Sign in to follow this  
Matt Mueller

Large Roster Dynasty Leagues-How Big is Too Big?

I've had the pleasure of playing in a couple 3 year catch and release leagues with some of you fine gents and I've been thinking about taking that model and expanding it with a bit of a larger roster.

One thing that begrudges me is cutting those speculative guys at the end of my bench or not being able to add or draft someone you like because you don't have room.

I'm generally of the opinion that I'd rather reward an owner that was waiting on someone as opposed to being the first to get him of waivers.

I'm thinking:

12 teams

22 roster spots

6 taxi spots * possibly considering extending taxi eligibility to year 3

Thoughts?

I've had the pleasure of playing in a couple 3 year catch and release leagues with some of you fine gents and I've been thinking about taking that model and expanding it with a bit of a larger roster.

One thing that begrudges me is cutting those speculative guys at the end of my bench or not being able to add or draft someone you like because you don't have room.

I'm generally of the opinion that I'd rather reward an owner that was waiting on someone as opposed to being the first to get him of waivers.

I'm thinking:

12 teams

22 roster spots

6 taxi spots * possibly considering extending taxi eligibility to year 3

Thoughts?

I think it just turns more into player hoarding. Not as much skill required imo.

We're 14x22 with no taxi spots. There's still always players that I keep my eye on in the waiver pool, but I'd just as soon leave them there. Of course a lot of those dried up when we replaced Sux with southcarolina, but even then...

I don't mind that there are solid choices on the waiver wire. Sux gutted his team with neglect and incompetence but southcarolina looks to me fully capable of turning the team around within 2-3 years- all with smart gambles on spare parts from waivers. If our rosters were any deeper, 3-4 of southcarolina's guys would be on my team, another 3-4 here and 3-4 over there and there, he would have had nothing to work with.

Are you wanting more gems to stash or just a wider number of players selected?

If the latter, perhaps a 16 teamer with the 20-24 size?

I'm in a 12 team 30 man roster dynasty (team defense) that expands the roster to 35 in the off-season. There's plenty of waiver wire activity, as well as scrambling for 4th -5th round picks during the draft. Larger rosters are fine, and I like the taxi squad idea.

I think that a good rule of thumb is to have about 200-220 roster spots league-wide for offensive players - I wouldn't go any higher than that (especially if you get to keep a taxi squad, too). That usually ensures enough talent on the waiver wire to keep things interesting. I actually think that it is good for leagues when owners have to make some tough decisions on players rather than being able to hoard them. Of course, if you are including defensive/IDP players that number should be adjusted up.

12 teams @ 20 slots = 240 roster spots. WW can still be thin even then, so finding an impact player to cover an injury or bye is tough. 6 taxi with a 3rd year option is a nice wrinkle though if going that route I'd open up the draft to include devy (college) players too just to help. 22 player rosters with 6 on taxi would mean 336 roster slots - which makes for a VERY thin wavier wire.

I think that's way too many roster spots. There's gotta be some strategy to who you keep and who you dump and there should be an equalizing factor for great teams. If you have a lot of great players, I don't think you should be able to stash a bunch of future greats too. Having a smaller roster gives the bad teams an opportunity to compete by thinking about waiver buys for next year.

We have 12 teams, we start 10 players (including team defense). Our roster is 18 only, plus one taxi spot (which we call the franchise tag)

Every year some players that get drafted get dumped early when they under-perform. This gives smart waiver wire teams the opportunity to make smart buys for next year. (For instance last year, Markus Wheaton and Cordarelle Patterson were dropped early as busts. The team who picked them up has great value for this year).