Sign in to follow this  
The Football Guru

Instant Analysis - Tavon Austin

I'll be anxious to find out what the Rams needed to give up, but Austin essentially fills the void left behind by Danny Amendola. It also suggests the team has plenty of confidence in Brian Quick. Austin's incredible speed and sharp cuts should play incredibly well indoors in the Edward Jones Dome. Austin should contend for the team lead in receptions, receiving yards and TDs in his rookie season while also giving the Rams a big boost in the return game. Fantasy-wise, Austin's floor should be a WR4 in all leagues, with definite WR3 upside (in 12-team leagues).

Right now we're looking at a receiving lineup of Brian Quick, Chris Givens, Tavon Austin and TE Jared Cook. I would agree, Austin will get a slight bump in PPR leagues.

Who knows if he can handle the gruel of the nfl schedule...personally I won't be drafting him unless I get him in one of the last 3 rounds

PPR gold!

I don't know much about the kid, is he a ppr guy or a Deshawn Jackson type?

I don't know much about the kid, is he a ppr guy or a Deshawn Jackson type?

More PPR for sure. I just worry about his size.

Worth taking a chance on.

Who knows if he can handle the gruel of the nfl schedule...personally I won't be drafting him unless I get him in one of the last 3 rounds

Then you won't be drafting him. Tavon Austin is an explosive play maker that will step into Danny Amendola's spot and see a high target rate and can take short passes to the house. He might get a touch or two in the run game also. If you get points for punt returns TDs he might get you a couple of those also.

I recognize Austin is of slight build and most of us that own him in fantasy at some point will cringe whenever he takes a hit. But the fact of the matter is that he rarely ever takes a big-enough hit to jar him. It was eye-opening to watch Austin and Patterson throughout this process; I have a hard time remembering the last time I saw two WRs in the same draft so elusive.

Austin is a kid from Baltimore who still holds a handful of state records, he was always a fast and shifty kid who relied on his athletic gifts to shine, and which enabled him to shine brightly. He was the perfect fit for the gimmicky offense at West Virginia, and performed well in his role; just put the ball into his hands and let him try to slice up a team on the fringe.

Unfortunately, that bubble-gum style of play at WV does not translate well into the NFL so he might have some early growing pains, but if he applies himself and develops he could be a dastardly weapon.

He was the perfect fit for the gimmicky offense at West Virginia, and performed well in his role; just put the ball into his hands and let him try to slice up a team on the fringe.

The issue I had watching his film was that some of the cuts and holes he escaped through were unreal. Some of the most ridiculous plays I've seen at the college level. One of the most elusive guys I've seen.

However I don't think those same holes will be open in the NFL for him. Can he excel catching the ball in the slot and turning up field consistently?

Or he could be Travis Best 2.0....

He has to understand the physicality of the NFL. Don't try to play 'bigger' than you are. Learn to 'avoid' impact hits and he'll be aOkay.

The issue I had watching his film was that some of the cuts and holes he escaped through were unreal. Some of the most ridiculous plays I've seen at the college level. One of the most elusive guys I've seen.

However I don't think those same holes will be open in the NFL for him. Can he excel catching the ball in the slot and turning up field consistently?

I think your concern is valid, and time will tell. I think he needs to become a more decisive player in the NFL, the shifty nature of his play did work well in the college ranks, but will not likely translate well to the NFL where defenders can close quickly and swarm you if you do anything other than north-south.

If you can feed him the ball past 10 yards he is a home run threat with every possession in general.

Darren Sproles 2.0

He's going to be electric in the NFL.

I'm excited to see what happens with him. I think he's a much better fantasy fit on St Louis than he would have been on the Jets for sure. Some of my doom and gloom about Austin comes from that perspective as I was worried we would take him and he would totally bust with us. I don't feel that to be the case in St Louis.

Anyway regarding Sproles he's 5'6 190. Extremely compact and tough to to find like Rice/MJD.

Austin is 5'9 174. Pretty much an exact mold, body wise, of DeShean Jackson. A player who isn't known for going over the middle with any success, has had cracked ribs, concussion issues and whose rushes per season, and production in general, have been on a declining trend.

He isn't the same player but I can't help but think he might struggle with some of the same issues. Could be totally wrong but that was my feeling as to why I didn't want to Jets to reach for him when there were 10+ wrs that might be impact players.

Premature ejaculation... He will be this years best value in ppr leagues that give points for return yardage/TD's. Today's poosified NFL is the perfect storm for a guy like Austin... They will get him the ball in space. He also reportedly has a very good character.

Homer here.

The kid has never missed a game in high school or college. That's 8 years. He's not anymore an injury risk than any receiver on the board.

Figure Austin will add 10 pounds of muscle fairly soon. At that size, he'll be more "solid" than Davone Bess, who missed the first three games of his five-year career this past season. Bess is slower and a lot less elusive than Austin.

Or he could be Travis Best 2.0....

He has to understand the physicality of the NFL. Don't try to play 'bigger' than you are. Learn to 'avoid' impact hits and he'll be aOkay.

I'm confident in saying that Tavon Austin WILL NOT be Travis Best 2.0

Unless he gets drafted in June by an NBA team.