Sign in to follow this  
Upper Class Trash

Third RB or Third WR?

Considering the lack of true RB options, in a league with a starting roster of QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, Def, Flex ---- Do you take your 3rd or a 3rd RB first? PPR League. I'm going with the RB as I can slot him in as a Flex and there just aren't many RB's available..... I'd like to hear some other input though.

All things being equal, if I think a back that is still capable is on the board I will probably take him. It really depends though. Hard to answer not knowing which players area available.

• Like 1

Always try to take a 3rd rb before a 3rd wr. In emergency situations you can pluck full time starting wrs off the wire to plug in, but you cant do that at rb.

• Like 1

A good question, and one with a million answers depending on how the board looks at the time. If it's the 6th round and you have 2RB, 2WR, and your TE, I expect you'd be much more confident in getting starter numbers out of Torrey Smith or Marques Colston than out of Lamar Miller or Stevan Ridley. If you're heading into the 4th round with 2RB and 1WR, maybe Sankey or Gerhart catches your eye as both a viable flex and injury/bust insurance for your first 2 RBs. Chances are you can find a decent 2nd receiver in round 5.

Without any specific guidelines, I'd probably pick a WR in a PPR, simply because I think you're more likely to get useful production out of any given receiver than out of an RB available at the same slot as you get later and later in the draft. Big change from a few years ago, when I felt hampered in any flex league where I didn't have 3 RBs after round 4.

In my situation, I drew the 1.12 pick. Per the stats from last season, the 1.12 had the lowest percentage of league Champions on all the combined MFL sites. Pretty easy to believe considering you are typically at the end of all the runs and if you want a decent player, outside of your first two picks, you typically have to reach for them.

I was stuck on the 6.01. I have my QB, two RB's, two WR's and the only two "starter" material RB's left on the board were CJ?K and Biship Sankey. I looked over the roster prior to drafting and only one of the 12 teams had 3 RB's. Every team had two though. So, it was either take a one of these guys (I took Sankey), or take a WR3 from a group of guys I feel are no better than what I'll get at the 7.12 or 8.01. While I do not have a TE on my roster, it's because there was a massive TE run between my 4.01 and 5.12 picks. By the time my 5.12 pick rolled around, I was the only remaning owner without a TE. No worries. At this stage, I'll wait and grab a couple of guys later. I won't reach for a player early simply to fill the position. There are a couple TE's being overlooked anyway. While I don't think they will be TE1's, they will be high end TE2's. I rank TE's differently. I have a group of 5 or 6 guys I will take earlier than the others. Outside of them, screw it. There is no value in drafting a TE too early just to have one on your roster when you can wait 4 more rounds and get a guy who will come within 1 or 1.5 fantasy points per game.

I was pretty happy with Sankey as he was the 26th RB off the board and I have him a heck of a lot higher in my personal rankings. Hopefully he starts the year off in a timeshare so he's able to handle more carries come fantasy playoff time.

A good question, and one with a million answers depending on how the board looks at the time. If it's the 6th round and you have 2RB, 2WR, and your TE, I expect you'd be much more confident in getting starter numbers out of Torrey Smith or Marques Colston than out of Lamar Miller or Stevan Ridley. If you're heading into the 4th round with 2RB and 1WR, maybe Sankey or Gerhart catches your eye as both a viable flex and injury/bust insurance for your first 2 RBs. Chances are you can find a decent 2nd receiver in round 5.

Without any specific guidelines, I'd probably pick a WR in a PPR, simply because I think you're more likely to get useful production out of any given receiver than out of an RB available at the same slot as you get later and later in the draft. Big change from a few years ago, when I felt hampered in any flex league where I didn't have 3 RBs after round 4.

This. It all comes down to value. However if it was between say the #15 ranked wr and the #15 ranked RB I would go with the RB. Much more steady production than the wr

If that WR is a starter , it looked like you said you start three WR then it's a WR . I like to fill up my starters first that's where the money is won .

Always try to take a 3rd rb before a 3rd wr. In emergency situations you can pluck full time starting wrs off the wire to plug in, but you cant do that at rb.

:thumbsup:

This.

if there is a RB who is a starter or even in a time share who will get decent production overall, You want him before you take a third WR.

I have found that productive WR's are easier to find than RB's.

After the top 22 or 23 RB's are gone, the scraps left are not very substantial. you then get time share players and players with the potential to start rather than actual starters.

At WR, There are far more options and also far more opinions on players meaning a better chance a decent player slips a round or two in the draft.