Sign in to follow this  
TimmySmith

Mike Carey Officiating Analysis

Wtf? "It's obvious he never secured the ball"? Really? I must be blind then.

And we wonder why officiating is so bad. Andre Johnson caught the ball, took at least three steps with it up against his body and then fumbled it. Carey was so confident it was an incomplete pass, never mind that Johnson slammed his helmet down in disgust because he knew it was a fumble. It's great when a guy who was an official for 14 years doesn't even know the rule.

And we wonder why officiating is so bad. Andre Johnson caught the ball, took at least three steps with it up against his body and then fumbled it. Carey was so confident it was an incomplete pass, never mind that Johnson slammed his helmet down in disgust because he knew it was a fumble. It's great when a guy who was an official for 14 years doesn't even know the rule.

He never took 3 steps with it secured up against his body.

It was a pretty close call.

I was surprised Carey was that confident in it...but it was hardly as cut and dry and clear as you make it out to be.

He never took 3 steps with it secured up against his body.

It was a pretty close call.

I was surprised Carey was that confident in it...but it was hardly as cut and dry and clear as you make it out to be.

I knew it was a fumble when I saw it live and I knew it was a fumble after seeing about 5 replays. In my mind, it wasn't that close at all and considering that the on-field ref took about 30 seconds to review it tells me that at least two people are clear on what is and isn't a fumble.

yea he actually did take a few steps with the ball i dunno if it was 3 or not but he made a "football move". it was funny though he was so adament about it not being a fumble and the anouncer i forgot who was more or less like your an idiot and im not gonna argue with you lol.

My favorite Ref. Thanks for not calling in the grasp on Eli in the Super Bowl. Greatest non call ever. Probably won't happen anymore in the new NFL.

Wtf? "It's obvious he never secured the ball"? Really? I must be blind then.

I think he considers "securing the ball" with "tucking the ball". The ball was never cradled in his arms by his side. From my view, he had about as much control as you can have. Just because he didn't tuck it away, doesn't mean he didn't have control.

Lots of exaggeration in here. He marginally had control from what I saw. He tried to tuck it in after the catch while he as was running. Ball was never fully "tucked" since it was still moving in his arms. However, I agree that he had enough control to call it a fumble.