Sign in to follow this  
Frank   M

Manziel says he needs to stop being a jackass

He sounds like a 15 year old.

BEREA, Ohio -- Johnny Manziel apologized Monday to his teammates for being a distraction and took full responsibility for partying too late and oversleeping for his Saturday morning treatment.

He said "it's 100 percent false'' that he had party Friday night and that it led to Josh Gordon also missing the walk-through, but he acknowledged that he has to learn from his mistakes or he's going to be out of the league.

"There's nothing I can sit here and tell you (that will make this go away),'' he said. "I can't sit here and talk to these mics or these cameras or anything that's going to do any good. It's about actions, it's about being accountable and doing what I'm going to say instead of looking like a jackass."

After telling reporters on Tuesday that he had grown up and wasn't the same person, he partied late into the night on Friday with three friends who were in town from his hometown of Kerrville, Texas, and didn't make it up in time. The Browns had to send security personnel to his house to make sure he was OK.

"I was just letting my guard down a little bit,'' he said. "I think that's exactly what it was. It was a mistake by me and if I'm going to continue to not learn from some of these things -- because when I sat here and talked to you guys last Tuesday, there's not a bit of doubt that goes into my mind that I'm completely serious about everything that I'm talking about moving forward.

"But at the same time, you can sit here and say and talk and say this all you want, but when your actions don't reflect that, and you make a conscious decision to put yourself in the position that you stay out too late and not wake up the next morning, that's going to cause a lot of trouble, so I did that to myself.

"I brought this on myself. I brought these cameras and all these people that are in this locker room right now and I don't think it's fair to myself, I don't think it's fair to anybody in this locker room the distractions I've brought at points in time.

"So I'm sorry to these guys that are veterans in this locker room and know what it takes, that I'm having to learn the hard way. At the same time, I'm either going to learn or I'm going to be finding something else to do."

Manziel, who vowed Tuesday to dedicate himself to the game, said the Browns should keep the faith in him.

"I think I've been a work in progress throughout this year,'' he said. "There have been a lot of ups and downs. There have been some good things and bad things. You know but I'm still an extremely competitive person and know what I want to do in my life. I know what is important to me and now it is time to come in here, look myself in the mirror and hold myself accountable and start making some deals with myself.

"These problems I'm doing in my life that are occurring every now and then are bumps and things in the past have caught up to me. I need to start doing every single thing and everything the right way and if I don't I'm going to be exposed."

He acknowledged that he's cheated the fans, who embraced him from the moment he was drafted.

"I don't think I've been fair to them as well,'' he said. "I didn't come out and perform this year and that's what it comes down to. It was a different situation for me than I had been in the past. I'm upset with how I have handled things at times. I did grow up and then I took a step back. It is the same story with me. We're taking one step forward and then two steps back.

"Now it is really in my court. What do I want to do and what do I want to be known as? Do I want to be known as a guy who has been in this league two years and now doing something different with his life or come in here compete, give this thing a fair chance and work my ass off to be the quarterback and person I know I am. Am I going to put the time in and do what I need to do to be successful and that's what it comes down to."

Manziel explained what happened Friday night, all the way insisting that he didn't have a party.

"Yeah, I made a decision to go out on Friday night and that was really that, you know, it's unfortunate that it was reported the way it was,'' he said. "I woke up extremely upset Saturday morning, I felt bad I let my team down.

"Obviously, I wasn't a part of the game plan last week but at the same time I still need to be accountable to my teammates and be here and supporting those guys. So I was disappointed in myself and for that to be reported that I threw a party and was responsible for another individual on this team getting in trouble, which is 100 percent false.

"It sucks that I feel like the perception I've based around myself, you know I've done this to myself that that was allowed to be reported and people were allowed to just nod their head ands act like that went on, when in fact it was completely untrue and it sucked to get up and have that perception on Sunday morning feeling as bad as I did already about what happened.''

Manziel explained that he partied with friends, but didn't throw a party.

"No, absolutely not,'' he said. "I had people in town who were staying with me this week but I mean if three people from Kerrville, Texas, are enough to warrant a party, well it might be, we're from Kerrville, so ... but it's absolutely ridiculous. I was irate about that yesterday and it's really shameful that they did report thast that way and it was tied directly in with Josh as well.''

He said he was with Gordon, but not at night.

"I'm not Josh Gordon,'' he said. "I was with Josh Gordon at a point earlier in the day, but at nighttime, no I was not with Josh. I don't know what his whereabouts were. It's probably something you should ask him."

Gordon was not available for comment on getaway day in the locker room.

Manziel also said he wasn't intentionally favoriting tweets during the game. His account showed a favorite of a TMZ tweet about Chris Rock's divorce.

"I was on my phone and it was an accident,'' he said.

Whether he stops being a jackass or not, he will never be a quality NFL quarterback. Undrafted Connor Shaw showed more poise and control of the offense in 4 quarters than Johnny. Say hello to the 2014 Ryan Leaf award winner.

focking browns, being browns

manziel, weeden, mccoy, quinn, frye, couch

yeah, that's some good sh*t right there

Can't wait to see who the Browns draft next season .

And people wonder why Manziel fell as far as he did in the Draft. He was born with a platinum spoon. He has Mommy & Daddy's money to spend / fall back on. HE DOESN'T NEED TO BE GOOD IN THE NFL, TO BE A MILLIONAIRE / SUCCESSFUL. With Mike Evans' rookie year - maybe Texam A&M's success was more due to who was catching Johnny's passes, than Johnny himself?

I think Manziel is an utter assclown but if I'm judging him on just what he said, it's the right message. I'm not going to put any stick in it or faith that he will follow through, but I'm also not going to rip him for sounding contrite for the first time ever.

I agree with Johnny football

He had this rap coming into the league and he's done nothing this first year to show he was mislabeled. Worse though, since then he's now also put up some miserable game tape to go along with his character questions.

That said, I think this is a good quote. I agree, he needs to stop being a jackass. I don't really like him because I think he is a jackass but at least he realizes it.

People can change. I think of Allen Iverson who went from being a horrible person/teammate and league pariah when we first got to know him to cleaning up his act, grew up, and showing real maturity and leadership towards the end of his career. Of course Iverson always had talent you wanted around even you didn't want his attitude. It gave him some rope to climb rather than hang himself with. If Manziel wants to stick, he is going to have to clean up both and do so in a hurry. I do believe he has the talent in him even though we didn't see any sign of it this year.

As for maturity, again, admitting it's a problem is a good start. I don't know if denying the party happened helps if the party did -in fact- happen. Considering that the Browns sent people to his house to check up on him...let's just say he has got some more work to do. Talk is cheap.

ESPN Cleveland suggests Kirk Cousins may be the Browns' "prime target" as they search for a quarterback this offseason.

Browns OC Kyle Shanahan is fond of Cousins, who was drafted by the Shanahans in 2012 with Washington. If Cleveland plays its cards right, it should be able to acquire Cousins for a late-round pick. The Browns reportedly tried to trade for Cousins during the 2014 draft, offering the Redskins a fourth-round pick. At the time, the Skins wanted "at least a second." Browns beat writer Tony Grossi expects Cousins to be the Browns' "top target" this offseason.

problem solved

ESPN Cleveland suggests Kirk Cousins may be the Browns' "prime target" as they search for a quarterback this offseason.

Browns OC Kyle Shanahan is fond of Cousins, who was drafted by the Shanahans in 2012 with Washington. If Cleveland plays its cards right, it should be able to acquire Cousins for a late-round pick. The Browns reportedly tried to trade for Cousins during the 2014 draft, offering the Redskins a fourth-round pick. At the time, the Skins wanted "at least a second." Browns beat writer Tony Grossi expects Cousins to be the Browns' "top target" this offseason.

problem solved

I'd take him in a heartbeat. Much more palatable than trying to package and move up to get Mariotta or Winston.

I'd take him in a heartbeat. Much more palatable than trying to package and move up to get Mariotta or Winston.

i wonder if the eagles will make a push for #1 or 2 pick?

I don't get why Cousins is a better QB than Hoyer. They had no stability at RB, WR, TE, or the OL...

Johnny Douche will be out of football and running full time with Justin Beebs in 2 years.

Johnny Douche will be out of football and running full time with Justin Beebs in 2 years.

I don't think so, but I think it will be the second team in on him that reaps the rewards... He will get released/cut/traded for scraps, the media firestorm will fall on him and humble him, and he will go on to be a capable middling starting QB somewhere else. A Jake Plummer with a little more athleticism.

DankNuggs, on 30 Dec 2014 - 09:41 AM, said:

He will get released/cut/traded for scraps, the media firestorm will fall on him and humble him, and he will go on to be a capable middling starting QB somewhere else. A Jake Plummer with a little more athleticism.

Not sure what rewards are there to be had. Manziel has no arm strength, can't see down the field and can't simply run away from guys like he did in college bcoz the guys chasing him are just as fast. At least Plummer could see over the line and could deliver a 15 yard out.

Not sure what rewards are there to be had. Manziel has no arm strength, can't see down the field and can't simply run away from guys like he did in college bcoz the guys chasing him are just as fast. At least Plummer could see over the line and could deliver a 15 yard out.

6th round talent at a first round price, what a steal

If they're smart they won't.

I don't think so, but I think it will be the second team in on him that reaps the rewards... He will get released/cut/traded for scraps, the media firestorm will fall on him and humble him, and he will go on to be a capable middling starting QB somewhere else. A Jake Plummer with a little more athleticism.

I know it's just his rookie year, but what have you seen from him that would suggest that? Attitude problems aside, I just don't think he can play at this level :dunno:

they need a qb to run that offense

They also need multiple players in the secondary, a wide receiver, and depth at OL and LB. They have a QB who is cheap and at worst a decent bridge starter. There are too many other holes to mortgage the future to get a top QB. And many other teams ahead if then are going to be able to offer more anyway.

They also need multiple players in the secondary, a wide receiver, and depth at OL and LB. They have a QB who is cheap and at worst a decent bridge starter. There are too many other holes to mortgage the future to get a top QB. And many other teams ahead if then are going to be able to offer more anyway.

i agree with you that it's a bad step to mortgage the future, their secondary has to be their #1 concern

No, they will not.

They hate us because they "anus".

Manziel

I like it. That's a good quote.

He was so upset Saturday and disappointed at the way things had gone that, during the game Sunday, he "favorited" (didn't know that was a word) tweets.

But it's ok. He was on his phone and it was an accident.

When somebody shows you who they are, believe them.

So, let me get this straight. This dude apologizes to management and the fans in the morning and 10 hours later he's boozing it up in Miami.

http://www.tmz.com/2014/12/30/johnny-manziel-partying-video-lebron-james-birthday-miami-club/

Why can't he simply just stay low.

Oh good grief. The guy missed his calling in life. He should be selling used cars.

Or toxic mortgages.

They say NFL is a business? Well in business there isn't a hiring manager anywhere that would be impressed with a handshake and nice to meet you mister.

Are you kidding me?