Sign in to follow this  
nerf chucker

Steve Smith (CAR) vs. Reggie Wayne (IND)

It's the battle of the aging wide receivers. Both are #1 WRs on their respective teams. Both are 34 and near the end of their runs. Both have reportedly looked good during preseason. Both are predicted by the so-called experts to have 1000 yard seasons with 5-6 touchdowns. Both are being listed in the 20-25 range for best wide receivers available. Both have good quarterbacks throwing to them and somewhat mediocre running games.

Which player do you have more confidence in to succeed in 2013?

Cam is not a great passer so I would not put much into Smith. If Smith were 28 again I wouldn't be concerned about Cams lack of passing prowess.

I am not too keen on either because of their age and both starting off white hot and then having a steep decline in production. I still would take Wayne over Smith. I like the value of Hilton and DHB better than Wayne.

Agree with both posters above. Even though Wayne is getting up there in age he is still #1 option for the Colts and Luck is a much better passer than Cam is.

Wayne for me. I trust his QB more. Agree on Hilton at his ADP as well.

I agree with this. Though I'm somewhat partial after watching Wayne catch what seemed like 15 passes in a row against the Packers last season.

Owned Wayne last year and he faded completely down the stretch as Luck started spreading it around. I expect more of the same of Luck spreading it around.

I will take Smith over Wayne in a heartbeat

I like Reggie, but Steve Smith is like Stephen Davis, plus it's the same franchise. THAT'S CRAY

It's the battle of the aging wide receivers. Both are #1 WRs on their respective teams. Both are 34 and near the end of their runs. Both have reportedly looked good during preseason. Both are predicted by the so-called experts to have 1000 yard seasons with 5-6 touchdowns. Both are being listed in the 20-25 range for best wide receivers available. Both have good quarterbacks throwing to them and somewhat mediocre running games.

Which player do you have more confidence in to succeed in 2013?

r wayne not even close

wayne avg points more per game last season. its not close for me at all its wayne

People that are saying Luck is a better passer aren't correct.

Stats:

Luck 2012:

6.9 yd/attempt

1 td/27.26 attempts

1 int/34.8 attempts

Newton 2011:

7.8 yd/attempt

1 td/25.52 attempts

1 int/30.4 attempts

Newton 2012:

7.97 yd/attempt

1 td/ 24.6 attempts

1 int/40.4 attempts

I doubt Luck will throw so much again, but cam is clearly more efficient. I would take Smith. No clear number 2 wr, while Luck will be more likely to spread it around. They'll probably end up with similar stats though.

People that are saying Luck is a better passer aren't correct.

Stats:

Luck 2012:

6.9 yd/attempt

1 td/27.26 attempts

1 int/34.8 attempts

Newton 2011:

7.8 yd/attempt

1 td/25.52 attempts

1 int/30.4 attempts

Newton 2012:

7.97 yd/attempt

1 td/ 24.6 attempts

1 int/40.4 attempts

I doubt Luck will throw so much again, but cam is clearly more efficient. I would take Smith. No clear number 2 wr, while Luck will be more likely to spread it around. They'll probably end up with similar stats though.

Stats don't tell the whole story IMO.

I'm not sure who posts a better line out of the WRS but Luck is a far superior passer IMO.

Stats don't tell the whole story IMO.

I'm not sure who posts a better line out of the WRS but Luck is a far superior passer IMO.

No idea how QBR is formed but FWIW:

Luck's was 65 last year.

Newton has posted 55 and 54.2

Cam is not a great passer so I would not put much into Smith. If Smith were 28 again I wouldn't be concerned about Cams lack of passing prowess.

I am not too keen on either because of their age and both starting off white hot and then having a steep decline in production. I still would take Wayne over Smith. I like the value of Hilton and DHB better than Wayne.

Which is it? Cam's not a good passer or Smith is getting too old?

I feel it's quite ridiculous to say Cam is not a good passer. He just pretty much had the two best regular seasons stat wise in NFL QB history. I don't think Steve Smith has lost much either. I don't like Smith in this new offense scheme quite as much, but Cam will find him. Luck has better accuracy IMO, but will likely share the ball around more. With the emerging TY Hilton and pick up of Heyward-Bey, I give Smith the edge over Wayne.

wayne avg points more per game last season. its not close for me at all its wayne

You may want to check out Waynes 2nd half pts per game then reevaluate. IDK what Smiths was but Wayne was a footnote in the Indy offense by years end

This is a good thread. I don't get to see any Panther games, but I feel like Smith is more of a long ball WR. They do what they can to get him the ball, but he's not the possession receiver that Wayne is. Wayne is going to be the guy that Luck defaults when it's 3rd and 8, while Cam is just as likely to run for that first down as he is to pass it.

Someone tell me I'm wrong...I really haven't watched enough Panther games over the last few years to know whether my thoughts are correct.

My top targeted undervalued players the last two years. Wayne last year and Smith the year before. This year they're OK, but neither is undervalued so they won't be on my team.

No idea how QBR is formed but FWIW:

Luck's was 65 last year.

Newton has posted 55 and 54.2 Idea

No idea, Cam's completion percentage was better both years too.

It'll likely come down to which defense sucks more. Colts or Panthers... Which D will have their O behind late and throwing like crazy.

You may want to check out Waynes 2nd half pts per game then reevaluate. IDK what Smiths was but Wayne was a footnote in the Indy offense by years end

I don't expect Wayne to go gangbusters like early last year, and won't be surprised if he and Hilton finish out about the same(or better), but I think the 2nd half downturn is over stated. I read a bunch of football guy game recaps and it seems Indy really struggled against Houston's pass rush last year and that impacted Wayne.

Last 8 games

8-96

7-72

8-102

4-51

6-64-1

3-14 Houston

5-81-1

4-12 Houston

Playoffs

9-114

• Like 1

I don't expect Wayne to go gangbusters like early last year, and won't be surprised if he and Hilton finish out about the same(or better), but I think the 2nd half downturn is over stated. I read a bunch of football guy game recaps and it seems Indy really struggled against Houston's pass rush last year and that impacted Wayne.

Last 8 games

8-96

7-72

8-102

4-51

6-64-1

3-14 Houston

5-81-1

4-12 Houston

Playoffs

9-114

Guess better than I thought.