Sign in to follow this  
rob_nacho

Is Mike James Worth #1 Waiver --- Been waiting all season

What are your thoughts on Mike James? --- Going forward.... Im on a continual rolling list (yahoo) and been holding #1 waiver all year.... Anyone else in this boat?

14 carries 45 yards..... 3.2 YPC but was the focal point of the offense once martin was knocked out. Now Martin is Out for the season.

I am trying to score him, but I would temper my expectations. It's not like he is better than Doug Martin. And it's not like Doug Martin did much this season.

He's a warm body getting carries. Not easy to come by right now.

This, beggars cant be choosers with rbs. I've said it before, with rbs, all the waiver guys u have these fantasies of picking up after injury are already on rosters. Think of backups who would dominate if there was an injury...they are all already on rosters. Get him if u can.
  • Like 1

This reminds me a lot of when Ryan Grant went down a few years ago and I got all excited about Brandon Jackson taking over. In the end nothing really developed when Jackson got the spot. I don't think that there is any reason to think that James is going to come in and out preform a more talented Doug Martin. The offensive line in Tampa Bay has been horrible and I know enough about the "clean up" surgery for the mrsa that he is highly unlikely to make it back this year.

He put up 8.3 points (ppr) with tampa trailing. I would expect rb2 type production, 12.5ppg. He's a good play going forward. I had him on taxi in a dynasty with other fftoday guys. Hoping to trade for draft picks, but worst case scenario is having a decent rb on the bench. Almost nobody has that luxury right now.

This reminds me a lot of when Ryan Grant went down a few years ago and I got all excited about Brandon Jackson taking over. In the end nothing really developed when Jackson got the spot. I don't think that there is any reason to think that James is going to come in and out preform a more talented Doug Martin. The offensive line in Tampa Bay has been horrible and I know enough about the "clean up" surgery for the mrsa that he is highly unlikely to make it back this year.

Tampa isn't an elite passing offense. This comparison isn't useful.

This, beggars cant be choosers with rbs. I've said it before, with rbs, all the waiver guys u have these fantasies of picking up after injury are already on rosters. Think of backups who would dominate if there was an injury...they are all already on rosters. Get him if u can.

Or at least they should be. In my 14 team 2 flex league, lots of starters, I've been holding, and sometimes starting!, Tate, Helu and B. Brown just hoping for one of them to pop.

i have 50 faab left...it puts me fourth highest behind 2 teams with 55 (one of which is the dmart owner) and another team with 51 (my opponent this week with ray rice and woodhead on bye). thinking of going all in on him, too aggressive? i'm 3-4, must win situation, and am currently running lamar miller out at my flex, ugh. james would replace him. .5 ppr.

i have 50 faab left...it puts me fourth highest behind 2 teams with 55 (one of which is the dmart owner) and another team with 51 (my opponent this week with ray rice and woodhead on bye). thinking of going all in on him, too aggressive? i'm 3-4, must win situation, and am currently running lamar miller out at my flex, ugh. james would replace him. .5 ppr.

Can you pick up any WR with better than 10-11 ppg potential in .5 ppr? If not, he's going to get more opportunities than Miller is in his timeshare imo.

Obviously you can't judge a player's potential worth on one game, dire circumstances or not. You can talk about an "ordinary" kid going into a brutal house to play in, against a vaunted Sea Hawk defense, and opening up a serious can. But I am more intrigued by this Seattle defense.

I didn't see the game, and truthfully there weren't many highlights involving James outside of the trick play, so I perused the local Seahawk media lines and post game ink.. Amazingly, VERY little concern regarding the absolute FACT this defense is getting gutted on the ground. Instead the story line ran about 'a team which fought through adversity,' showed heart by getting off the mat and coming back,' blah blah. It's either arrogance, or ignorance, or both, but personally as a Seahawk fan I'd be concerned.

After getting it's ass handed to them on the ground by two of the leagues most hapless tomato cans, the Seattle defense is now 19th in the league against the run. It's surrendering 116 yards per game, at 4.2 yards per carry, for a total of 1,046 yards given up on the ground this year. But what is especially noteworthy is that they've given up only 3 runs longer than 20 yards, so these stats aren't being padded by long runs. On Sunday against a Bucs team on life support, in the treacherous Mini Kingdome, they let a rookie journeyman like James gash them for runs of 21, 9, 8, 11, 9, 6, 18, 17, and 11 yards in en route to a 158 yards on 28 carry pasting. This stat line lead me to incredulously read Bobby Wagner's post game comment of, "We understand they got away with plays..." Sure, there was some trickery, but the Bucs pretty much ran it down their throats the entire first half.

Granted, the team tightened up after halftime, and has played well down by it's own goal (giving up 4 TD's rushing), but this has gone from anomaly to proven weakness. The Bucs ran the football 34 times (excluding Glennon's four scrambles), and the Seahawks Defensive Tackles had exactly ONE solo tackle. For all the upgrades made to the defensive pass rush, the way to stay in a game with this team is to go straight at them. The Tampa offensive line, a highly regarded unit this last off season and still a team strength, continuously moved the Seattle line off the ball. James was consistently getting to the second level Sunday, and his 'sharp one-cut bursts' were piling up yards at will. By the way, the Tampa schedule down the stretch is looking sweet for James, as outside of Carolina on the road in Week 13 they don't face a run defense ranked lower than 14th, with Miami, ATL, and DET in the mix.

Yeah, I will admit it's felt good to post this. I don't care for a team that swaggers as much as Seattle does, and still feel there's a place for sportsmanship and grace in the NFL. But more importantly, this team is going to get it's ass handed to it in the playoffs against the better NFC teams in absence of any adjustments.

What are your thoughts on Mike James? --- Going forward.... Im on a continual rolling list (yahoo) and been holding #1 waiver all year.... Anyone else in this boat?

You wait until week 10 to exercise your #1 waiver priority? Very foolish strategy IMO. the guys you think could be gold often turns out to be fools gold, and visa versa. If James is the top guy on your list, it's time you take him - or just about anyone - before the season is over. Hanging on to the #! priority this long is like hanging on to your money without getting the enjoyment...You can't take your money with you when you die, and you can't that #1 priority with you when your season is over.

You could have picked up a dozen guys by now and had the use of them for up to 9 weeks. Sometimes you never know who the real gold is, but you've passed on guys like Keenan Allen, Terrance Williams, etc, etc.

I am happy :banana:

Now put Martin on IR so I can dump his @SS!

For those of us in expanded keeper leagues, that is the main issue as Martin is occupying a critical roster spot. On a positive note, the team just activated CB Danny Gorrer off the short term injured reserve/ designated to return list. This potentially frees up a slot for Martin, and will allow him to return in six weeks for either a late season Week 16 tune up or a miracle playoff run if Schiano goes Joe Hardy on us.

For those of us in expanded keeper leagues, that is the main issue as Martin is occupying a critical roster spot. On a positive note, the team just activated CB Danny Gorrer off the short term injured reserve/ designated to return list. This potentially frees up a slot for Martin, and will allow him to return in six weeks for either a late season Week 16 tune up or a miracle playoff run if Schiano goes Joe Hardy on us.

I don't believe that is how short-term IR works. You can only have one player per year that is designated to return, not one player at a time. A team not in the playoff hunt (hello, Tampa) would be foolish to use such a designation even if it were still available to them.

I don't believe that is how short-term IR works. You can only have one player per year that is designated to return, not one player at a time. A team not in the playoff hunt (hello, Tampa) would be foolish to use such a designation even if it were still available to them.

Took awhile to find but:

"The new injured reserve rule will allow teams to bring back one player during the season if that player was put on injured reserve during the regular season. The player must have sustained a “major” injury – defined as missing at least six weeks. The player would have to be designated as eligible to return when he is placed on injured reserve. He can return to practice after six weeks and can be activated after eight weeks."

I'm guessing like you said one player means one total and not one at a time. The time designated for return would not be of reference in this situation as well, eight weeks would take Martin past the end of the season. So, at 0-8 in a division outside the NFC East the team is probably done and I'd want my franchise back to go under the knife and begin rehab post haste getting ready for next season. Meanwhile you give James an extended cup of coffee to confirm he is your back up RB behind Martin. There are some fine players on this team, and if Nicks comes back healthy the O-line is top ten. With a good draft this is a strong contending football team next season. It's time for management to start acting like one.

Took awhile to find but:

"The new injured reserve rule will allow teams to bring back one player during the season if that player was put on injured reserve during the regular season. The player must have sustained a “major” injury – defined as missing at least six weeks. The player would have to be designated as eligible to return when he is placed on injured reserve. He can return to practice after six weeks and can be activated after eight weeks."

I'm guessing like you said one player means one total and not one at a time. The time designated for return would not be of reference in this situation as well, eight weeks would take Martin past the end of the season. So, at 0-8 in a division outside the NFC East the team is probably done and I'd want my franchise back to go under the knife and begin rehab post haste getting ready for next season. Meanwhile you give James an extended cup of coffee to confirm he is your back up RB behind Martin. There are some fine players on this team, and if Nicks comes back healthy the O-line is top ten. With a good draft this is a strong contending football team next season. It's time for management to start acting like one.

I would think that they would want to find out what they have in Martin as well. He has not looked nearly as good as he did last year. If they were to be able to get him to come back and play well and they have something in James, then they have some flexibility. If James does okay and Martin is put on IR, then they have a muddied situation to start next year at RB.