Sign in to follow this  
Love My Lions

Lions Lose Again - Whiz to Titans

ya wiz did a bang up job in the playoffs playing against Peyton.... lets play real conservative and at the very end pour it on when it is too late. F that guy

I wouldn't fret about this too much, Lions fans.

Whisenhunt has had two standout years as a head coach: both with Kurt Warner at QB. He's getting job offers because of this year with Philip Rivers as OC. He had veteran teams in Arizona and an ownership that shook off the past and started to spend money. Without a HOF-ish QB, he didn't come close to getting it done.

In Tenn with the dynamic duo of Hurt Locker and The Amish Rifle, we'll see what he's really made of as a coach.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/14/report-titans-offered-whisenhunt-1-million-more-per-year-than-lions/

There’s been plenty of speculation regarding whether Ken Whisenhunt chose the Titans over the Lions and if so why.

They may have been one million reasons. Per year.

According to Paul Kuharsky of ESPN.com, the Titans offered Whisenhunt $1 million per year more than the Lions.

I don't know if Wizz would've been a good hire or not, but if they really wanted him it's pretty stupid to let $1 million per year stand in their way.

Whisenhunt has had two standout years as a head coach: both with Kurt Warner at QB. He's getting job offers because of this year with Philip Rivers as OC. He had veteran teams in Arizona and an ownership that shook off the past and started to spend money. Without a HOF-ish QB, he didn't come close to getting it done.

In Tenn with the dynamic duo of Hurt Locker and The Amish Rifle, we'll see what he's really made of as a coach.

He won a super bowl with Pittsburgh with a second year qb. The year before that a rookie qb to championship and losing only to Brady and the tapes

What more can you expect from an organization that cannot close out the 4th quarter?

wow i agree . close the deal . now they land caldwell thats a lost and the season is over

It's true he had Warner and I've seen this thrown out there from others to discount him. But the fact is Warner was in Arizona for 2 years before Whisenhunt got there. He played about 16 games and his numbers were very mediocre. Lets also remember the few years before that Warner was crappy with Giants and his terrible play got him benched for the Rams.

It was not until Whisenhunt got to Ariz. that Warner went back to looking like a HOFer. Rivers was much improved from last year with Whiz (McCoy) coaching him this year.

I'm not sure how much credit Whisenhunt deserves for the improvements in the QB's but fact is they were much better once he got there. He did go 8-8 with Kevin Kolb and John Skelton as QB's one year. Which is pretty amazing as well.

It's true he had Warner and I've seen this thrown out there from others to discount him. But the fact is Warner was in Arizona for 2 years before Whisenhunt got there. He played about 16 games and his numbers were very mediocre. Lets also remember the few years before that Warner was crappy with Giants and his terrible play got him benched for the Rams.

It was not until Whisenhunt got to Ariz. that Warner went back to looking like a HOFer. Rivers was much improved from last year with Whiz (McCoy) coaching him this year.

I'm not sure how much credit Whisenhunt deserves for the improvements in the QB's but fact is they were much better once he got there. He did go 8-8 with Kevin Kolb and John Skelton as QB's one year. Which is pretty amazing as well.

It seems like Wizz can do great things with a QB when there is potential there. But it also seems like he can't personally identify which QBs have that potential in the first place.

Lucky for him, I think Locker has potential provided he can actually stay healthy for a decent stretch of the season.

Rams homer here... Warner wasn't benched for "terrible play" in St. Louis. He broke his thumb and HAD to sit on the bench. Then his wife called a local radio show and ripped into our then head coach, Mike Martz. He was done here after that. When he went to the Giants, he didn't play, so I'm not sure how you can say he was crappy. Warner was always injury prone. With Arizona, he tore his groin in the third game of his first season. In year two, he tore his MCL. The team didn't think he could remain healthy and had McCown and Leinart. Dennis Green was their head coach and he did NOT want Warner starting. When Whisenhunt took over, he gave the starting job to Leinart, but the idiot couldn't keep it. Warner came in and took off... His passer rating was great, even during the years under Dennis Green. It was his inability to stay healthy that cost him his job. You can read about his career here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Warner