Sign in to follow this  
BingoBrown

Thursday Night Results - Do they affect your lineup decisions for Sunday?

Just curious as to whether people change their strategy for Sunday based on the outcome of the Thursday night game, assuming either you or your opponent had players in that game.

Personally, I'm going up against an opponent that has Peyton and Demaryius this week, while I have Prater. If my opponent has a big night, I might feel the need to play a home run hitter like Mike Wallace or Lamar Miller (OP Flex spot), whereas if he has a poor night, I might choose to go conservative, going for the more guaranteed points I'd get from Miles Austin or Alex Smith.

Not sure if this strategy is sound, as we all want to score the most possible points every week, but clearly there are some players that are more boom-or-bust, and if I feel like I may not need the boom, it might be safer to go with a more sure option.

it shouldn't, but i'd be lying to you if i said i didn't think about it... if an opponent's player goes off i may consider dropping a boom/bust type player in there to see if i can somehow right the ship.

sidenote: It seemed as if Thursday night games were a deadzone in terms of fantasy production last year... opening thursday is a little different because they aren't faced with a short week, but i may pay closer attention to who i'm starting based on thursday night games this year

sidenote: It seemed as if Thursday night games were a deadzone in terms of fantasy production last year... opening thursday is a little different because they aren't faced with a short week, but i may pay closer attention to who i'm starting based on thursday night games this year

I'll be quite interested to see if this trend continues this year. There seemed to be a lot of data that people got together last year to show just how much worse guys perform on Thursday night games.

Last year Thursday night games were pretty bad for players. Fantasy wise it seemed like there was a drop in points normally for the players. I tried playing around the Thursday night games and not start someone who played then. It usually worked out cause they always didn't do too well lol. However studs like Demaryius Thomas or ray rice for this Thursday game should be played and always be played regardless of when or who they play

I hate starting players on Thursday's just for the simple reason if things go south you have to sit with that feeling for a few days. Obviously it can go the other way. If I have two similar players and one is on Monday and the other Thursday I choose the former. I understand this is in no way sound advise but at least I always have hope on Monday night.

Yes it can have an affect.

One of my opponents has Torrey Smith in the flex. We are pretty close at the other positions. If he has a big game, I may put a bigger upside player in the flex, a player who in my gut is not the best player available in an equal setting.

I have Peyton on one of my teams and if he goes off, i may be able to go with a more risk flex like Thompkins than Sidney Rice who is more proven and is the #1 WR in Seattle but is going against the #5 team against WRs Panthers.

Yes it can have an affect.

One of my opponents has Torrey Smith in the flex. We are pretty close at the other positions. If he has a big game, I may put a bigger upside player in the flex, a player who in my gut is not the best player available in an equal setting.

I have Peyton on one of my teams and if he goes off, i may be able to go with a more risk flex like Thompkins than Sidney Rice who is more proven and is the #1 WR in Seattle but is going against the #5 team against WRs Panthers.

Side note: He shouldn't play his flex on Thursday. If something goes wrong with another player, then he had more options on Sunday.

Just curious as to whether people change their strategy for Sunday based on the outcome of the Thursday night game, assuming either you or your opponent had players in that game.

Personally, I'm going up against an opponent that has Peyton and Demaryius this week, while I have Prater. If my opponent has a big night, I might feel the need to play a home run hitter like Mike Wallace or Lamar Miller (OP Flex spot), whereas if he has a poor night, I might choose to go conservative, going for the more guaranteed points I'd get from Miles Austin or Alex Smith.

Not sure if this strategy is sound, as we all want to score the most possible points every week, but clearly there are some players that are more boom-or-bust, and if I feel like I may not need the boom, it might be safer to go with a more sure option

i would just play the best guys you have

you should never base your lineup on what day they play or what your opponent is doing. play the guys you think will score the most and be consistent with that every week. If you end up losing more often than not then maybe you should could consider hanging up your fantasy cleats

Not really. Sometimes I'll shift strategies if my opponents players go off and I need to go for maximum potential (versus safer plays) to have a shot at beating him. But this will more often come in to play on Monday night games where most of our respective rosters have already played.

you should never base your lineup on what day they play or what your opponent is doing. play the guys you think will score the most and be consistent with that every week. If you end up losing more often than not then maybe you should could consider hanging up your fantasy cleats

Disagree... strongly.

Information is there for your use... why not use it? Do you also ignore the weather?

I think people over think their lineups sometimes... I would just go with who you think will perform the best..

The Thursday night performance thing may have been a coincidence a season ago... not sure I would put a lot of weight in that trend.

Agree with most, if the info is there, use it the best you can.

However, a note to the OP. Start Lamar Miller no matter what happens tonight. hth

It definitely has an effect on whether or not I make changes. For example: Let's say my opponent has a wide receiver playing tonight that blows up for 13 receptions, 140 yards and a TD. If I think I need to take a risk, I may swap out my 3rd WR who I normally only count on for "average" points with a WR who is a total boom or bust candidate. This is only in the instance of someone going off unexpectedly on the opposing team though, which doesn't happen very often.

Just went back to look at my reply to this. I freaking hate starting guys on Thursday nights. Have Ridley tonight and now I have to sulk for the next few days. No more! I don't care who is playing who, I am done starting people on Thursday nights...

Disagree... strongly.

Information is there for your use... why not use it? Do you also ignore the weather?

Well said

Yes. Definitely. Had Peyton on 2 teams and was against him on 2 others, so this definitely had some affect on my lineups. Could take less risk on teams where I had him and had to go for more upside on teams that were against him. In particular, I started Jordy Nelson on 1 team despite his subpar efforts against the Niners last year because I had to go for broke and it did pay off.