Sign in to follow this  
DaBeerz

What Coaches will be fired this season?

I vote for trestman. As a bears fan, this team has too much talent to be at 3-6. Someone's got to go and if harbaugh is available I'm backing a switch to harbaugh

the torches are out in Chicago.

It's not just that we're 3-6, but that our DEF has been historically bad for 2 years. I can see him staying, but his big achievement last year was offense, and we've been wretched there this year as well.

Strong DEF HC with a capable OC run WCO? Too much to ask?

Tenn please take cutler's contract for a draft pick. We'll give you a third.

I agree with you, I don't see Garrett as a disciplinarian, and JJ would probably better off if he got a hard ass coach to keep his players in line. Thing is JJ wants a coach who won't fight back on his decisions and he can't keep his nose out of football operations activities.

i don't think JJ can get good coaches in Dallas because nobody wants to put up with a meddling owner. He has to settle for mediocre yes-men coaches instead.

yeah...that's why jerry and stephen talk like garrett nowadays--because garrett is a pushover. that's why JJ declined to draft the guy he really, really wanted--because jerry is a power-hungry maniac who runs roughshod over everyone who disagrees with him. that's why JJ has spent 3 of the last 4 1st round picks on offensive linemen. that's why in the last 4 years, the cowboys went from one of the oldest teams in the league to one of the youngest. that's why the cowboys have gone from overpaying aging talent to cutting all-pros.

strangely, all of this stuff has coincided with garrett's tenure. but the "meddling" narrative somehow continues...

sirensong, on 10 Nov 2014 - 1:12 PM, said:

yeah...that's why jerry and stephen talk like garrett nowadays--because garrett is a pushover. that's why JJ declined to draft the guy he really, really wanted--because jerry is a power-hungry maniac who runs roughshod over everyone who disagrees with him. that's why JJ has spent 3 of the last 4 1st round picks on offensive linemen. that's why in the last 4 years, the cowboys went from one of the oldest teams in the league to one of the youngest. that's why the cowboys have gone from overpaying aging talent to cutting all-pros.

strangely, all of this stuff has coincided with garrett's tenure. but the "meddling" narrative somehow continues...

I really don't think the new "direction" this team has taken the past 4 years or so has been bcoz of Garrett being the HC. I think the new approach has been in spite of Garrett being the HC. I think 18 years of sucking ass and being the butt end of NFL jokes is what finally got Jerry to take his head out of his own ass and wake up. As great as a guy Red Jesus may be, he's done very little to impress me as a "guy in charge." In the past couple of years Garrett has been stripped of play calling duties, told no (by Jerry) to bringing in N. Turner and was told S. Linehan would be joining the staff to call plays... That doesn't sound like the kind of authority the guy in charge would be wielding... Then there's the on-the-field stuff that makes you wonder. Did Romo really need to be out there start of the 4th quarter y-day? Did Garrett really think it was a good idea to have his star qb with 2 broken bones in his back be on the field to clean up an out of hand game? If he did - then it's even more proof he's not fit to run this team.

Uh Jerry's SON was the one who stopped him from drafting Manziel...not the coach.

I agree. I don't think this is a case of Ryan being a bad coach. I think it's a case of the owner blowing up his team and preparing the way for the next regime. The next HC is going to come in with tons of cap space, which Ryan didn't have the luxury of. Would it shock anyone to see him wind up in Atlanta? They have the ready made offense, outside of that god-awful offensive line. Someone will give him a shot.

Is Rex calling the defensive plays in NY? How's that gonna work with Nolan?

Uh Jerry's SON was the one who stopped him from drafting Manziel...not the coach.

impossible.

jerry is a power-hungry maniac who listens to no one.

he certainly doesn't listen to his son, who strangely enough talks just like garrett, and is completely on board with garrett's philosophy of rebuilding the offensive and defensive lines to get back to a more physical football team.

when garrett was first promoted, he said he wanted the team to get younger, deeper, and more physical. 4 years later, the team is one of the youngest in the league, the massive contracts for underperforming talent have gone out the window, the offensive line is one of the best in the league, and stephen has stated that the next project is to rebuild the defensive line in a more physical mold.

so who is influencing whom?

edit: sorry for the thread derail.

So the Bears quit playing in NE and GB. The last two games have been historic performances. The environment Sunday at Soldier Field will probably be more friendly towards the Vikings than the Bears. This debacle will cost Trestman his job for sure but also might get the GM Emery as well. They just need to burn it all down and start fresh.

I hate Trestman. They tied a 91 year old record and might break it this week. I want nooses.

I hate Trestman. They tied a 91 year old record and might break it this week. I want nooses.

I think the team has quit playing for him outright. He needs to go.

Jerry is finally listening to somebody else besides himself. That person is Stephen, not Garrett. If he had any kind of stroke at all, Linehan would not be here and Red would still be calling the plays.

Looking back at the recent draft - Jerry denies the claims of Jim Dent who writes in his book (Manziel Mania) that Stephen physically snatched the selection card w/Manziel's name on it out of his hands (he's also strangely failed to sue Dent yet). Jerry does however admit that it was Stephen that talked him into taking Z. Martin with that first round pick. No mention of Garrett is ever heard during the deliberations of that pick. Again, rather bizarre happenings for the guy who is supposed to be in charge.

Jerry is finally listening to somebody else besides himself. That person is Stephen, not Garrett. If he had any kind of stroke at all, Linehan would not be here and Red would still be calling the plays.

Looking back at the recent draft - Jerry denies the claims of Jim Dent who writes in his book (Manziel Mania) that Stephen physically snatched the selection card w/Manziel's name on it out of his hands (he's also strangely failed to sue Dent yet). Jerry does however admit that it was Stephen that talked him into taking Z. Martin with that first round pick. No mention of Garrett is ever heard during the deliberations of that pick. Again, rather bizarre happenings for the guy who is supposed to be in charge.

I think that's because Dent could prove it's true. I do believe it's Jerry's son that is providing some stability to the organization, not Garrett. Looking at some of Garrett's press conferences and coaching decisions over the years, he still comes across as a total yes-man. Jerry is probably still near the top of the list for worst owners, he has no business even being on the draft floor, never mind picking a selection card. The meddling ownder tag is still around, because it's still valid. Imagine if Jerry had got his way with the Manziel pick? My god...

Him and Dan Snyder are just a running joke at this point. While the Cowboys have been surprising this year, they're not in the playoffs yet. If Garrett is a good coach, with that talented of a team and the RB he has, he should be able to get them into the playoffs at least.

The Deadskins are just another debacle. They've ruined the career of RG3, (or more accurately they allowed Mike Shanahan to ruin a propsective rookie with great upside). and Snyder still thinks he can build a team through free agent signings. I guess the litany of FA busts in Washington (D. Sanders, B. Smith, A. Haynesworth) still hasn't taught him his lesson. Snyder is the biggest idiot owner in the NFL by a longshot.

While the Cowboys have been surprising this year, they're not in the playoffs yet. If Garrett is a good coach, with that talented of a team and the RB he has, he should be able to get them into the playoffs at least.

:shocking:

3rd worst defense in NFL history--renowned as a wasteland of talent--lost their 3 best players in the offseason.

interior offensive line consists of a rookie, a 2nd year guy who everyone said was a massive reach, and a 3rd year UDFA. RT is a guy who everyone said was a washed-up hack. RB has never played a full season in his career.

according to PFF, dallas ranks in the bottom half of the league in roster talent, just below tampa bay. miami has a more talented roster. PHI is far, far better.

i'll agree that if DAL misses the playoffs this year (barring injury to romo), garrett has failed. but this talent trope has become ridiculous. DAL is a talent-starved organization that is finally coming together as more puzzle pieces are added in line with an overall personnel philosophy.

:shocking:

3rd worst defense in NFL history--renowned as a wasteland of talent--lost their 3 best players in the offseason.

interior offensive line consists of a rookie, a 2nd year guy who everyone said was a massive reach, and a 3rd year UDFA. RT is a guy who everyone said was a washed-up hack. RB has never played a full season in his career.

according to PFF, dallas ranks in the bottom half of the league in roster talent, just below tampa bay. miami has a more talented roster. PHI is far, far better.

i'll agree that if DAL misses the playoffs this year (barring injury to romo), garrett has failed. but this talent trope has become ridiculous. DAL is a talent-starved organization that is finally coming together as more puzzle pieces are added in line with an overall personnel philosophy.

Let's look strictly at the offense, Romo can't control what his defense does. In the key positions Dallas is pretty talented. Overall, maybe not so much.

I base talent on 'how many of my guys could start for other teams'. On offense you've got Romo, Murray, Dez, Witten, 3 offensive lineman and I'd argue - Williams as a 2nd wr. That's pretty strong. On defense, ick - not so much. Melton, Scandrick, maybe McClain? I don't think it's any secret that Jerry and Stephen will go defense heavy in the 2015 draft - and I'm totally on board with that.

I base talent on 'how many of my guys could start for other teams'. On offense you've got Romo, Murray, Dez, Witten, 3 offensive lineman and I'd argue - Williams as a 2nd wr. That's pretty strong. On defense, ick - not so much. Melton, Scandrick, maybe McClain? I don't think it's any secret that Jerry and Stephen will go defense heavy in the 2015 draft - and I'm totally on board with that.

That's why I don't necessarily think Garrett should be fired. I think he's done a reasonable job with what he has, and it's not like there are a significant number of better coaches out there.

Those of you saying Thomlin should be fired, that's crazy, but if he did get fired, he'd have a new job in a week.

Trestman has to go, and I'm not even sure about his future as a HC in the NFL. I can see him ending up as an OC again. I think Ryan has to go, just for the team to reset and change the culture, but Ryan could end up employed as a HC again.

That's why I don't necessarily think Garrett should be fired. I think he's done a reasonable job with what he has, and it's not like there are a significant number of better coaches out there.

Now this is where I jump off of the wagon with you. I absolutely think he needs to go - and it has nothing to do with the talent he's had to use around him. Garrett is w/out question one of the worst game clock managers I've ever seen. Time and time again we've seen him mismanage the clock and/or look lost when it comes to Time Out usage. Garrett has also shown an inability to close out games. Cowboys fans remember all too well the giant leads we had against the Lions (last 2 times we played them) and the Packers last year - games that Garrett single handedly gave away bcoz he insisted on continuing to throw the ball.... Oddly enough, Dallas has found a way to get the job done this year. Did Garrett all of the sudden figure it out, or is it the combo of Linehan and Kiffin being there in the coordinator roles? If you answer it's Garrett - keep in mind, this is the same Jason Garrett that had Romo still in the game, mid 4th quarter, of a blow out game in London. The same Tony Romo with 2 fractures in his back.

Now this is where I jump off of the wagon with you. I absolutely think he needs to go - and it has nothing to do with the talent he's had to use around him. Garrett is w/out question one of the worst game clock managers I've ever seen. Time and time again we've seen him mismanage the clock and/or look lost when it comes to Time Out usage. Garrett has also shown an inability to close out games. Cowboys fans remember all too well the giant leads we had against the Lions (last 2 times we played them) and the Packers last year - games that Garrett single handedly gave away bcoz he insisted on continuing to throw the ball.... Oddly enough, Dallas has found a way to get the job done this year. Did Garrett all of the sudden figure it out, or is it the combo of Linehan and Kiffin being there in the coordinator roles? If you answer it's Garrett - keep in mind, this is the same Jason Garrett that had Romo still in the game, mid 4th quarter, of a blow out game in London. The same Tony Romo with 2 fractures in his back.

That said, making a move at coach is only worthwhile if it's an upgrade.

What coaches would be willing to come to Dallas? Do you want an NFL retread, or something new from the college level, or a promotion of a former OC/DC?

Even good coaches have trouble managing the clock for some reason, for example I've seen Reid it up a lot of times.

DaBeerz, on 12 Nov 2014 - 2:40 PM, said:

That said, making a move at coach is only worthwhile if it's an upgrade.

What coaches would be willing to come to Dallas? Do you want an NFL retread, or something new from the college level, or a promotion of a former OC/DC?

Even good coaches have trouble managing the clock for some reason, for example I've seen Reid ###### it up a lot of times.

And there in lies the question - who would you get? To be honest, I'm not sure. But whomever it was I'd certainly be glad to take a shot on bcoz I've seen what Garret can do. This isn't a 1 year-panic attack. Garrett's had 4 seasons to maybe not so much win, but show me he knows how to win - and I've not seen it. His deal is up end of this season - I have no desire to see him for another 3 or even 2 years.

And there in lies the question - who would you get? To be honest, I'm not sure. But whomever it was I'd certainly be glad to take a shot on bcoz I've seen what Garret can do. This isn't a 1 year-panic attack. Garrett's had 4 seasons to maybe not so much win, but show me he knows how to win - and I've not seen it. His deal is up end of this season - I have no desire to see him for another 3 or even 2 years.

Well having only watched Dallas sporadically over the last few seasons I'll take your word for it. It sounds like a lot of the Romo-collapses have been blamed on him, when it wasn't entirely his fault.

Why do you say Marrone will be gone when the Bills have totally exceeded expectations so far this year? Even if they finish 8-8 or 9-7 and miss the playoffs, what did they expect, it's Kyle freaking Orton and EJ Manuel. Is there any coach in the league who could get into the playoffs and win with those QB's? ###### even if they post a record above .500, that's progress over the last few years. How can it be playoffs or bust for Marrone, when everyone knows there is no way in hell NE Pats aren't winning the division?

Buffalo GM should be gone, and the scouting staff have drafted terribly over the last few years. Them throwing another HC on the fire would be a pointless move.

Agree with this post completely. The Bills have most definitely over achieved this season, especially with all the injuries.

I can think of a few coaches that should be fired but will not because they are black.

And I haven't heard a peep here about an extension. Pretty tough to coach under such circumstances, and to Garrett's credit he hasn't let it affect him.

I respect the job he's done, having to deal with Jones and such, but he made the decision. I'm just wondering who's really behind the change in game plan to a power running game?

I am really happy with the progress the coaching staff have made here in Detroit. It just feels different. Exciting. Like they may actually know what they are doing.

Granted, some of the games have been closer than what they should have been, and Detroit really should be 8-1 rather than 7-2 (idiot kickers), but they have played really well. I am especially impressed with Terrell Austin, whom Jim Caldwell brought in to be the DC. Their defense has been a complete turnaround.

And I haven't heard a peep here about an extension. Pretty tough to coach under such circumstances, and to Garrett's credit he hasn't let it affect him.

I respect the job he's done, having to deal with Jones and such, but he made the decision. I'm just wondering who's really behind the change in game plan to a power running game?

Agreed - Garrett knew the situation and the umbrella he'd be working under when he signed up......... Jerry in on record (I've heard him say it many times) that he will never give up control or power over the team. That means we will never have a Cowher, Bilicheck or C. Kelly type guy - no more J. Johnson's around here. I also don't buy the idea it might have been Garrett's idea to go to the run game. We've seen time and time again, Garrett's idea of getting a lead is to throw it, then his idea of protecting a lead is to throw it even more... I really think the driving force behind the new movement has been Stephen - Jerry is finally letting him in. In turn, Stephen is one who actually listens and values the opinions of scouts, unlike his father.

Agreed - Garrett knew the situation and the umbrella he'd be working under when he signed up......... Jerry in on record (I've heard him say it many times) that he will never give up control or power over the team. That means we will never have a Cowher, Bilicheck or C. Kelly type guy - no more J. Johnson's around here. I also don't buy the idea it might have been Garrett's idea to go to the run game. We've seen time and time again, Garrett's idea of getting a lead is to throw it, then his idea of protecting a lead is to throw it even more... I really think the driving force behind the new movement has been Stephen - Jerry is finally letting him in. In turn, Stephen is one who actually listens and values the opinions of scouts, unlike his father.

That's the thing, I think if JJ would give up control, that could be the best thing for his team. Get a good solid GM in there and a coach with some balls and they could start winning. The owner should never be the focus of the team. Do most of your average football fans even know who owns the Pats, Packers, Steelers for example? I bet they don't if you asked, but they sure know who the coaches are...Guys like JJ and Snyder just have to be front and center and make themselves bigger than their team, which is detrimental and why they're never likely to win the big dance any time soon.

DaBeerz, on 13 Nov 2014 - 2:24 PM, said:

That's the thing, I think if JJ would give up control, that could be the best thing for his team.

That would be something crazy. Like I said, Jerry has done countless interviews on the radio - making no bones about it, he will never give up control.

That would be something crazy. Like I said, Jerry has done countless interviews on the radio - making no bones about it, he will never give up control.

If I were a Dallas fan, I'd find that frustrating. Like Al Davis frustrating, where you're basically waiting for an out-of-touch owner to die or pass the team over to their offspring so you can finally move forward (not that the Raiders have really done that yet, but at least now they're just the Raiders not Al Davis's Raiders).

What has JJ done that's been good since the superbowls they won in the 90s?

If I were a Dallas fan, I'd find that frustrating. Like Al Davis frustrating, where you're basically waiting for an out-of-touch owner to die or pass the team over to their offspring so you can finally move forward (not that the Raiders have really done that yet, but at least now they're just the Raiders not Al Davis's Raiders).

What has JJ done that's been good since the superbowls they won in the 90s?

Uh HELLO, why do you think I get so pissed at this team???? lol

But seriously, it drives me crazy - has for many, many, many years. I bash the leadership and direction of my own team more than anyone I know - but it doesn't make a dent. Jerry is packing the house week in and week out and the $$ is flowing like a waterfall. Until Jerry eithers falls into a coma or croaks - things aren't going to change. Fortunately Jerry is finally showing some signs of listening to Stephen, and in turn, Stephen is taking more and more advice from the scouts. We will see how much farther that direction goes.