Sign in to follow this  
R8RMick

Peyton Manning playoff history...

So I've been pretty critical of Manning and his career playoff performances, but after watching yesterday's game I may have a different take. What I saw was a masterful performance by a genius at the position. The constant checking at the line, reading the blitz and the audibles into running plays, and making the necessary throws into a strong wind... It was like watching Mozart compose.

It is unfair to expect his video game regular season numbers during the playoffs. He changes his game, and has been doing so for years, when the post season hits. In the playoffs, you need to have a running game. Yesterday's stat line was very pedestrian- 25/36 230 yds 2 TDs and an INT which should have been his third TD pass. But the Broncs also ran for 130 yards and were constantly finding the Bolts in the wrong defense. This was ALL due to Manning's generalship.

Has he played poorly in the playoffs throughout his career? You bet. His 74 yard pick six in Super Bowl XLIV was probably his worst moment. But obviously there has been other factors as well.

But what happens when you come up a defense which is superb at stopping the run? I hope Bellychick game plans to take away Denver's running game next week, and they stack eight in the box. And I hope Manning dials up his game with a 300 yd four TD pass performance. Because that is what they'll need to get by either NFC team.

Manning did everything right yesterday. Even the INT was not his fault in any way. Had his receivers caught the ball that was put in their hands (Welker) Denver would have scored 2 or 3 more TDs.

Manning was awesome yesterday. And it was a huge game. It was cold. And it was windy. And he still played an excellent, almost mistake free game.

Unfortunately, he had such an unbelievable season that anything less than hoisting the Lombardi will be considered a choke.

He really did play flawlessly. The strong running was on him. I think the defense was shaking every time Manning looked around and then started to audible.

The one thing that did surprise me yesterday was how much his receivers dropped good passes.

Manning was awesome yesterday. And it was a huge game. It was cold. And it was windy. And he still played an excellent, almost mistake free game.

Unfortunately, he had such an unbelievable season that anything less than hoisting the Lombardi will be considered a choke.

Maybe it would be a choke if he wasn't facing a better QB.

Patriots' game plan last time around was to let the Broncos run and focus on Manning. It worked after initially getting in a huge hole early on.

It'll be interesting to see what they do this time though. I don't think they're going to come at Denver with the same plan twice, and the team has changed quite a bit from that last Denver game. It seems like they will want to make this game a physical contest and win on that front.

I wonder if their strategy will be to get the Broncos' punt team to let the ball hit them again. In other words, getting lucky twice in one year against the same team isn't very likely.

I wonder if their strategy will be to get the Broncos' punt team to let the ball hit them again. In other words, getting lucky twice in one year against the same team isn't very likely.

I guess you don't understand football. Hanging around and waiting for the other team to make a critical mistake is a time-honored strategy for success.

I can see how you wouldn't understand successful strategies as an Eagles fan :P

I guess you don't understand football. Hanging around and waiting for the other team to make a critical mistake is a time-honored strategy for success.

I can see how you wouldn't understand successful strategies as an Eagles fan :P

I understand football totally fine. Yes, you are correct. The Patriots 'hung around', and the punt flub cost Denver the game. I guess they can hope that happens again. :dunno:

I understand football totally fine. Yes, you are correct. The Patriots 'hung around', and the punt flub cost Denver the game. I guess they can hope that happens again. :dunno:

A punt flub, one of Peyton's patented season-ending INTs, maybe Montee Ball coughing up a fumble...there are many possibilities and I guarantee you the Pats are planning to win through one of them. You'd love for a win to not have to come down to that but these are two of the best four teams in the NFL

If I was starting a football team and could pick any player in NFL history I would take Peyton Manning at 1.1 and hate Peyton Manning :mad:

He is maybe the 1 player in almost any sport I have seen to match his otherworldly physical gifts with a 200 IQ for his craft

If I was starting a football team and could pick any player in NFL history I would take Peyton Manning at 1.1 and hate Peyton Manning :mad:

He is maybe the 1 player in almost any sport I have seen to match his otherworldly physical gifts with a 200 IQ for his craft

Agree with you 100% Moz... It has to be the greatest riddle in all of sports, why his playoff performances/results do not match his regular season accomplishments. Maybe this is the year, where he not only wins it but puts up huge numbers while at it. Raider fan or not, I wouldn't mind seeing it.

Manning winning it all this year does not justify his choking like a dog so many times before.

At best he ends this season at 13 and 12 all time in the playoffs with 7 times being knocked out in the 1st game.

Best regular season QB ever? Without question.

Best QB ever? No sorry.

Look at the weapons he has had in his career. Ridiculous

Manning winning it all this year does not justify his choking like a dog so many times before.

At best he ends this season at 13 and 12 all time in the playoffs with 7 times being knocked out in the 1st game.

Best regular season QB ever? Without question.

Best QB ever? No sorry.

Look at the weapons he has had in his career. Ridiculous

Not at all, but it stops the bleeding and goes a long way to avoiding the iceberg. It was sixteen years ago we were having this same talk about John Elway, though Elway didn't have near the teams Manning has. I swear even for a Raider fan I am really pulling for him.

Not at all, but it stops the bleeding and goes a long way to avoiding the iceberg. It was sixteen years ago we were having this same talk about John Elway, though Elway didn't have near the teams Manning has. I swear even for a Raider fan I am really pulling for him.

Elway did more with less talent (in the playoffs) even before he had won 2 super bowls.

Greatest 2 QB's of all time for me are Montana 1 and Elway 2

Elway did more with less talent (in the playoffs) even before he had won 2 super bowls.

Greatest 2 QB's of all time for me are Montana 1 and Elway 2

No argument from me there. I wonder how many people know just how close John Elway came to being a Raider...?