Sign in to follow this  
jjarch86

To Bowe or not to Bowe...that is the question.

I want to start him, I really do...I just don't trust Alex Smith to get him the ball. But surely he finds the end zone once against a weak Giants D, right?? He found it once the last time he played at home.

1 TD, a handfull of catches (.5 PPR), and lets say 40 yards gets him into decent WR2 or Flex territory. I am trying to convince myself to go with him. I just can't seem to do it with relying on Alex Smith to get him the ball.

My only other option is a banged up Fitzy with a new QB going against a stout pass D and Revis island. :doh: Even with all of that...I am rolling the dice with Fitz over Bowe. May the fantasy god's bless me this week...I need it.

I think I'm gambling this week. I had Hartline in over him, but after the performance Jared Cook gave me yesterday, I would rather have a home run guy like Bowe. They are paying the dude big money and they will find ways to get him the ball. With that being said, this is his audition to stay on my roster.

sadly i dropped Bowe yesterday for a guy who's had 20 targets in the last two games and plays for a qb who throws the ball, Aaron Dobson. i might hate myself for it but somehow i think only for 2 or 3 games where bowe isn't doubled.

Smith's passes are only going for 5 yards downfield. That is not a system in which Bowe can thrive. Sad too, because I thought he'd re-emerge as a good WR this year. (Also thought Nicks would bounce back - wrong about both of them!).

Just when I sit him I know he's gonna blow up.

I have Wayne, Wright, Holmes, Stevie J in over him right now-PPR- but that can change.

Might give him one more week and sit one of the above...

Smith's passes are only going for 5 yards downfield. That is not a system in which Bowe can thrive. Sad too, because I thought he'd re-emerge as a good WR this year. (Also thought Nicks would bounce back - wrong about both of them!).

Yeah. When I mocking in the off season and I waited on WR some...those were the guys I was looking to grab. Not a great start.

Yeah. When I mocking in the off season and I waited on WR some...those were the guys I was looking to grab. Not a great start.

LoL me too Mulls. Thankfully other people got both and I had to settle with Jordy :music_guitarred:

sadly i dropped Bowe yesterday for a guy who's had 20 targets in the last two games and plays for a qb who throws the ball, Aaron Dobson. i might hate myself for it but somehow i think only for 2 or 3 games where bowe isn't doubled.

I did the exact same thing. :music_guitarred: Dropped Bowe for Dobson.

I think I'm gambling this week. I had Hartline in over him, but after the performance Jared Cook gave me yesterday, I would rather have a home run guy like Bowe. They are paying the dude big money and they will find ways to get him the ball. With that being said, this is his audition to stay on my roster.

This is his audition to stay on my roster too, but he will be auditioning from :bench: ....I THINK!! Argh! :dunno:

alex and donny are becoming a reliable connection and jamaal is running pretty good right now. bowe as a distraction has to be nice...but im sure he's still quite the talent...i picked up avery...i dunno, i wouldnt be surprised to see avery with better numbers fit for ppr.

Game 1 vs Jags they had game won by halftime no need 5o pass

Game 2.....50 yards and a td

Game 3....stinker

Cutting him seems to be a kneejerk reaction, I think you ignore last week and analyze from there

Bowe is so frustrating. If there is ever a week to start him this almost has to be it. I agree about Smith. He is a good NFL qb imo, but for some reason he does not translate that into any kind of consistent success for his receivers.

• Like 1

Game 1 vs Jags they had game won by halftime no need 5o pass

Game 2.....50 yards and a td

Game 3....stinker

Cutting him seems to be a kneejerk reaction, I think you ignore last week and analyze from there

Sure that makes sense, if you ignore the facts that Alex Smith doesn't throw downfield and no wide receiver has ever had a big year with him throwing the ball.

49er

Sure that makes sense, if you ignore the facts that Alex Smith doesn't throw downfield and no wide receiver has ever had a big year with him throwing the ball.

Is there a stat to prove this? That is he doesn't throw downfiled? As far as good wr....when did he have one? Crabs was always hurt so who is wr he misused?

We have incomplete data on Smith with Bowe with one blowout win and one good statline game and one crap game where I think gameplan was short contolled pass game to keep clock moving and vick off field

49erIs there a stat to prove this? That is he doesn't throw downfiled? As far as good wr....when did he have one? Crabs was always hurt so who is wr he misused?

We have incomplete data on Smith with Bowe with one blowout win and one good statline game and one crap game where I think gameplan was short contolled pass game to keep clock moving and vick off field

I watch the games. He doesn't throw downfield.

Ok thanks for YOUR OPINION ....LOL

Regarding Smith...he isn't great for wrs...but when I was analyzing PPR stats from 2011 to prep for my 2012 startup draft...I noticed that Crabtree was a key performer the 2nd half of 2011.

I forget what he ranked out to but he was in WR 2 territory the 2nd half of the season.

Check tree's game log from the Arizona game on. It's not huge yardage...but nice reception totals and consistency.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/12563/year/2011/michael-crabtree

Point being Smith has shown, at least for half a season, that he can support a fantasy relevant WR.

Andy Reid certainly has that track record too.

I would think they realize they have to get Bowe on track at some point...even just to have teams make sure they account for him and don't totally key in on Charles.

I don't believe 2011 stats from Tree are super relevant here...but FWIW Crabtree was the #12 scoring PPR WR weeks 10-17 in 2011...with Smith at the helm.

Also thanks for the example of the downfield wrs he has ignored during his career.

Don't be a focking doosh. Do you watch the games? Do you have some statistics to refute what pretty much everyone who watches Alex Smith says?

:thumbsdown:

Don't be a focking doosh. Do you watch the games? Do you have some statistics to refute what pretty much everyone who watches Alex Smith says?

Doosh...lol you are so predictable. Who is everyone BTW? Do you and the other typical flamers who use the word doosh all the time room together? I mean what's the deal with your massive vocabulary range? Who older than middle school uses the word doosh?

I am not the one stating he is or isn't throwing downfield...you are. I asked for a stat and you got 6th grade cocky. Thanks for your OPINION. You are the typical liberal...throw out a baseless statement and force other people to prove them wrong

From ESPN WR rankings blurb:

Say what you will about the quality of the Chiefs' passing offense from 2009 to 2011, but Dwayne Bowe was certainly enjoying vastly greater statistical opportunities than the usage we are seeing so far in 2013. Bowe averaged 4.2 targets of 10 yards or more per game from 2009 to 2011, but has seen just four such targets this season, as Alex Smith is proving to be the most vertically conservative quarterback in football (Smith ranks 32nd in passes of 10 yards or more this season). Investors might just have to hope for a rise in red zone attention and an uptick in total targets for Bowe to turn his fantasy campaign around.

From ESPN WR rankings blurb:

Say what you will about the quality of the Chiefs' passing offense from 2009 to 2011, but Dwayne Bowe was certainly enjoying vastly greater statistical opportunities than the usage we are seeing so far in 2013. Bowe averaged 4.2 targets of 10 yards or more per game from 2009 to 2011, but has seen just four such targets this season, as Alex Smith is proving to be the most vertically conservative quarterback in football (Smith ranks 32nd in passes of 10 yards or more this season). Investors might just have to hope for a rise in red zone attention and an uptick in total targets for Bowe to turn his fantasy campaign around.

Wow stats excellent. However as I discussed above the sample size of 3 games isn't relevant. No passing needed vs Jags, good game vs Cowboys bad game vs Philly

For instance, smith is 8th in nfl for yards per attempt.

TBD Smith to Bowe connection

I'm rooting for Bowe. Strongly considering starting him over Holmes.

Sharing more stats...from Silva's rotoworld weekly outlook:

Smith's target distribution: Charles 24, Dwayne Bowe 17, Avery 16, Dexter McCluster 13, Sean McGrath 8, Anthony Fasano 7, Anthony Sherman 6. ... The Chiefs are the only team in the league whose running back leads them in targets. ..

Smith is an inside-the-numbers, checkdown-oriented passer, which is why perimeter threat Bowe ranks an abominable 64th in fantasy receiver scoring through three weeks. He's getting the old Michael Crabtree treatment. Bowe is capable of big games -- and he has a fine Week 4 matchup -- but he's just a dice-roll WR3 at this point. He's had great matchups against the Jaguars and Eagles this year, too, and finished with stat lines of 4-30 and 1-4. Best of luck playing Bowe. You'll need it. ...

Actually, it's not an opinion, but rather an observation he has made to factually support his case that Alex Smith has not thrown many deep balls this year. Off the top of my head and can't recall much of anything going deep in the first three games but I haven't watched every minute of each game.

Wow stats excellent. However as I discussed above the sample size of 3 games isn't relevant. No passing needed vs Jags, good game vs Cowboys bad game vs Philly

For instance, smith is 8th in nfl for yards per attempt.

TBD Smith to Bowe connection

Just admit that you were wrong and that you're generally a focking idiot :thumbsup:

bowe is getting double teamed a lot. i'm not a bowe owner but am a chiefs fan. i'm hoping with avery proving he can beat teams that that will loosen thing up for bowe. also at play is the pass protection hasn't been good for smith and the way their games have played out its made more sense to ball control and not take risks but rather to leave it in the hands of the defense. what probably needs to happen for bowe is the chiefs get behind for once. I could see the giants getting off to an early lead tomorrow forcing the chiefs to throw a little more. very much looking forward to this game for a lot of reasons. summary: i'd probably roll with bowe this week with some optimism if my options weren't strong.

• Like 1

bowe is getting double teamed a lot. i'm not a bowe owner but am a chiefs fan. i'm hoping with avery proving he can beat teams if teams are going to double bowe all game that will loosen thing up for bowe. also at play is the pass protection hasn't been good for smith and the way their games have played out its made more sense to ball control and not take risks and to leave it in the hands of the defense. what probably needs to happen for bowe is the chiefs get behind for once. I could see the giants getting off to an early lead tomorrow forcing the chiefs to throw a little more. very much looking forward to this game for a lot of reasons. summary: i'd probably roll with bowe this week with some optimism if my options weren't strong.

You make a great point about playing ahead most of every game. It's week 4, way to early to stereotype anyone. #1 WRs get shut out without a threat on the other side. I am thinking Avery takes some of the double teams away. He is who he is, I don't think anyone drafted him thinking he was gonna be a #1 fantasy WR. I see no reason to panic with one game where he got shut down. He will still be his best redzone target when they do pass there. Hell give me a week like he had against Dallas and I'm fine. And I am only playing him cause Andre is hurt and playing against probably only team I will not start my WRs against.

I have a feeling this game ends up being high scoring.

ended up playing Andre instead.....Bowe 2 TDS is last 3 games....yeah he sucks and Alex is ruining him.

ended up playing Andre instead.....Bowe 2 TDS is last 3 games....yeah he sucks and Alex is ruining him.

2 TDs is nice but he hasn't done sh!t else.

Trade immediately if you can

2 TDs is nice but he hasn't done sh!t else.

Trade immediately if you can

He is my bye week filler or random flex, but I don't think he is a guy anyone wants to give anything up for in a trade.

He is my bye week filler or random flex, but I don't think he is a guy anyone wants to give anything up for in a trade.

Yeah I haven't been able to get anything at all for him, even in a package