Sign in to follow this  
Frozenbeernuts

Whats Buffalo doing with Fred Jackson?

He is 33 years old with 2 more dynamic backs on the team, one of which the bills traded for. Did fjax get the early carries because bryce is still new to the offense? I dont understand extending him for another year when he will be 34. I was wrong last year, can he really contribute again? If spiller can go without an ankle sprain he is just so much more dynamic.

Does the extension combined with bryce all but guarantee spiller will be signing elsewhere next year? I own spiller and bryce in a dynasty league. It would be nice to see that turn into 2 starting rbs on 2 different teams.

If it was my team, I'd keep all three this year to make sure Spiller can make it through a full season, and then let F-Jax walk next year.

He is 33 years old with 2 more dynamic backs on the team, one of which the bills traded for. Did fjax get the early carries because bryce is still new to the offense? I dont understand extending him for another year when he will be 34. I was wrong last year, can he really contribute again? If spiller can go without an ankle sprain he is just so much more dynamic.

Does the extension combined with bryce all but guarantee spiller will be signing elsewhere next year? I own spiller and bryce in a dynasty league. It would be nice to see that turn into 2 starting rbs on 2 different teams.

well, he is one of the most underrated backs in the last 15yrs or so, makes sense to keep him around for a bargain price.

i think the extension equates to the team having little interest in resigning spiller nxt offseason.

• Like 1

the problem with trading spiller, is that his value is next to nothing. maybe a 3rd round pick?

any chance the bills sandbag with him, just so he cant post eye popping stats, to keep the price down next offseason?

he aint AP, or jamal charles.

well, he is one of the most underrated backs in the last 15yrs or so, makes sense to keep him around for a bargain price.

i think the extension equates to the team having little interest in resigning spiller nxt offseason.

2.4 mil is a lot of money for a 34 year old rb imo.

They won't sandbag CJ Spiller. The GM needs to win this season to keep his job with a new owner coming in and the trade he just made for Watkins. A bad season and both he and the HC are history.

They only added Bryce as an insurance policy, in my opinion. He did nothing in Philly last season and the team wasn't big on him. He's being "praised" for no apparent reason. Jackson may be old, but he doesn't have too many carries and he is a tough running back. I don't think the casual fan has seen him play enough. Nice insurance policy in case they let CJ walk. Considering the numbers Jackson put up last season, and the fact he's always reliable when called upon, it's not a bad deal. With the new CBA, they have a salary cap floor, so it may be a case of them needing to make sure they stayed over that level for 2015.

2.4 mil is a lot of money for a 34 year old rb imo.

2.4m over 2 yrs a lot of money for a RB? not really.

is 34 old for RB? yes

They won't sandbag CJ Spiller. The GM needs to win this season to keep his job with a new owner coming in and the trade he just made for Watkins. A bad season and both he and the HC are history.

They only added Bryce as an insurance policy, in my opinion. He did nothing in Philly last season and the team wasn't big on him. He's being "praised" for no apparent reason. Jackson may be old, but he doesn't have too many carries and he is a tough running back. I don't think the casual fan has seen him play enough. Nice insurance policy in case they let CJ walk. Considering the numbers Jackson put up last season, and the fact he's always reliable when called upon, it's not a bad deal. With the new CBA, they have a salary cap floor, so it may be a case of them needing to make sure they stayed over that level for 2015.

this

Jackson looked like his same old self on the few carries he had last night. Spiller fans can continue their groaning.

Your dilemma is that Fred is still productive. This isn't the Thomas Jones amd Jamaal Charles situation. Sadly, you're going to need Fred to get injured.

We have a guy in my league who drafts Fred relatively early every single year and we all used to mock him. Now the room stays real quiet.

It's not the age, it's the mileage.

Jackson didn't play his first NFL game until he was 26. He's got fewer carries than LeSean McCoy.

What will the do with Fjax? Same as every year. Claim hes just a backup or change of pace, then when games start he will get the most carries and lead the team in all rushing stats. Rinse repeat til he drops dead at 70.

Cant draft Jax cuz if I do he will get hurt or ill end up starting him the few games he does nothing and cutting him out of frustration. But cant draft the starter cuz if I do that he will suck and Jax will run wild yet again. Infuriating.

• Like 1

the bills dont care about fantasy teams.... Jackson has proven to be a very good RB. why would they not keep/use him?

• Like 1

It doesn't contain much guaranteed money for 2015. His salary is $2.35 million, but doesn't become guaranteed until AFTER week 1 of the 2015 season. The only guaranteed money is a $100K roster bonus. If Jackson declines this year (or in TC next year), the Bills can release him & only be on the hook for (at most) $100,000. It's a nice gesture for a veteran, and it looks good for Bills fans (as I'd imagine FJax is a Buffalo favorite), and since it's not a huge amount of money, IF (big if, IMO), Jackson still looks good this year, he'd be a cheap insurance policy if they can't re-sign Spiller & have to hope Brown pans out or they draft a young RB.

It's not the age, it's the mileage.

Jackson didn't play his first NFL game until he was 26. He's got fewer carries than LeSean McCoy.

This... mostly. The significant factor for the "RB's are done at 31" mindset is the mileage. That said... early 30's is when the wheels start falling off for most guys... pro athletes can extend that obviously... but time catches everybody.

The bills dont care about fantasy stats? Damn i thought they were the leader n fantasy caring. I think he should still be on the roster this year, but spiller biggest issue has been a sprained ankle two years in a row.

Has anyone really payed attention to spiller? Dude runs with reckless abandon. He isnt all that big at about 200 pounds. Its probably why he is more prone to injury but a very similar back in chris johnson doesnt get hurt, because johnson will not run that hard.

I guess its not bad if jacksons extension isnt a bit hit its not too bad. I am used to seeing the bills acquire talent and then under utilize it, with the exception if jackson.

the problem with trading spiller, is that his value is next to nothing. maybe a 3rd round pick?

any chance the bills sandbag with him, just so he cant post eye popping stats, to keep the price down next offseason?

he aint AP, or jamal charles.

yup, a team that wants to apparently resign a player will keep his touches down, so that his stats will stay down, so they can resign him for cheap next year...

i see you have not smartened up 1 bit from last year...

Let's talk about those WRs again shall we, that was entertaining discourse to say the least...