Sign in to follow this  
GS3K

Edelman Visits Revis Island?

With the recent criticism of the Buc's use of Revis on their otherwise stout defense do you think that the Bucs will allow him to play more man coverage on an opponent? The situation is confusing but if the Bucs stick Revis on Edelman it seems to me like that's a better use of their personnel.

I'm just wondering if anybody has any insight to the situation as I am in a P.P.R. league that rewards return yards and Edelman would absolutely feast on zone coverage but if he's got Revis on him then I'm pretty sure he's going to put up a doughnut in the receiving department.

Good point thanks for bringing this to my attention. I may consider sitting Brady and Edelman this week. If Edelman is locked up then who the heck is gonna catch a ball for NE?

Another thing worth a mention, didn't Tampa hold the Saints to just 13 points! I think I will sit my Pat players for one more week and then when Gronk/amendola comes back it will be time to Release the Kracken! Or the Krackens in this case.

Oh also this article mentions Edelman being manned up by Revis.

http://espn.go.com/fantasy/football/story/_/page/trendspotting130918/week-2-targets-other-data-help-fantasy-owners

I don't know how credible BSPN is but it's in there for what it's worth.

That article doesn't take into account the Bucs defensive scheme/philosophy. It's bad reporting. Daube is just saying "Edelman is NE's best WR, Revis is Revis, so he'll blanket him all night, like he always has (as a Jet)." Nevermind the fact that THIS SEASON, on a NEW TEAM, with a DIFFERENT COACH, that hasn't the case.

Heard some discussion on ESPN about Revis not being content in his role because Tampa plays more zone and he doesn't man up on a defender nearly as much. If this is the case It wouldn't impact just one WR like he did with NYJ. I honestly haven't watched Tampa play, so I can't say for certain that is the case but there are multiple "rumors" floating around to this effect.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1777614-darrelle-revis-reportedly-frustrated-with-greg-schiano

heres some #s ----- 5 rec. 124 yrd. ,,,,, 6 rec 46 ,,,,, thats is what welker did 2011 against the jets cant remember if he played either game agains the pats last season but not sure revis shuts down slot wr think he plays outside...also the Bucs are 18th in league against the pass 255 yrds a game which 1 game was against a rookie qb in the jets and yes they held the saints to 1 td and 3 field goals brees threw for over 300 yrds and divisional game are always tough..... if you have edleman i would play him as a flex or #3 guy may not get a TD but i could see 6-7 rec. 75-100 yrds imo

heres some #s ----- 5 rec. 124 yrd. ,,,,, 6 rec 46 ,,,,, thats is what welker did 2011 against the jets cant remember if he played either game agains the pats last season but not sure revis shuts down slot wr think he plays outside...also the Bucs are 18th in league against the pass 255 yrds a game which 1 game was against a rookie qb in the jets and yes they held the saints to 1 td and 3 field goals brees threw for over 300 yrds and divisional game are always tough..... if you have edleman i would play him as a flex or #3 guy may not get a TD but i could see 6-7 rec. 75-100 yrds imo

Welker did that when they had some down the field threats in Lloyd and Gronk. As of right now for week three there are practically no threats outside of Edelman and a mild threat in a lost rookie finding his way. I could see Edelman getting some short stuff with a lot of catches but nothing outstanding. Why did Tampa pay the best cover man in football so many millions to put him in a zone. I think Revis shuts down someone and that someone has to be Edelman even if he is in the slot. I guess there is a chance they put him on Tompkins but to me that is a waste of talent, as any decent corner can control him for now.

There's a chance that Revis is on Edelman but it's not a guarantee. They could put Revis on Dobson or Thompkins because they are more athletic and have more big play ability. The Bucs are the only ones that know how they plan to use Revis in their gameplan. So start Edelman at your own risk.

they'be been running a zone! Look it up, Revis is actually pissed off about it and had issues with schiano about it. Dunno if it changes but looks like they've been playing zone all year round. They did just hold NO to 14 pts so that that for what it's worth ,but I don't see them tying revis to edelman all game...

Revis usually doesn't go man to man on one guy. On top of that, Revis plays on the outside and rarely covers the slot receiver. It's possible, but I don't see Revis being on him all day.

Any more thoughts on this? I've got Edelman in the lineup in two leagues (over Trent in a PPR flex, over Hilton and Gordon in a non-PPR) and I'm getting nervous about it.

Any more thoughts on this? I've got Edelman in the lineup in two leagues (over Trent in a PPR flex, over Hilton and Gordon in a non-PPR) and I'm getting nervous about it.

Tough call in a non-PPR. Gordon could be better than Edelman there.

revis island aside, TB has played solid pass D this year. I've got no choice but to start him with Amendola down, and no better options, but not too haopy about it. If you have even semi decent options I'd go with them...