Sign in to follow this  
Old School

Denver Geeks- Vaca Advice?

Any of you Denver folks have any suggestions for things to do in Denver? Other than get high?

The wife (Asian Bs) and I are headed in for a quickie vacation- in Friday/ out Monday kinda deal later this month.

I think we will see the symphony at Boettcher Concert Hall, on 14th Street, either Saturday or Sunday, and will spend some time at the SGI Buddhist Center Saturday & Sunday morning on Speer Blvd.

Any recommendations on where to stay- where to stay away from, when I'm booking our hotel?

Nice dinner for Saturday night near the Boettcher Concert Hall?

I know there is a beer fest going on at the end of the month- any wineries nearby?

There's a couple bands at Red Rocks- but I never heard of them and tickets look like near $100 apiece.

Thanks

Monaco hotel is close (Panzano is good Italian)

edit: a little further away is the brown palace

Rioja

Bistro Vendome

euclid Hall

Oseria Marco

kevin taylor

Flying in this weekend. Staying in Englewood, at the Inverness resort. Looks like a good spot.

Octoberfest? Is it worth a visit?

Are the Denver zoo or aquarium good spots to see? I like that kind of stuff.

Is Santiago's a decent Southwest/ Mexican place, or glorified Taco Bell?

Probably get out for a drive Sunday. Not sure where to go. We did Breckenridge 4 years ago. It was cool. Guess we'll see what else is out there.

Rocky Moubtain National Park? Looks like a 2 hour drive from Denver.

• Like 1

Flying in this weekend. Staying in Englewood, at the Inverness resort. Looks like a good spot. Nice resort

Octoberfest? Is it worth a visit? i liked them in vail and beaver creek

Are the Denver zoo or aquarium good spots to see? I like that kind of stuff. both good

Is Santiago's a decent Southwest/ Mexican place, or glorified Taco Bell? haven't been

Probably get out for a drive Sunday. Not sure where to go. We did Breckenridge 4 years ago. It was cool. Guess we'll see what else is out there. vail is about 30 min further on 70. do the oktoberfest and check out the town.... larkspur, la tour, sweet basil, vail chop house if you want something nice. if you want german beyond brats...pepi's and alpenrose (my favorite places to hang after skiing).

Rocky Moubtain National Park? Looks like a 2 hour drive from Denver. estes park

Check out the Blue Bonnet just outside of downtown for kick-ass Mexican food. And if the Rockies are in town, go to a game. Coors Field is amazing :thumbsup:

Flying in this weekend. Staying in Englewood, at the Inverness resort. Looks like a good spot.

Octoberfest? Is it worth a visit? The one downtown on Larmier Street is fun. They shut down the streets and it is a good time

Are the Denver zoo or aquarium good spots to see? I like that kind of stuff. I think the zoo is better than the aquarium, but haven't been to either in years.

Is Santiago's a decent Southwest/ Mexican place, or glorified Taco Bell? There is better Messican food then Santiago's, but good breakfast burritos and green chili. Blue Bonnet sucks

Probably get out for a drive Sunday. Not sure where to go. We did Breckenridge 4 years ago. It was cool. Guess we'll see what else is out there. Rocky Mountain National Park and the Estes area is a good drive. I would make the drive up through Boulder instead of going over from Longmont though. Just a better drive.

Octoberfest? Is it worth a visit? The one downtown on Larmier Street is fun. They shut down the streets and it is a good time

Are the Denver zoo or aquarium good spots to see? I like that kind of stuff. I think the zoo is better than the aquarium, but haven't been to either in years.

Is Santiago's a decent Southwest/ Mexican place, or glorified Taco Bell? There is better Messican food then Santiago's, but good breakfast burritos and green chili. Blue Bonnet sucks

Probably get out for a drive Sunday. Not sure where to go. We did Breckenridge 4 years ago. It was cool. Guess we'll see what else is out there. Rocky Mountain National Park and the Estes area is a good drive. I would make the drive up through Boulder instead of going over from Longmont though. Just a better drive.

Pretty much all of this. Also, take a token trip to Red Rocks. Even if there isn't a show, you can go hang out there. It is completely open for you to just roam around on the stage and surrounding areas. The rock formations are massive and really cool.

A quick drive to Fort Collins and Old Town is fun (a little over an hour depending on traffic). A great walk-able downtown. You can fit a few brewery tours in up there too (New Belgium/Odell).

Pretty much all of this. Also, take a token trip to Red Rocks. Even if there isn't a show, you can go hang out there. It is completely open for you to just roam around on the stage and surrounding areas. The rock formations are massive and really cool.

A quick drive to Fort Collins and Old Town is fun (a little over an hour depending on traffic). A great walk-able downtown. You can fit a few brewery tours in up there too (New Belgium/Odell).

Yeah, good call on Red Rocks. That was pretty friggin awesome :thumbsup:

do the alpine slide and skin the hell out of your knees, it's so cool

Nice. I worked at a medical company literally a few blocks from your resort. Good news is you're in the nicest burb. Bad news is you're a ways from most touristy stuff.

I'm guessing you'll fly in Friday night. One of Denver's best restaurants is less than a mile away. Fleming's. Between dinner and drinks, you'll drop $100 per person, but it's well worth it.

One of the best party bars in town is also very close, Viewhouse. All windows facing the mountains is cool. Warning: if you go there, take a cab or uber. There will be no parking.

Saturday, I'd recommend going downtown. 16th street mall is great for people watching. Plenty of restaurants and shopping.

Which leads me to the fact the Rox are at home vs. the Dodgers this weekend. You can get party deck tix for less than $10 and that's where the fun is. It's best to make one trip around the field on the concourse. Stadium is beautiful. Just don't waste $ on better tix. You'll notice over half the people at the game are in the rf upper deck. :D

Sunday, I'd drive to red rocks. You can take 470 from the resort and traffic won't be bad. If you go all the way into the mountains, the drive back will likely end up with you or the Mrs. dead. Sunday afternoon would be good to hit the zoo or aquarium.

Also, if you want to know where to get weed, pm me.

Also, also, dress in layers.

Bluebonnet would be a good place for brunch on the way to Red Rocks.

Santiagos is more of a place to hit for burritos to go on your way back from the airport. Good Times is the same.

Another option on Sunday would be to drive to Pikes Peak. World famous drive not really much further than Red Rocks. Just south instead of west.

You do have the option of taking light rail downtown. If your resort will shuttle you to the light rail, I'd go that way. Uber will be outrageous and you don't want a dui here.

GFIAFP must be pushing his girlfriend down the stairs as we speak because we appear to be in a parallel universe where he has hijacked CH's account

GFIAFP must be pushing his girlfriend down the stairs as we speak because we appear to be in a parallel universe where he has hijacked CH's account

Fock off, toofy. I left some shizz out.

:D

Are you in KC? I could always drive down to match, err I mean meet you :o

Enjoying the short visit to Denver.

The Inverness Resort is pretty damn nice. Denver Tech Center area. Complimentary shuttle to local restaurants & stores-

Friday dinner at Landry's Seafood. Got the shuttle driver to stop at the liquor store.

Saturday a little downtown Denver action, the SGI center, 16th street mall/ Union Station. Lunch at the Kitchen on 16th.

Saturday night dinner at McCormicks & Schmidt's. then the Denver Symphony.

Sunday, we hit the SGI Center so the wife could join Japanese study. Breakfast at Dozens, off 13th. Damn good.

Next?