Sign in to follow this  
bfros

Rookie RBs and WRs....

Just curious for you stat-heads:

How many times in the last 10 years or so has a rookie RB or rookie WR finished in the top 10 for their respective position in fantasy scoring? Or top 20?

Yeah I seriously would love to know, cause I bet it's very rare, yet we never ever act like it is.

Yeah I seriously would love to know, cause I bet it's very rare, yet we never ever act like it is.

Part of the fun is thinking we are all GMs and picking those 'gems' for every rookie season of Mike Trout, Anquan Boldin, and Adrian Peterson there are 30 Akili Smith, Trent Richardson, etc, etc.

The rookies and young guys are sexy and fun...we all tend to over value trying to be smart. If you find a solution let me know...I tend to do it every year....I'm drooling over Dorsett and Abdullah so far.....but common sense says there are 6 viable pass catchers in Indy and Luck will spread it....and Joique is the starter (maybe he will be hurt) but again....it's a LOT more fun to draft these young guys

it happens, but not a lot.

I dont have stats, but I know Tomlinson had 1200+ yards rushing as a rookie.

Adrian pederson had just over 1300 yards as a rookie.

so it does happen, but I'd say typically it is with generational talents.

Edgerrin james had a big rookie year, Barry sanders had a big one, Eric Dickerson too.

it used to be more likely a RB would be able to step in and produce as a rookie as compared to WR or QB, but WR's are more and more often coming in as rookies and are able to produce.

Just curious for you stat-heads:

How many times in the last 10 years or so has a rookie RB or rookie WR finished in the top 10 for their respective position in fantasy scoring? Or top 20?

Good question, I will add to it: How many of those rookies finishing in the top 10 or 20 in fantasy scoring were projected to be in the top 10 or 20 before the season started? (Not sure if that's what you meant but definitely something I am curious to know).

One thing to note (especially with RBs) is even though a rookie RB doesnt post killer stats, a lot of the time they come on late and put up #1 type numbers down the stretch. So you could have a rookie posting 800 yards and 6 tds on the season but a majority of that could have came during your playoff run