Sign in to follow this  
Giants Fan

Unba-focking-leavable - Biggest poker loss in years

Tonight started fine. Then it all went to hell. First, big stack felts me when I have AA. Imagine this, non paired, non 3 flush board and I shoved on the turn with AA, drawing dead. How is that even possible? It's possible because he had a straight with 79. NP, I rebuy. I get a litle short, then succeed at trapping a guy who shoves at me with 4 outs, I call, he hits. Lost with AA, QQ and JJ. Can't beat bad players lately. Whatever it is you need, that card is coming. Only way I have been able to win is bluffing. Won one decent pot tonight with 72 off where I rivered a boat. Meanwhile, games are great, good as they have ever been, I am just running like hell. -$540 on the night. I saw horrible players cashing out racks tonight. Talking about how good the games have been. I saw a guy shove over the top ... With ace high on a QQ22x board, against 2 players left in the hand and one of them had quad queens and had led out on the river for $100. Guy shoves over the top for like $80 more with ace high.

I'm already done with poker. I have grown to despise the game, and even more the people that play it. Most of them, anyway. There are a few guys that I like, but I could go on and on about the ones I don't. You hafta be at least a little bit of an a-hole to be any good at poker in the first place. I got like 6 more weeks, and I'm out. This year so far though, has been my worst downswing ever. I'm like -$1600 on the year.

Oh, the good news is one guy I don't like got banned for 30 days. This guy shows up, I dunno, a year ago, calls himself Adam and wears the same U of A hat as me, but he's middle eastern. Anyway, he's a and he talks a lot during hands. He pretended to be my friend and then he would say things like "I got aces up" in a hand, when he knew I just had an ace and would fold. Anyway, apparently he threatened some guy, "Let's go out in the parking lot." or something like that, and the guy, who did not get banned said, "I got a gun in my car." floor get's called, and "gun in my car" guy is like, "Hey, he threatened me, I have a right to defend myself." or something ... 30 day ban.

Somewhere on the internets somebody is talking about some bad beat against an idiot who played 7 2 off and rivered a boat. Eventually you will realize that you aren't very good at this game. Maybe. :dunno:

It's not just poker. It's all kinds of stuff. Ever have a day where it seems everything possible goes wrong? that's been the past week for me. Down like $1300 playing poker, but also shiat like the electrical in the house going out, during the Superbowl. Hot water heater is blowing the fuse, so I unwire it, fuse still blows. Had 2 guys out to look at it, possibly gonna be a big job. Step dad is not happy, he's gonna be the one to pay, and doesn't know shiat about anything. First guy he called, shows up 3 hours late, like 90 years old, seems al confused, admits to me that he can't see. So, I email my Dad, who has restored a lot of houses, he gives me a number, I call it, wrong number. I google the name of the company. Call that number, mailbox is full. Find another number by google, call that number. "oh let me call the guy, and I'll get back to you." Guy comes over, and he seems pretty good actually. He's just an estimator. So, he is gonna meet with the electrician, go over the job and get back to me with a couple estimates. There's the fix it cheap version ...say $250 and there's the fix it for good version, more like $700.

So I call my step-dad. No answer. I call my Mom. Try an explain things to her. First guy, blind, second guy, seems good, etc. doing all I can to help. How I have to heat up water on a stove to take a bath. And I don't even want to get into the conversation, but she kept intererupting me, and cell phones are still shiatty at making clear phone calls, she kept on asking stupid questions before I could finish. "How much is the second guy charging us for today?" and since I am not paying for it, I had to just suffer through the conversation and try and explain it.

At one point during this whole thing, my Mom says, in an effort to make me feel better, "Yah know in Africa, they just use a bucket." That's the kicker. The house next door, which is currently occupied by some old lady friend of theirs, has a tankless heater, that barely works. So, both houses, no hot water.

Somewhere on the internets somebody is talking about some bad beat against an idiot who played 7 2 off and rivered a boat. Eventually you will realize that you aren't very good at this game. Maybe. :dunno:

You wanna know how the hand went?

I had 7,2 off in the BB. I remember, because I bought the BB for $3 and then I am thinking, great, there goes $3. Flop comes some random crap with a 2. 2, 5, 9 rainbow. Checks to me, I take a stab at it, bet $7. One caller. Turn comes, 2. I know it is valuetown at this point (Spanish Inquisition). I bet $15 and he calls. River comes a 7. I value bet again, $20 and he calls. I say, "I got The Hammer" and proudly show my cards and he mucks.

Now, I think I played the hand just fine. You wanna tell me where I messed it up?

Oh yeah, and I got banned from 2+2 again. Fock those guys. I try and explain something to them, a decision I made in seconds, takes me a week to explain it to these "GTO nerds", I get upset about it, and the I get banned for "tarding it up"

Fine, waste of my time anyway.

So, here's the real question, by April 1 of this year, no matter what my BR is at, I am quitting this game. There's a lot of reasons for it, but one big part of it is that over time, and I have been playing at this place for 5 years, to make what I hafe made, which after tips and everything comes to way less than $5 an hour, even with a $10k plus day that greatly skews the average.

It's almost imposible to beat this game, rake and tips over time. Low level spread limit cash game. If I can quit while I'm ahead .... and I will still play tournaments occasionally, that's more than most people can say. I was profitable in Live MTTs before I moved to cash games. Quit playing cash several times before already. Then last year I had a couple 4 figure profitable days playing cash, and one five figures. That changed my mind. One hand, this year, where I flopped the nut flush draw and missed, I hit a club on the turn or th river, I am -$300 on the year.

Shiat is just going bad. Can't win. Seahawks losing the SB, all my fault. I didn't even bet on it, wanted them to win though.

So, the real question ... since I am quitting poker, is what do I do now? Working for my Mom @ $11 an hour is depressing.

Oh yeah, and the electrician who looked at stuff today said, looking at my parts car that I can't sell, "That's worth $2500, right there." i would sell it for a heartbeat, and worth every penny of $2500 ... can't find a buyer.

Techinacally, it's 2 sessions, 2 different tables. 2 sessions, half hour apart. I actually went home and got $300 more in cash, drove back. Takes me like 15 minutes back and forth, in the Miata. After I lost to that 4 outer, I just decided, "I am not going out like that." and on tilt, not playing my best game, I lost another $260, of that $300.

Made some good laydowns. Left with $40. JJ preflop one time, guy had aces and I read him right and folded. Really, not playing bad. Just sometimes, it's not in the cards. Just gotta walk away, take a break, clear my head. Been so sick lately. I did win a hand today with two red kings. Shoved on the flop with 3 clubs, including the ace. Was just like fockit ... Rep a big ace with clubs and the guy folded.

But big pairs have been killing me. JJ-AA, I am like 1 for 9 recently. AA is quickly becoming my least favorite hand.

If in question,,the four outer:

old Mexican dude, I have seen before, but he is not around much anymore, not very good, but aggressive. Been a long time, since I seen this dude, but it doesn't matter, I understand his game, right away. He makes a big preflop raise with A9 off and then he just bombs the flop, all in. Especially is there is an ace or a 9. Or even second pair. So, I get KJd and I limp/call this old Mexican. Flop is 9d, 4d, 2s. i check, he bets $15 and I call. The turn is the Kc. I check again, he shoves. Trap set and spung. i snap call, Qs on the river and he says "2 pair" ... Turns over Q9 off.

Now, you may say 3 queens and two nines, that's 5 outs. Qd gives me a flush. 4 outs.

The AA cracked hand the guy caught a gutshot, too. He had 79 and he called my pfr to $10, called my c-bet of $25 on a 3, 6, 10 board. 8 turn, I shove like $120, of course he calls.

I am drawing dead. All in, with pocket aces, on the turn.

It's not just poker. It's all kinds of stuff.

I agree...you are terrible at all kinds of stuff...not just poker.

I agree...you are terrible at all kinds of stuff...not just poker.

Or ... And just hang with me for a second here, also possible .... God hates me. No matter how good I am at something, no matter how hard I work to improve ... God hates me, and I will fail. Usually someone does something stupid ...and I am the victim of that stupidity. Story of my life.

Or ... And just hang with me for a second here, also possible .... God hates me. No matter how good I am at something, no matter how hard I work to improve ... God hates me, and I will fail. Usually someone does something stupid ...and I am the victim of that stupidity. Story of my life.

You are constantly doing stupid things yourself and blaming it on others and now on God.

HTH

God doesn't hate you. There is no god.

You are just a shiftless lazy fock. HTH

Yeah, um ... I am gonna hafta go ahead and uh ... disagree with you guys there.

The only actually possibilty, is God hates me, and stupid people exist, just to get in my way and annoy me.

So, that being settled, let's move on to, an issue we have previously discussed. People are not wearing enough hats.

So, here's the real question, by April 1 of this year, no matter what my BR is at, I am quitting this game. There's a lot of reasons for it, but one big part of it is that over time, and I have been playing at this place for 5 years, to make what I hafe made, which after tips and everything comes to way less than $5 an hour, even with a $10k plus day that greatly skews the average.

It's almost imposible to beat this game, rake and tips over time. Low level spread limit cash game. If I can quit while I'm ahead .... and I will still play tournaments occasionally, that's more than most people can say. I was profitable in Live MTTs before I moved to cash games. Quit playing cash several times before already. Then last year I had a couple 4 figure profitable days playing cash, and one five figures. That changed my mind. One hand, this year, where I flopped the nut flush draw and missed, I hit a club on the turn or th river, I am -$300 on the year.

Shiat is just going bad. Can't win. Seahawks losing the SB, all my fault. I didn't even bet on it, wanted them to win though.

So, the real question ... since I am quitting poker, is what do I do now? Working for my Mom @ $11 an hour is depressing.

$5 an hour over a long sample size?

Take out the $10K and are you a winning poker player? Beating the game is difficult due to high rake and tips.

Pretty sure at $1/$2 if you can't win at least $10/hr you shouldn't waste your time unless you are a retiree killing time. Take the job with mom. Play when you want to have fun..

Oh, and $10/hr is still extremely low. Should be closer to $20/hr.

..Lost with AA, QQ and JJ. Can't beat bad players lately.

Sounds like they are pretty good at it.

Dont even need to read the post to tell the story. Lemme guess, "I had a great hand, my opponent called with a crap hand but won on the river." Pretty much every game of poker iv ever played.

With AA you don't let people see a flop for less than 25 bucks playing 1-2 ... 75 bucks playing 2-5 . If you bet like 12 bucks you deserved to lose

Look at poker graphs of the very best online professionals that play hundreds of thousands of more hands of poker than you and look at the insane variance of EV and profit.

Realize playing live you are ballpark seeing 30 hands an hour. Playing a 6 hour session you are seeing less than 200 hands. Those pros who are multitabling 15 tables are seeing 60 hands an hour each. That's 5400 hands over the same 6 hour session. That's the equivalent of 30 sessions for you. One night for them. (A light one at that).

You are a drop of sand on a variance graph even playing at top professional level. That's why pro players constantly go broke. Keep it in perspective

$5 an hour over a long sample size?

Take out the $10K and are you a winning poker player? Beating the game is difficult due to high rake and tips.

Pretty sure at $1/$2 if you can't win at least $10/hr you shouldn't waste your time unless you are a retiree killing time. Take the job with mom. Play when you want to have fun..

Oh, and $10/hr is still extremely low. Should be closer to $20/hr.

That's bullshiat. All the guys I know that grind like 40 hour weeks, do not make $20 an hour. They all have money from other sources and likely lie about how much they lose. But it's less than a zero sum game. Rake and tip, and of course the BBJ drop, all adds up. The $10k BBJ is one thing, but how much have I paid into that promotional fund? It's hard to determine, if it's a nickel a hand, it's thousands of dollars. I can count on one hand the players at my cardroom that I think are better than me, and this one guy, been running like God ... Seems to be making about $100 an hour lately, but variance will catch up with him too.

If there is a lot of fish, bad recs, sure, it's easy to make $20 an hour. When your opponents are almost as good as you, maybe 1 is better, and 1 is drunk, your edge isn't that big. You have to be a winning player JUST to cover rake, BBJ tokes and tips, and THEN be that much bettter to turn any kind of a profit. You hafta run good, also, these days. In other words, you hafta get lucky to win. Well. i might as well play blackjack.