicker being responsible for that are very rare. The Houston game last year -but we also benefited from a missed kick- I don't recall too many others. Jason Hanson was always the most reliable part of the team.

When the chips are down, there's always a way to fold. Scott Mitchell was a master of this, he always found a new and creative way to lose games that nobody ever witnessed before. I figure our new disaster Akers, the NFL's worst PK, will continue the tradition and snatch defeat from the jaws of victory three or four times next season.

Dood. You're getting pretty worked up over a kicker.

Also, David Akers is da bomb. For realz. I mean I went on some tirade a few years ago when he missed two FGs in probably the last playoff game the Eagles have seen, but he was automatic Akers for a long freaking time. He was hurt this past year. And also he is a warrior. He would always get in trouble because he would not just sit back and kick the ball, he would try to get in on the action and the dude has probably made more tackles than any other kicker in the NFL. That's just a guess.

Also he is a class act and super cool dude:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/philadelphia/eagles-david-akers-says-thanks-philadelphia-95-billboard-172855907.html

Dood. You're getting pretty worked up over a kicker.

Also, David Akers is da bomb. For realz. I mean I went on some tirade a few years ago when he missed two FGs in probably the last playoff game the Eagles have seen, but he was automatic Akers for a long freaking time. He was hurt this past year. And also he is a warrior. He would always get in trouble because he would not just sit back and kick the ball, he would try to get in on the action and the dude has probably made more tackles than any other kicker in the NFL. That's just a guess.

Also he is a class act and super cool dude:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/philadelphia/eagles-david-akers-says-thanks-philadelphia-95-billboard-172855907.html

ETA: In our dynasty league... last year I drafted Henery as my kicker. Mostly on account of the Eagles' inability to score in the red zone. Then later in the draft I took Akers as my second kicker. Because of me not paying attention, the Eagles and the Niners had the same bye week and I realized my fock up so I made a deal with someone else (maybe VOR) that he would draft a second kicker and we'd just trade kickers. I think I ended up with Hanson TBH. Or maybe it was someone else, but I feel like it was Hanson. Last year Akers far and away scored more fantasy points than any other kicker in the league by a lot and I did a bit of a personal analysis and I think I may have won the championship if I had kept Akers. He was hurt this past year. I think your freaking out, especially over a kicker, is kinda OTT.

ETA: In our dynasty league... last year I drafted Henery as my kicker. Mostly on account of the Eagles' inability to score in the red zone. Then later in the draft I took Akers as my second kicker. Because of me not paying attention, the Eagles and the Niners had the same bye week and I realized my fock up so I made a deal with someone else (maybe VOR) that he would draft a second kicker and we'd just trade kickers. I think I ended up with Hanson TBH. Or maybe it was someone else, but I feel like it was Hanson. Last year Akers far and away scored more fantasy points than any other kicker in the league by a lot and I did a bit of a personal analysis and I think I may have won the championship if I had kept Akers. He was hurt this past year. I think your freaking out, especially over a kicker, is kinda OTT.

I don't know if it's all about Akers. He has to replace a legend. In Detroit, we're spoiled. Yes, I just said Lions fans are spoiled and I did so with a straight face. But only in this one regard. Like I watch the Steelers and some other teams that go for 4th and 5 at the 33 and I just :lol: . To a Lions fan, once you cross the 40 yard line, you're in field goal range and if you wind up at 4th down, you're going to kick it. By the time you get to the 33 yard line we consider that an automatic three points. Going for it on 4th down at the 33 is the dumbest thing in the world. Thanks to 21 years of Hanson and another 15 before that of Eddie Murray, to me, it's always been that way forever. This ridiculous bullsh*t has always been somebody else's problem.

Until now. Now those days are gone. We go from Hanson who hits pretty much everything all the time no matter how far out to a guy that missed 1/3 of his tries and who I felt was the worst kicker in the league last season long before I knew he was leaving SF let alone being linked to Detroit. :cry: Gimme that guy in Pittsburgh I was laughing at a couple of months ago instead.

They just signed Kickalicious as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jDwbjHV8jLo

hah was just coming to post this.

i dont get whats so impressive about an edited video like this. wow he can kick a ball and a guy can run and catch it :wacko:

The most important thing is he has to make the routine kicks consistently. He has a big leg. Can he be a punter or PK (or dare I dream both, the Lions have blackholes at both position). I mean if you have ten tries with a video camera, ou can hit one. What you need is to make the easier ones but with only one single chance.