Sign in to follow this  
2014 Baseball Hall of Fame Ballot/Results (Maddux/Glavine/Thomas)...

Most people (me included) despise the Bonds, Sosa, McGwire guys for the fact that they turned sacred records into meaningless jokes. Everyone knows that the numbers 61 and 755 should still be the numbers that everyone from baseball purists and old time writers, to little kids breaking in their first gloves, should know by heart. Gaylord Perry extended his career by throwing a spitter. He wasn't rewriting history under false pretenses.

I think that Bonds and Clemens will get in. Eventually. They were both great players before they decided to start cheating. But just as Bonds was embarrassingly shunned by the league and no one wanted to sign him at the end, these years of seeing lesser players get more votes than them (Tim Raines got more votes than Bonds! lol) serves them right.

So some cheating is okay? Gotcha. Sensible.

another huge issue.

morons that vote for people that have no focking chance.

Hideo Nomo? really?

another huge issue.

Hideo Nomo? really?

I don't have a problem with them voting for a player like that as long as they vote for others that should be there... But, no Glavine, Maddux, Thomas, Bonds, Clemens on the list? No excuse for this vote...

another huge issue.

Hideo Nomo? really?

Somewhere I read that they suggested that if you didn't vote for someone who got 95% of the vote you had to explain why, same thing for someone who got less than 5%.

Somewhere I read that they suggested that if you didn't vote for someone who got 95% of the vote you had to explain why, same thing for someone who got less than 5%.

if you vote for someone that gets less than 1%, you lose your vote. Simple

if you fail to vote for someone that gets over 95%, you're not doing your job, you also lose your vote.

That would be a great idea. I believe in letting people have their own opinions, but I'd love to see the reasoning behind voting for Nomo but not Maddux.

Some voting results are being made public...

http://bbwaa.com/14-hof-ballots/

Lawrence Rocca (Honorary) voted for four people: Jack Morris, Tim Raines, Alan Trammell and Hideo Nomo (who had six votes)...

This guy is the reason only 4 people have been nominated by the BBWAA in the last 3 years. It is stupid and and a waste of a vote. I have already said I would vote for all those steroid guys to get in. It is part of the era and to speculate who was and who wasn't clean isn't fair to guys like Bagwell and Piazza who should be in without question. No asterisks for this era of player, just put them in and let the people decide their own opinion on them.Additionally, guys like Bonds, Clemens, Mac, etc were the best players of the era, steroids or not, they still were the most feared players.

That would be a great idea. I believe in letting people have their own opinions, but I'd love to see the reasoning behind voting for Nomo but not Maddux.

Nomo did throw a no hitter at Coors Field, something Maddux never did....

Put the records back at 61 and 755 and then let the whole bunch of 'em in.

This will never happen... It is 73 and 762 now...

This will never happen... It is 73 and 762 now...

I know. And there are a lot of players not in the hall because of it. I was making a concession. I'm fine with them being left outside looking in. :dunno:

So some cheating is okay? Gotcha. Sensible.

I find throwing the occasional spitter like, the phantom tag or trapping the ball and coming up like you got it. And in all cases there are umpires to rule on it...ON THE FIELD.

The cap logos for the six Hall of Famers are:

http://baseballhall.org/news/press-releases/cap-selections-announced-hall-fame-plaques-class-2014-inductees

(COOPERSTOWN, N.Y.) – The National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum has announced the cap selections that will appear on the Hall of Fame plaques for each of the six members of the Hall of Fame class of 2014. Bobby Cox, Tom Glavine, Tony La Russa, Greg Maddux, Frank Thomas and Joe Torre will be formally inducted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame on Sunday, July 27 in Cooperstown, N.Y., as the feature to a four-day celebration of baseball and their careers as part of Hall of Fame Weekend 2014.

Glavine, Maddux and Thomas were elected to the Hall of Fame by the Baseball Writers’ Association of America on January 8, 2014. Cox, La Russa and Torre were elected to the Hall of Fame by the Expansion Era Committee one month earlier, December 8, 2013.

Each Hall of Fame plaque will be revealed as the prelude to each electee’s induction speech on July 27. The Hall of Fame plaque, which serves to reflect the totality of a career, details an individual’s accomplishments in the game in approximately 90 words, while listing each team on which an individual played or managed. An artist rendering of the individual being honored tops the Hall of Fame plaque, and in many instances, a cap, where a logo may or may not featured, is included.

In conjunction with the Hall of Fame, the six members of the class of 2014 have made their selections for the logo inclusion on their Hall of Fame plaque: Bobby Cox – Atlanta; Tom Glavine – Atlanta; Tony La Russa – no logo; Greg Maddux – no logo; Frank Thomas – Chicago White Sox; and Joe Torre – New York Yankees.

“The Museum staff works with each inductee by suggesting an appropriate logo option, or no logo at all,” said Jeff Idelson, President of the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum. “For those whose most compelling contributions clearly took place with one team, a logo makes sense. For those whose careers were built significantly among multiple teams, not having a team logo is equally acceptable. Regardless of the selection, a Hall of Famer belong to every team for which he played or managed, as well as every fan who followed his career.”

The six newest members of the National Baseball Hall of Fame will take their permanent place in Cooperstown on Sunday, July 27, with the ceremony beginning at 1:30 p.m. EDT – televised live on MLB Network, highlighting four days of celebratory events and programs for baseball fans of all ages, as part of Hall of Fame Weekend 2014, July 25-28.

Hall of Fame Weekend 2014 will also feature the Saturday, July 26 Awards Presentation, when J.G. Taylor Spink Award winner Roger Angell, Buck O’Neil Lifetime Achievement Award winner Joe Garagiola and Ford. C. Frick Award winner Eric Nadel will each be honored. The Weekend will include family programming for baseball fans of all ages, including the July 26 Parade of Legends and a July 28 Legends of the Game Roundtable discussion event with the six inductees.

More than 50 Hall of Famers are expected to return for Hall of Fame Weekend, with the full list of returnees to be announced in early July, to honor the Class of 2014 at the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum.

Each electee has provided a statement about his cap selection, stated below:

Bobby Cox

“I was fortunate to manage 29 years in the major leagues in two wonderful cities in Toronto and Atlanta. I can't imagine two better places for me to spend my managerial career. With 25 of those years in Atlanta, my Hall of Fame election is a direct result of all the success of those great Braves teams that were assembled.”

Tom Glavine

“During the course of my major league career, I had the opportunity to play for two great organizations. Though I spent five great years with the Mets, my baseball life has been defined by the city of Atlanta, from the club selecting me out of high school to where my family makes our home today. My path to Cooperstown was largely determined by my 17 major league seasons in a Braves uniform. I'm proud my Hall of Fame plaque will feature a Braves logo.”

Tony La Russa

“The Chicago White Sox gave me my start in the game as a big league manager for my first eight seasons in my 33-year managerial career. In Oakland, we recorded four first-place finishes in 10 years, winning three pennants and a World Series. And in St. Louis, our clubs won three pennants and two titles in 16 years. It's the totality of the success of each of those three teams that led me to Cooperstown, so I am choosing to not feature a logo so that fans of all clubs can celebrate this honor with me.”

Greg Maddux

“My wife Kathy and I grew up in baseball in Chicago, and then we had just an amazing experience in Atlanta with the Braves. It's impossible for me to choose one of those teams for my Hall of Fame plaque, as the fans of both clubs in each of those cities were so wonderful. I can't think of having my Hall of Fame induction without support of both of those fan bases, so, for that reason, the cap on my Hall of Fame plaque will not feature a logo.”

Frank Thomas

“I was drafted by Chicago in the first round and for 16 of my 19 seasons, I was fortunate to play there. I had wonderful seasons in Oakland and Toronto as part of my career, but my Hall of Fame election is celebrated most by the fans of Chicago and the priceless memories I will always treasure on the South Side, which is why my plaque will feature a Sox logo.”

Joe Torre

“I was lucky that my career took me only to great baseball towns. Every place where I played or managed is special to me because of the memories and the friendships that each afforded me. When I became the manager of the New York Yankees, it was an opportunity to realize my lifelong dream of winning the World Series. We were fortunate enough to succeed in our first season in 1996, and in the years that followed, we wrote some great new chapters in Yankee history. I am honored that I will wear the Yankee logo on my cap in Cooperstown to represent what our teams achieved together.”

I thought the hall picked the logo, that was what I remember when Andre Dawson wanted a Cubs logo and they decided an expos cap.

I thought the hall picked the logo, that was what I remember when Andre Dawson wanted a Cubs logo and they decided an expos cap.

The Hall has the final say now, but they take input from the player... The Wade Boggs rule:

“The Museum staff works with each inductee by suggesting an appropriate logo option, or no logo at all,” said Jeff Idelson, President of the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum. “For those whose most compelling contributions clearly took place with one team, a logo makes sense. For those whose careers were built significantly among multiple teams, not having a team logo is equally acceptable. Regardless of the selection, a Hall of Famer belong to every team for which he played or managed, as well as every fan who followed his career.”