Sign in to follow this  
2014 Baseball Hall of Fame Ballot/Results (Maddux/Glavine/Thomas)...

I would refuse to vote for anyone who I thought used PEDs. But at the same time I will judge everyone else against the stats they put up. That pretty much covers the attitude of the sportswriters,

Wont' watch it.. :overhead:

Same here.. I don't like a few players so I'm boycotting the entire thing. That'll show 'em

For what, not voting for Maddux, or for thinking that Morris belongs in the HOF?

For just having the blanket "no players from the roids era is in" stance. I understand if someone got busted, but to deny everyone is just being a douche.

There is always someone that does something like this... Not surprising...

More proof: MLB HOF = Joke.

Nobody has been unanimously elected to the HOF? What a joke.

Maddux should get in easily though.

Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine and Frank Thomas were each first-ballot selections into the Hall of Fame...

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10261922/baseball-hall-fame-class-2014-announced

Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine and Frank Thomas were elected to the Hall of Fame by the Baseball Writers' Association of America on Wednesday.

Eighth on the wins list with a 355-227 record and a 3.16 ERA over 23 seasons, Maddux won four consecutive Cy Young Awards from 1992-95 and a record 18 Gold Gloves with the Chicago Cubs, Atlanta, the Los Angeles Dodgers and San Diego. An eight-time All-Star, he won at least 13 games in 20 straight seasons.

Among pitchers with 3,000 innings whose careers began in 1921 or later – after the Dead Ball Era – Maddux's 1.80 walks per nine innings is second only to Robin Roberts' 1.73, according to STATS.

Glavine, -- Maddux's longtime teammate with the Braves -- was a 10-time All-Star, a two-time Cy Young winner and compiled 305-203 record over 22 seasons. At the induction ceremony in Cooperstown on July 27, Maddux and Glavine join their former manager Bobby Cox, elected last month by the expansion-era committee along with Joe Torre and Tony La Russa.

A two-time AL MVP, Thomas hit .301 with 521 homers and 1,704 RBIs in 19 seasons with the Chicago White Sox, Toronto and Oakland.

Biggio ended at 74.8%...

Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine and Frank Thomas have been elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame in their first year of eligibility by the Baseball Writers’ Association of America. Craig Biggio finished with 74.8 percent, falling painfully shy of the 75 percent threshold needed for induction. Mike Piazza, like Biggio a second-year candidate, was fifth with 62 percent. Jack Morris also failed to get the 75 percent necessary for enshrinement in his 15th and final year on the BBWAA ballot.

Jeff Bagwell, a longtime Astros teammate of Biggio’s, had 46.1 percent. Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds, arguably the greatest pitcher and hitter in baseball history, both lost ground and are still a long way from gaining induction. Clemens, a seven-time Cy Young winner, got 35.4 percent while Bonds, a seven-time MVP, received 34.7 percent.

Maddux was a four-time National League Cy Young winner for the Cubs and Braves, winning the award every year from 1992-95. The last three of those years came while he was with the Atlanta Braves as co-aces of a staff with Glavine, himself a two-time Cy Young winner and a member of the 300-win club.

Thomas won back-to-back American League MVP awards in 1993 and ’94 and finished with 521 home runs for the White Sox, Blue Jays and A’s. This is the first time since 1999, when George Brett, Nolan Ryan and Robin Yount were elected, that the writers have voted in three first-timers on the same ballot.

Managers Bobby Cox, Tony La Russa and Joe Torre were announced as Hall of Famers at last month’s winter meetings.

There were 571 voters on this year’s BBWAA ballot. The ceremonies will take place on July 27 in Cooperstown, N.Y.

Going to be a hell of a ceremony now with Maddux, Glavine, Thomas, Cox, Torre and LaRussa...

Some numbers:

Maddux was a near-unanimous choice, garnering 97.2 percent of the vote. The four-time Cy Young Award winner and 18-time Gold Glove Award winner won 355 games over his 23-year career to go along with a 3.16 ERA. Glavine, who was on 91.9 percent of the ballots, was a two-time Cy Young Award winner and won 305 games during his career while posting a 3.54 ERA. Thomas, one of the game's most dominant sluggers during the 90s, received 83.7 percent of the vote. The two-time MVP produced a .301/.419/.555 lifetime batting line to go along with 521 home runs. Craig Biggio narrowly missed the 75 percent threshold by finishing on 74.8 percent of the ballots, but he'll at least carry some momentum in 2015. Mike Piazza, Jack Morris, Jeff Bagwell, Tim Raines, Roger Clemens, and Barry Bonds rounded out the top part of the ballot.

Jeff Bagwell, a longtime Astros teammate of Biggio’s, had 46.1 percent. Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds, arguably the greatest pitcher and hitter in baseball history, both lost ground and are still a long way from gaining induction. Clemens, a seven-time Cy Young winner, got 35.4 percent while Bonds, a seven-time MVP, received 34.7 percent.

Woohooooo! I love the baseball writers! Great job fellas! :doublethumbsup:

People are losing their sh1t here today, I understand not letting Biggio get in first ballot but damn.

Isn't Pedro and randy Johnson on next years?

For only the second time since the first National Baseball Hall of Fame class in 1936, the Baseball Writers’ Association of America elected three players in their first year of eligibility to the Hall of Fame in balloting verified by Ernst & Young.

Pitchers Greg Maddux and Tom Glavine and designated hitter-first baseman Frank Thomas all cleared the 75-percent plurality threshold to gain election to the Hall of Fame and will be inducted in ceremonies July 25-28 at Cooperstown, N.Y.

Maddux was the leading vote getter with 555 votes of the 571 ballots, including one blank, cast by senior members of the BBWAA, writers with 10 or more consecutive years of service. That represented 97.2 percent of the vote. Glavine received 525 votes (91.9 percent) and Thomas 478 (83.7). It marked the first time that three first-ballot nominees were elected since Nolan Ryan, George Brett and Robin Yount in 1999.

Craig Biggio missed the 75-percent cutoff point of 429 by two votes, tying Nellie Fox in 1985 and Pie Trayor in 1947 for the smallest margin in balloting history. Traynor was elected in 1948. Fox was in his last year on the ballot and was subsequently elected by the Veterans Committee in 1997. It was Biggio’s second year on the ballot. Players may remain on the ballot for up to 15 years provided they receive five percent of the vote.

Pitcher Jack Morris received 351 votes (61.5) in his final year on the ballot and will be eligible for the Expansion Era Committee consideration in the fall of 2016. Players receiving sufficient support to remain on the BBWAA ballot were first baseman Jeff Bagwell (54.3), outfielder Tim Raines (46.1), pitcher Roger Clemens (35.4), outfielder Barry Bonds (34.7), relief pitcher Lee Smith (29.9), pitcher Curt Schilling (29.2), designated hitter-third baseman Edgar Martinez (25.2), shortstop Alan Trammell (20.8), pitcher Mike Mussina (20.3), second baseman Jeff Kent (15.2), first baseman Fred McGriff (11.7), first baseman Mark McGwire (11.0), outfielder Larry Walker (10.2), first baseman Don Mattingly (8.2) and outfielder Sammy Sosa (7.2).

Maddux and Glavine are the first pair of Hall of Fame classmates both to record voting percentages in the 90th-percentile since 2007 with Cal Ripken Jr. (98.5) and Tony Gwynn (97.6). Overall it is the fifth time in Hall of Fame voting history that classmates have recorded 90th-percentile totals, joining 1936 (Ty Cobb 98.2 Honus Wagner 95.1, Babe Ruth 95.1, Christy Mathewson 90.7); 1989 (Johnny Bench 96.4, Carl Yastrzemski 94.6); 1999 (Ryan 98.8, Brett 98.29) and 2007.

Thomas is the first Hall of Famer to have played a majority of games at the DH position. He appeared in 2,322 career games, with 1,310 coming as a DH, (56.4 percent). Paul Molitor, who was elected in 2004, played 44 percent of his games as a DH.

Maddux and Glavine are the first pair of 300-game winners elected in the same year since 1973 – Warren Spahn (363) and Mickey Welch (307). The only other time two 300-game winners were elected in the same year was in 1936 when the BBWAA chose Walter Johnson (417) and Christy Mathewson (373). Maddux and Glavine are the first pair of living 300-game winners elected to the Hall of Fame in the same year.

The election of Maddux and Glavine marks the first time since 1992 that two former big league starting pitchers entered the Hall in the same class. That year Tom Seaver was elected by the BBWAA and Hal Newhouser by the Veterans Committee. The last time two former big league starting pitchers were elected in the same year by the BBWAA was 1991 – Ferguson Jenkins and Gaylord Perry. Jenkins and Perry were also prior members of the same rotation to be elected together, having pitched albeit for only part of each season with the Texas Rangers in 1975 and 1980. The last time two big league starters that pitched at least one whole season in the same rotation were elected to the Hall of Fame was 1946; Jack Chesbro and Rube Waddell took regular turns in the Pittsburgh Pirates rotation in 1900. Another member of the Class of 1946, Eddie Plank, was in the Philadelphia Athletics rotation with Waddell from 1902-07.

Name Votes (Pct.) Yrs on ballot
Greg Maddux 555 (97.2%) 1
Tom Glavine 525 (91.9) 1
Frank Thomas 478 (83.7) 1
Craig Biggio 427 (74.8) 2
Mike Piazza 355 (62.2) 2
Jack Morris 351 (61.5) 15
Jeff Bagwell 310 (54.3) 4
Tim Raines 263 (46.1) 7
Roger Clemens 202 (35.4) 2
Barry Bonds 198 (34.7) 2
Lee Smith 171 (29.9) 12
Curt Schilling 167 (29.2) 2
Edgar Martinez 144 (25.2) 5
Alan Trammell 119 (20.8) 13
Mike Mussina 116 (20.3) 1
Jeff Kent 87 (15.2) 1
Fred McGriff 67 (11.7) 8
Mark McGwire 63 (11.0) 8
Larry Walker 58 (10.2) 4
Don Mattingly 47 (8.2) 14
Sammy Sosa 41 (7.2) 2
Rafael Palmeiro 25 (4.4) 4
Moises Alou 6 (1.1) 1
Hideo Nomo 6 (1.1) 1
Luis Gonzalez 5 (0.9) 1
Eric Gagne 2 (0.4) 1
J.T. Snow 2 (0.4) 1
Armando Benitez 1 (0.2) 1
Jacque Jones 1 (0.2) 1
Kenny Rogers 1 (0.2) 1
Sean Casey 0 (0) 1
Ray Durham 0 (0) 1
Todd Jones 0 (0) 1
Paul LoDuca 0 (0) 1
Richie Sexson 0 (0) 1
Mike Timlin 0 (0) 1

2015 Candidates

Rich Aurilia

Aaron Boone

Paul Byrd

Tony Clark

Carlos Delgado

David Dellucci

Jermaine Dye

Alan Embree

Darin Erstad

Kelvim Escobar

Cliff Floyd

Nomar Garciaparra

Brian Giles

Tom Gordon

Eddie Guardado

Randy Johnson

Mark Loretta

Pedro Martinez

Ramon Martinez

Doug Mientkiewicz

Kevin Millar

Troy Percival

B.J. Ryan

Jason Schmidt

Gary Sheffield

John Smoltz

Julian Tavarez

Jarrod Washburn

David Weathers

Going to be a hell of a ceremony now with Maddux, Glavine, Thomas, Cox, Torre and LaRussa...

Won't watch it.. :overhead:

Won't watch it.. :overhead:

Me neither. Never cared for the Braves, so I'll skip the entire induction. That'll show 'em

I love how the voting frauds know Frank Thomas was clean without a doubt.

Focking joke

Before - http://damox.com/sports-blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/1990-Frank-Thomas-e1332420381587.jpg

After - http://www.allposters.com/IMAGES/153/841360.jpg

His arm looks like a leg in the second picture. Yup, 100% clean, no doubt about it. :doh:

I love how the voting frauds know Frank Thomas was clean without a doubt.

Focking joke

Before - http://damox.com/sports-blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/1990-Frank-Thomas-e1332420381587.jpg

After - http://www.allposters.com/IMAGES/153/841360.jpg

His arm looks like a leg in the second picture. Yup, 100% clean, no doubt about it. :doh:

Why do you think it is that he's never brought up in the steroid discussions?

Hopefully Piazza gets in next year. I hate when people describe him as "arguably" the best hitting catcher ever. It's not arguable.

Why do you think it is that he's never brought up in the steroid discussions?

Had Arod ever been brought up when you were tooting his horn?

Hopefully Piazza gets in next year. I hate when people describe him as "arguably" the best hitting catcher ever. It's not arguable.

I don't get how Piazza, Biggio and Bagwell all didn't get in really.

Had Arod ever been brought up when you were tooting his horn?

ARod was a natural since he was 16. And he never had the 'look' of a juicer. Just a big guy. Never appeared to be muscular. But Thomas did. I'm just wondering what it was about Thomas that made him seem like he was never scrutinized like the other big burly sluggers from his era.

Woohooooo! I love the baseball writers! Great job fellas! :doublethumbsup:

Bonds received more votes this year than last. % was less because more ballots were cast.

I don't get how Piazza, Biggio and Bagwell all didn't get in really.

Yeah, none of them did roids. :D

ARod was a natural since he was 16. And he never had the 'look' of a juicer. Just a big guy. Never appeared to be muscular. But Thomas did. I'm just wondering what it was about Thomas that made him seem like he was never scrutinized like the other big burly sluggers from his era.

It's a great question.

But I doubt everyone else at the time tried it, but he didnt

Stll not sure how you keep Jack Morris out.

if he were voted in, he'd have the highest ERA of any pitcher in the HOF

if he were voted in, he'd have the highest ERA of any pitcher in the HOF

There is somebody now in the HOF with the highest ERA, there is somebody now in the HOF with the lowest batting average - somebody is going to have the highest of this and the lowest of that no matter what. Morris finished with the most wins of any pitcher during the 80's, 4 rings, and 1 WS MVP.

There is somebody now in the HOF with the highest ERA, there is somebody now in the HOF with the lowest batting average - somebody is going to have the highest of this and the lowest of that no matter what. Morris finished with the most wins of any pitcher during the 80's, 4 rings, and 1 WS MVP.

How many Cy Young awards did he win? That would be zero. Same as Mussina who shouldn't get in.

Never even finished higher than 5th in any one season for best ERA

Career whip of 1.3

This is the hall of fame, not the hall of most wins.

Dude was a monster in the playoffs, no doubt. But that alone doesn't get it done.

He should be in over Bert Blyleven though, I'll say that.

Probably the fact that back in 1995 he was publicly calling for steroid testing in baseball.

It's a great question.

But I doubt everyone else at the time tried it, but he didnt

Sorry Ed, no hint of him juicing...unlike Barry "I didn't know this 10,000 dollar a bottle flax seed oil was steroid's" Bonds.

How many Cy Young awards did he win? That would be zero. Same as Mussina who shouldn't get in.

Never even finished higher than 5th in any one season for best ERA

Career whip of 1.3

So what? When did Cy Young and ERA titles become the prerequisite for HOF entry? There are 61 pitchers enshrined in Cooperstown - Jack Morris has more wins than 31 of them. He's tied with another. Of the 61 - like to know how many had more wins in a single decade than their peers, as well as 4 titles, and a WS MVP.

So what? When did Cy Young and ERA titles become the prerequisite for HOF entry? There are 61 pitchers enshrined in Cooperstown - Jack Morris has more wins than 31 of them. He's tied with another. Of the 61 - like to know how many had more wins in a single decade than their peers, as well as 4 titles, and a WS MVP.

He was not and was never considered the greatest of his era or at any point when he played.

End of story

There are a crap ton of players in the hall that do not deserve to be there.

It's the hall of fame, not the hall of very good